What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you are sure huh? You have never heard accent of Kustia but still you are sure that at best the accent of Kustia, Nadia had influence on Chalit. It seems you have inherited some characteristics of a famous district of Bangladesh, even you deny any direct connection with Bangladesh :omghaha:. :tup: for getting out of closet and embracing your true heritage :lol:.

PS- No disrespect to residents of any district of Bangladesh. I don't have any prejudice against residents of any district.

I do have friends from Nodia but the thing is at present it's hard to differentiate dialect of various districts of West Bengal unless you are from rural Bankura or Midnapur. Everyone speaks Chalit.

Anyway as I have already said and also mentioned by another user that Nadia in general and Nabadwip in particular could have influenced the development of Chalit with its rich cultural traditional, but if we listen to Britannica which quotes Suniti Chatujje, then Chalit is the dialect of Kolkata and other areas on Bhagirathi.

Why don't you provide us an authentic sample of Kustia dialect?

Here's is an example of authentic Chalit of West Bengal.

Stop living in denial. There is no shame in accepting a place in Bangladesh as your roots. I am from the same region and welcome you to visit us. The people are very hospitable, particularly in this part and you will love it ;)
I'm ethically Bengali, culturally Indian, a citizen of Republic of India and of agnostic religious view. Where does Bangladesh figure? ;-)

I'd certainly like to visit the country though, as a tourist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ethically Bengali, culturally Indian, a citizen of Republic of India and of agnostic religious view. Where does Bangladesh figure? ;-)

I was born and raised in Kuwait yet i am still a Bangladeshi as this is where my roots lie. Figure out the similarity ;)

I love how these Pole vaulters laugh at some of the peeps here who claim to be arab and then act like they are Bharotis and have no connection with Bangladesh. How fascinating :cheesy:

Tell me one thing, do you consider Bangladesh as a continuation of East Bengal?

I don't think anyone denies his/her East Bengal heritage, rather we are very proud of it. There's a reason East Bengal, Mohun Bagan derby regularly draws 1lakh crowd here and is included among the 50 top derbies of the word by Fifa.

I was born and raised in Kuwait yet i am still a Bangladeshi as this is where my roots lie. Figure out the similarity ;)

Wrong example, arab and Bangladeshi culture is mutually exclusive while Bengali is a subset of Indian culture. India as in the civilization, not the modern nation state.

I do have friends from Nodia but the thing is at present it's hard to differentiate dialect of various districts of West Bengal unless you are from rural Bankura or Midnapur. Everyone speaks Chalit.

Anyway as I have already said and also mentioned by another user that Nadia in general and Nabadwip in particular could have influenced the development of Chalit with its rich cultural traditional, but if we listen to Britannica which quotes Suniti Chatujje, then Chalit is the dialect of Kolkata and other areas on Bhagirathi.

Why don't you provide us an authentic sample of Kustia dialect?

Here's is an example of authentic Chalit of West Bengal.

I'd certainly like to visit the country though, as a tourist.

Read the book "Origin and Development of the Bengali Language" from Suniti Kumar Chatterji, you will find your answer. By the way, are you from English medium background? It was mention in our text book that "Chaltibhasa is based on the cultivated form of the dialects small towns on the Bhagirathi River and came into literary use since the early 20th century.".

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...-bangladesh-bangladeshi-64.html#ixzz2SRGEtxCn
@itsanufy thanks for remind me, i almost forgot that it was in our text book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, Wikipedia? Even then it says that the language of kusthia is similar to Chalit which I have been saying all along.

Here's from Britannica, hope it will put this debate to an end.

Bengali language -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Dude why are beating the bush again and agin.. Britanica said the same thing that i said earlier..
I am rephrasing from another source.
Choltibhasha (চলতিভাষা ) or Cholitobhasha (চলিতভাষা), a written Bengali style that reflects a more colloquial idiom, is increasingly the standard for written Bengali (চলিত cholito = 'current' or 'running'). This form came into vogue towards the turn of the 19th century, in an orthography promoted in the writings of Peary Chand Mitra (Alaler ghare dulal, 1857),[3] Pramatha Chowdhury (Sabujpatra, 1914) and in the later writings of Rabindranath Tagore. It is modeled on the dialect spoken in the districts bordering the lower reaches of the Hooghly River, particularly the Shantipur region in Nadia district, West Bengal. This form of Bengali is sometimes called the "Nadia standard".[4]
Bengali dialects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bigger part of Nadia came to Bangladesh.

Tell me one thing, do you consider Bangladesh as a continuation of East Bengal?

I don't think anyone denies his/her East Bengal heritage, rather we are very proud of it. There's a reason East Bengal, Mohun Bagan derby regularly draws 1lakh crowd here and is included among the 50 top derbies of the word by Fifa.

Anyone who does not consider Bangladesh as the continuation of East Bengal are stupid. Our history didn't start from 71, but centuries before that and we are proud of it.

Wrong example, arab and Bangladeshi culture is mutually exclusive while Bengali is a subset of Indian culture. India as in the civilization, not the modern nation state.
Flame bait, you are calling for that shakib guy now :fie:

Anyway, how come i don't consider India to be my nation? Simple, my ancestors were from the current Bangladesh, the then East Bengal.

Dude why are beating the bush again and agin.. Britanica said the same thing that i said earlier..
I am rephrasing from another source.

The bigger part of Nadia came to Bangladesh.

You are rather resilient, are you not? Since when Kolkata and neighboring small towns like Shantipur on Bhagirathi is part of Bangladesh or Kusthia? No part of Nadia went to Bangladesh, Nadia borders Kustia which went to bd. Even it's western bd, not the heartland of bd.

You are rather resilient, are you not? Since when Kolkata and neighboring small towns like Shantipur on Bhagirathi is part of Bangladesh or Kusthia? No part of Nadia went to Bangladesh, Nadia borders Kustia which went to bd. Even it's western bd, not the heartland of bd.

Kolkata is nowhere in the deal. It wasi always bigger Nadia to which Kustia and 2 more district of Bangladesh included and shared the same dialect. And there is nothing called heartland in bangladesh.

Anyone who does not consider Bangladesh as the continuation of East Bengal are stupid. Our history didn't start from 71, but centuries before that and we are proud of it.

Flame bait, you are calling for that shakib guy now :fie:

Anyway, how come i don't consider India to be my nation? Simple, my ancestors were from the current Bangladesh, the then East Bengal.

It is not flame bait if you understand that culturally Indian is different than being a citizen of Republic of India.

Don't think most people of bangladesh consider it to be a continuation of East Bengal, there are many who distinguish between Bangladeshi and Bengali itself. After all you guys did renamed yourself to East Pakistan from East Bengal. ;-)

Kolkata is nowhere in the deal. It wasi always bigger Nadia to which Kustia and 2 more district of Bangladesh included and shared the same dialect. And there is nothing called heartland in bangladesh.

Ok dude, you are right and Suniti Kumar Chaterjee was wrong, happy now?

It is not flame bait if you understand that culturally Indian is different than being a citizen of Republic of India.
I am saying that Shakib shaheb won't be happy with these claims :lol:
Don't think most people of bangladesh consider it to be a continuation of East Bengal, there are many who distinguish between Bangladeshi and Bengali itself. After all you guys did renamed yourself to East Pakistan from East Bengal. ;-)

Bengali = Bangladeshi but Bangladesh doesn't only have Bengalis there for thereis a fair difference between Bangladeshi and Bengali :azn:
Renaming ourselves will change our history? :coffee:

I am saying that Shakib shaheb won't be happy with these claims :lol:

Bengali = Bangladeshi but Bangladesh doesn't only have Bengalis there for thereis a fair difference between Bangladeshi and Bengali :azn:
Renaming ourselves will change our history? :coffee:
Renaming has lot of significance, take for example Istanbul and Constantinople. ;-)

Renaming has lot of significance, take for example Istanbul and Constantinople. ;-)

So you are saying that Turks don't consider Constantinople to be the past of Istanbul? i am not too sure about that. Anyway, we both know how the names changed. It was based on ideologies. Right now it is that Bangalis have one country only. A few decades ago, it was the East part of the country made for Muslims by ourselves, and a few more decades earlier, it was the land where Bangals lived. All of these are our rich history, and i don't see any reason why people would discard it, unless they are the current projonmo Muktijoddhas who consider the land to have come to existence only in 1971..

So you are saying that Turks don't consider Constantinople to be the past of Istanbul? i am not too sure about that. Anyway, we both know how the names changed. It was based on ideologies. Right now it is that Bangalis have one country only. A few decades ago, it was the East part of the country made for Muslims by ourselves, and a few more decades earlier, it was the land where Bangals lived. All of these are our rich history, and i don't see any reason why people would discard it, unless they are the current projonmo Muktijoddhas who consider the land to have come to existence only in 1971..

Nothing wrong for turks to consider Constantinope as their history, they have every right to do so. However should a person who's ancestors lived in Constantinope and migrated to Greece, consider Istanbul as part of his heritage?

You all should read book "Origin and Development of the Bengali Language" from Suniti Kumar Chatterji. He suggested "Chaltibhasa is based on the cultivated form of the dialects small towns on the Bhagirathi River and came into literary use since the early 20th century.".
Nabadwip was the cultural capital of undivided Bengal that time. Kustia being adjacent to Nadia was influenced with Nadia's dilect. Can say chalit bhasa originated from Nabadwip and its surroundings.
On topic West Bengal people have curiosity about Bangladesh, that's all nothing more.

Before partition what is Kushtia in Bangladesh was a part of Nadia Zilla. When it was divided into east and west, the then east Pakistan government named its part as Kushtia Zilla. Come to Kushtia and the way even its street beggars talk, you will feel ashamed of your 'Pechiye Bola' Ghoti (Shoumitra/Prosenjit) accent. Well, at least we feel ashamed of our Purba Bangiyo accent in front of Kushtia one. We try to emulate this accent, but only our girls students can emulate it better than the boys.

Before partition what is Kushtia in Bangladesh was a part of Nadia Zilla. When it was divided into east and west, the then east Pakistan government named its part as Kushtia Zilla. Come to Kushtia and the way even its street beggars talk, you will feel ashamed of your 'Pechiye Bola' Ghoti (Shoumitra/Prosenjit) accent. Well, at least we feel ashamed of our Purba Bangiyo accent. However we try to emulate this accent, only our girls students can emulate it better than the boys.

So according to you Soumitra has flawed accent while Uttam Kumar has perfect Kustia accent.

Do you even know Uttam Kumar was a pure North Calcuttan Ghoti who's born in Ahiritola and Soumitra was born Krishnanagar, the capital of Nadia district? :lol:

Oh the irony. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom