What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pure written form of Bengali Cholito Vasa is taken from the Kustia/Nodia region as the standard in 19th century.

When you will speak to a Kustia/Nodia region person, you will know how stupid you speak in Kolkata.

Note, how a person originally from a far away Noakhali, but living in WB, is trying to showcase himself as an expert of Bangla dialect. Now, I find he does not even know where Kushtia is located. Sharat Chandra Chatterjee has certainly adopted the Kushtia dialect for his novels, but these guys even do not know that. They think we are emulating WB dialect. Kushtia way of speaking is very beautiful, in which we try to speak and not WB's Ghoti accent. Ghoti accent is horrible.

The pure written form of Bengali Cholito Vasa is taken from the Kustia/Nodia region as the standard in 19th century.

When you will speak to a Kustia/Nodia region person, you will know how stupid you speak in Kolkata.

Chalit was developed in kolkata back in 19th century, which is fact no matter how much you try to spin it. Since back in 19th century kolkata was the only urban center of excellence so it is but normal that the standardisation of dialect happened here. Since Bangladesh has a big urban megapolice now so in future bd might have their own standardised dialect.

The original inhabitants of sutanuti, sobha bazaar had a different dialect than Chalit, like nuchi for luchi, nebu for lebu etc, read hutom pyanchar noksha by kaliprasanna singha to know about it.

Note, how a person originally from a far away Noakhali, but living in WB, is trying to showcase himself as an expert of Bangla dialect. Now, I find he does not even know where Kushtia is located. Sharat Chandra Chatterjee has certainly adopted the Kushtia dialect for his novels, but these guys even do not know that. They think we are emulating WB dialect. Kushtia way of speaking is very beautiful, in which we try to speak and not WB's Ghoti accent. Ghoti accent is horrible.

Look dude I was born and brought up in kolkata and have whatsoever no connection with Bangladesh. My heritage is that of East Bengal which is different entity than Bangladesh. You guys probably take offence if someone relates you to east bengal.

Anyway I'm not trying to belittle any regional accent, Bangals take great pride of their accent although I have pretty plain accent myself.

I'm no expert but I surely have better ear for accent than you who says Soumitra of all people has flawed accent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever been to Kustia region? My mothers side of the family is from Kustia, so i can assure you that there is a Kustia dialect and people from Bangladesh use it as standard. It was cool in a way i never needed to learn chalit vasha for school.

It only means people of Kushtia speak in a dialect which is similar to Chalit since Kushtia is situated at the central region of greater Bengal. But Bangladeshis follow Chalit as standard dialect which was developed in Kolkata in colonial era, not in Kushtia or Nadia.

Look dude I was born and brought up in kolkata and have whatsoever no connection with Bangladesh. My heritage is that of East Bengal which is different entity than Bangladesh. You guys probably take offence if someone relates you to east bengal.

Anyway I'm not trying to belittle any regional accent, Bangals take great pride of their accent although I have pretty plain accent myself.

I'm no expert but I surely have better ear for accent than you who says Soumitra of all people has flawed accent.

Have you ever heard Kustian dialect or chalit vasha that are used in Bangladesh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chalit was developed in kolkata back in 19th century, which is fact no matter how much you try to spin it. Since back in 19th century kolkata was the only urban center of excellence so it is but normal that the standardisation of dialect happened here. Since Bangladesh has a big urban megapolice now so in future bd might have their own standardised dialect.

The original inhabitants of sutanuti, sobha bazaar had a different dialect than Chalit, like nuchi for luchi, nebu for lebu etc, read hutom pyanchar noksha by kaliprasanna singha to know about it.

Cholito was not developed in anywhere but when Sadhu was phasing out then a standardization was necessary as people started using Cholito in different forms. Then the dialect of Kustia/Nodia region was selected as the standard and as written form of Cholito Vasa. Its part of history of Bengali language and nothing to do with me.

As you already mentioned that original Kolkata dialect was no way nearer to standard Cholito.

Now here is a quote

Concept of "Greater Kushtia
Historically, Kushtia was a larger district consisting of three subdivisions, each of which has now become a district. However, the peoples of these three districts, Chuadanga, Meherpur and Kushtia, share more than just a common past. Most notably, the dwellers of these districts, as the past inhabitants of an undivided Nadia district, speak a dialect remarkably close to what is now considered "standard" Bengali in both West Bengal and Bangladesh. Because of the great commonality between the three districts, they are often referred to as the Greater Kushtia District. Several organisations, such as the "Greater Kushtia Association" and "Greater Kushtia Society", are concerned with the welfare of the entire region.
Kushtia District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It only means people of Kushtia speak in a dialect which is similar to Chalit since Kushtia is situated at the central region of greater Bengal. But Bangladeshis follow Chalit as standard dialect which was developed in Kolkata in colonial era, not in Kushtia or Nadia.

I heard the dialect of both Kustia and Kolkata, please don't give opinion based on assumption. You can't compare two things if you don't know one of them.

Have you ever heard Kustian dialect or chalit vasha that are used in Bangladesh?

I'm sure it'll be similar to Chalit, but to say chalit developed in Kushtia, Nadia is fallacy. At best the accent of Kustia, Nadia had influence on Chalit because of it's cultural heritage, Sri Chaitanya, Lalon etc.

Can you prove it?is there any written documentation about when and by whom cholito bangla was officially took center stage as mass bangla in British India?I know its not Bonkim chandro or ish war chandro.who was it?any link to support your claim?

Stop living in denial. There is no shame in accepting a place in Bangladesh as your roots. I am from the same region and welcome you to visit us. The people are very hospitable, particularly in this part and you will love it ;)

I'm sure it'll be similar to Chalit, but to say chalit developed in Kushtia, Nadia is fallacy. At best the accent of Kustia, Nadia had influence on Chalit because of it's cultural heritage, Sri Chaitanya, Lalon etc.

So, you are sure huh? You have never heard accent of Kustia but still you are sure that at best the accent of Kustia, Nadia had influence on Chalit. It seems you have inherited some characteristics of a famous district of Bangladesh, even you deny any direct connection with Bangladesh :omghaha:. :tup: for getting out of closet and embracing your true heritage :lol:.

PS- No disrespect to residents of any district of Bangladesh. I don't have any prejudice against residents of any district.

You all should read book "Origin and Development of the Bengali Language" from Suniti Kumar Chatterji. He suggested "Chaltibhasa is based on the cultivated form of the dialects small towns on the Bhagirathi River and came into literary use since the early 20th century.".
Nabadwip was the cultural capital of undivided Bengal that time. Kustia being adjacent to Nadia was influenced with Nadia's dilect. Can say chalit bhasa originated from Nabadwip and its surroundings.
On topic West Bengal people have curiosity about Bangladesh, that's all nothing more.

Cholito was not developed in anywhere but when Sadhu was phasing out then a standardization was necessary as people started using Cholito in different forms. Then the dialect of Kustia/Nodia region was selected as the standard and as written form of Cholito Vasa. Its part of history of Bengali language and nothing to do with me.

As you already mentioned that original Kolkata dialect was no way nearer to standard Cholito.

Now here is a quote

Really, Wikipedia? Even then it says that the language of kusthia is similar to Chalit which I have been saying all along.

Here's from Britannica, hope it will put this debate to an end.

Chaltibhasa is based on the cultivated form of the dialects of Kolkata (Calcutta) and its neighbouring small towns on the Bhagirathi River. It has come into literary use since the early 20th century, and by the early 21st century it had become the dominant literary language as well as the standard colloquial form of speech among the educated. The pronouns and verb forms of the Sadhubhasa are contracted in Chaltibhasa. There is also a marked difference in vocabulary]

Bengali language -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom