What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindus use whatever they have been using since centuries, Muslims try to differentiate themselves.

Language is not static, it evolves and in process absorbs foreign words. Notghing wrong with it however it should be organic.

I was reading a Bangladeshi news paper to check Shahbag movement and came across a cricket news. They just literally translated White Wash as Dhabol Dholai in Bengali! :lol: I was like what the heck, this is rape of Bengali language!

dhobol Dholai actually is a fan invented word, we used it first during Bangladesh Vs NZ series where NZ lost 5-0....... Later P.alo adopted it from Social media... Its not static , you already mentioned that.....

Hmmm. A very good question. Perhaps it was a way for Muslims to hold aloof from their recent origins. It is a theory that the overwhelming proportion of converts in eastern Bengal were former Buddhists forcibly suppressed, most prominently under the bigoted Sena dynasty, and they remained an angry mass of disaffected people under a thin layer of the upper castes. The situation was different on the western side.

Why this particular assortment of words? I don't have a clue.

You really need to learn more and write less.

Shouldn't the Budhhists be concentrated around West Bengal since all major Budhhists bihars and universities were around Bengal-Bihar border? Also present day Bangladeshi Buddhists are mainly Theravada Tibetan/Mayanmar offshoot, they don't follow Mahayana Budhhism which was state religion of Palas.

In all probability rural Bengal followed folk Hinduism or didn't follow any organized religion as such.

dhobol Dholai actually is a fan invented word, we used it first during Bangladesh Vs NZ series where NZ lost 5-0....... Later P.alo adopted it from Social media... Its not static , you already mentioned that.....

Hmm social media invented is more like it. Personally I think word by word literal translation of English words should be avoided. Another example is Singha Bhag - Lion's Share!

@integra : why do you write something and then delete it! :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. A very good question. Perhaps it was a way for Muslims to hold aloof from their recent origins. It is a theory that the overwhelming proportion of converts in eastern Bengal were former Buddhists forcibly suppressed, most prominently under the bigoted Sena dynasty, and they remained an angry mass of disaffected people under a thin layer of the upper castes. The situation was different on the western side.

Why this particular assortment of words? I don't have a clue.

You really need to learn more and write less.

can you specify what i need to learn?

On the coast of Maharashtra, there are a large no of Konkani Muslims with typical marathi last names you will not find ANYWHERE else on earth. These people spoke Konkani / Marathi all throughout. Only the last one or two generations have started speaking Urdu as somehow Urdu is being perceived as a ''Muslim'' language because they have a lot of Gulf exposure now.

Probably two generations down the line I'll hear from them how they are not marathi at all but some exotic race of buddhists or timurids or some such. The urge for cultural separation and weird mental complexes is rather difficult to understand.

Hindus use whatever they have been using since centuries, Muslims try to differentiate themselves.

Language is not static, it evolves and in process absorbs foreign words. Notghing wrong with it however it should be organic.

I was reading a Bangladeshi news paper to check Shahbag movement and came across a cricket news. They just literally translated White Wash as Dhabol Dholai in Bengali! :lol: I was like what the heck, this is rape of Bengali language!

You're so obsessed with Bangladesh that other than Bangladesh section on PDF where you have contribituion in all threads you also visit our newspapers, yet you haven't nodded the proposal that kobiraaz placed and we dragged this long. Why don't you say yes, there's nothing to be shy? If shy, should I or kobiraaz give you our email adresses :cool: ?

Dhabol Dholai is a new term, we started it..later Bangali people around the world will use it. At the beginning old styled operators can't accept the new wave ;).

Shouldn't the Budhhists be concentrated around West Bengal since all major Budhhists bihars and universities were around Bengal-Bihar border? Also present day Bangladeshi Buddhists are mainly Theravada Tibetan/Mayanmar offshoot, they don't follow Mahayana Budhhism which was state religion of Palas.

In all probability rural Bengal followed folk Hinduism or didn't follow any organized religion as such.

Hmm social media invented is more like it. Personally I think word by word literal translation of English words should be avoided. Another example is Singha Bhag - Lion's Share!

How's Mutho Phone, nice...no?

You're so obsessed with Bangladesh that other than Bangladesh section on PDF where you have contribituion in all threads you also visit our newspapers, yet you haven't nodded the proposal that kobiraaz placed and we dragged this long. Why don't you say yes, there's nothing to be shy? If shy, should I or kobiraaz give you our email adresses :cool: ?

LOL I'm not obsessed, I read. I had been reading Al Jazeera in a regular basis when Arab Spring was going on and various US news papers during US election, that doesn't make me obsessed of middle east or US. It's called being aware of world geo-politics.

Dhabol Dholai is a new term, we started it..later Bangali people around the world will use it. At the beginning old styled operators can't accept the new wave ;).

You started it and you keep it. We don't want perversion of our language with HashJaru words. :tup:

How's Mutho Phone, nice...no?

Sounds corny, but still better tha Dhabol Dholai! Really who came up with that word! :lol:

"Raining cats and dogs" take ***** billi brishti bole chalaben na jeno:D

Actually I heard a story of colonial era where a Bengali clerk translated Raining cats and dogs as Kukur Beral Bristi porche! :lol:

I thought someone will post or talk or threaten about Hilsa/Illish . Dayum , I am dissapointed .

To whom it may concern-lots of opinion over a simple question.yes one can be Bangladeshi and a Muslim and be a bangali ,support a certain political group and live apeacefull life.to all our so called friendly neighbors please before opening your big mouths-know thy history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom