What's new

How India debated a war with Pakistan that November

RAW’s response to the NSA stunned all except, perhaps, Narayanan himself who is among the doyens of Indian intelligence. India’s premier external intelligence agency admitted that it had no assets in Pakistan to carry out such an action. It was explained that India lost all the meagre local support it had in pockets of Pakistan after the Babri Masjid attack and what little was left, was shut down by a prime ministerial diktat during I K Gujral’s tenure.

Well this is quite known for a while now. So all the bombings TTP attacks, LeJ and others are indigenous. If RAW didnt' have anything to retaliate with two years ago, don't expect it to have assets that can breach GHQ security and launch attacks in the heart of Islamabad and Lahore.

Not sure but how will situation change in case there is another Mumbai??? Uncertainty about pakistan response will still remain as it is, no???? Am i missing something or our so called strategist really dumb????

India should learn from what the israelis did after the munich massacre air power need not be used againist individuals responsible for 26/11

That is exactly what India should do.I saw a documentary on mossad and i was pretty impressed by the way they eliminated each and every one of the planners.Carrying out surgical strikes will be an expensive affair and will be detrimental to the nations economy.Moreover the effects will be temporary .If we manage to kill a 1000 terrorists by bombing camps across the border ,another 1000 will be ready in a couple of weeks.The best solution is to form team of highly trained agents who can infiltrate Pakistan or any other country and can eliminate the terror chiefs .

While the pressure was intense for India to strike & the Armed Forces were so inclined as well perhaps in hind sight it was just as well India did no do so.

This has nothing to do with Paks options to retaliate but simply on the fact that it would have polarized fissiparous elements in Pak - something which would go against India. It suits India to keep Pak on ' simmer' than to increase the heat. Pak is doing a fine job of being at war with itself.

Yet if the strike had taken place the Congress stood a chance of victory in the next elections.

I think India did do something at a covert level.. the sudden rise in the spate of terrorist attacks in Pakistan since 26/11 and no serious attacks in India points to some drastic steps.

Common man still suffering on both sides unfortunately

I think India did do something at a covert level.. the sudden rise in the spate of terrorist attacks in Pakistan since 26/11 and no serious attacks in India points to some drastic steps.

Common man still suffering on both sides unfortunately

i disagree what we r wintessing in pakistan is internal terrorism due to TTP. india has not armed TTP. i agree with u r last sentence.

I somehow doubt India's "Deniable" option wasn't panned out. Till date the attack on the SL team is pinned primarily on an Indian sponsored attack. An attack where they wanted to create terror without killing anyone for real in the SL team.

Ohh ya

We all know who attack on SL team .
Lots of Sri-lankan news source quote that

Pakistani members are really confused here, on the one hand they say RAW is a monster with deep rooted connections in Pakistan where it can blow up anything at will. The zionist nexus of RAW-MOSSAD- CIA is brought up many a time.

Again they say that at the end India is all talk no action.

I would never have said this but really our leadership did fail us when they were unable to respond to the 26/11 massacre. We have got an intelligence agency which has no intelligence and that is because of two morons Gujral (who to appease our enemy disbanded all the assets) and Morarji Desai (who was the prime reason for our agency loosing its teeth)

Quite mature of India to strike a sovereign nation based on the actions of a few rogue individuals.

Your point would be valid if such an attack was just the act of a few rogue individuals. Unfortunately, no one believes that is the case. There is a perception of state patronage & in the worst case, a element of state involvement whether overtly sanctioned or not.

If India has planned a response for the past 2 years, do you honestly think Pakistan hasn't planned anything. If India does strike at Pakistan, its a forgone conclusion that Pakistan will strike back in force and this has been made very clear by our COAS and ACM. Let me tell you something you wont find online, our current ACM was the chief architect in designing Pakistan's response if in case IAF launches surgical strikes. Although any IAF strike package is likely going to be intercepted by PAF considering how extensive our radar coverage is, but if IAF does manages to sneak through and strike their targets, i can assure you within minutes PAF will launch its own stand off weapons at Indian positions.

I'm sure that Pakistan has its own plans. I'm also sure that the resources available with Indian planners aimed at this particular threat would have been higher. Pakistan has these days, its hands full with a number of situations. Make what you will about the defensive & offensive abilities of the two forces, such a situation is not an outcome to be welcomed or desired. Eventually Pakistan will have to deal with those groups that may create such situations.

Pakistani members are really confused here, on the one hand they say RAW is a monster with deep rooted connections in Pakistan where it can blow up anything at will. The zionist nexus of RAW-MOSSAD- CIA is brought up many a time.

Again they say that at the end India is all talk no action.

I would never have said this but really our leadership did fail us when they were unable to respond to the 26/11 massacre. We have got an intelligence agency which has no intelligence and that is because of two morons Gujral (who to appease our enemy disbanded all the assets) and Morarji Desai (who was the prime reason for our agency loosing its teeth)

very good assessment buddy. here i would like to add one thing. majority of our intelligence agencies are full of police personnel. wen these agencies were created, generally police personnel were inducted because it was assumed that it will be easier for them to train in intelligence aspects. the same philosophy is continuing.

police personal do not naturally make good int operatives. secutiy/policing is a totally different field and any good police officer will not necessarily make good int operative.

we should have a look at our recruitment process. i think there is a need to bring more dedicated civilians in this field.

i think there is also need to further integrate our armed forces with intelligence agencies.

very good assessment buddy. here i would like to add one thing. majority of our intelligence agencies are full of police personnel. wen these agencies were created, generally police personnel were inducted because it was assumed that it will be easier for them to train in intelligence aspects. the same philosophy is continuing.

police personal do not naturally make good int operatives. secutiy/policing is a totally different field and any good police officer will not necessarily make good int operative.

we should have a look at our recruitment process. i think there is a need to bring more dedicated civilians in this field.

i think there is also need to further integrate our armed forces with intelligence agencies.

My point exactly u see if u take the best intelligence agencies like CIA MOSSAD or KGB they do not pick up operatives from police forces. Generally they recruit from civilian set up or from Army and the agency is completely off the limits to civilian law enforcement agencies.

You cannot mix both of these. Hell they even recruit guys from premier institutes etc for raw data analysis etc. Having technology is one thing but u should also have the personnel required to see through it and i mean qualified personnel. You don't give an ad out in The Hindu or TOI saying that "Agents required for RAW" please pay a DD of Rs.500/ at ur nearest SBI branch and apply with necessary certificates.

As i told our intelligence agency RAW is not even a shadow of its past since they are not having any kind of presence in neighbouring countries. In this front i think a Indira Gandhi is required again to bring back the glory of RAW.

^^^^^ i think the process to give more teeth to raw has begun. it will take time to materialise. the errors of moraji desai and I K gujral cannot be corrected in few months. it will take some time.

26/11 was a surprise attack an caused enormous anger in india,but GOI did'nt acted cause it was first time that attack of that scale happen on financial capital..and everyone was surprised on how to deal or react on this..!!

But if a similar attack of that scale happen again "Remember my words" IF HAPPEN AGAIN..!! Then "India will not be left with any other option rather than strike" just understand the simple fact>>And its a whole diff story that how strongly pakistan will react..we all know you do, but one thing is for sure "Another 26/11 like attack, then no one can stop a war btw india and pakistan,(whatever the result of that war will be is diff story)

Cause even after 26/11 ppl were condemning the goverment that why spending billions of dollars on defence if they were not allowed to defend the nation from a war imposed on us..!!!

NOTE :-

Pakistani members here are saying about how they will react and all that why they are not understanding that its "TERRORIST ATTACK" which will lead to war in future, so, why not just don;t allow your country for terrorism activites against india, just stop them from your own soil and no one will move even a fingure..!!

First, I begin with full condemnation of Kasab and his associates. they killed innocent civilians in a cowardly manners I strongly condem that affair.
Regarding Indian response to such terror act in future, i think India has two options in all,
1. start a war with Pakistan limited or unlimited
2. continue diplomatic/ecenomic bullying of Pakistan.

1 First option is choice of many even outside india. All those who want to hold Indian rise in the region will be keen to force india into a war. If india does not end up the war like 1971, India will be looser in the end. If India succeed in 1971 like state, it wills till loose economic targets that She has set for herself and hence She will be never able to catch other rising economies. and if Pakistan succeed in playing Muslim card it will severly hit indian bussiness in Middle east for atleast a decade or so.

If indian use Option no 2, India has ability to inflict big damage to Pakistan but it will be imperceptable to common Indians hence it will be hard to raise Morale of Indian ppl. Its economy will continue to rise, international stature will grow bigger but people of both side of border will never be able to measure their success or failure in a tangible way. This scenario may lead to present mindset to persist for longer time.

In my humble opinion the best option for india is to use composite solution, better intelligence to pre empt such act, enhance security for public and a sincere effort to settle issues with Pakistan in such a way that Pakistan should not feel bullied.

feel free to to disagree but you are not allowed to troll.
Best wishes!

^^^^^ i think the process to give more teeth to raw has begun. it will take time to materialise. the errors of moraji desai and I K gujral cannot be corrected in few months. it will take some time.

Is it ur thinking or you are informing us about some fact that you know of certain?

Back
Top Bottom