What's new

How China’s leading the world in nuclear fusion research

How China hopes to solve nuclear waste issue with hybrid fusion-fission reactor at top secret facility

China's proposed hybrid nuclear fusion-fission reactor could potentially burn nuclear waste. Photo: AFP

China will build a new hybrid reactor that can burn nuclear waste via a combined fusion-fission method by 2030, according to the Science and Technology Daily, a newspaper run by the official Ministry of Science and Technology.

Traditional nuclear power plants produce large amounts of waste, the primary component in which is uranium-238, which cannot be used by current fissile-based reactors. The proposed hybrid reactor will use nuclear fusion to burn u-238 and could in theory recycle the waste from traditional reactors into new fuel.

The project is being developed at the Chinese Academy of Engineering Physics in Sichuan, a top secret military research facility where China's nuclear weapons are developed.

The conceptual design of the reactor was recently completed at the facility.

A viable fusion reactor is nowhere in sight, not to mention a hybrid. It's like talking about hybrid cars before the internal combustion engine was invented.

TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY SCIENTIST
Fission, which occurs in all commercial reactors nowadays, splits an atom in half, while fusion merges two atoms in one.

Both processes can release enormous amounts of energy, following Einstein’s famous mass to energy equivalence, or E=MC2. But neither method is perfect. Fission can generate large amounts of radioactive waste, while fusion requires a tremendous amount of energy to get going and control.

China is not the only nation engaging in fusion-fission hybrids. The idea to combine nuclear fusion and fission in one reactor had been around for at least half a century. Relevant research has been carried out in Russia, European countries, the United States and Japan.

But China is currently the only country with a clear schedule to build a hybrid reactor.

The plan is part of Beijing's ambitious campaign to replace dirty fuels such as coal with cleaner energy sources. Currently 24 reactors are under construction in mainland China, adding to 26 already in operation and many more in the planning stage.

Due to the lacking of recycling plants, most of the waste they produce is stored on site inside the plants, which increases operational and environmental risks.

The hybrid reactor could also relieve China’s uranium shortages. Due to their low quality reserves, uranium mines in China can only meet the demand for China’s nuclear industry for a century, but if the hybrid was built, China would have no need to import uranium for several thousand years, according to the report.

At the core of the proposed hybrid plant is a fusion reactor which is powered by electric currents as strong as 60 trillion amps. The reactor will be blanketed by a fission shell stuffed with uranium-238.

Such a design has numerous advantages. The high-speed neutrons generated by fusion could split apart the u-238 atoms to generate fission, and the fission could generate lots of energy to help maintain the fusion, thus significantly reducing the amount of external energy input, and achieve the complete burning of nuclear fuel to avoid radioactive waste.

Professor Wang Hongwen, deputy director of the hybrid reactor project, said that the key components will be built and tested around 2020, with an experimental reactor due to be finished by 2030.

The team said the proposed hybrid reactor could generate three times the power of a current fission reactor, while being safer as both fusion and fission reactions could be stopped immediately by cutting off external power, so disasters are less likely.

Some scientists warned that the timeline may be too ambitious however.

“A viable fusion reactor is nowhere in sight, not to mention a hybrid,” said a physicist with Tsinghua University, who declined to be named due to the sensitivity of the issue.

“It’s like talking about hybrid cars before the internal combustion engine was even invented. We will be lucky to have the first fusion reactor in 50 years. I don’t think a hybrid can be built way before that.”

Others are more optimistic about the technology. Professor Evgeny Velikhov, the "godfather" of modern fusion reactor design, has long been an advocate of the hybrid approach.

A hybrid reactor could be easier to build partly because it requires only a fifth of the external energy input of a “pure fusion” reactor to maintain operation, he said in 2012 during a visit to the International Thermonuclear Experiment Reactor project in France.

More stronger China grows, the jealousy and hatred will increase.

But once they get used to China being here to stay, they will start to accept China for the great power that it is. Change takes getting used to.

China should concentrate on increasing its power, because money and power are the only thing that will matter in the end.

Being weak and liked is for losers.

Powerful countries don't care about the opinion of weak countries. Just look at the US. US only respects power.

I always say, wolves don't care about the opinion of sheep.

The opinion of haters will not increase or decrease Chinese power. Chinese power will increase whether anyone likes it or not.

I am always super excited to see that the Chinese section is surrounded by greater number of trolls from USA/Japan/UK/India/Vietnam/Turkey/Korea.

PDF was always fun when it was crowded, and it is a great place to train people to become mentally strong.

Many newbie Chinese posters will often get infuriated by the trolls' comments, while we don't, and we the veteran posters actually enjoy it.

Last edited:
I am always super excited to see that the Chinese section is surrounded by greater number of trolls from USA/Japan/UK/India/Vietnam/Turkey/Korea.

PDF was always fun when it was crowded, and it is great place for training people to become mentally strong.

Many newbie Chinese posters will often get infuriated by the trolls' comments, while we don't, and we the veteran posters actually enjoy it.

Everyone comes to the Chinese section because this is where all the important and relevant threads are located. Chinese section is where the latest developments regarding China is posted. China being so important to the world, people are interested in the developments regarding China. Chinese section is more important than World Affairs section.

Lets face it, no one cares about India, Turkey, etc when it doesn't involve China. Only time these countries become relevant to the world media is when they are involved with something related to China.

All types of people want to know whats happening in China so they come to the Chinese section to read the news.

I hardly go outside the Chinese section as all other sections have garbage I'm not interested in such as religion. I find other sections way too boring and those countries are not very relevant in the world (except the US). Even US news are posted in the Chinese section :lol:

China is all about development and a lot of interesting threads are created regarding Chinese development. @TaiShang @cirr @cnleio @AndrewJin and others have been doing an outstanding job in keeping everyone informed.

Last edited:
Everyone comes to the Chinese section because this is where all the important and relevant threads are located. Chinese section is where the latest developments regarding China is posted. China being so important to the world, people are interested in the developments regarding China. Chinese section is more important than World Affairs section.

Lets face it, no one cares about India, Turkey, etc when it doesn't involve China. Only time these countries become relevant to the world media is when they are involved with something related to China.

All types of people want to know whats happening in China so they come to the Chinese section to read the news.

I hardly go outside the Chinese section as all other sections have garbage I'm not interested in such as religion. I find other sections way too boring and those countries are not very relevant in the world (except the US). Even US news are posted in the Chinese section :lol:

China is all about development and a lot of interesting threads are created regarding Chinese development. @TaiShang @cirr @cnleio @AndrewJin and others have been outstanding in keeping everyone informed.

Exactly. That was bound to happen. When you become a systemic challenger/alternative, people will notice you and you will become the target of loads of hatred, as well as admiration.

This is something we got to used to. Now I understand US people better. We should take their compliments lightly and shrug off derision and hatred. After all, the hatred or whatever belief has zero influence on our real life.

China is all about development and a lot of interesting threads are created regarding Chinese development. @TaiShang @cirr @cnleio @AndrewJin and others have been doing an outstanding job in keeping everyone informed.

That's why I am so clinging to the Chinese section on PDF.

BTW, I predict that this section will become even bigger in the following years, since China will very likely do something that will blow people's mind again.

That's why it is not hard to understand that China will get as many of fans as the haters. Also, to observe the Chinese section on PDF is much more fun and exciting than watching the World Cup matches.

The sons of a b1tch are so feared of a laggard known as China。:rofl:

23 July 2015

China spends big on nuclear fusion as French project falls behind

dn27944-1_800.jpg

China’s will be bigger and better (Image: David Parker/SPL)

The world’s largest nuclear fusion machine, currently being built in France, is unlikely to produce more energy than it consumes until the early 2030s, warned the UK’s head of fusion research this week. That is five years later than planned – by which time China could be ahead of everyone.

Nuclear fusion involves heating a plasma of hydrogen isotopes so that they fuse into helium, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. Many physicists see it as the holy grail for producing cheap zero-carbon energy. But initiating the fusion reactions requires temperatures 10 times as hot as the core of the sun. And decades of experiments have yet to produce self-sustaining fusion reactions – known as “burning plasma” – that generate the energy required to produce such temperatures.

The International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER), a $20 billion machine being built in Cadarache, France, should get there. “We are confident that it will,” Steven Cowley, director of the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy in Oxfordshire, told the science and technology committee of the UK’s House of Lords on Tuesday. But it is taking time and money.

Burning plasma

Constructing ITER has already cost three times as much as budgeted, and completion has slipped from 2016 to 2019, with the first plasma experiments the following year. Cowley told the committee: “ITER says 2020, but I believe the first plasma will be [generated] in 2025.” Burning plasma is unlikely before “the early 2030s”, he said. He likened the moment when burning plasma is achieved to the moment in the early 1940s when the first “critical” nuclear fission reactions were produced.

Only then will the international researchers, many of whom have been working together for decades, move on to building a new plant that could generate continuous power – the forerunner for what they hope will be commercial nuclear fusion by late in the century. “But the biggest investment now is in China,” says Cowley. China is a collaborator on ITER, along with the European Union, the US and others. But it is investing heavily in building its own reactor, the China Fusion Engineering Test Reactor, which will be bigger than ITER and may be finished by 2030, he said.

Cowley disclosed that some partners had discussed whether to continue collaboration with China or shut them out. “We decided to continue to collaborate.” Shutting China out “would only slow them down by a few months”, he told the Lords, who are investigating whether the UK government is getting value for money in its fusion investments. Fusion currently accounts for 14 per cent of UK government spending on energy research, Sharon Ellis of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills told the committee.

China spends big on nuclear fusion as French project falls behind - New Scientist

and not just "bigger and better", it's in pink, which is awesome !

China has started construction of the world's first commercial sodium-cooled fast reactor(SFR)。

The nuclear power plant,located in Sanming,Fujian Province,will be built in phases,with phase 1 consisting of 2 800MW SFRs。

Frenchies pretend they are still a major country in the world :lol:

If only they had an independent foreign policy, people might actually take those Frenchies seriously.
The US is stronger in nuclear area than France, UK and Japan combined. I am not sure why the Frenchies are deemed to be the leader in this project.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom