What's new

How Bangladesh can reverse brain drain

Is it true that Bangladeshi corporate culture gives preference to Indian professionals over their local Bengalis ? Because, an interesting report in a leading BD newspaper says :
"Our education system is not producing skilled manpower. Bangladeshi professional physicians and engineers have almost no demand abroad," said Malik.

Indians remit $4b from Bangladesh: RMMRU

Mostly MNCs- they used to prefer Indian expats for management. Reasons being cheaper than an American or European expat, understands the culture and not enough Bangladeshis able to be in those leading roles, But we are seeing the latter change slowly now. MNCs had initiated fostering local prospects and they are now rising through the ranks and taking charge of the roles which Indian expats would fulfil earlier. Lower cost for MNCs and money staying in BD- Win-Win for both.

There are some local conglomerates, who do hire Indian expats, that is simply because of expertise at a lower rate than an American. Once local prospects are trained and experienced, they too eventually replace the expats with someone local.

Is it true that Bangladeshi corporate culture gives preference to Indian professionals over their local Bengalis ? Because, an interesting report in a leading BD newspaper says :
"Our education system is not producing skilled manpower. Bangladeshi professional physicians and engineers have almost no demand abroad," said Malik.

Indians remit $4b from Bangladesh: RMMRU
Prejudice basically. Middle is flooding with Bangladeshi doctors and engineers nowadays. My dad is a banker in Middle East... why is that? He couldn’t hope to earn what he earns abroad, not if he wants to stay clean.
anyone with whiter skin would get double than what a brown man *(bengali) would get In Bangladesh.
Unless you have nepotism working in your favor. Then you have lots of opportunities
A certain amount of "brain drain" is actually a good thing as this allows BD expats to gain knowledge and experience that they cannot get in BD.

Once they have accumulated that 10-15 years of overseas experience they can apply those skills back in BD.
Only if an entrepreneur can create demand for the field of expertise you have... given Bangladesh’s ease of doing business... RIP to that

India's eastern provinces are part of India, which is 5th largest economy in the world. It's good Bangladesh is developing. Trade is good for everyone. But please don't overestimate.
Lmao all your eastern states receive goods through Bangladesh and dependent on Bangladesh for electricity even though you’ve land connections to trade through your own territory
5th largest economy means jack shit when one goes to see the eastern states. Basically small cities within forests, no industries or any facilities people from New Delhi, Mumbai might enjoy

Firstly, is there a brain drain from Bangladesh? Bangladeshis around the world are not known for brainy work.

Um, is that why Indians are openly adopting Bangladeshi ideas like micro finance? You might be borrowing some rupees yourself thanks to a Bangladeshi idea.

Another fact, skyscrapers all over the world as we know them today world not exist except for a Bangladeshi engineers' 'brainy work'.

On topic, talent will always go where it is recognized and rewarded accordingly. Until Bangladesh can match 1st world countries in that respect, it's hard to expect brain drain to reduce.

Are you sure Indians are soo inept at civil engineering planning and design? What is the base of your thinking so?
I have worked with them on three projects. The Kanchpur, Meghna, and Gumti 2nd bridge project Indian engineers were appointed to do the steel girder design. They failed terribly, later the existing Japanese engineers from OC had to take over such responsibility. In the EBBIP project, Indian engineers messed up the soil-testing reports. As a consequence, 7 bridges (out of 22 if my memory is not failing me) had to redesign after halfway built. later on, Australian engineers from SMEC had to take full control of that project. In the Dhaka Ashulia Elevated expressway project, one structural engineer submitted the roadway alignment design on excel (could you believe that). He did not know how to use CAD or Civil3D. I have to do all of them within a month. This was how we saved that project.
In addition, please look at those railway projects and other projects those which are supervised by Indian engineers in Bangladesh. You will get more information.
Please do not get me wrong, I am not generalizing all Indian Engineers, there are good/best Indian engineers too. I am pointing out Indian civil engineers here in Bangladesh. They are good for nothing and even got rejected in their own country.

Firstly, is there a brain drain from Bangladesh? Bangladeshis around the world are not known for brainy work.
I feel sorry for you for not knowing the actual scenario here in the USA. In some school, professor prefers Bangladeshi graduate students (GRA) (especially from BUET) more than any. I can give an example of my department. There are three Bangladeshi students doing their Ph.D. here in the civil engineering department. Guess what, how many Indians, None! In electrical department only one Indian GRA as compared to five Bangladeshi GRA. Even my professor rejected five IIT students to hire me. Get some knowledge man.

I do not know about other sectors. However, in the civil engineering sectors, consultancy firms are leaning towards hiring Indian engineers (please read "crap") for two major reasons. 1st, Indian experts are cheap as compared to those from Australia or Japan. 2nd, foreign experts' salary scales are 5-10 times higher than that of local experts. So, consultancy firms can earn more money by hiring shitty Indian engineers.

I can ensure you one thing. A fresh BUET (even KUET, RUET, CUET) graduate is 10 times more efficient than a senior Indian engineer with 25 years shitty experience.

It's a two-way street.

The local firms don't want to recruit local talent and train them, only to see them go and settle abroad in a year or two. The companies are also not willing to provide the desired facilities and incentives to the employees so the graduates are also not hopeful of pursuing a career at home.

I think everything boils down to how the overall condition of the country is, be it politics, law and order, environment etc.

I feel sorry for you for not knowing the actual scenario here in the USA. In some school, professor prefers Bangladeshi graduate students (GRA) (especially from BUET) more than any. I can give an example of my department. There are three Bangladeshi students doing their Ph.D. here in the civil engineering department. Guess what, how many Indians, None! In electrical department only one Indian GRA as compared to five Bangladeshi GRA. Even my professor rejected five IIT students to hire me. Get some knowledge man.
Buddy, I have studied in 2 premier institutes in USA. I know reality. Don't worry. Just look at statistics about students studying abroad from both countries. Now I allow you to live in your fantasy. Lol.

Buddy, I have studied in 2 premier institutes in USA. I know reality. Don't worry. Just look at statistics about students studying abroad from both countries. Now I allow you to live in your fantasy. Lol.
You guys have a larger population. So, unnormalized statistics can show so much BS. It does not matter I am living in my fantasy or not, fact always stays fact. If you really studied in "2 premier institutes" in the USA then you would have known about the potential of Bangladeshi students. Rather your first comment has shown how weak your observation is. Good day!

You guys have a larger population. So, unnormalized statistics can show so much BS. It does not matter I am living in my fantasy or not, fact always stays fact. If you really studied in "2 premier institutes" in the USA then you would have known about the potential of Bangladeshi students. Rather your first comment has shown how weak your observation is. Good day!
I did my masters in computer science in US. I had one Bangladeshi in my class and he would get angry if I have not shared my assignments with him. He feels like I am obligated to share my notes. I clearly observed the Bangladeshi whining and entitlement potential.

By the way, who does PhD in Civil engineering? That is not one of the STEM course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom