What's new

How Bangladesh can reverse brain drain

Read it right. It is 22:1 (not 2:1). You seriously think Bangladeshis can match us. Lol. You must have fallen for their propaganda.

Your students are desperate to leave India, by hook or crook and any way possible (even by visiting Visa temples if necessary).

They even go to Bangladesh to study for MBBS, things are so bad in India.

Indian medical students who studied in Bangladesh doing better back home
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 27 Oct 2019 09:41 PM BdST Updated: 27 Oct 2019 09:41 PM BdST

• Steth_pic.jpg
Indian medical students who have studied in Bangladesh are doing better back home than many of their peers who studied in some other countries.
But less than 15 percent of the all students tapping medical colleges overseas clear the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE), the mandatory test to obtain a licence to practice in India.

Of those successful, according to the National Board of Examinations that conducts the FMGE, chances are most of them are either from Bangladesh or Mauritius — not among the most favoured destinations.

The board tracked the 61,708 Indian students who graduated from foreign medical institutions between 2015 and 2018, the Indian Express says.

Only 14.2 percent (8,764) cleared the test and the pass rates were dismal for students from colleges in China, Russia and Ukraine.
Of the total number of students that appeared for the test, 87.6 percent (54,055) were from colleges in seven countries: China, Russia, Bangladesh, Ukraine, Nepal, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan.

The data shows that 52 percent (81 of 154) students from Mauritius cleared the test, 27.11 percent (343 of 1,265) from Bangladesh passed the barrier and 17.68 percent from Nepal (1,042 of 5,894) succeeded.

The success rate for students from colleges in China was 11.67 percent (2,370 of 20,314), Russia 12.89 per cent and Ukraine 15 percent (see chart).

The students who pursued courses in Bangladesh and cleared FMGE include 83.33 percent (10 of 12) from University of Rajshahi, 64.29 percent (9 of 14) from Sir Saimullah Medical College and 56.14 percent (32 of 57) from Dhaka University.
They also include 42.11 percent (8 of 19) from Rajshahi Medical College, 37.50 percent (33 of 88) from Jahurol Islam Medical College, 34.69 percent (34 of 98) from Medical College for Women and Hospital, Dhaka, 33.33 percent (18 of 54) from Dhaka National Medical College and 30.49 percent (25 of 82) from Kumudini Women’s Medical College and Hospital.

Prof AKM Ahsan Habib, director, medical education of the Directorate General of Health Services, is happy to hear the news.

He told bdnews24.com that foreign students study in Bangladesh in two ways – under SAARC and non-SAARC quota in government medical and dental colleges.

And private medical and dental colleges can enrol foreign students up to 50 percent of their total seats, he said, adding that currently 99 Indian students are studying in 36 government medical colleges.

The number at private medical colleges could not be known immediately.

Your students are desperate to leave India, by hook or crook and any way possible (even by visiting Visa temples if necessary).

They even go to Bangladesh to study for MBBS, things are so bad in India.

Indian medical students who studied in Bangladesh doing better back home
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 27 Oct 2019 09:41 PM BdST Updated: 27 Oct 2019 09:41 PM BdST

• Steth_pic.jpg
Indian medical students who have studied in Bangladesh are doing better back home than many of their peers who studied in some other countries.
But less than 15 percent of the all students tapping medical colleges overseas clear the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE), the mandatory test to obtain a licence to practice in India.

Of those successful, according to the National Board of Examinations that conducts the FMGE, chances are most of them are either from Bangladesh or Mauritius — not among the most favoured destinations.

The board tracked the 61,708 Indian students who graduated from foreign medical institutions between 2015 and 2018, the Indian Express says.

Only 14.2 percent (8,764) cleared the test and the pass rates were dismal for students from colleges in China, Russia and Ukraine.
Of the total number of students that appeared for the test, 87.6 percent (54,055) were from colleges in seven countries: China, Russia, Bangladesh, Ukraine, Nepal, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan.

The data shows that 52 percent (81 of 154) students from Mauritius cleared the test, 27.11 percent (343 of 1,265) from Bangladesh passed the barrier and 17.68 percent from Nepal (1,042 of 5,894) succeeded.

The success rate for students from colleges in China was 11.67 percent (2,370 of 20,314), Russia 12.89 per cent and Ukraine 15 percent (see chart).

The students who pursued courses in Bangladesh and cleared FMGE include 83.33 percent (10 of 12) from University of Rajshahi, 64.29 percent (9 of 14) from Sir Saimullah Medical College and 56.14 percent (32 of 57) from Dhaka University.
They also include 42.11 percent (8 of 19) from Rajshahi Medical College, 37.50 percent (33 of 88) from Jahurol Islam Medical College, 34.69 percent (34 of 98) from Medical College for Women and Hospital, Dhaka, 33.33 percent (18 of 54) from Dhaka National Medical College and 30.49 percent (25 of 82) from Kumudini Women’s Medical College and Hospital.

Prof AKM Ahsan Habib, director, medical education of the Directorate General of Health Services, is happy to hear the news.

He told bdnews24.com that foreign students study in Bangladesh in two ways – under SAARC and non-SAARC quota in government medical and dental colleges.

And private medical and dental colleges can enrol foreign students up to 50 percent of their total seats, he said, adding that currently 99 Indian students are studying in 36 government medical colleges.

The number at private medical colleges could not be known immediately.

Surely, doctors do better every where in India. There is a shortage in seats in India especially North India. India will soon rectify it. But half your population visit India for even minor check ups. Lol.

Sorry. I have not seen anyone wanting to do phd in civil engineering. I guess it is a STEM course but don't blame me for not thinking so.
STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. I thought Civil Engineering belongs to engineering. Am I wrong? Civil engineering is too wide and includes many things like roads, all types of bridges including cable-stayed ones, all types of foundations including piled ones, sluice gates including skin plate and foundations, retaining walls including piled ones, foundations, superstructures etc, etc.

You claim to be an engineer but without a simple knowledge of the oldest and most essential engineering, unfortunately. It may not be possible for a pea-brain IT guy to study all the mathematical problems associated with hydraulics or soil mechanics.

Last edited:
STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. I thought Civil Engineering belongs to engineering. Am I wrong? Civil engineering is too wide and includes many things like roads, all types of bridges including cable-stayed ones, all types of foundations including piled ones, sluice gates including skin plate and foundations, retaining walls including piled ones, foundations,superstructures etc, etc.

You claim to be an engineer but without a simple knowledge of the oldest and most essential engineering, unfortunately. It may not be possible for a pea-brain IT guy to study all the mathematical problems associated with hydraulics orsoil mechanics.
I corrected myself in my next post. You guys are pretty good at making strawman arguments by picking up on mistakes rather than on the subject. Who the heck cares if one of you guys do a PHD in civil engineering :undecided:? That is not brain drain. There is no brain drain happening from Bangladesh. The community as a whole has not ever outsmarted the locals of any country they emigrated to. Bangladeshis everywhere are pretty low in living and earning standards. First, try to improve that rather than belittling or comparing yourself to Indians. I believe you are a little saner in that regard. I don't want engage in abuse with you. So take care.

Last edited:
What has been proven to work in China has been taxpayer funded university programs with the explicit goal of commercializing leading technologies with immediate applications. For China, that has been investment in chemistry and electronics, both applications and fundamentals, since the late 1990's. In addition, China has had a major push in civil engineering since the mid 2000's.

Today China has players in all aspects of chemistry and electronics: semiconductor equipment, materials, fabs, design and packaging; PCB manufacturing and assembly; displays; oil/gas; polymers; iron/steel; generic pharma; biotech. These are interlocking fields, particularly at the semiconductor and display end. This further drove development in software which created a positive feedback loop of software driving demands for hardware which enables new software...

For Bangladesh, civil engineering, mechanical engineering and software innovation is the key at this stage of development. It is unlikely for Bangladesh to receive the same amount of benefit from semiconductors and electronics since China/South Korea/Taiwan are too competitive. Chemistry is too dominated by China, US, Japan and Germany. But for mechanical components, it's a bit more open especially on the low end. Even Thailand can produce i.e. car parts and they are much higher value than textiles. Software is also easy money for Bangladesh, since English speaking Bangladeshis can compete with Indians.

I did my masters in computer science in US. I had one Bangladeshi in my class and he would get angry if I have not shared my assignments with him. He feels like I am obligated to share my notes. I clearly observed the Bangladeshi whining and entitlement potential.

By the way, who does PhD in Civil engineering? That is not one of the STEM course.

That's the problem with you Indians - even sharing notes is too much to ask from you small hearted people.

That's the problem with you Indians - even sharing notes is too much to ask from you small hearted people.
I meant assignment notes. They are supposed to be done by yourself. I would share but he demands it as if it is his right. This entitlement I have observed in other Bangladeshis too.

I meant assignment notes. They are supposed to be done by yourself. I would share but he demands it as if it is his right. This entitlement I have observed in other Bangladeshis too.

I got information from Nilgiri that in average around half of Indian citizen who are studying in Western country universities will not go back to India and later will change their citizenship.

I got information from Nilgiri that in average around half of Indian citizen who are studying in Western country universities will not go back to India and later will change their citizenship.
Almost 80% would not return unless an Indian company would pay them in equal or they have personal reasons to do so. India has a large population which can manage this brain drain. About quarter a million leaving country is nothing compared to our population. Their success in those countries have greatly enhanced reputation of India talent. Hope this continues till our economy grows, this brain drain would automatically stops.

That’s true. During my university times I helped Pakistani, Indian and Bangladeshi students to find accommodation and part-time jobs. The funny thing was that most Pakistanis wanted to stay in Germany but most Indians wanted to leave Germany for UK, Canada or USA. Bangladeshis missed their home the most but also wanted to stay in Germany. Nobody went back and if you check their LinkedIn accounts you will see that they are all still in Germany :D.

Brain drain is a good word for our situation. Desis thrive in the West and get better grades than the natives whilst working part time jobs but they cannot achieve the same thing back home. That’s the real problem. It’s not about IQ gap and stuff like that it’s all about the environment you live.

Desis thrive in the West and get better grades than the natives whilst working part time jobs but they cannot achieve the same thing back home. That’s the real problem. It’s not about IQ gap and stuff like that it’s all about the environment you live.

The US situation is slightly different. You will see so many Indian computer science students in American universities because the locals don't want to study that discipline. Switch to the pure science disciplines like physics or chemistry, you'll see the locals dominate where Indians could hardly be seen. Although I have seen a decent presence of Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and Nepalis in these areas.

The only competition Indians have are the Chinese who fell behind because of their English. The US embassy/consulates in India and their visa regulations are far more liberal than their counterparts in Bangladesh and Pakistan which is why Bangladeshis and Pakistanis cannot compete with the Indian numeric advantage. Indians have also abused this liberal visa regulations to a great extent which has been discussed in some of my earlier posts in this thread, resulting in the admission of many Indian students with low credentials.

From my experience, Indian students even in graduate studies tend to have a very low conceptual basis which you are supposed to gain in your high school.

Even their IITs are massively overrated, you would know once you interact with them. The unique process of the student recruitment in the IITs explains it. There is a place called Kota in western India which is famous for its coaching centers specialized for JEE exams (the admission tests for IITs). Indian high school graduates would stay there residentially for 2 to 3 years, spending huge sums as coaching fees to prepare for the exams. Essentially, they rote the syllabus for years before appearing at the JEE. In comparison, in Bangladesh, students get only 4 to 5 months to prepare for the admission tests in the top universities and there is no second chance if you fail to secure admission in your first attempt.

So I would say there is definitely a gulf in educational standard if not an IQ gap. This is also endorsed by several studies/surveys,

https://www.thequint.com/news/india/indias-pisa-moment-are-we-turning-into-a-nation-of-nitwits

@Landmine your thoughts?

The US situation is slightly different. You will see so many Indian computer science students in American universities because the locals don't want to study that discipline. Switch to the pure science disciplines like physics or chemistry, you'll see the locals dominate where Indians could hardly be seen. Although I have seen a decent presence of Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and Nepalis in these areas.

The only competition Indians have are the Chinese who fell behind because of their English. The US embassy/consulates in India and their visa regulations are far more liberal than their counterparts in Bangladesh and Pakistan which is why Bangladeshis and Pakistanis cannot compete with the Indian numeric advantage. Indians have also abused this liberal visa regulations to a great extent which has been discussed in some of my earlier posts in this thread, resulting in the admission of many Indian students with low credentials.

From my experience, Indian students even in graduate studies tend to have a very low conceptual basis which you are supposed to gain in your high school.

Even their IITs are massively overrated, you would know once you interact with them. The unique process of the student recruitment in the IITs explains it. There is a place called Kota in western India which is famous for its coaching centers specialized for JEE exams (the admission tests for IITs). Indian high school graduates would stay there residentially for 2 to 3 years, spending huge sums as coaching fees to prepare for the exams. Essentially, they rote the syllabus for years before appearing at the JEE. In comparison, in Bangladesh, students get only 4 to 5 months to prepare for the admission tests in the top universities and there is no second chance if you fail to secure admission in your first attempt.

So I would say there is definitely a gulf in educational standard if not an IQ gap. This is also endorsed by several studies/surveys,

https://www.thequint.com/news/india/indias-pisa-moment-are-we-turning-into-a-nation-of-nitwits

@Landmine your thoughts?

This can all be summed up to al of South Asia bring poor as heck and underdeveloped.

Of course that Protest Again guy will defend India , not the first time I se Indians talk smack about everyone else and then get shitted on by the Chinese,Brits,Americans etc

All they know what to do is scream SUPWAPOWA 2020 , while crying cause Bangaldesh gets slightly ahead in GDP per capita.

India is more divided than America , there's no way they will ever develop with that amount of chaos.

Also don't get me them started on them trying to compete with China lol

This can all be summed up to al of South Asia bring poor as heck and underdeveloped.

Of course that Protest Again guy will defend India , not the first time I se Indians talk smack about everyone else and then get shitted on by the Chinese,Brits,Americans etc

All they know what to do is scream SUPWAPOWA 2020 , while crying cause Bangaldesh gets slightly ahead in GDP per capita.

India is more divided than America , there's no way they will ever develop with that amount of chaos.

Also don't get me them started on them trying to compete with China lol

True but there is something more to it I think. Unlike others, Indian students are only concerned about somehow getting a degree and secure a job, without any thirst for knowledge or research. That probably explains their poor performance in different research/field projects as discussed earlier.

India's revenue is $650 billion compared to $26 billion of Bangladesh. Yet we are supposed to believe Bangladesh has better percapita.
there is no linear relationship between tax collection and per capita GDP. US has better per capita GDP than European countries, but it's tax collection as a percentage of GDP is lower than Europe. India has a robust tax collection system by South Asian standard by both central and provincial govt. India's tax collection as a percentage of GDP is even better than Sri Lanka. Now don't tell me, Sri Lankan are poorer than Indians when the reality is Sri Lankan's per capita GDP is almost twice of Indian's.

According to IMF data, India's general govt. revenue collection is 19% of GDP and govt. spending is 27% of GDP, while for Bangladesh, the respective figures are 9% and 15%. So you can see, India's tax collection and spending is twice of Bangladesh. Bangladesh historically has lower capacity to collect tax. It's tax to GDP ratio is among the bottom five countries in the world. We are yet to undertake any big tax reform. Only 1% of the population give income tax.
Visit Dhaka, their only major city and then comment.
What about Chittagong? A city of 6 million don't constitute a major city?

And for your comment of visiting Dhaka to realize how bad Bangladesh is, my suggestion is that, as an Indian you should not throw stone when you are living in a glass house. Look at your glorious capital city, Delhi. You got the resources of 1.3 billion people to improve your capital city.

Last edited:
What has been proven to work in China has been taxpayer funded university programs with the explicit goal of commercializing leading technologies with immediate applications. For China, that has been investment in chemistry and electronics, both applications and fundamentals, since the late 1990's. In addition, China has had a major push in civil engineering since the mid 2000's.

Today China has players in all aspects of chemistry and electronics: semiconductor equipment, materials, fabs, design and packaging; PCB manufacturing and assembly; displays; oil/gas; polymers; iron/steel; generic pharma; biotech. These are interlocking fields, particularly at the semiconductor and display end. This further drove development in software which created a positive feedback loop of software driving demands for hardware which enables new software...

For Bangladesh, civil engineering, mechanical engineering and software innovation is the key at this stage of development. It is unlikely for Bangladesh to receive the same amount of benefit from semiconductors and electronics since China/South Korea/Taiwan are too competitive. Chemistry is too dominated by China, US, Japan and Germany. But for mechanical components, it's a bit more open especially on the low end. Even Thailand can produce i.e. car parts and they are much higher value than textiles. Software is also easy money for Bangladesh, since English speaking Bangladeshis can compete with Indians.
I completely agree with what you proposed for BD to start with. However, when our people are unable to produce a simple engine or electric motor, our govt is talking about aeronautieucal engg, and some of our brats here are proposing to produce high end Electrical Vehicles (EV) as BD has a magic lamp and we have just to wish anything.

Back
Top Bottom