What's new

Home-made engines to play major role in China’s future fighters

Beast

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China Military Online English Edition

BEIJING, October 22 (ChinaMil) -- A large array of domestic and foreign new fighters including J-10, J-31 and Su-35 will appear at the 10th China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition (Airshow China 2014) during November 11 to 16, 2014. Wu Guohui, a professor from the National Defense University (NDU) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), said in an interview that China has made remarkable headway in its home-made fighters and "Taihang" aviation engines, and less imported engines will be fitted in China's fighters in the future.

Home-made engines will play a major role in China’s future fighters with a small number of imports

Engines have always been a weak link in the development of China's aviation industry. Although China has successfully developed the "Taihang" engine, it hasn't been applied in fighters on a large scale yet.

The "Taihang" engine is China's first high-performance, high-thrust and afterburning turbofan engine with independent intellectual property right (IPR), which fills the blank of domestically-produced advanced turbofan engine.

China has made substantial progress in domestically-produced engines and fighters, but the fact is that its overall airplane production capacity cannot meet the demand for military equipment upgrade. For instance, the engines for J-10 are mostly imported from Russia.

"The military has a large demand, but we are unable to produce enough products," said Wu Guohui, adding that "in the future, we'll mainly use locally-produced equipment and import some as supplement, which will not only improve our overall combat capability, but also boost the development of Chinese aviation industry. China will import fewer and fewer fighter engines. It will be inevitable."

New-generation fighters will be expensive but with significantly-enhanced combat performance

The high cost of a fighter is a serious issue faced by all countries around the world.

The unit price of a F-16 fighter was less than $20 million in the 1990s, but it's over $40 million now, and the unit price of a new-type F-35 stealth fighter is even up to $140 million.

"We have used a lot of new technologies in the engine, avionics and stealth materials of a fighter, and invested immensely in front-end research and development. Therefore, the new-generation fighter independently developed by China will surely be much more expensive than the third-generation fighter, but still a little cheaper than imported fighter of the same type," said Wu Guohui.

Due to the high price and the significantly-improved combat capability, there won't be as many new fighters in the future as in the past.

"The missile range of current fighters is several hundreds of kilometers, and the airspace that a fighter can control is obviously expanded, so there is no need for a lot of equipment to meet the combat demand," Wu Guohui added.

Good news for China. Their reliance on Russia's engines is definitely over. They've realized that if they want to be a true military superpower than can't rely on foreign made engines to drive their latest aircraft, such as the J-20, J-31, or J-18. It is a strong sign that China is progressing rapidly up the tree of military technology. Domestic engine production is also good overall for their military industry, giving them valuable experience that they can use in future projects for the PLA and pushing them to innovate further.

I don't wanna be picky, but the unit price for an F-35 is down to about $107 million now, not the $140 million in the article.

Good news for China. Their reliance on Russia's engines is definitely over. They've realized that if they want to be a true military superpower than can't rely on foreign made engines to drive their latest aircraft, such as the J-20, J-31, or J-18. It is a strong sign that China is progressing rapidly up the tree of military technology. Domestic engine production is also good overall for their military industry, giving them valuable experience that they can use in future projects for the PLA and pushing them to innovate further.

I don't wanna be picky, but the unit price for an F-35 is down to about $107 million now, not the $140 million in the article.

Using foreign engine is never the aim of China strategy but interim solution. But I have to say Salut of supplying AL-31N engine is possibly one of the best Russian firm China ever work with. They have been reliable in deliver the product and cooperative enough with China in maintenance of their product without overcharging.

This is the reason why China top level is comfortable continuing using Salut engine for J-10.

Engine design and manufacturing is a complex process and it is great to see China making extensive advancement in this process.

Engine design and manufacturing is a complex process and it is great to see China making extensive advancement in this process.
It's more like the previous leadership of China lack of forsight to invest heavily on aeronautic engine sector. It's only recently that AVIC decide to pump in lots of fund on engine sector and is the reason why now we start to see more fruit of the investment.

Lool I thought a Chinese member here(beidou) said that China is ahead if us in engine production/tech? :rofl:
Not knowing that when it comes to engine tech, we are a tier 1 player in the world( only the U.S comes close to us to be honest). Anyway keep catching up, but don't get ahead of yourselves and make comments like Chinas engine tech is at par/above ours.:disagree: That is something we mastered decades(almost a century) ago.:coffee:

Lool I thought a Chinese member here(beidou) said that China is ahead if us in engine production/tech? :rofl:
Not knowing that when it comes to engine tech, we are a tier 1 player in the world( only the U.S comes close to us to be honest). Anyway keep catching up, but don't get ahead of yourselves and make comments like Chinas engine tech is at par/above ours.:disagree: That is something we mastered decades(almost a century) ago.:coffee:

Also US/UK should not be complacent.

China, in PPP, has the largest economy in the world to advance engine technology.

That's amazing! The UK mastered jet engine technology a century ago? Yes, I remember how during WW2, turbofan powered Spitfires swept all Nazi opposition from the skies as cowardly British soldiers at Dunkirk renewed their drive towards Berlin and captured Hitler. I guess the only thing the UK needs to master now is "how do I prevent another Scottish referendum in the future that will leave the UK with even less of their little shitty island" technology. :woot:

Also US/UK should not be complacent.

China, in PPP, has the largest economy in the world to advance engine technology.

To be honest, I will think that a big country like China will have been able to have developed a reliable working engine by now long time ago. Its iindeed strange/funny they haven't been able to do it since then, for the worlds second largest economy (soon be largest if things goes well) its really a shame they haven't been able to developed an operational one by now. So its not all about large economy/PPP or whatever. Its more to do with technological capabilities of a country, historical factors etc.
So I won't expect a working reliable/fully operational/widely tested Chinese engine until about a decade from now. Its still not that bad though, at least they can console themselves with the fact that only we the U.S , France and Russia have been able to produce a reliable engine until now. So China coming after that isn't that bad. But they could do better for their size IMO.
I was just correcting the beidou guy who seemed to think China is ahead of U.K in engine tech. Lol. Something even the mighty Americans recogniz we have a slight lead over them in. :bunny:

That's amazing! The UK mastered jet engine technology a century ago? Yes, I remember how during WW2, turbofan powered Spitfires swept all Nazi opposition from the skies as cowardly British soldiers at Dunkirk renewed their drive towards Berlin and captured Hitler. I guess the only thing the UK needs to master now is "how do I prevent another Scottish referendum in the future that will leave the UK with even less of their little shitty island" technology. :woot:

Lool little shitty island technology? Lool. A technology China has been spending billions in for years now, but still haven't been able to produce a fully reliable engine to date? Why is it you still import engines from soviet Russia (who's engines still lags behind us and the U.S by the way)? You should sk yourself why chin hasnt been able to export its fighter jets , simply because it doesn't have an independent engine yet, and relies on Moscow for them. So no country will want to buy a fighter jet from you when you can't provide them with an indigenous engine yourself, and they have to negotiate with Moscow again for that. Etc.

I wasn't laughing at China per say, I as laughing at the beidou nationalistic guy who said China is ahead of us in engine tech. Lool something even the most nationalistic Chinese out there know its totally false. so China first has to catch up with Russian engines before it can even think of matching us and the U.S in this field. This is not bad mouthing or whatever, this is just stating facts. :cheers:

Last edited:
@mike2000 : You have to remember that before year 2000, the Chinese simply did not have the money to lavish on engine R&D. The economy before then was maybe the tenth largest in world or even lesser in size.

Only since 2000 has enough funds become available for them to focuss properly on engine tech. We will have to wait and see but from what we can see already they are only till the end of the decade till they have fully mastered engine tech. Still behind US/UK but nonetheless they could be free of Russia for good.

Back
Top Bottom