What's new

Holi celebrated across US

StormShadow

Reaction score
WASHINGTON: With Holi gradually gaining ground in the US, a large number of people including non-Indians are reported to be celebrating the festival of colours across America.

While most of the Holi celebrations are planned for the coming weekend, the ones held this past weekend have attracted hundreds of people.

US lawmakers too are now greeting Indian-Americans on the occasion that has gained quite a following among youth and non-Indians.

"The festival of Holi, known as the festival of colours, is a time for communities to come together after the long winter months and celebrate the coming of spring," Congressman Joe Crowley said in a statement greeting people on the occasion.

The eight-term representative from the 14th Congressional District of New York, Crowley is a member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee and serves as Vice Chair of the Democratic Caucus in the House of Representatives.

"While Holi's origins are in India, the festival has become a tradition celebrated by many in the United States."

"Today, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and Buddhists will join family and friends to observe Holi through dance, music, meals, the lighting of bonfires celebrating goodness over evil and the tossing of vibrant coloured powders into the air, in a grand celebration of peace, friendship, and harmony," Crowley said.

Over the weekend, one of the largest such celebrations was held in Houston, Texas that attracted several thousand people including non-Hindu Americans.

Running into its fifth annual Holi festival, this year's theme was "Green Holi", which stressed on the use of new herbal and non-toxic colours.

"I was here last year and this year the crowd seemed more enthusiastic. It was a well managed event and there were no issues all day which is surprising considering the number of attendees," Lt Aaron Slater said.

"I have never seen such a large number of non-Indian participating in Indian festival," said Vijay Pallod, another Houston resident.

The Bihar and Jharkhand Association of North America has scheduled the celebrations in New Jersey on April 4 while Indian-Americans in the Greater Washington Area will do so this weekend.

The Barsana Dham in Austin Texas, which celebrates Holi in the traditional "Braj way" will mark it on March 30.

Holi celebrated across US - The Times of India

Holy is a fun festival...Throwing colors at each other for fun? Americans will defintely like it! Americans tend to like meaningless, yet fun things...

Eid is a fun festival... sacraficing a goat? Americans will defintely like it! Americans tend to like violent, yet religious things..

:lol:

Alright brother.

Btw, sometime my friends would ask "So how many goats/cows etc are slaughtered on Eid" ..and I'll tell them "Well, close to 2 million goats/camels etc are slaughtered at ONE place ALONE! (Makkah, after Hajj)..and there are 1.7 billion Muslims around the world...you guess" ..and they'll be like "WHAAAAAAAAT?!" :cheesy:

Eid is a fun festival... sacraficing a goat? Americans will defintely like it! Americans tend to like violent, yet religious things..

they are one of the biggest consumer of beef and mutton they would love it if they can eat and be religious at same time.

14315075-raw-fresh-beef-meat-slices-in-a-ceramic-dish-with-garlic-and-peppers-isolated-over-white-backkground.jpg

my Indian friends in Dubai have combined both played holi and we ate beef biryani:smitten:

1935811716.jpg

WR3.jpg

13_nt_holi_9_gn_5.jpg

:lol:

Alright brother.

Btw, sometime my friends would ask "So how many goats/cows etc are slaughtered on Eid" ..and I'll tell them "Well, close to 2 million goats/camels etc are slaughtered at ONE place ALONE! (Makkah, after Hajj)..and there are 1.7 billion Muslims around the world...you guess" ..and they'll be like "WHAAAAAAAAT?!" :cheesy:

Camel? Isn't that harem cause it has two hoofs?

What? Who told you this rule?

Camel is halal..and 1 camel can be sacrificed for upto 7 people...So if my family has 7 people..and 'Qurbaani' is compulsory on all of them...I don't need to slaughter 7 goats..I can sacrifice 1 camel and can be done with it..But slaughtering a camel is one HELL of a messy, and scary task....

I have eaten Camel's meat...gotta say...its VERY hard to eat..haha..I'll prefer lamb/goat definitely...

Camel is halal..and 1 camel can be sacrificed for upto 7 people...So if my family has 7 people..and 'Qurbaani' is compulsory on all of them...I don't need to slaughter 7 goats..I can sacrifice 1 camel and can be done with it..But slaughtering a camel is one HELL of a messy, and scary task....

I have eaten Camel's meat...gotta say...its VERY hard to eat..haha..I'll prefer lamb/goat definitely...

I read it somewhere, probably wikipedia. Wasn't orginal kebab made from camel meat?

I read it somewhere, probably wikipedia. Wasn't orginal kebab made from camel meat?

I don't know about that...

Kebabs have turkish origin..I doubt if camels were famous in Turkey...probably horse meat, which is undesirable in Islam? :undecided: I don't know...

Back
Top Bottom