What's new

Hoisting of national flag upsets militant group

@mafiya, there is a window of detection for IEDs buried in a road. Perpetrators burn a tire on the road to soften the asphalt. they dig up the asphalt, plant the IED and cover it with a bit of asphalt while it is still hot. While the residual heat lasts, a drone can pick it up via IR detection. The first time this happened was in Iraq. While the drone operator and his supervisor had detected the tell tale circular shape of IED site because of the tire burning, they had no way of alerting the fast moving convoy that was the target. Result was a number of casualties that could have been avoided if procedures could have been in place.

In any case my point is that buried IEDs are detectable in certain cases and that it is part of COIN warfare now.

@FunkyGen it is a good idea to keep things short and simple. If you are not able to get your point across, drop it. These are discussions after all and if you can not persuade someone or communicate effectively enough, then it is not the end of the world.

It is better to run a couple of kilometers to get in shape than to bang your head (and others') in a futile effort. Over time I hope you would appreciate that positive attitude ensures that you get heard and that you are taken seriously. Loose a battle, but win the war.

And then of course there are the one liners....
"how"
"how old are you"

No wonder we don't produce good engineers, maybe we should import some!

yes we understand you well dear. dont be upset

it was a test ;)

if you want to share your ideas then I am sure you will like what @MastanKhan khan has in store for you. @Icarus , Sir do you agree or should we suggest @Hyperion for a start? I am worried that Khan saab might give a dose that might be too much

All designs against FATA will fail, people of FATA are Pakistanis. :pakistan:

Clutching straws. The article stresses that they hoisted the flag to avoid being bombed. Great if it was in another country but in your own country?

I've mellowed down a lot! :P

it was a test ;)

if you want to share your ideas then I am sure you will like what @MastanKhan khan has in store for you. @Icarus , Sir do you agree or should we suggest @Hyperion for a start? I am worried that Khan saab might give a dose that might be too much

What you call weird is what i call innovation!

Innovation requires more than just fanciful ideas, it requires concepts. Design this magical quadcopter, put it up for trials and then I will personally accept that I was a pessimistic ******* but until your definition of 'innovation' is just an idea that resides as nothing more than a pigment of your imagination, it cannot be called innovation, it's imagination. Learn to differentiate between the two.

Yeah sure bring him, incorporating sights into drones into isn't a new concept and so isn't gyro stabilization, a where do laws of physics come in play? maybe you forgot to take your elementary physics, not my problem!

I have been tolerating your childish none sense for 3 days so I urge you to show some respect, don't be a wise *** with me, you must be feeling grand after clearing you matriculation exams but don't forget that I have been studying from before you were born.

Now for the rest of your post, although sights and gyros are common, a long range rifle, an elongated barrel and a high calibre bullet are not. If you shoot at a target, the velocity of the round will exert an equal force of the firing platform, which in you case is a floating drone, thereby throwing it out of balance. Get it? Or would you like a diagram?

With a god damn battery of course!

You can't tear our Defence Industry a new ******* for not being innovators and then fail to give an adequate answer, a battery is pretty straight forward but what kind of battery, what output and then will the drone sustain the battery's weight? It's an infinite loop:

Large Battery=More Weight=More Powerplant=More Weight=Right back to the battery

Oh maybe you didn't know that nobody would hear a small quad half a mile away.... or maybe you need t buy one and do a little experiment!

Well that depends on the motor, the altitude and terrain, maybe you need to put down your toy and think about the dynamics of battlefields.

Now this is where the laws of physics come in play, but i guess you were out to mention them so that i may look stupid, as far as the recoil goes the answer lies in the weight distribution and of course i did mention gyro stabilized.... you know what that means?

http://www.aerialexposures.com/Scotland-Vehicle.jpg
http://www.obzerv.com/webfolder_dow...25027ebd5bec/bil-installed-web-picture-02.jpg
http://www.defensereview.com/wp-con...UWM_SHOT_Show_2013_DefenseReview.com_DR_3.jpg

All these are gyro-stabilized platforms, notice the one thing in common, they are all grounded to dissipate recoil. Do you suggest a Gyro is otherwise capable of dissipating recoil into thin air? I'm sure Newton had a heart attack in his own grave and then you want to act like a wise *** with those comments. Knowing a fancy name does not mean that you know the dynamics behind it, a gyro is a gyro, not magic.

Any body who knows a bit about composites can tell you how!?

Why don't you?

You haven't seen that before? but how, you're a think tank for god's sake!

Well for starters I don't pretend to be a wise *** about matters I know nothing about.

From this post one can easily see that you're admitting that they are present somewhere either in a commander's house or some fighter's house hence the word "contradiction....

There is a difference between ammo dumps and arms cache! God, do you know ANYTHING? You must read more and play less COD!

Yeah what they need is Talibs barbequing their asses in their houses, google aman laskar go to images section and see the images for yourself, they are too gruesome to post here, what an idiotic post!

I spent 4 years with the Salarzai Lashkar, I know their capability and their weaknesses, they are not going to be involved in tactical ops and thus need no Int. They just have to secure their areas which they do fine. So please don't teach me matters that you learn off google images.

No! they are actually in direct with your backwards thinking!

Once again, make the frigging drone and then be up in my face. As long as it doesn't exist, you're just a kid with a crazy fetish.

I don't see it being important when their is no one to decrypt it!

If its not encrypted, it cant be decrypted and if it isn't encrypted anyone on the broadcast frequency has access to it. Damn you're stupid.

I am proud that at least i have ideas which quite frankly you're supposed to have cause you know, you're the "THINK TANK", i although wonder what is in the "TANK".

Ideas= No value.
Solutions=Required

Your ideas amount to bull**** until you put them in action.

Our counter terrorism policy to this date has been to let the miscreants rape us over and over again, destroy our strategic assets and issue videos of our beheaded soldiers. So, i think i'm not pulling any ideas as there is no counter terrorism policy to begin with....
Also i feel stupid for posting this particular post, you guys are not innovation friendly i must say.....

Screw this illusion of grandeur! You are not 'innovative friendly' you are a guy with an opinion who thinks he knows stuff but you don't know jack ***.

it was a test ;)

@MastanKhan all the way. Full dose. No holds barred. I have been intellectually drained in the last three days.

@FunkyGen @Icarus @Irfan Baloch

Your idea of having a small cannon on quad copter is viable and I can say this with my experience on working on several UAV including quad copter and competing in a US army held competition.

In our assignment we were able to release another quad copter from a UAV after locating a target using image processing.

The recoil can be neutralized with weight and velocity of the UAV couple with gyro stabilization. The instantaneous dis-balance can be taken care of.

Its tough but possible.

Your idea of having a small cannon on quad copter is viable and I can say this with my experience on working on several UAV including quad copter and competing in a US army held competition.

In our assignment we were able to release another quad copter from a UAV after locating a target using image processing.

The recoil can be neutralized with weight and velocity of the UAV couple with gyro stabilization. The instantaneous dis-balance can be taken care of.

Its tough but possible.

Our friend is interested in mounting a high-calibre rifle with 2km range onto a quad-copter. I dare say that is not a viable solution.

Our friend is interested in mounting a high-calibre rifle with 2km range onto a quad-copter. I dare say that is not a viable solution.

I would ask the size of copter he is looking for before daring anything. With addition of mass, an anti recoil thrust, high performance gyro, control laws and high velocity, its possible.

For a very small quad copter, I will agree to you.

Its tough but possible.
thanks for answering my followup question.. the chassis of the drone should be rugged and stable enough to ensure a viable platform for such weapon.

the question is why? and for what cost and what is already available? how effective will this thing be?

like @Icarus indicated it might need another field of engineering and industrial line of miniaturizing the weapons with equal output and effectiveness . by the time we spend time and money on that maybe energy based weapons would have found a more suitable size to house in small flying drones.

I dont exect to see that in my lifetime.

thanks for answering my followup question.. the chassis of the drone should be rugged and stable enough to ensure a viable platform for such weapon.

the question is why? and for what cost and what is already available? how effective will this thing be?

like @Icarus indicated it might need another field of engineering and industrial line of miniaturizing the weapons with equal output and effectiveness . by the time we spend time and money on that maybe energy based weapons would have found a more suitable size to house in small flying drones.

I dont exect to see that in my lifetime.

All your need can be taken care of if few things are answered -

1- What is the size of copter you are looking forward.
2- Can we fit a nitro engine to provide sufficient thrust in that size.
3- can we program an anti recoil thrust completely in sync with firing cannon.
4- How accurate we can design control law and gyro in that size.

My only concern is size cap. Rest all are illustrated technologies.

When we do have to release a quad copter from a flying UAV, the thrust and inertia of parent UAV need to be taken care of, the same law can be implemented.

My whole point is, its tough but not that impossible to debunk the idea in its very early age.

I would ask the size of copter he is looking for before daring anything. With addition of mass, an anti recoil thrust, high performance gyro, control laws and high velocity, its possible.

For a very small quad copter, I will agree to you.

Exactly my point, however our friends wants a:

1. Quadcopter
2. With a high-calibre rifle
3. That is silent
4. Is small enough to avoid detection in recon roles.
5. Has endurance for sustained Ops.
6. Has a service ceiling high enough to avoid detection.
7. Yet still be able to eavesdrop on ground Comm.
8. Forward feed to ground troops.
9. Detect IEDs.

As far as I know, all that in one platform is asking for too much.

Tell that to the 25 shia's who were killed last week.
Don't worry they would get justice even they know it sir some dumbos and many of them are funded by west are involved in sectarian fights old habit of west

Back
Top Bottom