What's new

History of Vietnam or What do you want to know about Vietnam?

It`s the change of history and language...
We young Chinese people can also hardly write traditional Chinese character..
But we can still read. Chinese is simplified in a certain manner that you can read it after short training.
If cannot read what your ancestor write, you will lose your history..

Our ancestor writing was also the traditional Chinese character. My grandfather was a shaman so he could write a lot. Too bad none of my uncles and aunt can write though.

Also I think Vietnam is supposed to be another place for Chinese people to tour..
Traditional tour destination like Thailand is full of Chinese..
People are looking for new place like Vietnam..
Yet the tension between two countries ruin it...
I wish the relationship can return to normal and I have the chance to visit Vietnam..

Our ancestor writing was also the traditional Chinese character. My grandfather was a shaman so he could write a lot. Too bad none of my uncles and aunt can write though.

are you nuts?
ok man then why not try trinking blood and eating a live heart of a cobra as well? as special and very expensive dish in VN :cool:

live-cobra-heart.jpg

You know too much.

Yum~:p:

But we can still read. Chinese is simplified in a certain manner that you can read it after short training.

Also I think Vietnam is supposed to be another place for Chinese people to tour..
I wish the relationship can return to normal and I have the chance to visit Vietnam..
It's not that bad already. I have a cousin who works as a driver for VN-Chinese tourism agency. Even when the tension was at the peak, he was still busy driving groups after groups of Chinese tourists back and forth.

But it is a big of strange that Asia country using Latin letters for their language.
I am not sure if there is old Vietnam writing system before French
There were Nom, which is actually Chinese. Many minor VN ethics have their own languages, but no writing systems. Normally, they used to hire those knowing how to write and read to write documents for them, like receipts or family trees, of course in mandarin.

I would like to add that learning how to write or having a formal education was reserved only for the elites and scholars in feudal Asia. Some may only have a few years of education or may pick up a few commonly used scripts through their life, just enough for everyday use, but not enough to write a formal letter and document.

While Nôm script was well developed by scholars, one must first learn the Confucian script in order to use Nôm script. This is because Nôm script is both phonetic and semantic at the same time. Most people did not have the luxury to learn and remember either script.

Latin Alphabet, in the other hand, only have twenty something letters to remember and is based on phonetic rather than semantic. Most commoner can pick this up easily as the Jesuit missionaries provided free schooling for children.

Alexander the Rhodes was the French Jesuit who wrote the first Vietnamese Catechism. He spent 10 years in Vietnam from 1620 to 1630 and published the first Portuguese-Latin-Vietnamese dictionary while serving in the court of the Trịnh Lords.

I was told that there once was a monument to commemorate his achievements in Vietnam, however, it was unknowingly destroyed during the climax of the Vietnam war. The existence of a monument for him is now just a rumor.

Be that as it may, as quality of life and cost of living improves, we will definitely see more people gazing their interest in learning the old Nôm script and Confucian script on their free time as evidenced in this forum.

Base on Family Tree of Trần clan in Vietnam, who are direct descent of Tran Dynasty Emperor, It stated that the ancestor of Tran clan was named Tran Minh he has been came to Vietnam from period of Qin invasion before time of Zhao Tuo founded Nan Yue Guo. :cuckoo:

In the same case of Barack Obama.

Very interesting.

Giao Chỉ is one of 15 province of Văn Lang nation of the Lạc Việt during the Hùng Vương era of Hồng Bàng Dynasty (2879 to 258 BC), which predate Qin. Although, I didn't know that the House of Trần could trace their ancestry to the time of Qin as you stated. I thought they could only trace their lineage back to Trần Lý, the head of the Trần clan in Lưu Gia village, of Giao Chỉ province, which is Hưng Hà District, Thái Bình, in Việt Nam today.

Would you be able to share the source for this with me? I find it very hard to believe. With exposer to the open elements and handling, most pages in any record will suffer from abiotic and biotic decomposition.

Last edited:
Haha..
I wish to visit the coast city in Vietnam..
Vietnam has a lot of coast city with beautiful view

It's not that bad already. I have a cousin who works as a driver for VN-Chinese tourism agency. Even when the tension was at the peak, he was still busy driving groups after groups of Chinese tourists back and forth.

my zhongguo friend, you are welcome to Vietnam. But I am afraid you are lonely.
if judging posts of your comrades here and on other forums, Vietnam is a jungle and our people are monkeys.

also, I am little tired of such things.

Well, you also have friend like @NiceGuy that speak badly about each other...:-)
And if we continue quarreling like this, this will surely become boring...
why not focus on something interesting like electronics, food, travel, girls than the boring nationalism quarrel...
This make both side happy..

my zhongguo friend, you are welcome to Vietnam. But I am afraid you are lonely.
if judging posts of your comrades here and on other forums, Vietnam is a jungle and our people are monkeys.

also, I am little tired of such things.

Well, you also have friend like @NiceGuy that speak badly about each other...:-)
And if we continue quarreling like this, this will surely become boring...
why not focus on something interesting like electronics, food, travel, girls than the boring nationalism quarrel...
This make both side happy..
no everything but girls, otherwise we will get tons of trollers and racistic posts here:closed:

Haha..
You are welcome. I suggest you spend your time in southern coastal cities. The food tastes better and the sea is more beautiful. The weather is also great for swimming.

Very interesting.
Giao Chỉ is one of 15 province of Văn Lang nation of the Lạc Việt during the Hùng Vương era of Hồng Bàng Dynasty (2879 to 258 BC), which predate Qin. Although, I didn't know that the House of Trần could trace their ancestry to the time of Qin as you stated. I thought they could only trace their lineage back to Trần Lý, the head of the Trần clan in Lưu Gia village, of Giao Chỉ province, which is Hưng Hà District, Thái Bình, in Việt Nam today.
Would you be able to share the source for this with me? I find it very hard to believe. With exposer to the open elements and handling, most pages in any record will suffer from abiotic and biotic decomposition.

I copy for you here, I think you could read Vietnamese.

Nguồn gốc
Căn cứ vào gia phả họ Trần ở Nhạc Dương do thống tôn đời thứ 27 Trần Định Nhân còn lưu giữ được thì gốc tích xa xưa từ đời Chiến quốc, họTrần thuộc nhóm tộc người Bách Việt sống ở đất Mân (Phúc Kiến - Trung Quốc). Năm 227 trước công lịch, Phương chính hầu Trần Tự Minh đang làm quan cho Triệu Đà, vì mâu thuẫn giữa người Hán và người Bách Việt ông đã theo dòng người Bách Việt di cư xuống phía Nam. Tự Minh được vua An Dương Vương thu nạp, trở thành vị tướng tài ba, cùng Cao Lỗ giúp vua chống lại Triệu Đà. Khi thành Cổ Loa thất thủ, Âu Lạc rơi vào tay Triệu Đà, Trần Tự Minh lui về sống ẩn dật ở đất Kinh Bắc. Dòng họ này qua 700 năm ở Kinh Bắc phân ra nhiều nhánh, nhưng dòng thống tôn đến đời Trần Tự Viễn (582 - 637) nổi lên như một nhân tài kiệt xuất của xứ Giao Châu.
You can read more here http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nhà_Trần

Very interesting.

Its just another myth that contradicts mainstream archaeology and history.

It has as much value as Noah's ark or the 3 sovereigns and 5 emperors period of China ie none whatsoever.

Haha..
I saw a lot of Chinese tourists in Nha Trang, Vietnam this month :cheers:
We visited some islands by boat and they joined with us. Everyone was so happy.

VNese in Ukraine

20130923162050-img-3037.JPG

In the middle of the village is the Thanh Giong statue

20130923162539-img-3041-12.JPG

Truc Lam pagoda in Kharkov, Ucraine
HI ,Viet.I am so sad when i see the Vietnamese character in the picture。
VNese in Ukraine

20130923162050-img-3037.JPG

In the middle of the village is the Thanh Giong statue

20130923162539-img-3041-12.JPG

Truc Lam pagoda in Kharkov, Ucraine
HI viet:
so sad when see the vienamese charactars in the picture. why not use the chinese charactars on antithetical couplet ,that may be goodlooking and 。Chinese characters is not only belong to China, also belongs to vietnam as well as Japan, Korea, , ,we are all Confucian culture country, Chinese characters are used in vienam for thousands of years.
Although the mandarin and Vietnamese are not the same, but we can communicate with each other using Chinese characters 。for example I can't say japanese language, when I read the Japanese article and almosetly understand . what they say .Unfortunately, because of various reasons ,now Vietnam and Korea give up Chinese characters,Sincerely hoping recovery chinese characters education one day in your country. Confucian cultural is competitive cultural 。now Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hongkong are developed, only china,vietnam,north Koreawe are developing .China will become developed countries in next 10 year. the gdp will be more than USA, my wishes will soon come true,。 there are no war in Confucian cultural country (china ,japan ,korea,Vietnam)and resolve the disputes between each other peacefully 。

I copy for you here, I think you could read Vietnamese.

Nguồn gốc
Căn cứ vào gia phả họ Trần ở Nhạc Dương do thống tôn đời thứ 27 Trần Định Nhân còn lưu giữ được thì gốc tích xa xưa từ đời Chiến quốc, họTrần thuộc nhóm tộc người Bách Việt sống ở đất Mân (Phúc Kiến - Trung Quốc). Năm 227 trước công lịch, Phương chính hầu Trần Tự Minh đang làm quan cho Triệu Đà, vì mâu thuẫn giữa người Hán và người Bách Việt ông đã theo dòng người Bách Việt di cư xuống phía Nam. Tự Minh được vua An Dương Vương thu nạp, trở thành vị tướng tài ba, cùng Cao Lỗ giúp vua chống lại Triệu Đà. Khi thành Cổ Loa thất thủ, Âu Lạc rơi vào tay Triệu Đà, Trần Tự Minh lui về sống ẩn dật ở đất Kinh Bắc. Dòng họ này qua 700 năm ở Kinh Bắc phân ra nhiều nhánh, nhưng dòng thống tôn đến đời Trần Tự Viễn (582 - 637) nổi lên như một nhân tài kiệt xuất của xứ Giao Châu.

I usually avoid Wikipedia because I am a bit doubtful of its reliability, and because it is open to the public, anyone can edit it's content. Anyhow, thank you for sharing. Learn something new everyday. Cheers!

Its just another myth that contradicts mainstream archaeology and history.

It has as much value as Noah's ark or the 3 sovereigns and 5 emperors period of China ie none whatsoever.

I agree and disagree at the same time.

Ancient origin myths and oral histories and folklores, although do not have concrete evidences to back up the claims, help set the course and is the backbone of history for the particular culture and civilization. Sometime it's content may sound too mystical to be true in today's understanding. But, it does open up a partial view of the past and a glimpse through the consciousness of that particular race on how they perceive life.

There are, however, artifacts discovered showing a culture once thrived in this area dating back to the Hong Bang Dynasty. How this culture relates to Hong Bang Dynasty is debatable. The "burning of books and burying of scholars", in 213 - 210 BC edict given by Qin Shihuang, the first Emperor of China, resulted in some lost of History in Central Asia and human knowledge in general.

Furthermore, ancient history of one race may sometime contradict the ancient history, understanding and development of another race, this is because they are in parallel of each other. Cultural advancement and achievements in technologies varies from group to group. Forcing two parallel civilization's history together and expecting them to fit perfectly like a jigsaw puzzle would be ludicrous. Therefore, civilization that lived in parallel of each other can not share the same time line until the two collide and knowledges are exchanged.

....As a senior member of this forum, this is the part where you would reply to welcome me as a new member. Cheers!!

HI ,Viet.I am so sad when i see the Vietnamese character in the picture。

HI viet:
so sad when see the vienamese charactars in the picture. why not use the chinese charactars on antithetical couplet ,that may be goodlooking and 。Chinese characters is not only belong to China, also belongs to vietnam as well as Japan, Korea, , ,we are all Confucian culture country, Chinese characters are used in vienam for thousands of years.
Although the mandarin and Vietnamese are not the same, but we can communicate with each other using Chinese characters 。for example I can't say japanese language, when I read the Japanese article and almosetly understand . what they say .Unfortunately, because of various reasons ,now Vietnam and Korea give up Chinese characters,Sincerely hoping recovery chinese characters education one day in your country. Confucian cultural is competitive cultural 。now Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hongkong are developed, only china,vietnam,north Koreawe are developing .China will become developed countries in next 10 year. the gdp will be more than USA, my wishes will soon come true,。 there are no war in Confucian cultural country (china ,japan ,korea,Vietnam)and resolve the disputes between each other peacefully 。
I respect your wish. But do you know that Christians believe language is the punishment from God to make human never be able unify as one. I am no Christian but I believe something similar: language is the biggest obstacle against human advancement.

Even though VN and Korea and Japan did use Chinese writting system for a long time, our speaking languages are not Chinese. Using Chinese characters couldn't fully translated all the content of our speaking. Furthermore those used Chinese writting system in the past were mostly elites, and they were only in the small number. The majority of the people didn't know how to read or write. When China fought illiterate, China had to simplify the traditional Chinese. When VN fought illiterate, VN had to adapt to the latin. The main reason was that the dominant culture in VN at that time was French, not Chinese.

Still, I am glad to see some Chinese generous enough to share their culture with us. Sir, I wish you a good day.

Back
Top Bottom