What's new

Hindus too fleeing persecution in Myanmar

I think this is the second time i'm correcting you.. Sinhala is a Indo Aryan language and Sinhalese are genetically more related to Bengali and Gujrati, While Tamils are obviously Dravidian

The single reason for the civil conflict was language supremacy, Between the Sinhalese ruling class and Tamil Vellaya elite

Genetic_admixture_of_Sinhalese_by_Papiha.PNG

Sinhalese (/sɪnəˈliːz/), known natively as Sinhala ([ˈsiŋɦələ]),[3] is the native language of the Sinhalese people, who make up the largest ethnic group in Sri Lanka, numbering about 16 million.[4][5][6] Sinhalese is also spoken as a second language by other ethnic groups in Sri Lanka, totalling about four million.[7] It belongs to the Indo-Aryan branch of the Indo-European languages.[8] Sinhalese is written using the Sinhalese script, which is one of the Brahmic scripts, a descendant of the ancient Indian Brahmi script closely related to the Kadamba alphabet.[9]

oh sorry about that, i am mostly spending my free time on history of Germanic tribes and norse religion.

i dont get one thing about sinhalas. how can sinhalas be related to Gujaratis and bengalis when all of us lives miles apart ? like Gujarat is in West while bengal is in east, while sinhalas are in deep south. when this Gujarati and Bengali Migration happened ? is sinhali closely related to north indian languages ?

i dont get one thing about sinhalas. how can sinhalas be related to Gujaratis and bengalis when all of us lives miles apart ? like Gujarat is in West while bengal is in east, while sinhalas are in deep south.

Migrations through millennia, From a number of waves.. Original inhabitants most probably were of Dravidian origin not specifically Tamil.. First Sinhala kingdoms where in the North Central provinces and West.. South Indian invasions from time to time drove them more to the South and South West where they established themselves by the time of European colonists arrivals

is sinhali closely related to north indian languages ?

Yes Sinhala is a Indo Aryan language, Related to Hindi, Bengali, Urdu, Gujrati etc

Migrations through millennia, From a number of waves.. Original inhabitants most probably were of Dravidian origin not specifically Tamil.. First Sinhala kingdoms where in the North Central provinces and West.. South Indian invasions from time to time drove them more to the South and South West where they established themselves by the time of European colonists arrivals

Yes Sinhala is a Indo Aryan language, Related to Hindi, Bengali, Urdu, Gujrati etc

interesting, i am more focused on gujarati part as we have settled in many parts of Africa since 6th or 7th century but i never knew that we even settled in Lanka. i know that sinhala is an indo aryan language i was talking about vocabulary what % of sinhala language is Sanskrit based ? can you guys understand Hindi or sanskrit ?

@Gibbs are you guys ethnically closer to east or west Indians ? can you pass as one of us ? if yes, that you are one of us, and my long lost cousin.

Last edited:
interesting, i am more focused on gujarati part as we have settled in many parts of Africa since 6th or 7th century but i never knew that we even settled in Lanka.

Those early migrations were more than 3000 years ago, So i dont think Gujrat as it is now even existed, It's just that people from that region were early migrants

i know that sinhala is an indo aryan language i was talking about vocabulary what % of sinhala language is Sanskrit based ? can you guys understand Hindi or sanskrit ?

Most words are similar but colloquial Sinhala now a days are a mixed with many loan words from mainly Tamil and English.. Literal Sinhala is heavily influenced by Sanskrit

@Gibbs are you guys ethnically closer to east or west Indians ? can you pass as one of us ? if yes, that you are one of us, and my long lost cousin.

Well genetic and anthropological studies do show that Sinhalese are more related to Bengali's and less to Gujrati's so in essence they are of Indo Aryan stock

I'm Dutch Burgher (Eurasian) with Sinhala and a little bit of Tamil blood added in, But mainly of Dutch/German(paternal) and Belgian(maternal) origin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom