What's new

Hindus, Muslims celebrate Lucknow's 'Holi Baraat'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabbar

Reaction score
Hindus, Muslims celebrate Lucknow's 'Holi Baraat'

LUCKNOW: Amid shouts of "Holi hai", a large number of Hindus and Muslims came together here on Wednesday for a 40-year-old practise of jointly
celebrating the festival of colours in the old quarter.

Dancing to the beat of drums, the revellers assembled around 10 a.m. for the procession that began from the Koneshwar temple, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Lalji Tandon said.

People walked for about four kilometres. "Holi baraat sets an example of communal harmony," Tandon said.

A resident of Chowk locality, Tandon has been taking part in the function for the last 40 years.

The night before, Muslims in the area collected heaps of rose petals and garlands that were showered on Hindus as they arrived for the celebrations Wednesday, residents said.

"In response we (Hindus) garlanded them and exchanged pleasantries. This is how we have been celebrating Holi for years," said Anurag Mishra, one of the organisers.

The procession passed through various localities of Old Lucknow as more and more people joined it.

"Throughout the route, Holi Milans were organised where sweets and special paan were offered to the revellers," said one resident, Shabi Haider.

The multi-community procession has not been discontinued even once during the past 40 years.

"Even when there was communal tension following the demolition of the Babri Masjid (in 1992), Holi in the Chowk area was celebrated with usual gaiety and gusto," said Ritesh Dwivedi, another resident.

U see now this is good and postive news and perhaps one of the most decent and peacful news and posts i have seen here from members very nice!!

This is What Majority of Pakistani Members are ignorant about ... Leave aside the Cheap media stunts .. India = Hindus + Moslims = Together !!!!

Yes , we are and shall remain for ever .. a Unity in Diversity .. Forever.

An article written last yr abt holi in Lucknow

Holi, being celebrated across India March 21, may be the most colourful Hindu festival but it has a Muslim history as well.

Sufi saints like Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia and Amir Khusrau in their chaste Persian and Hindi loved the festival. Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar, whose Holi ‘phags’ (songs) are relished even today, allowed his Hindu ministers to tinge his forehead with ‘gulal’ during Holi festival each year.

During the Shahjahani tenure of Delhi, Holi was known as Eid-e-Gulabi (Pink Eid) or Aab-e-Pashi (Shower of Colourful Flowers), and truly so owing to its carnival spirit and hysterical rejoicing for both Hindus and Muslims.

The nobles, kings and nawabs exchanged rose water bottles and sprinkled them on each other along with the frenzied drumming of the ‘nagaras’ (drums).

This enlightened spirit percolated in the Mughals right from the time of the greatest Mughal emperor Akbar. Jahangir is shown holding Holi festivities in Tuzk-e-Jahangiri.

Many artists, especially Govardhan and Rasik, have shown Jahangir playing Holi with Noorjahan, his wife.

Mohammed Shah Rangila, in a remarkable painting, is shown running around the palace with his wife following him with a ‘pichkari’, or water cannon.

Such examples are umpteen in India’s cultural heritage; and this has been enriched by the harmonious amalgamation and assimilation of various faiths and ethnicities.

Mirza Sangi Baig in Sair-ul-Manazil narrates that the rollicking and frolicking Holi groups were alternately powdered and drenched till the floor had been covered with a swamp of crimson, yellow and orange colour, with the faces being multi- coloured, a spectacle very enthralling and exclusive.

“Who says Holi is a Hindu festival?” asks Munshi Zakaullah in his book Tarikh-e-Hindustani.

Zakaullah writes that the carnival of Holi lasted for days during the Mughal rule during which people, irrespective of religious or social distinctions, forgot their restraints. The poorest of the poor threw colour on the emperor.

Children’s Urdu monthly Khilona (March 1960) mentioned that during the days of Bahadur Shah Zafar, special arrangements were made for Holi festivities.

And Jam-e-Jahanuma, an Urdu newspaper (March 10, 1844), reported that on such occasions, both Hindus and Muslims joined hands.

Holi’s Muslim History | Indian Muslims

This comment on the site by one Abhilash is cool

"I saw at Lucknow Residency, the text of full chargesheet sent by the British Resident to Company Government about irresponsibility of Nawab Wajid Ali Shah of Lucknow. One interesting charge against him was that on the day of Holi, Nawab roamed streets of Lucknow beating drums and playing colours like a “commoner”. His behaviour was termed as unbecoming of a king and a friend of Company."

:)

Holi Mubarak to all

This is What Majority of Pakistani Members are ignorant about ... Leave aside the Cheap media stunts .. India = Hindus + Moslims = Together !!!!

Yes , we are and shall remain for ever .. a Unity in Diversity .. Forever.

Holi got nothing to do with Islam so why bring Muslims into this?

Holi is Hinduism.

Hindus living in Pakistan also celebrate Holi in Pakistan. Its Hinduism, I dont know why you bring Muslims into this.

Lets not turn into one of those thread again. Keep it positive.:cheers:

Holi is Hinduism.

Hindus living in Pakistan also celebrate Holi in Pakistan. Its Hinduism, I dont know why you bring Muslims into this.

Holi’s Muslim History

Holi, being celebrated across India March 21, may be the most colourful Hindu festival but it has a Muslim history as well.

Sufi saints like Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia and Amir Khusrau in their chaste Persian and Hindi loved the festival. Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar, whose Holi ‘phags’ (songs) are relished even today, allowed his Hindu ministers to tinge his forehead with ‘gulal’ during Holi festival each year.

During the Shahjahani tenure of Delhi, Holi was known as Eid-e-Gulabi (Pink Eid) or Aab-e-Pashi (Shower of Colourful Flowers), and truly so owing to its carnival spirit and hysterical rejoicing for both Hindus and Muslims.

The nobles, kings and nawabs exchanged rose water bottles and sprinkled them on each other along with the frenzied drumming of the ‘nagaras’ (drums).

This enlightened spirit percolated in the Mughals right from the time of the greatest Mughal emperor Akbar. Jahangir is shown holding Holi festivities in Tuzk-e-Jahangiri.

Many artists, especially Govardhan and Rasik, have shown Jahangir playing Holi with Noorjahan, his wife.

Mohammed Shah Rangila, in a remarkable painting, is shown running around the palace with his wife following him with a ‘pichkari’, or water cannon.

Such examples are umpteen in India’s cultural heritage; and this has been enriched by the harmonious amalgamation and assimilation of various faiths and ethnicities.

Mirza Sangi Baig in Sair-ul-Manazil narrates that the rollicking and frolicking Holi groups were alternately powdered and drenched till the floor had been covered with a swamp of crimson, yellow and orange colour, with the faces being multi- coloured, a spectacle very enthralling and exclusive.

“Who says Holi is a Hindu festival?” asks Munshi Zakaullah in his book Tarikh-e-Hindustani.

Zakaullah writes that the carnival of Holi lasted for days during the Mughal rule during which people, irrespective of religious or social distinctions, forgot their restraints. The poorest of the poor threw colour on the emperor.

Children’s Urdu monthly Khilona (March 1960) mentioned that during the days of Bahadur Shah Zafar, special arrangements were made for Holi festivities.

And Jam-e-Jahanuma, an Urdu newspaper (March 10, 1844), reported that on such occasions, both Hindus and Muslims joined hands.

(The above post is excerpted, with slight modifications, from different sites.)

^ From which website did you get that? Hindutva.com?

Please provide the links where you got the following information.

there's nothing unpositive about what he said
its the truth :coffee:

The claim was that Holi is Hinduism. That may be the basic truth, but I like to believe that there is more to it than that.
In any community, celebrations are disasters are always a community event. I am from Kerala and grew up in a Christian neighbourhood and I always ate Cake and put up a star on X'mas even though I am not a Xian. We'd play football in the Church grounds and then go inside the church to rest a while. Similarly I had a muslim flatmate, and eventhough I would'nt fast I'd always join him for the Ramzan dinner :-) The same goes when bad things happen -the community tends to come together.
It is sort of like Basant in Pakistan - while the celebration is nominally non-muslim (originally dedicated to Saraswati) it no longer is a pure Hindu festival in Pakistan if I were to judge by news reports. It is something similar with Holi in India - the Muslims may not really believe in the Hindu mythology but when has history ever gotten in the way of a good celebration?

The claim was that Holi is Hinduism. That may be the basic truth, but I like to believe that there is more to it than that.
In any community, celebrations are disasters are always a community event. I am from Kerala and grew up in a Christian neighbourhood and I always ate Cake and put up a star on X'mas even though I am not a Xian. We'd play football in the Church grounds and then go inside the church to rest a while. Similarly I had a muslim flatmate, and eventhough I would'nt fast I'd always join him for the Ramzan dinner :-) The same goes when bad things happen -the community tends to come together.
It is sort of like Basant in Pakistan - while the celebration is nominally non-muslim (originally dedicated to Saraswati) it no longer is a pure Hindu festival in Pakistan if I were to judge by news reports. It is something similar with Holi in India - the Muslims may not really believe in the Hindu mythology but when has history ever gotten in the way of a good celebration?

Like most of the hyderabadis including me never miss enjoying haleem:woot: during ramzan month.

What a joke. Muslim celebrating "holi" a Hindu festival.:disagree: Na'uzubillah Min Zalik. kuch Hindustani musalman tho gaya. Allah un e Hidayat aata kare, agar un mein ab tak kuch iman baki hai.:tsk:

Last edited:
What a joke. Muslim celebrating "holi" a Hindu festival.:disagree: Na'uzubillah Min Zalik. kuch hindusani musalman tho gaya. Allah un e Hidayat aata kare, agar un mein ab tak kuch iman baki hai.:tsk:

It was my belief that Islam prohibited worship of gods other than Allah and I have no complaints about that. I hope that you wouldn't see throwing colours and having a good time and socializing with your neighbours as something that robs one of belief or as a change in their belief in god. Islam, as is any good religion, is stronger than that - you can't lose your belief in your god just because you join your friends in their happiness.

Holi is Hinduism.

what gives you the right to decide others lives? even of other muslims. This is the problem with religious fundamentalism. Always eager to meddle/decide how others should live/behave/enjoy/dress/be friendly with etc.

you want to live exclusively in your corner so be it.but that no sufficient hun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom