What's new

Hindu reporter forced to drink from separate glass at workplace in Karachi

Such a shame. I haven't gone through any writings in religious scripture that bars you from eating and drinking with non muslims, such prejudice is ingrained in south asian society. We haven't gotten over "untouchable" issue yet.
The practice is deeply ingrained. This is against hindus but don't we have different steel glasses for our drivers, maids and guards. Its like they are not one of us, do not belong to the human category. Caste system is practiced in India but in Pakistan we have a special designation for the poor. It is unfortunate as the nation was formed to make all of us equal.

Absolutely disgusting. As for those that are saying this is not common, are you really sure about that? Or does that not happen among upper class to which you belong to because it certainly happens among the middle to lower classes. I went to school in Pakistan, where Christians and Hindus were absolutely not allowed to drink from the same glass. I remember no one would share their water thermos either with a Hindu girl, except my sister.

Disgusting hypocritical people, and a large number of people do it. No matter what people here say.

106580127.jpg

Never too late to decide

paper_cup.png

or bring your own cup to work

Central-Perk-Friends-mug-coffee-cup-custom-made-the-Writing-Logo.jpg

No one touches my cup don't care how close you are to devine power

You bring your own cup !!!
I don't like my cup taken from cupboard and then left dirty on the sink filled with tea or god knows tea bag or other crap what drink , not bothered to clean

Last edited:
Flu or not if I have an other utensil, wont drink from a glass even if my president has taken a sip from it Period.

Out of both fear of discrimination and to fit in many members of the Christian and Hindu minorities are known to have Muslim sounding names.
Sir that's not true,only the poor folks get discriminated in this country

Absolutely disgusting. As for those that are saying this is not common, are you really sure about that? Or does that not happen among upper class to which you belong to because it certainly happens among the middle to lower classes. I went to school in Pakistan, where Christians and Hindus were absolutely not allowed to drink from the same glass. I remember no one would share their water thermos either with a Hindu girl, except my sister.

Disgusting hypocritical people, and a large number of people do it. No matter what people here say.

This reminded me of southern Panjab .. Near KPT I saw this old train station in with 2 tankers "Hindu water" & "Muslim water"...

Muslim before 47 were considered by Hindus and even today in india as untouchables ..I've heard stories from old folks who witnessed the discrimination first hand..
But than again it's not as widespread in Pak as you are alleging ..

I went to APS.. We had Hindus,Christian class fellows and we never saw any discrimination...

There are Hindus soldiers,officers serving in the army .. Once our NCO actually asked a Hindu paramedic at CMH why he wasn't praying on Friday ..(the idiot didn't read his name plate)..:lol: the guy was rebuked by the medic...

The CO of my fathers regiment was a Christian ... Again nothing..

Our driver.servant etc eat the same food that's cooked and in the same utensils we use.

During univ I made my first Sikh friend from
Lahore ... I have Christian friends from school..

Infact in 9th grade I dated this really hot Christian girl (damn she was nice -- too "developed" for her age lol)...whose mother was a doctor at CMH ..:lol:

The list goes on.. So let's no paint the entire country like that.

Out of both fear of discrimination and to fit in many members of the Christian and Hindu minorities are known to have Muslim sounding names.

In Sindh upper caste Hindus discriminate against lower caste Hindus..

That is also why in western countries ppl love the disposable paper glass in workplace
That is why Western countries have produced a huge, disproportionate amount of garbage that we pollute the planet with. Everything in the West from water and coffee cups to razor blades is "disposable". :disagree:

Flu or not if I have an other utensil, wont drink from a glass even if my president has taken a sip from it Period.

Sir that's not true,only the poor folks get discriminated in this country
Only Hindus themselves can explain whether they are oppressed or treated well in the country. We do not know and ca only guess about the amount of discrimination. There is lesser discrimination among the upper and middle classes than the poor though I believe there does exist discrimination even in the middle classes. Only Hindus themselves can talk about the reality.

This reminded me of southern Panjab .. Near KPT I saw this old train station in with 2 tankers "Hindu water" & "Muslim water"...

Muslim before 47 were considered by Hindus and even today in india as untouchables ..I've heard stories from old folks who witnessed the discrimination first hand..

I went to APS.. We had Hindus,Christian class fellows and we never saw any discrimination...

There are Hindus soldiers,officers serving in the army .. Once our NCO actually asked a Hindu paramedic at CMH why he wasn't praying on Friday ..(the idiot didn't read his name plate)..:lol: the guy was rebuked by the medic...

Our driver.servant etc eat the same food that's cooked and in the same utensils we use.

Infact in 9th grade I dated this really hot Christian girl (damn she was nice -- too "developed" for her age lol)...whose mother was a doctor at CMH ..:lol:

That is true. But most discrimination comes from us muslims-sunni wahabis mostly. Let us note that issues like forced conversion, kidnappings for ransom, abuse of the blasphemy law remain common. This is not about patriotism. True patriotism is admitting the problems in your nation in search of a solution and end to those problems. I love Pakistan but when I see a developed Pakistan I see a secular equal Pakistan for all of us.

Only Hindus themselves can explain whether they are oppressed or treated well in the country. We do not know and ca only guess about the amount of discrimination. There is lesser discrimination among the upper and middle classes than the poor though I believe there does exist discrimination even in the middle classes. Only Hindus themselves can talk about the reality.

That is true. But most discrimination comes from us muslims-sunni wahabis mostly. Let us note that issues like forced conversion, kidnappings for ransom, abuse of the blasphemy law remain common. This is not about patriotism. True patriotism is admitting the problems in your nation in search of a solution and end to those problems. I love Pakistan but when I see a developed Pakistan I see a secular equal Pakistan for all of us.
Point taken,thanks

its wrong.. those who stopped him deserve suspension from Jobs..

Bro I don't disagree with you. I am certainly not painting the whole country like that, but facts are facts. I lived in a middle-lower class area. There was a large Christian and Hindu population, I went to school with them. I interacted with them every day. I also saw how people interacted with them.

It is not all doom and gloom, I agree, but it is definitely not as rosy as some of the posts are making it out to be. Among the lower sections of the society, the ignorance level is astounding. I only point it out because I want all Pakistanis to be united and treat each other with respect no matter the caste, religion, ethnicity etc. And this is why I am really happy to read from your experience that an equally large number of the populace is very accepting and tolerant, it certainly does show that things are improving, and I pray that pretty soon not even a single instance of such stupidity comes up.

KARACHI: A Hindu reporter was forced to drink water from a separate glass at his workplace since his colleagues found out that he belongs to the scheduled caste.

Everyone should drink from a separate glass and that is why paper cups are used...sharing of drinking glasses causes cross contamination by bacteria and may also cause accelerated tooth decay...this issue only became a headline because some moron decided to exploit the commercial benefit of minorities...

Everyone should have their own glass
The practice is deeply ingrained. This is against hindus but don't we have different steel glasses for our drivers, maids and guards. Its like they are not one of us, do not belong to the human category. Caste system is practiced in India but in Pakistan we have a special designation for the poor. It is unfortunate as the nation was formed to make all of us equal.
Basically rituals have taken forefront while the spirit of Islam is neglected by the majority. Virtues of equality, kindness, fairness, and humanity are rarely practiced. Many (not all) people perform hajj and umra so that they can use the title Hajji in bold letters on the nameplate.

I see nothing wrong with that if people don't want to share glass with someone. They shouldn't be forced to.

Back
Top Bottom