What's new

Himalayan Ibex Hunt in Pakistan with J Alain Smith

Only 4,000-5,000 animal left in wild if Pakistan does not protect wild life it will be just a barren mountain. Population should be 50,000 at least for Markhor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARKHOR CONSERVATION. 21) When GGT first wrote about the markhor back in 2011, the world's population was down to around 2,500 adults. In the disputed state of Jammu and Kashmir, the number was uncomfortably sitting around 400. The species was considered Endangered until 2015.

And I feel bad for killing a mouse.
I find them so cute that I couldn't kill them.
The small grey ones and how these people kill animals and birds is beyond me.
Even if animal is for eating it is fine if it is not kid raising season, but killing lions, elephants for trophy hunting is out of my understanding.

We live in country where our leaders ha ve been catching and selling our own citizens to the United States toh yeh beycharay toh animals hain. Not only is this unique ibex specie endangered but they are also the main food source for the snow leopard so you can imagine how damaging this must be.

We live in country where our leaders ha ve been catching and selling our own citizens to the United States toh yeh beycharay toh animals hain. Not only is this unique ibex specie endangered but they are also the main food source for the snow leopard so you can imagine how damaging this must be.
discussed multiple times..if you dont allow this, money will not go to communities, communities will hunt them to extinction within a week, this happened in 1980s, when markhor was almost extinct, today the population 3-4x and is growing at 12-15% a year..simply because local know that each markhor is worth 2 crore rupees for the community, and not even 1000rs in black market..communities also have to ensure the snow leopard survival becasue of this

discussed multiple times..if you dont allow this, money will not go to communities, communities will hunt them to extinction within a week, this happened in 1980s, when markhor was almost extinct, today the population 3-4x and is growing at 12-15% a year..simply because local know that each markhor is worth 2 crore rupees for the community, and not even 1000rs in black market..communities also have to ensure the snow leopard survival becasue of this

Yes. Perhaps there needs to be a a separate thread educating members here about the regulated hunting..

Yes. Perhaps there needs to be a a separate thread educating members here about the regulated hunting..

Not really, it's been discussed to death many times before.

I'll just reiterate it asap...."One old Markhoor/Ibex/Whatever animal killed for $100,000 or more (imo it should be more $$$, 100k is too less) is better than the local killing 10 young/middle aged ones. Half of the money gained from the killing of a old one can be given to the local community as basic income so that they don't hunt down the local animal population to extinction, the other half of the money can be used for conservation purposes, again the locals will be the ones doing most of the work so most of the money will go to them either way.

In a decade or two, the population of the animals to rebound to the max capacity area (like deers here in New Jersey, USA) and they'll need to be killed to keep them from overpopulating so the locals will get fresh meat year round (or half year round) depending on hunting regulations & the population still be kept "stable".

^That much sums up the opinion about hunting endangered species in Pakistan.

Last edited:
Tourism expands when people want to experience living animals , not dead animals
Humans may live for 2,000-5,000 more years may be more but once a Animal goes extinct
It is gone forever, and future generations can't see those animals as live specimen

Not really, it's been discussed to death many times before.

I'll just reiterate it asap...."One old Markhoor/Ibex/Whatever animal killed for $100,000 or more (imo it should be more $$$, 100k is too less) is better than the local killing 10 young/middle aged ones. Half of the money gained from the killing of a old one can be given to the local community as basic income so that they don't hunt down the local animal population to extinction, the other half of the money can be used for conservation purposes, again the locals will be the ones doing most of the work so most of the money will go to them either way.

In a decade or two, the population of the animals to rebound to the max capacity area (like deers here in New Jersey, USA) and they'll need to be killed to keep them from overpopulating so the locals will get fresh meat year round (or half year round) depending on hunting regulations & the population still be kept stable".

^That much sums up the opinion about hunting endangered species in Pakistan.
70% incomes goes to local population plus income for hiring locals for hunting trip..gives jobs to 10-20 people

Extinction? I think not. Perhaps we do need a dedicated pinned sticky thread otherwise we'll keep discussing this.
Ps I saw two deer in front of my house here in America this morning.. Id never hurt them even if they are too many of them now..

Killing beautiful animals like this to extinction is pathetic and criminal, and no amount of excuses and reasons for doing this justifies this sort of barbarism. Ibex species living in Himalayas is being slaughtered, and no one is doing anything.

This is truly shameful not just for Pakistan but also for this hunter.
Why not just track and observe these magnificent creatures. Why kill them stuff them and display them as a trophy.

Back
Top Bottom