What's new

High Cost of Taiwan Invasion Will Dissuade China, Pentagon Official Says

Nobody is asking Taiwan to chose the mainland political system.
Taiwan can keep its forever election political system.

First of all the world including United Nations already says Taiwan is part of China.
Second people on both sides already can travel freely without a passport.
Financially both sides already integrated.
Both sides can setup businesses either sides.

Not much really is needed to make Taiwan feel like a special provine like Hong Kong.

A peace treaty will be next. That will cut off US military links.
The US is ambiguous.
It never says TW is part of CN if I am not mistaken. It says it supports one China policy.
Can be the opposite: CN is part of TW.
A peace Treaty is unrealistic. Taiwan will certainly demand security assurance. Who will provide it?

It's more or less delusion to think Taiwan would accept Hong Kong style one country two system governance. It's not even 50 years, China already overtly abolished that system, Taiwanese weren't really exactly dumb you know?

On the other hand, it's even more delusional to think a "Peace Treaty" will cut off US military links to Taiwan......Whatever US do is whatever US do, as long as Taiwan - US relationship remain unchanged, nothing will be cut.

To be honestly, I don't really which is more delusional to believe......
Err no. Hong Kong's value to China is it's one country two systems.

Integration into the greater bay area and the northern metropolis project will bring future gdp growth to Hong Kong
If successful the one country two systems will be extended.

China do not need to invade Taiwan.
thats true. But that is also a different topic from whether China will actually invade Taiwan, and China will, in some time, if some conditions are met, or better yet, not met, like what you mentioned below- lack of that means invasion at a well timed moment for China and its military forces in the region.
All China needs is a peace treaty.

China will not attempt to invade Taiwan before the end of the decade because it understands the high cost, the senior Pentagon official in charge of Indo-Pacific security said Thursday.

“Deterrence is real; deterrence is strong” today and tomorrow, said Ely Ratner, the assistant secretary for the Indo-Pacific. The United States can likely deter Beijing from attacking the self-governing island 100 miles off the Chinese coast, he said.

Speaking at a Hudson Institute event Thursday, Ratner cited the administration’s position that the Peoples Republic of China “is the only country with the capability and intent to overthrow the international order.”

But in the past year, Washington, its allies and partners have built-up capabilities to “ensure that kind of coercion and bullying” – from threats of attack to interfering with transiting aircraft and shipping – doesn’t succeed, he said.

Ratner termed what’s happening regionally “as a breakthrough year for alliances and partnerships” in countering China’s military and territorial ambitions. He pointed to Japan’s decision to ramp up defense spending and work on counter-strike weapons, the agreement between the U.S. and the Philippines on establishing four new sites in the island republic for U.S. forces and the progress on the technology sharing agreement between Australia, the United Kingdom and the U.S.

He also cited the “new technology dialogue” with India that will lead to more co-development and co-production activities “that make our defense industrial bases more compatible.”

Ratner’s comments come after Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl testified before the House Armed Services Committee this week that he does not think China will attempt to invade Taiwan before 2027.

Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin also does not see an imminent Chinese threat to Taiwan, Pentagon Press Secretary Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder said Thursday during a press briefing.

Because of the threats from China and North Korea, the U.S. is increasing the number of exercises it conducts in the region. The Marine Corps’ Marine Littoral Regiment formation and the Navy’s distributed forces will be key to increasing regional security and cooperation, he said. Ratner also mentioned steps the U.S. Army has taken to update its mission in the Indo-Pacific and the Air Force’s search for dispersed bases for its operations.

In the near future, Rattner said “you’ll see more capability flowing into the region” from the United States and its allies and partners.

Lindsey Ford, deputy assistant secretary of defense for South and Southeast Asia, mentioned the Indo-Pacific Maritime Domain Awareness Initiative as a way to create a common operating picture for all participants as a starting point on new capabilities that benefit many nations.

Sparked by the May 2022 summit meeting between the leaders of the U.S., Japan, Australia and India, the initiative uses off the shelf hardware and software to provide real-time data from satellites, according to a White House fact sheet on the effort. This extends to ships that have turned off their Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) to hide their illegal fishing, smuggling or drugs and arms trafficking.

Ford said that through the initiative, real-time data on these activities can “be shared multilaterally,” not just by two nations.

“This is exactly the kind of work the Quad should be doing,” she said, referring to the informal security relationship between the U.S., Japan, Australia and India.

This initiative that is now underway in the waters of Southeast Asia and will soon expand to the Pacific Islands, Defense Daily reported last year.

The initiative gives countries that don’t want to be forced to make a choice between the United States and China “the space” to “decide their own interests and choices,” Ratner said.

When asked about the rising number of provocative incidents involving PLA aircraft and military aircraft from allies operating in international airspace, Ratner said, “they’re not picking a fight” to start a conflict. But, he added, “we will not be coerced and bullied” by these incidents. “We will sail, fly and operate” in international waters and air space.

“That is the message privately and publicly” to the Chinese government, Ratner added.

But when Beijing doesn’t want to hear the complaint, “they will turn off” all lines of communication “for an extended period of time,” as they did when the U.S. military show down China’s spy balloon off the South Carolina coast last month.

“This was a surveillance balloon, period. It was part of a broader fleet of capabilities that have flown over 40 countries and five continents,” Ratner said. Military and intelligence analysts are examining the salvage remnants.

“We think [turning off communications after an incident] is destabilizing and dangerous,” he added.

Using another tactic to deflect responsibility, Ford said the Chinese often decry incidents like Philippine fishermen discovering rocket debris in Philippine territorial water as “fake news.”

In response to North Korea’s escalating missile tests, Ratner said the U.S. and South Korea are working more closely together and exercising together so Seoul “will know what our thinking would be” if there is an attack.

“We’re focused on readiness.” That way, “you do [deterrence] with a sense of confidence,” he said.

China Loses Workforce Almost Size of Germany’s in Three Years​

China’s number of working people has fallen by more than 41 million in the past three years, reflecting both the coronavirus pandemic’s toll on the economy and a decline in the working age population.

Some 733.5 million Chinese people were employed in 2022, according to the country’s statistics bureau. That’s down from 774.7 million in 2019. The data reflects a rapid rise in the number of people retiring, likely raising pressure on Beijing to accelerate unpopular plans to raise official retirement ages.

The number of people in China aged between 16 and 59 has been gradually declining since 2012. Over the last three years, the number in that group dropped 38 million to 857.6 million — a much more rapid fall than in previous years.

Demographic change was the “driving factor” in 2022’s employment drop, said Lu Feng, a labor economist at Peking University, as the population reaching the age of 60, a common retirement age in China, “increased dramatically.”

China is pretty much done. Age structure projections for China up to 2100

1024px-China_population_pyramid_from_2023_to_2100.gif

China's age structure ouchea looking like Johnny Bravo's body structure lol

b05c76c365015040d46e25f83693c1b4.png

@beijingwalker :rofl:

Last edited:
Err no. Hong Kong's value to China is it's one country two systems.

Integration into the greater bay area and the northern metropolis project will bring future gdp growth to Hong Kong
If successful the one country two systems will be extended.
uh.no. Chinese stooges in HK value one country two system, EVERYONE else see that as a failure. The UK, The US, Hong Konger themselves (I know A LOT, like A LOT see one country two system as a failure) especially Taiwanese see One Country Two System is a failure

HK GDP had been wipe out due to COVID, the reserve went from about 500 billion down to 440 billion since the National Security Law in effect late 2020.

You have to be either blind or stupid or both to think it done well with Hong Kong

The US will intervene if China makes the first move. If Xi can take over TW in 3 days then it will be a cheap war with discount. But you never know how a war ends when started.
China always take war much more seriously than U.S if you know a little 孙子。

It's more or less delusion to think Taiwan would accept Hong Kong style one country two system governance. It's not even 50 years, China already overtly abolished that system, Taiwanese weren't really exactly dumb you know?

On the other hand, it's even more delusional to think a "Peace Treaty" will cut off US military links to Taiwan......Whatever US do is whatever US do, as long as Taiwan - US relationship remain unchanged, nothing will be cut.

To be honestly, I don't really which is more delusional to believe......
My question is. Will Australia use its strong military power to protect Taiwan Province?

uh.no. Chinese stooges in HK value one country two system, EVERYONE else see that as a failure. The UK, The US, Hong Konger themselves (I know A LOT, like A LOT see one country two system as a failure) especially Taiwanese see One Country Two System is a failure

HK GDP had been wipe out due to COVID, the reserve went from about 500 billion down to 440 billion since the National Security Law in effect late 2020.

You have to be either blind or stupid or both to think it done well with Hong Kong
And Macao? Do you know Macao?Macao's one country, two systems does not meet your "propaganda standards"?the Hong Kong issue is because the West supports Hong Kong's illegal independence. Not because of one country, two systems. okay?

Your excuses are as deceptive and misleading as ever. isn't it?

Last edited:
China will not attack Taiwan. There will be encroachment with India basically to undermine and humiliate India. China has more to gain from this than attacking Taiwan. China will not give a walk over to India as counterbalance as hoped by the west.

Last edited:
China will not attack Taiwan. There will be encroachment with India basically to undermine and humiliate India. China has more to gain from this than attacking Taiwan. China will not give a walk over to India as counterbalance as hoped by the west.

If USA can help Ukraine slap Russia like a bitch America can help India do the same against China
China and India are a little too smart and level headed to allow that

Mmmm. :wacko: You pick one economic indicator, foreign reserve and some people and doom the one country two system.

I am not an economist. So it drop 60 billion to 440billion.
For a small economic like Hong Kong, 440billion is still higher than UK or even United States !

Not sure where you got your news but if you have check the latest figures it even shows Hong Kong foreign reserve since Oct last year is trending upwards.

If USA can help Ukraine slap Russia like a bitch America can help India do the same against China
China and India are a little too smart and level headed to allow that
India has already been bitch slapped by China but Modi said that no land was taken so no land was taken. There are very examples of political expediency as this in history. Secondly, what is happening in Ukraine is not a good example of “helping” a country. The West is like Romans watching the Christians thrown being thrown to the lions in the colosseum.

Last edited:
Mmmm. :wacko: You pick one economic indicator, foreign reserve and some people and doom the one country two system.

I am not an economist. So it drop 60 billion to 440billion.
For a small economic like Hong Kong, 440billion is still higher than UK or even United States !

Not sure where you got your news but if you have check the latest figures it even shows Hong Kong foreign reserve since Oct last year is trending upwards.
First of all, Forex denote economic health of a country, it's basically the nest egg one country (in this case a city) has, it's like your saving, you don't dip into your saving unless you are having financial troubles.

It does not compare to other countries just like your saving. Because that's reflected independent monetary policy. Again, like saving you have, it does not reflect how much you earn, I earn 85k AUD a year in 2020 (About 400,000 HKD a year) I virtually have no saving (My bank account usually only have 5000 AUD in it ( 30,000 HKD) for bills, same as my wife, she earn 120,000 AUD a year pre-tax, (That's around 600,000 HKD a year) she has no saving account at all. You probably have more than 30,000 HKD saving in your bank, that does not mean you earn more than I do or my wife. But it does reflect on your financial health.

Second if you look at Hong Kong economic data by other parameters as well.

How about unemployment rate? From Pre-1997 less than 2.5% to 2003 7.8 and currently 5.3%

How about Hong Kong GDP Growth? There were no negative growth since 1960 until 1997 in the 37 years (even after 1968 financial crisis) there were 4 negtive growth in the 26 since Chinese took over (1998, 2009, 2019, 2020)

And since when is trending upward since Oct does not mean the forex loss is not real, it just whatever problem you are facing is coming back to normal. That does not mean that crisis did not happened.

Last edited:
First of all, Forex denote economic health of a country, it's basically the nest egg one country (in this case a city) has, it's like your saving, you don't dip into your saving unless you are having financial troubles.

It does not compare to other countries just like your saving. Because that's reflected independent monetary policy. Again, like saving you have, it does not reflect how much you earn, I earn 85k AUD a year in 2020 (About 400,000 HKD a year) I virtually have no saving (My bank account usually only have 5000 AUD in it ( 30,000 HKD) for bills, same as my wife, she earn 120,000 AUD a year pre-tax, (That's around 600,000 HKD a year) she has no saving account at all. You probably have more than 30,000 HKD saving in your bank, that does not mean you earn more than I do or my wife. But it does reflect on your financial health.

Second if you look at Hong Kong economic data by other parameters as well.

How about unemployment rate? From Pre-1997 less than 2.5% to 2003 7.8 and currently 5.3%

How about Hong Kong GDP Growth? There were no negative growth since 1960 until 1997 in the 37 years (even after 1968 financial crisis) there were 4 negtive growth in the 26 since Chinese took over (1998, 2009, 2019, 2020)

And since when is trending upward since Oct does not mean the forex loss is not real, it just whatever problem you are facing is coming back to normal. That does not mean that crisis did not happened.
I may not be an economist. Foreign reserve is important but not the most important. Its the effect of trade.

To gauge the Heath of a country, you first check it's current account.
Hong Kong current account is positive.

Hong Kong’s current account surplus widened to HKD 115.8 billion in the third quarter of 2022, from HKD 91 billion in the same period a year earlier. It was the largest surplus on record,​

So Hong Kong is racking in billions under one country two systems.

The next economic indicator would be the fiscal account which is the budget.
Yes its negative now due to the pandemic. But it is predicted to rebound.

Hong Kong is very healthy. So heathy its giving money in the thousands of usd to its citizens and I am sure including you even if you do not live in Hong Kong.

Oh another economic indicator GDP per capital.
Hong Kong gdp per capital is hitting $50,000. And oh it's higher that its colonial master, United Kingdom.

And it happened under the one country two systems too. :enjoy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom