What's new

Here comes Astra MK-1 , MK-2 is just around the corner says DRDO

astra_su30mki2.jpg

Interesting to see that DRDO calls Astra 44km at some places and 80km at other. Regardless, if Mk-II can achieve 100km at similar altitude as MK-I achieve 44 then how much would it do at 80km altitude:woot:

astra_su30mki2.jpg

Interesting to see that DRDO calls Astra 44km at some places and 80km at other. Regardless, if Mk-II can achieve 100km at similar altitude as MK-I achieve 44 then how much would it do at 80km altitude:woot:

80 KM is out of atmosphere where astra can not go.
For MK1
21 KM at sea level
44 KM at 8000 meter
100 KM at higher altitude

However astra did 60 KM plus in its first flight at 6500 meter height. This means range is much greater than what is declared.

For MK1
21 KM at sea level
44 KM at 8000 meter

However astra did 60 KM plus in its first flight at 6500 meter height. This means range is much greater than what is declared.
:omghaha:

o_O
80 km altitude aka SL-20. I was talking about the altitude at which Astra achieves 80 km which is 20km above Sea Level.

This is beyond any IAF fighter IMHO.

How 80 km altitude aka SL-20. ?

Astra was released from MKI at an altitude of 15 KM. It went upto 25 KM and dived i=on the target.

Astra was released from MKI at an altitude of 15 KM. It went upto 25 KM and dived i=on the target.

You didnot comprehend it correctly @HariPrasad

What @Narendra Damodar Modi is saying is that ,

At X altitude , range of mk1 = 44km , mk2 = 100km

At Y altitude , range of mk1 = 80 km , then mk2 will have a far greater range at this altitude .

Last edited:

:crazy:
80 Km is the range acheived at altitude SL-20. Read the original sentence slowly.

:crazy:
80 Km is the range acheived at altitude SL-20. Read the original sentence slowly.

You are utterly confused between the range and altitude.

You didnot comprehend it correctly @HariPrasad

What @Narendra Damodar Modi is saying is that ,

At X altitude , range of mk1 = 44km , mk2 = 100km

At Y altitude , range of mk1 = 80 km , then mk2 will have a far greater range at this altitude .

That is what I wrote in my post. see
For MK1
21 KM at sea level
44 KM at 8000 meter

And look here he uses word 80 KM altitude.
80 km altitude aka SL-20. I was talking about the altitude at which Astra achieves 80 km which is 20km above Sea Level.

OK , brother .

These are the current specs of Astra mk1 ..... ( not official I guess )

untitled-jpg.230536
Specs are confusing
The all-weather, state-of-the-art missile developed by DRDO can engage and destroy enemy aircraft at supersonic speed ( 1.2 Mach to 1.4 Mach) in head-on (up to 80 km) and tail-chase (up to 20 km) modes.

The 3.8 metre tall Astra is the smallest of the DRDO-developed missiles and can be launched from different altitudes.
It can reach up to 110 km when fired from an altitude of 15 km, 44 km when launched from an altitude of eight km and 21 km when fired from sea level.
Official DRDO poster says 80km with a service ceiling of 20km. What to believe?

Specs are confusing

Official DRDO poster says 80km with a service ceiling of 20km. What to believe?

DRDO posters always showed the 80km range but their press releases never quoted any range .

It was some newspapers which came up with the 110km range .

So we will have to wait for some official confirmation to know the true range .

Back
Top Bottom