Should I go outside the Airport to visit Mazar-e-Quaid

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
OK basically I am travelling to Pakistan next Friday (reaching on Saturday). I could not find direct flight to Lahore or Islamabad as I noticed most of the flights going to Pakistan these days are via Karachi. The least number of hours showing were 17 hours so I chose that option which leaves me about 5-6 hours to spare in Karachi.

Since childhood I had a desire of visiting Karachi one day but due to security reasons I have never done so. Most of my family members has seen Karachi and they would be crazy on me if I told them I will be leaving Karachi airport for couple of hours as I want to pay a visit to Mazar-e-Quaid to thank him for the service he has done for this beautiful nation.

I have three prime concerns,

1) Despite being a Pakistani, how safe is it going to be to leave Karachi Airport on my own and visit Mazar-e-Quaid?

2) How far is it from Karachi Airport and what is the best way to get there?

3) Roughly how much it costs as I may not be carrying Pakistani currency except few notes left in my pocket when I travelled last time couple of months ago.

I am not interested in visiting any other place on my own as I plan to come back to Karachi with family in future so what advice do you give and do you recommend for me to do that or stay in the airport instead?

The other reason I am asking is the tensed political situation in Karachi these days so it may not be wise to travel under these conditions (though I am happy that major criminal activities such as target killing has reduced)

OK basically I am travelling to Pakistan next Friday (reaching on Saturday). I could not find direct flight to Lahore or Islamabad as I noticed most of the flights going to Pakistan these days are via Karachi. The least number of hours showing were 17 hours so I chose that option which leaves me about 5-6 hours to spare in Karachi.

Since childhood I had a desire of visiting Karachi one day but due to security reasons I have never done so. Most of my family members has seen Karachi and they would be crazy on me if I told them I will be leaving Karachi airport for couple of hours as I want to pay a visit to Mazar-e-Quaid to thank him for the service he has done for this beautiful nation.

1) Despite being a Pakistani, how safe is it going to be to leave Karachi Airport on my own and visit Mazar-e-Quaid?

3) Roughly how much it costs as I may not be carrying Pakistani currency except few notes left in my pocket when I travelled last time couple of months ago.

I am not interested in visiting any other place on my own as I plan to come back to Karachi with family in future so what advice do you give and do you recommend for me to do that or stay in the airport instead?

The other reason I am asking is the tensed political situation in Karachi these days so it may not be wise to travel under these conditions (though I am happy that major criminal activities such as target killing has reduced)
1) Very safe
2) Distance is around 17KM use maps app in ur mobile
3) taxi will take 300-400 rupee=$4 for one side
Be confident and act like u know the way to avoid thuggery. Do bargain with taxi wala and set fare before leaving. Mazar e Quaid is at Shara-e-Quaideen (name of road)

If u have PM here share ur number I'll guide u ur way!

It will be fine. Street crimes are on the rise these days, one in a hundred gets confronted with one. Divide your belongings into 2 pockets, with the more important ones being in the pocket away from the window, also keep at least 1000rupees in pocket with less valuables. I'm not trying to scare you, just some advice/precaution.

Half an hour. From the airport take to Sharah E Faisal, then through Sindhi Muslim Round about take to Sharah E quaideen, on which you will encounter an underpass. Go thorugh it, take the next U turn and you'll arrive at the Quaid's Mazar.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you'll take. Rickshaw - Rs.250-300, Metro Cab - ~Rs.700

As soon as you go out the airport go to the metro cab reception box. Book a taxi. You can call 111 222 787 to get the rates before hand. Make sure you explain to them that you will visit the mazaar and back to the airport in whatever amount of time you plan. The cost of getting into the mazaar is 20Rs, maybe its not 40Rs or 50Rs. Not more than that. Take a small bottle of water and some chips. I do not know what security issue you have in mind but there was never a problem on that route. Its safe as it is anywhere in Lahore inside the mazaar. Have been passing by it for the past few days due to some work. Its a pretty straight forward 30 min drive without traffic from the airport. 50mins+ in traffic.

@forcetrip offered the best advice. Metrocabs are much safer and the driver should be aware that you will be returning in the same cab. Do not pay when you stop, pay when you get back.

@Aether Best thing for you to do is take one of the Radio cabs - White cab or Metro. I personally prefer White Cab.

They used to have this package where you could rent them for Rs.1800 for about 8 hrs. The rates must have gone up by now.

Secondly, despite the atrocious rates there is a money changer / exchange kiosk where you can get local currency. Other option is getting PKR from an exchange before you fly, or if you are transiting in Dubai / Abu Dhabi.

Third, was there recently for Eid. Alhumdullilah situation is much better but hiring a gunman like @dexter or @rockstar08 would help as well :p: (Just kidding).

Enjoy yourself and post a few pics if you can!

Do not take any other form of transport. You do not sound like an adventurous type of person. Leave the haggling with taxi drivers to the rest of us.

@Aether Best thing for you to do is take one of the Radio cabs - White cab or Metro. I personally prefer White Cab.

They used to have this package where you could rent them for Rs.1800 for about 8 hrs. The rates must have gone up by now.

Secondly, despite the atrocious rates there is a money changer / exchange kiosk where you can get local currency. Other option is getting PKR from an exchange before you fly, or if you are transiting in Dubai / Abu Dhabi.

Third, was there recently for Eid. Alhumdullilah situation is much better but hiring a gunman like @dexter or @rockstar08 would help as well :p: (Just kidding).

Enjoy yourself and post a few pics if you can!

indeed Karachi is more peaceful now , people are actually feeling the change .. including me
having a gun men with you is more dangerous these days :P
i think travel as a nobody will grant you more safety :D

Totally safe
Fircetrip has given sound advice get metro or whitecab from airport and write down in their register where you going , they keep track of their drivers .
If you,ve got a few hours I'd say go for it . I'm a foodie so would recomend burns road ie only 10 mnt from mazar . Karachi food is good for briani and haleem . Sabir nehari is close by at jamia cloth which I love .
Had my brother from uk visiting a few months back . He was terrified but later enjoyed karachi quite a bit . Just local cousine be it pakistan chowk or burns road
I would say no need to worry . If I was in karachi would have offered to pick you up and drop off but right now visting relatives in lahore , so sorry

@Aether as you are arriving from overseas situation is Karachi is better nowadays however street crime is still going so you have to be careful specially keep your mobile inside your pocket in public places.
as @waleed3601 and @forcetrip has told you all taking shahrae Faisal route is the safest but there is another route from Rashid minhas road but there is a lot of traffic jam there.
In between shahre Faisal at Nersury there is branch of Karachi biryani i prefer you should give it a try.

@Aether transiting through Karachi - I would suggest you avoid all food if possible, and water wise stick to Nestle, Aquafina and Kinley from reputable shops / Airport.

The last thing you need is an upset stomach while travelling.

@maxpayne @waleed3601 @forcetrip @RazorMC @Indus Falcon @rockstar08 @kamrananvaar @dexter

Thank you very much for your useful posts, suggestions and advice,

Seems like visiting Mazar-e-Quaid is on the card. I like the idea of renting a taxi from the Airport and coming back on the same taxi. I think it will be the most convenient option to travel to and back from the Mazar-e-Quaid.

I think I would have around 3000 - 5000 rupees in my pocket as I haven't counted yet and it should be enough to travel and back to the Airport with snacks as recommended in above post. I think it would be better to travel in Salwar Kameez to avoid any unusual eye and I am fully aware that many people wear suit or jeans everyday in Karachi so it is nothing more than a safety precaution.

I can pretend to have come from Saudia :D --- to be more friendly :D

**** an actress for me how abt Ayesha Umer? She lives there.:lol:

@maxpayne @waleed3601 @forcetrip @RazorMC @Indus Falcon @rockstar08 @kamrananvaar @dexter

Thank you very much for your useful posts, suggestions and advice,

Seems like visiting Mazar-e-Quaid is on the card. I like the idea of renting a taxi from the Airport and coming back on the same taxi. I think it will be the most convenient way to travel to and back from the Mazar-e-Quaid.

I think I would have around 3000 - 5000 rupees in my pocket as I haven't counted yet and it should be enough to travel and back home with snacks as recommended in above post. I think it would be better to travel in Salwar Kameez to avoid any unusual eye and I am fully aware that many people wear suit or jeans everyday in Karachi so it is nothing more than a safety precaution.

I can pretend to have come fro Saudia :D --- to be more friendly :D

Just don't speak gora urdu, like "Loo kidhar hai?"

Do not take any other form of transport. You do not sound like an adventurous type of person. Leave the haggling with taxi drivers to the rest of us.
As soon as you go out the airport go to the metro cab reception box. Book a taxi. You can call 111 222 787 to get the rates before hand. Make sure you explain to them that you will visit the mazaar and back to the airport in whatever amount of time you plan. The cost of getting into the mazaar is 20Rs, maybe its not 40Rs or 50Rs. Not more than that. Take a small bottle of water and some chips. I do not know what security issue you have in mind but there was never a problem on that route. Its safe as it is anywhere in Lahore inside the mazaar. Have been passing by it for the past few days due to some work. Its a pretty straight forward 30 min drive without traffic from the airport. 50mins+ in traffic.

This is what I am gonnai do Insha'Allah...

Will book the taxi from the Airport so that I can get a reliable get driver... I think my luggage will be booked for Lahore so I would be empty handed anyway... I don't plan to carry too much luggage anyway so there is nothing to worry about it. All I will be doing is, rent a taxi as recommended by you and back from the Mazar.

Do you recommend anything else in the meanwhile? May be if something/another attraction is coming on the way back and forth? I wanted to visited that famous Mosque in Karachi but then I don't really intend to go around too much in this short time of 5 hours

Just don't speak gora urdu, like "Loo kidhar hai?"
Don't worry mate, my accent is clean

I was brought up in Pakistan and studied up to Class 7 before moving to UK.

Back
Top Bottom