What's new

Headley: ISI had no links to 26/11

I don't understand if ISI men are involved in it how is ISI as an organisation not involved? Are you saying ISI has no control over its men? Obviously ISI, Army, Political leadership are divided in Pakistan. They don't have a common goal.

When we say ISI is involved, we are actually talking of those people in the organisation who are bent on exporting the terrorism to other states. Its becoming an old habit for Pakistan as a state to blame everything on non state actors. They are your freaking people for god's sake. Control them or let others do it for you..damn..

Is David Coleman Headley telling the truth?

WASHINGTON: As Pakistani-American David Coleman Headley returns to the stand Tuesday to testify in a high-stakes terrorism trial in connection with the 2008 Mumbai attacks , questions are being raised about his credibility.

The question whether Headley aka Daood Gilani , Washington-born son of a Pakistani father and an American mother is telling the truth will hover over the Chicago trial of his one-time friend Pakistani Canadian Tahawwur Rana .

In an investigative report published in association with PBS Frontline Tuesday, ProPublica, an investigative news site, said by his own admission Headley has credibility problems.

"He is a former heroin addict and drug smuggler. He has juggled allegiances to the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration), the Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist group, Al Qaeda and Pakistani intelligence" agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), it noted.

But noting that the Federal Bureau of Investigation ( FBI )) had compared his story to the results of investigations in India , Pakistan, Denmark, Britain and elsewhere, ProPublica said as a result, the case unfolding in Chicago consists of far more than Headley's word.

Headley's most eagerly awaited testimony involves ISI and centres on a shadowy figure known as Major Iqbal, who Headley says was the ISI handler who trained, directed and funded him, though he admits he does not know Iqbal's real name.

Some question whether Iqbal really exists. But US prosecutors are so convinced that Major Iqbal is real that last month they took the diplomatically explosive step of indicting him, the investigative report noted.

The trial has featured phone evidence, including a number Iqbal obtained with a New York area code to disguise his calls from Pakistan to India.

Iqbal was also not Headley's only point of contact with the spy agency. Headley has described meeting several other high-ranking officers, it noted.

Experts cited by ProPublica say Headley's tradecraft as a reconnaissance operative suggests that he did, in fact, have professional training.

"The meticulous advance work and tactical sophistication of the Mumbai plot far exceeded the majority of operations by Al Qaeda and other groups working without state support," it said.

But in the end, the impression Headley makes on the stand could determine whether the jury convicts Rana -- "and whether Americans who are following the trial believe Pakistani intelligence officers took part in a plot to kill Americans," ProPublica said.

What surprises me here is the wide disconnect between Pakistani population's views and their govt's stand ..here dawn news is reporting that Pakistan has accepted that rouge ISI agents were involved in Mumbai.
" However, Headley’s testimony supports Pakistan’s assertion that the ISI’s involvement was limited to a handful of rogue agents."

Pakistan ISI leaders had no role in Mumbai plot: court | World | DAWN.COM

However in another thread Pakistani posters are arguing that Ajmal Kasab's accent does not sound Pakistani enough.

Till now headly was rubbished by pakistan and now suddenly his statements have been looked at very closely ....:what:

I don't understand if ISI men are involved in it how is ISI as an organisation not involved? Are you saying ISI has no control over its men? Obviously ISI, Army, Political leadership are divided in Pakistan. They don't have a common goal.

When we say ISI is involved, we are actually talking of those people in the organisation who are bent on exporting the terrorism to other states. Its becoming an old habit for Pakistan as a state to blame everything on non state actors. They are your freaking people for god's sake. Control them or let others do it for you..damn..

Chill down mate.. hold your horses.. At the moment only ISI as an organization has been excluded from involvement.. we still don't know if there were "rogue" elements.. as it stands, you guy headley has some "credibility" problems.. he cannot even tell his allegiances whether it was with DEA, LeT, AQ or ISI.. read the article i have posted..

Courts work on "credibility" of evidences and "credibility" of the person providing them.. seems like in this case both of them have serious credibility issues..

Just my two cents..

Obviously, someone gave in "evidence" from India that the ISI was involved. It's not like the United States is completely running this case on Rana's and Headleys statements. Thats not even plausible.

EDIT: finding the link for you

Its the murder trial of 6 American nationals.. Based on the confessions of Headley after he was caught basis FBI investigations. Currently the roles Indians have here is of enjoying popcorn ;)

Till now headly was rubbished by pakistan and now suddenly his statements have been looked at very closely ....:what:

NOPE! he is still being rubbished.. not only by Pakistanis, but also by the US COURT itself.. i think you need to read the articles again

Chill down mate.. hold your horses.. At the moment only ISI as an organization has been excluded from involvement.. we still don't know if there were "rogue" elements.. as it stands, you guy headley has some "credibility" problems.. he cannot even tell his allegiances whether it was with DEA, LeT, AQ or ISI.. read the article i have posted..

Courts work on "credibility" of evidences and "credibility" of the person providing them.. seems like in this case both of them have serious credibility issues..

Just my two cents..

Agree, but ISI as an organization has NOT been excluded yet.. There is no court ruling yet. The papers are simply reporting what Headley said in response to a question.

What surprises me here is the wide disconnect between Pakistani population's views and their govt's stand ..here dawn news is reporting that Pakistan has accepted that rouge ISI agents were involved in Mumbai.

However in another thread Pakistani posters are arguing that Ajmal Kasab's accent does not sound Pakistani enough.

and your point is??

Just my two cents..

Ok for a moment lets keep Headly's statement aside..atleast this much has been accepted by your own govt (as shown in previous post) that ISI agents were involved in planning out the attack..but they choose to call them call them rogue ..and why would not they, afterall plausible deniability is their only defence.

Agree, but ISI as an organization has NOT been excluded yet.. There is no court ruling yet. The papers are simply reporting what Headley said in response to a question.

These are the exact words of headley taken from the Dawn.com source

“The colonel might have known and someone in the group might have known,” Headley testified.

"Might have" is not good enough for any court in the world.. along with this.. any tom, dick, harry could have spoken with Headley, posing himself as Major Iqbal of ISI.. did he saw any ID? or did he confirmed?

Sorry mate! as i have said numerous times before.. courts work on "hard evidences".. not "word of mouth"..

Just my two cents..

Credibility ha? Why are you all Pakistanis joyous then? Aren't we talking of same 'Headly' here? Are there two different witnesses here? If this is seen as truth then all other things that he said before must be true as well. Don't you think?

Yet court hasn't given a ruling yet. They are still going to cross examine him. He said he didn't know if leadership of ISI is involved according to him. How can he be sure? Obviously ISI wouldn't want its entire organisation to be involved when they are plotting this. Any layman could understand that. Anyways let the verdict come out. I personally don't care if ISI is labelled terrorist organisation. It is already perceived as such in almost all countries.

And its that suspicion that made PA now start an operation in NW ?? The stick wielded by Clinton and Mullen behind the doors in Islamabad wasnt visible to the normal public, but the reaction certainly is..

man.pakistan had made up their mind about NW some time ago.....and for your info....hillary was given a complete cold shoulder by the pakistanis and she wasnt really serviced as much as usual or given really alot of attention or the 'umph' as she was given before.

and your point is??

Is it not clear..let me repeat it in plain English then.

Your govt , army , ISI have all accepted that Ajmal Kassab is a Pakistani ..Mumbai attack was planned and carried out from Pakistan and ISI agents(rogue) were involved in planning of the attack.

But Pakistani public(you guys ) still try to come up with new conspiracy theories ever other day trying to proove the attack was carried by Indians themselves and Kasab is not a Pakistani but an India and a Hindu.

Don't you see the contradiction here?

Ok for a moment lets keep Headly's statement aside..atleast this much has been accepted by your own govt (as shown in previous post) that ISI agents were involved in planning out the attack..but they choose to call them call them rogue ..and why would not they, afterall plausible deniability is their only defence.

I would rather you to not go there.. cuz then i will ask for credible source..

Back
Top Bottom