What's new

Happy diwali !

Preparing for the Festival of Lights

Indians throughout the country are preparing to celebrate Diwali festival of lights that marks the victory of good over evil and light over darkness. Diwali falls on Friday, Nov 5.–AP & AFP Photos

diwali-prep1.jpg

An Indian potter makes earthenware oil pots or 'diyas' at his workshop in New Delhi prior to the Diwali Festival. Diyas, which are lit and placed around the home, are in heavy demand during the festival.

diwali-prep2.jpg

Cooks make traditional sweets ahead of the festival, in Jammu. Thousands of tons of sugary treats known as “mithai” are prepared every year on Diwali.

diwali-prep3.jpg

A child plays with sparklers during a pre-Diwali celebration at a school in Amritsar.

diwali-prep4.jpg

A school boy makes a sketch of President Barack Obama as another holds his family photograph at the Holy Name school in Mumbai. Students of this school are gearing up to celebrate Diwali festival with President Obama during his visit later this week.

diwali-prep5.jpg

A woman, Gurdeep Kaur 80 years old, strings marigold flowers together to make garlands for the upcoming festival of lights, in Armitsar. Flowers and decorative items are in high demand ahead of the festival.

diwali-prep6.jpg

A wayside vendor selling earthen lamps and decorative material waits for customers in Allahabad.

diwali-prep7.jpg

An Indian woman selects gold rings on the eve of Dhanteras, in Allahabad.

happy diwali from:pdf:to our indian members of the hindu religion:cheers:

That's because we believe that life is a celebration.

BTW, most celebrated festivals which are celebrated throughout India are:

- Holi
- Durga puja
- Diwali/Deepawali
- Eid
- Christmas

Holi isn't even celebrated down here in the south. Barely known. India is too diverse. And I could add a dozen festivals to that list.

Happy Diwali!

Diwali celebrations in Pakistan

Diwali, the festival of lights, is celebrated with jubilation and enthusiasm as one of the biggest Hindu festivals. Hindus living in Pakistan are celebrating Diwali by decorating their homes with flowers, rangolis, lights and diyas.

1.jpg

A woman lights earthern lamps next to Hindu Goddess to celebrate the festival of lights 'Diwali', at her home in Lahore, Pakistan.–AP Photo

2i.jpg

Members of Pakistani Hindu community lit candles as they pay homage to the martyrs of Operation Janbaz, on the eve of Hindu religious festival ‘Diwali’, in Rawalpindi.

3.jpg

Girls prepare a rangoli during a ceremony to celebrate Diwali in Karachi.–APP Photo

4.jpg

Hindus celebrate Diwali, the annual festival of lights, during a ceremony held in Karachi.–PPI Photo

5.jpg

Pakistani Hindu women light earthen lamps on the occasion of Diwali in Lahore.–AFP Photo

6.jpg

A person cleaning inside the temple during the Hindu festival Diwali preparations, in Hyderabad.–APP Photo

7i.jpg

Pakistani Hindu devotees light fireworks in celebration of Diwali in Karachi.–AFP Photo

8.jpg

A lady busy with her religious rituals during the Diwali celebrations in Multan.–APP Photo

9.jpg

Members of Pakistani Hindu community pay homage to the martyrs of Operation Janbaz, on the eve of ‘Diwali’ in Rawalpindi.–APP Photo

10.jpg

Children purchase fireworks from a stall, on the eve of ‘Diwali’, in Hyderabad.

11.jpg

Children busy in their religious rituals at a temple, during Diwali celebrations in Hyderabad.–APP Photo

12.jpg

Children play with fireworks as they celebrate Diwali at Sawami Narain Mandir in Karachi.–APP Photo

Happy belated Diwali everyone!

21wztd.png

I was on a business trip and I missed it back home :(
Hope you all had a great time though!

And before anyone says anything.. Hinduism does support atheism/agnosticism

Love from FL

In first thanks to all and wish you the same to all of you. How you celebrate this festival? share your ways and enjoy to know other celebrating ways as well.
Lets start form me. In the morning to evening we go to the temple and other holy places and then in evening we so durga pooja, kids celebrate by burning the Diwali patakhne etc, We burn the candles and deepak around the roof and house, inside the house, send gifts and sweets to our relative, friends and family members.

In first thanks to all and wish you the same to all of you. How you celebrate this festival? share your ways and enjoy to know other celebrating ways as well.
Lets start form me. In the morning to evening we go to the temple and other holy places and then in evening we so durga pooja, kids celebrate by burning the Diwali patakhne etc, We burn the candles and deepak around the roof and house, inside the house, send gifts and sweets to our relative, friends and family members.
You realize you reactivated a 3 yr old thread.

Back
Top Bottom