What's new

Happy diwali !

:-D happy diwali though I am atheist and believe in one eternal power still I believe that these festivals bring people together...

Have fun have a safe and joyful diwali

How are you an atheist if you believe in one eternal power? Hinduism too believes in one eternal 'Nirakar Brahm'. One formless, timeless Superior Almighty being. This One God has three forms - Brahma the Creator, Vishnu, the Sustainer and Shiva, the Destroyer. What is created has to be destroyed so that it can be reborn. This is the Hindu Trinity. We don't have 'Crores of Gods', as some would like to say. We have ONE GOD who manifests Himself in crores of forms.

Happy diwali to all my fellow Indians.

firecracker.gif
firecracker.gif
firecracker.gif
firecracker.gif
firecracker.gif
firecracker.gif
firecracker.gif
firecracker.gif

How are you an atheist if you believe in one eternal power? Hinduism too believes in one eternal 'Nirakar Brahm'. One formless, timeless Superior Almighty being. This One God has three forms - Brahma the Creator, Vishnu, the Sustainer and Shiva, the Destroyer. What is created has to be destroyed so that it can be reborn. This is the Hindu Trinity. We don't have 'Crores of Gods', as some would like to say. We have ONE GOD who manifests Himself in crores of forms.

I guess he means he is Agnostic.

For the record, Agnosticism as a belief is mentioned in the Rig Veda - Nasadiya Sukta - so I guess he is a Hindu after all.

In Sikhism God is Sargun (all attributes) meaning all things you see around you. God is also Nirgun (no attributes) meaning nothing around you. So God exists and doesn't, at the same time! What does that tell you? That you can not believe in God all you want and still believe in him. And you can believe in him all you want and still not believe in him. That kind of makes every Sikh an atheist. Sargun is nature of the three lower worlds - the realm of maya from which springs the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. They are not beyond the regions of time and space. That's why they keep on re-incarnating because they cannot get mukti. Anybody following them cannot cross the borders into the lights of Sat Lok.

Guru Nanak Ji says,
Jay sao chanda ughvai,
Sooraj Charray Hajjar,
Eitay Channan Hundiya,
Gur Bin Ghor Andhar.

Only Guru (who is beyond the clutches of Maya,) can take souls out of the cycle of trans-migration. The realm of Brahma - mind region is so bright that its brilliancy exceeds a thousand suns and moons. But this brilliance is nothing (darkness) in comparison to Sach Khand. Without a guru, Brahma's region is mesmerizing enough to trap soul for eons, making one think that this is the final destination which we call home.

------

I guess same implements on Hindu's also, like Jackdaws mentioned above.

Importance of Diwali for Sikhs -

Bandi Chhorh Divas. The word "Bandi" means "imprisoned", "Chhor" means "release" and "Divas" means "day" and together "Bandi Chhor Divas" means Prisoner Release Day.

Sikhs celebrate Bandi Chhorh Divas to mark the return of the Sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind Ji, who was freed from imprisonment and also managed to release 52 Hindu Kings (political prisoners) at the same time from the famous fort of Gwalior by making clever use of Emperor Jahangir's orders to allow any who could hold on to the Gurus coat tails to leave the fort with the Guru (October, 1619).

And so the Kings/rajahs were freed and the Guru became known popularly as the "Bandi Chhor" (Deliverer from prison). He arrived at Amritsar on the Diwali day and the HarMandar (also known as the "Golden Temple") was lit with hundreds of lamps to celebrate his return and hence the day came to be known as the "Bandi Chhor Divas" (the day of freedom).

Martyrdom of Bhai Mani Singh Ji

An important Sikh event associated with Diwali is the martyrdom of the elderly Sikh scholar and strategist Bhai Mani Singh in 1737. Bhai Mani Singh was the Granthi (keeper/reader of Sikh scripture) of Harmandir Sahib (popularly known as the Golden Temple). He transcribed the final version of Guru Granth Sahib dictated to him by Guru Gobind Singh in 1704.

Bhai Mani Singh assumed charge of Harmandir Sahib's management in 1708. In 1737, he received permission from Zakariya Khan, the then Mughal governor of Punjab, to hold a religious gathering of the Khalsa for celebrating Bandi Chhorh Diwas on the auspicious day of Diwali for a large tax of 5000 Rupees. He expected to put together the required sum from contribution made by the Sikhs who would assemble that day. But on discovered Zakariya Khan's plot to kill the Sikhs during the gathering, he sent out messages warning them not to turn up for the meeting. As a result the tax could not be paid and Zakariya Khan ordered Bhai Mani Singh's execution at Lahore.

Ever since the Bandi Chhorh Diwas celebrated during Diwali is also commemorated the martyrdom of Bhai Mani Singh. It is also believed that this event along with other Sikh martyrdoms gave further momentum to the Khalsa struggle for freedom and eventual success in establishing the Khalsa rule in the north of Delhi.

Happy Diwali

10007437948ae676eda0oux9.jpg

9232_157670437148_550082148_2927128_2279269_n.jpg

India and Pakistan border guards hug, Indian Border Security Force (BSF) Commander H S Dhillon (R) embraces Pakistani Rangers Wing Commander Akbar Butt (L) on Diwali at the India-Pakistan Wagah Border

610x.jpg

Last edited:
I guess he means he is Agnostic.

For the record, Agnosticism as a belief is mentioned in the Rig Veda - Nasadiya Sukta - so I guess he is a Hindu after all.

Of course he is a Hindu buddy and most welcome too.

In Sikhism God is Sargun (all attributes) meaning all things you see around you. God is also Nirgun (no attributes) meaning nothing around you. So God exists and doesn't, at the same time! What does that tell you? That you can not believe in God all you want and still believe in him. And you can believe in him all you want and still not believe in him. That kind of makes every Sikh an atheist. Sargun is nature of the three lower worlds - the realm of maya from which springs the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. They are not beyond the regions of time and space. That's why they keep on re-incarnating because they cannot get mukti. Anybody following them cannot cross the borders into the lights of Sat Lok.

Guru Nanak Ji says,
Jay sao chanda ughvai,
Sooraj Charray Hajjar,
Eitay Channan Hundiya,
Gur Bin Ghor Andhar.

Only Guru (who is beyond the clutches of Maya,) can take souls out of the cycle of trans-migration. The realm of Brahma - mind region is so bright that its brilliancy exceeds a thousand suns and moons. But this brilliance is nothing (darkness) in comparison to Sach Khand. Without a guru, Brahma's region is mesmerizing enough to trap soul for eons, making one think that this is the final destination which we call home.

------

I guess same implements on Hindu's also, like Jackdaws mentioned above.

Yeah, the final destination is 'Moksha', freedom from the cycle of life, death and rebirth. Only then are we really free................

Happy Diwali

10007437948ae676eda0oux9.jpg

9232_157670437148_550082148_2927128_2279269_n.jpg

India and Pakistan border guards hug, Indian Border Security Force (BSF) Commander H S Dhillon (R) embraces Pakistani Rangers Wing Commander Akbar Butt (L) on Diwali at the India-Pakistan Wagah Border

610x.jpg

I can never get used to men in the subcontinent getting all PDAish. Even the guys holding hands freaks me out. Why can't they just shake hands rather than rub crotches.

I can never get used to men in the subcontinent getting all PDAish. Even the guys holding hands freaks me out. Why can't they just shake hands rather than rub crotches.

LOL me n my fren had weird habbit, we used to sit in unique posture on class bench. Actually bums starts to hurt (6hr school), so many times our legs overlapped etc (use imagination). History teacher was very suspicious, She got the wrong image LOL!!!

Its okay, Actually I was not even aware of Gay kinda things, only after I got active online (2002~), I reallized. I hold my frens hand, I will not let media to dictate to me. Nothing wrong in having affection, love towards other people.

Back
Top Bottom