What's new

HAL unveils engine for Trainers, Biz Jets. The HTFE-25.

The Pratt & Whitney PW545B on board the General Atomics Avenger gives a thrust of 3991lbf or around 17.75kN.
General_Atomics_Avenger_UCAV.jpg

Dimension wise the Pratt & Whitney PW545B is,
Diameter 32 ''
Length 68 ''.

P&WC: PW545B

Whereas the HTFE-25 (if the info on the brochure is to be believed) gives a thrust of 25kN or 5620lbf and is 1,730mm long and 590mm in diameter.
Diameter 23.23''
Length 68.11 ''.

I couldn't find both the engines' t/w ratio but at a glance the HTFE-25s t/w ratio maybe is better. Or am I wrong?

If HAL can finish it in time, it could be applied in different projects particularly UCAVs.

Correct me if I am wrong but this engine will have civilian application to right?

You just said something good about a HAL product
Buddy who the f*ck you are & where is he-man

You can have your cup of tea.....

HALs delays was attributed to Congress raj of no political will to make in India...

Just start counting ingress of OUR defence manufacturing, counting has begun.

Lolllz the extent to which some people go.

Knowing HAL, expect delays, lots of delays...and cost overruns. Good luck, my Indian friends. Do try not to be too hard on them.

YES...we have to keep trying ....COZ...We cannot depend on some country in the name of GOOD GOOD wala friend or some SAGUFA WALA Friend.... Due to this never give up policy we are growing economically and democratically day by day.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but this engine will have civilian application to right?

You just said something good about a HAL product
Buddy who the f*ck you are & where is he-man

Its possible.
The engine itself looks very sleek. If HAL delivers on time it could really be something.
Lets see if it can have both civilian and military usage.

Its possible.
The engine itself looks very sleek. If HAL delivers on time it could really be something.
Lets see if it can have both civilian and military usage.

Read the article,its mentioned they want this to power small business jets too.

The Kaveri has provided a solid foundation for GRTE and the Kaveri will form the core for other engine applications for India's ongoing future UCAV projects.

My point being, instead of jumping onto a larger engine like Kaveri; a step by step approach back then would have meant that today Kaveri would be a reality on the Tejas.

Kaveri is not the product of HAL but GTRE. HAL has its own Engine R&D facility

Ok, thank you for that relevant but unwarranted info.

a product of Kaveri project..
Had it been the other way around, you would have had both engines: A smaller engine in that class for trainers which would have helped sort out the R&D process. and a bigger engine called Kaveri that would have had a greater chance for success from day one.

Unwarranted? GTRE comes under DRDO while HAL is an independent PSU. GTRE is a research organization and hence gets fund directly from the GOI, while on the other hand HAL has to deliver from its own pockets and cannot take up higher end research like Kaveri.

This is not the first engine from HAL. HAL has previously designed and developed a Turbo Jet Engine named HJE-2500.

Now they have made an engine which doesn't have an aircraft confirmed for it.

Saying an engine will be used in trainers doesn't mean it will be.

It will require Parikkar to shove it down the IAF's throat with a minimum 200+ order.

What's next? Making a missile that has no platform invented?

HAL should be merged with other designing and manufacturing labs in the country.

This duplication of work, overlapping interests and conflicting politics is just too pathetic.

Let's hope they use it on NAL saras to

They'll have to adape the engine. Saras is a Turboprop pushers.

Had it been the other way around, you would have had both engines: A smaller engine in that class for trainers which would have helped sort out the R&D process. and a bigger engine called Kaveri that would have had a greater chance for success from day one.

Engines are evolutionary, so I think it's ok. Eventually one will fly well, we'll keep building on from that to build more and more families of engines.

They'll have to adape the engine. Saras is a Turboprop pushers.

Engines are evolutionary, so I think it's ok. Eventually one will fly well, we'll keep building on from that to build more and more families of engines.

If this engine successes, it will free us from the dependence of requirements from other nations for small civil aircraft and trainers like SItara. All in all it is a great development. 40 KN Engine may be Developed for Aura like plane. Though late but I expect a success like Cryogenic engine of ISRO. MK 1 And MK2 successful and MK3 is just hot tested. Mastery over this technology shall make us truly independent in aviation industries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom