What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too had that doubt buddy, but keep your cursor on the Photo and It will display IL 78 refueling LCA tejas

i believe my eyes more than sumones pic note !!!

its indeed a m2k.......

no prob mate lca's air refueling pics will be coming soon.....

LCATejas3-side.jpg

hal_light_combat_aircraft-05456.jpg

Tejasfiveview1.jpg

can anyone tell if there is an increase in weapons load of tejas in mk2 version as it is about 4 tn in mk1 version...... which i think is a bit on the lower side..........

Hi

MK1 payload is around 3 tons
There is a lack of understanding about what the Tejas’ weight is, since all kinds of figures are bandied about. Let me clarify: The 10.5 tons that I wrote about in my last post is the total weight of the Tejas, with full fuel on board; all 7 pylons fitted but not carrying weapons; and two outboard missiles being carried. The maximum payload of the Tejas is 3.5 tons… carried on its pylons. This could be armament or external fuel tanks; if external fuel tanks are fitted, the weight of fuel will correspondingly bring down the weapons load carried.

But there’s a catch! The maximum take-off weight of the Tejas is 13 tons. So if you load the maximum payload of 3.5 tons onto the 10.5 ton fighter, your weight of 14 tons is beyond the maximum take-off weight. So you’ll have to shed one ton… or either internal fuel or external fuel/armaments. That’s what happens when a fighter’s weight goes beyond what was originally planned.

So the reduction of 600-700 kilos may not actually go into making the Tejas more manoeuvrable. This shaved off weight may be made up by allowing the Tejas to carry (close to) its full capacity of external fuel-cum-armament.

MK1 with its additional weight might just be 3 tons
I believe they might increase it to 4 tons for mk2 version

Last edited:
MK1 with its additional weight might just be 3 tons
I believe they might increase it to 4 tons for mk2 version

but u can always reduce the internal fuel to half and put up more weapons on pylons for short range strikes.......then can we put 3.5+1.5 tn on lca wings ???? plz care to answer.....

just for knowledge .....whats the max weapons load one can put on tejas wings even when fuel is zero .... more like how much load can tejas wings can sustain ???

but u can always reduce the internal fuel to half and put up more weapons on pylons for short range strikes.......then can we put 3.5+1.5 tn on lca wings ???? plz care to answer.....

just for knowledge .....whats the max weapons load one can put on tejas wings even when fuel is zero .... more like how much load can tejas wings can sustain ???

Tejas is a point defense fighter with short range so if we shave of 1.5 tons of fuel then it may not be of any use at all.
what I mean is 1.5 tons of fuel translates to around 1900 litres, which is less than half of internal fuel (3000 L internal).
As far as I know the range of Tejas without external tanks/aerial refueling is 300 KM.
So this shaved off fuel (just 1100L) will lead to 50 - 100 KM range which is not enough for any mission. I believe I answered your question.

Seniors pl let me know If I am wrong

Last edited:
what I mean is 1.5 tons of fuel translates to around 1900 litres, which is less than half of internal fuel (3000 L internal).
:undecided::disagree:

As far as I know the range of Tejas without external tanks/aerial refueling is 300 KM.
i cannot believe this at all plz give a source !!!

I believe I answered your question.

sry mate u didn't .... plzz read my post again !!!

:undecided::disagree:

i cannot believe this at all plz give a source !!!

sry mate u didn't .... plzz read my post again !!!

Range - what I meant was radius of action. please check the specs image on -->http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/4346-lca-news-discussions-105.html

wing loading - http://www.lca-tejas.org/weapons.html
Theoretically it is possible to load tejas to 5 tons pl check the weapon loading img.

by the way Tejas internal fuel capacity is 3000L --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_Tejas#Specifications_.28HAL_Tejas.29

And 1500KG will be around 1900 ltr of aviation fuel.

Does this answer your query?

Range - what I meant was radius of action.

i think we were talking of range and not radius ..... with range u will have to double those km`s (u gave in radius)= 2x300kms

that is .. a max range of 600kms with weapons load..... isn't it ?

1900L isn't less than half of 3000L..... i think u did a little mistake....

Theoretically it is possible to load tejas to 5 tons pl check the weapon loading img.

thanks alot buddy now i got my answer ......

@ Sir

Could it be that your conclusion is based on the older specs of Tejas?

Check these specs that were provided by HAL at the Defexpo this year:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Dc2Wx4jR9F8/S36pQgBKyyI/AAAAAAAABOk/iYPLfQ-UkfE/s1600/CIMG2779.JPG

As you can see the empty weight is down to 5680Kg and the internal fuel capacity is given with 2485Kg, which should translates to the 3000l that were expected from the beginning.

Now if the specs are correct it could be even like this:

13500Kg maximum take off weight

- (minus) 5680Kg empty
- 2485Kg fuel

= 5335Kg left!

Which means LCA MK1 should have at least the 4000Kg payload as it was expected at the beginning, if not more.

13500Kg maximum take off weight

as far as i know .. hal is making changes in wing positioning , slight changes to airframe(refined aerodynamics) , and of course a new powerful engine on mk2 version of tejas ..... cant all they lead to greater takeoff weight ????

as far as i know .. hal is making changes in wing positioning , slight changes to airframe(refined aerodynamics) , and of course a new powerful engine on mk2 version of tejas ..... cant all they lead to greater takeoff weight ????

Sure, these are specs for the actual MK1 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom