What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

Tejas FOC won’t skip the December deadline:
Bengaluru, Feb 17: The Final Operational Clearance (FOC) of India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas is on track and it ‘won't skip‘ the December deadline announced by Defence Minister Manohar Parrkiar.
Speaking to OneIndia on the eve of 10th edition of Aero India, P S Subramaniam, ADA Director, said that all the projected schedules in the programme are on the right flightpath.

17-1424194082-subramanyam001.jpg

"Tejas FOC is well on track and we will stick to the December deadline," Subramaniam said. He said at the Aero India 2015, LSP-3 and LSP-4 will take turns and enthral the crowd during the flying display. The first Series Production (SP-1) aircraft and the second naval prototype (NP-2, a fighter) will be on static display.

The project has come a long way

He said all the systems on Tejas have been updated to the contemporary mode. "We have come a long way and I am happy to have fulfilled my missions. The aircraft has undergone so many changes since 2001 and today the pilots say that it's a delight to fly Tejas," Subramaniam, who has been associated with the project for the last 28 years, said.

He said with the FOC, the capabilities of Tejas will be enhanced further. "The integration of an air-to-air refuelling probe, beyond visual range (BVR) missiles, additional low-drag bombs and gun shall be retro-complied on series production aircraft. The delivery of first Squadron of 20 Tejas shall be completed by 2018-19," he said.

Post-Aero India, the weapon trials of Tejas would continue to test some of the mandated mission(s) under FOC.

17-1424194146-tejas-lca.jpg

Manuals getting tweaked

When asked about his reaction to media reports that the SP-1 aircraft was handed over to IAF without any training manuals, the senior scientist said that the documents had to be tweaked further for the squadron pilots.

"So far Tejas was flown by experienced Test Pilots and now with the aircraft being handed over to the IAF pilots, they wanted some changes. The squadron pilots did not want too many technology details in the manuals (both tech and flight) and we are making changes to the same based on the IAF feedback," he said.

Activities completed towards FOC

• Integration of centre-line drop tank
• Gun integration & ground firing
• Integration of conventional & low drag bombs
• Integration of advanced LGB
•Hot & cold weather trials
•All weather certification
• Envelop expansion to higher angles of attack and load factor (g).
(Source: ADA)
Parameters to be completed during FOC phase
• Air-to-air refuelling
• Gun flight trials
• High speed low drag bomb with retarded tail unit
• Integration of supersonic drop tank
• Integration of BVR missile and Advanced Close Combat Missile
• Envelop expansion to higher angles of attack and load factor (g)

(Source ADA)

Photos: A Veeramani

Tejas FOC won’t skip the December deadline:
Bengaluru, Feb 17: The Final Operational Clearance (FOC) of India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas is on track and it ‘won't skip‘ the December deadline announced by Defence Minister Manohar Parrkiar.
Speaking to OneIndia on the eve of 10th edition of Aero India, P S Subramaniam, ADA Director, said that all the projected schedules in the programme are on the right flightpath.

17-1424194082-subramanyam001.jpg

"Tejas FOC is well on track and we will stick to the December deadline," Subramaniam said. He said at the Aero India 2015, LSP-3 and LSP-4 will take turns and enthral the crowd during the flying display. The first Series Production (SP-1) aircraft and the second naval prototype (NP-2, a fighter) will be on static display.

The project has come a long way

He said all the systems on Tejas have been updated to the contemporary mode. "We have come a long way and I am happy to have fulfilled my missions. The aircraft has undergone so many changes since 2001 and today the pilots say that it's a delight to fly Tejas," Subramaniam, who has been associated with the project for the last 28 years, said.

He said with the FOC, the capabilities of Tejas will be enhanced further. "The integration of an air-to-air refuelling probe, beyond visual range (BVR) missiles, additional low-drag bombs and gun shall be retro-complied on series production aircraft. The delivery of first Squadron of 20 Tejas shall be completed by 2018-19," he said.

Post-Aero India, the weapon trials of Tejas would continue to test some of the mandated mission(s) under FOC.

17-1424194146-tejas-lca.jpg

Manuals getting tweaked

When asked about his reaction to media reports that the SP-1 aircraft was handed over to IAF without any training manuals, the senior scientist said that the documents had to be tweaked further for the squadron pilots.

"So far Tejas was flown by experienced Test Pilots and now with the aircraft being handed over to the IAF pilots, they wanted some changes. The squadron pilots did not want too many technology details in the manuals (both tech and flight) and we are making changes to the same based on the IAF feedback," he said.

Activities completed towards FOC

• Integration of centre-line drop tank
• Gun integration & ground firing
• Integration of conventional & low drag bombs
• Integration of advanced LGB
•Hot & cold weather trials
•All weather certification
• Envelop expansion to higher angles of attack and load factor (g).
(Source: ADA)
Parameters to be completed during FOC phase
• Air-to-air refuelling
• Gun flight trials
• High speed low drag bomb with retarded tail unit
• Integration of supersonic drop tank
• Integration of BVR missile and Advanced Close Combat Missile
• Envelop expansion to higher angles of attack and load factor (g)

(Source ADA)

Photos: A Veeramani

AOA has already reached 26* as per saurav Jha g limit crossed 7 . Precision bombing already carried out. Integrate gun first. We can integrate refuel probe later on. When we had inducted Mirage, Gun integrated 3 years later. We inducted MKI without EW and integrated many years later. Basically plane should be problem free. we can integrate weapon, EW at any time.

Last edited:
I did not understand on one hand he says its not delayed and on another he says its End of 2015. Does it not mean the FOC is delayed by 1 year from Dec 2014 to dec 2015.

Thanks alot bro... Now can you tell me how you did so from next time am not gonna bother you much. :P

Simple copy and paste in any graphic program you have, like Paint or PS.

I did not understand on one hand he says its not delayed and on another he says its End of 2015. Does it not mean the FOC is delayed by 1 year from Dec 2014 to dec 2015.

The usual distraction tactics of DRDO, it is delayed for 1 year now, although the hope last Dec was to achieve it by mid 2015. And I wouldn't give too much about his statements about Dec 2015 at this point too, since we know only how good the radar works, when the new nose is integrated and tested and the nose is only to be available around April. So only after that one can judge how much more time is needed, since the radar integration is crucial for the BVR missile integration too. Lets hope for the best

The usual distraction tactics of DRDO, it is delayed for 1 year now, although the hope last Dec was to achieve it by mid 2015. And I wouldn't give too much about his statements about Dec 2015 at this point too, since we know only how good the radar works, when the new nose is integrated and tested and the nose is only to be available around April. So only after that one can judge how much more time is needed, since the radar integration is crucial for the BVR missile integration too. Lets hope for the best

Considering the fact that the DRDO head was recently FIRED, I expect the DRDO group heads to push their team HARD to stick to its schedule :P

Considering the fact that the DRDO head was recently FIRED, I expect the DRDO group heads to push their team HARD to stick to its schedule :P

And I welcomed that move, but I heared too many promises of DRDO over the years and don't bother about that too much anymore. Let them deliver and then we can celebrate.

Back
Top Bottom