What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

tumblr_o9n9ozqFZg1tjfjuco2_1280.png

Incredible India!!!

Hindu priest performing Puja...
Maulana sahab and Sikh guru in background participating in same.
I take the man in black suit to be a pastor.

What a religious harmony for something that is by product of scientific world.

It happens only in India....
Where these coconuts bursted/cracked on the plane :P

Only Wished that they had put the "Flying Daggers" Insignia on the Aircraft :P

Only Wished that they had put the "Flying Daggers" Insignia on the Aircraft :P
The IAF does not mark their fighters with SQN insignias (the IN does however).

------------------------

-------------------------

tumblr_o9nc3skJyI1tjfjuco1_1280.png

Last edited:
The IAF does not mark their fighters with SQN insignias (the IN does hoseater.

------------------------

-------------------------

tumblr_o9nc3skJyI1tjfjuco1_1280.png
ok does that mean the other two yellow tail planes are Sp3 and Pv5 because what I can see is one is definetly PV5 double seater.

Flying Tejas felt like being on top of the world, says pilot after a 10-minute solo sortie
IANS | Jul 1, 2016, 05.42 PM IST
HIGHLIGHTS
  1. Flying Tejas was like being on top of the world, said Group Captain Madhav Rangachari
  2. It's an honour and a privilege to pilot: Rangachari
  3. Rangachari flew the multi-role supersonic fighter up to 1,500 feet altitude at 900km speed
53009943.jpg
(Photo of Captain Madhav Rangachari via Twitter/ANI)
BENGALURU: Flying the indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) after its induction into the Indian Air Force (IAF) was like being on top of the world, said Group Captain Madhav Rangachari on Friday.

"I felt like being on top of the world when flying the Tejas fighter . It's an honour and a privilege to pilot the inaugural flight of the LCA soon after its induction," Rangachari told reporters after a 10-minute solo sortie under a cloudy sky and windy conditions.

The 40-year-old test pilot is the commanding officer of the IAF's 45 squadron nicknamed Flying Daggers. With 3,000 flying hours experience, Rangachari was part of the Mirage 2000 squadron before flying the multirole Tejas since a year.

Taking off from the IAF's Aircraft System Testing Establishment (ASTE) tarmac in the city's eastern suburb and adjacent to the defence airport of the state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), Rangachari flew the multi-role supersonic fighter up to 1,500 feet altitude at 900 km speed (450 knots) within visual range in the Bengaluru sky.

"I could do only horizontal profile and not vertical due to the cloudy sky. It's an excellent aircraft and generation ahead of other fighters in the world. Being the only of its kind (light combat), it's not comparable with other military aircraft," Rangachari asserted.

Master.jpg

Though the aircraft did not have weapons under its wings for the sortie, Rangachari said he had flown it with air-to-air missiles and laser-guided bombs during test flights and had verified its strike power.

"For flight demonstrations and aerobatics, we do not carry weapons, though Tejas is capable of flying with four-tonne payloads, including missiles and bombs and hitting targets accurately," Rangachari claimed.
As the Tejas squadron will operate from Bengaluru for the next two years before moving to its designated air base at Sulur near Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu, the air force will deploy more test pilots and technicians to fly them for final operational clearance and training.

"The squadron has six test pilots, 20 technicians to fly the LCA and more fighter pilots will join us, as we induct two more of them this year and three more next year when delivered by HAL," Rangachari said.
On landing after a flawless flight demo, the olive green aircraft was greeted with a water salute as it taxied onto the base from the runway

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...0-minute-solo-sortie/articleshow/53008187.cms

LOL ... Well New Aircraft... Just Wished and Being Nostalgic

Any one has Info on Sq No. 45 , I do know that they are an old Sq. , but what were they previously flying?

Originally Squadron 45 was consisting of De Havilland Vampires for Ground attack and Close Air Support

004.jpg

The photo of the Crest of No.45 Squadron shows a winged sword - as designed by Squadron Leader Grewal himself. The Crest was approved by the Heraldic Commitee on 16th September 1961

003.jpg

Sqn Ldr M S Grewal taking over as Squadron Commander of 45 Squadron, consisting of De Havilland Vampires

008.jpg

All the sixteen Vampires of No.45 Squadron on the ground before their historical 16-ac diamond formation

009.jpg

The 45 Squadron had 16 aircraft, it was a unique engineering feat to have all the aircraft fly worthy on a single day.

Once retired the no 45 was taken by Mig 21s in the timezone 1965-71 which were retired in 2002. These Migs most famous glory came in involment in Atlantique incident on 10 August 1999 when two MiG-21Bison from No.45 Squadron IAF intercepted and shot down Pakistani naval reconnaissance plane.

So the era of homegrown fighters begains in India and the IAF.:tup:
Tejas will be a milestone in the history if Indian aviation.
Can anybody clarify the position of the FOC. Were these fighters inducted without the FOC. Or the whole concept of IOC and FOC has been discarded by the govt?

Since much is not known about its radar capabilities, I can only comment about its aerodynamic performance. To me it seems to be a lighter version of the Mirage 2000. High on drag, like all delta-winged aircraft. It's aspect ratio is the lowest ever in any jet fighter, to date. This translates into poor turning ability at low speeds due to high induced drag. Also, it means longer take-off and landing distances.
The F-404 engine is a very capable and reliable, though the IAF would be in a mess if it switched to the Kaveri that hasn't worked so far.
The JF-17 is an operational aircraft, and has a proven record. The pilots are quite happy with its performance.
Finally, as an aesthete, I find the Tejas ugly from ceetain aspects, especially the oversized servo actuator fairings on the underside of the wings.
Given a choice, I'd go for a JF-17 to fight a Tejas.

Since much is not known about its radar capabilities, I can only comment about its aerodynamic performance. To me it seems to be a lighter version of the Mirage 2000. High on drag, like all delta-winged aircraft. It's aspect ratio is the lowest ever in any jet fighter, to date. This translates into poor turning ability at low speeds due to high induced drag. Also, it means longer take-off and landing distances.
The F-404 engine is a very capable and reliable, though the IAF would be in a mess if it switched to the Kaveri that hasn't worked so far.
The JF-17 is an operational aircraft, and has a proven record. The pilots are quite happy with its performance.
Finally, as an aesthete, I find the Tejas ugly from ceetain aspects, especially the oversized servo actuator fairings on the underside of the wings.
Given a choice, I'd go for a JF-17 to fight a Tejas.

I hope you keep jf 17 away from thread... nothing to do with..

If you get the ejection seat wrong ( too close to the canopy ) after 33 years of development then that is a huge cause of concern

. It's aspect ratio is the lowest ever in any jet fighter, to date. This translates into poor turning ability at low speeds due to high induced drag. Also, it means longer take-off and landing distances.

upload_2016-7-1_13-39-33.png

a low aspect-ratio wing will have a higher roll angular acceleration than one of high aspect ratio, because a high-aspect-ratio wing has a higher moment of inertia to overcome. In a steady roll, the longer wing gives a higher roll moment because of the longer moment arm of the aileron. Low aspect ratio wings are usually used on fighter aircraft, not only for the higher roll rates, but especially for longer chord and thinner airfoils involved in supersonic flight.

As far as take off and landing distance.

On aesthetics, just feel sorry for your taste.

Back
Top Bottom