What's new

HAL floats RFI for Tejas Mk2

If India believed that the Rafale is the way to go, they would not run MMRCA Mk 2.
They would simply reopen negotiation with France/Dassault.
MMRCA 2.0 is a sure sign that Rafale will not be chosen.
With IN not beeing able to use the Naval version due to wingspan, Dassault is in a loser position.

There are few issued CAG has reported with regards MMRCA Tender and I think new Govt formed after May 2019 elections will have to look into that and MMRCA 2.0 tender process will help in concluding the process and if Rafale once again become L1 then there will be much larger order is waiting, considering Mirage & Mig-29s replacements has to be done from 2030 inwards.

If India believed that the Rafale is the way to go, they would not run MMRCA Mk 2.
They would simply reopen negotiation with France/Dassault.

This was planned. GoI was planning to award Dassault a contract for 90 jets. But then they decided it will be too controversial. Instead they have now decided to bring the private sector in through a competitive process and are allowing the private sector to compete for orders, whereas simply handing over the contract to Dassault would have led to Reliance taking over. The new process levels the playing field.

MMRCA 2.0 is a sure sign that Rafale will not be chosen.

It's actually the opposite. MMRCA 2.0 is being designed in such a way that it will favour the Rafale, and all others will be underdogs. India follows a process of creating new requirements based on the best jet they already have, in this case Rafale.

So your jet is going to have to do really, really well if it has to beat the Rafale now.

You can actually say that MMRCA 2.0 is about choosing the Indian partner that will build the Rafale.

With IN not beeing able to use the Naval version due to wingspan, Dassault is in a loser position.

They will either cut the deck and extend the elevator or put folding wings on Rafale.

Personally, I prefer IN going for modernised Mig-29K for the carriers and F-35B for LHDs. But IN wants a CATOBAR capable fighter right from the start so they can create requirements for the 3rd carrier. Which means the IN's MRCBF is mostly a competition between Rafale and SH.

There is a good chance MRCBF may be cancelled and IN may buy some more stopgap Mig-29Ks and focus on N-Mk2 and N-AMCA instead. But this in no way affects MMRCA 2.0.

There are few issued CAG has reported with regards MMRCA Tender and I think new Govt formed after May 2019 elections will have to look into that and MMRCA 2.0 tender process will help in concluding the process and if Rafale once again become L1 then there will be much larger order is waiting, considering Mirage & Mig-29s replacements has to be done from 2030 inwards.

M-2000 and Mig-29 will be replaced with LCA Mk2. M-2000 will serve IAF until 2040.

Rafales are necessary to replace Mig-27 and 2 squadrons of Jaguars from 2025 onwards.

PkouZva.png

LCA MARK 2, "MCA"

M-2000 and Mig-29 will be replaced with LCA Mk2. M-2000 will serve IAF until 2040.
Rafales are necessary to replace Mig-27 and 2 squadrons of Jaguars from 2025 onwards.

I disagree, I don't think M-2000 & Mig-29 will be replaced by Tejas instead I will consider AMCA as better contender as time line suggest so.

Tejas will replace Mig-21s which IAF thinks going offline. MRCA 2.0 will supplement for Mig-21s & force level shortfalls.

which leaves 11 sq of Ground Attack jets of Mig-27s & Jaguars and eventually Rafale will replace them all - not by 1 to 1.

I disagree, I don't think M-2000 & Mig-29 will be replaced by Tejas instead I will consider AMCA as better contender as time line suggest so.

Tejas will replace Mig-21s which IAF thinks going offline. MRCA 2.0 will supplement for Mig-21s & force level shortfalls.

which leaves 11 sq of Ground Attack jets of Mig-27s & Jaguars and eventually Rafale will replace them all - not by 1 to 1.

You are seeing it all wrong. You have to consider even phased out squadrons and not just the existing ones.

LCA Mk1 will replace Mig-21. LCA Mk2 will replace M-2000, Mig-29 and Jaguar. Rafale will replace Mig-27 and Jaguar.

https://www.indiatoday.in/mail-toda...ake-lca-tejas-top-priority-1189851-2018-03-15

You are seeing it all wrong. You have to consider even phased out squadrons and not just the existing ones.

LCA Mk1 will replace Mig-21. LCA Mk2 will replace M-2000, Mig-29 and Jaguar. Rafale will replace Mig-27 and Jaguar.

https://www.indiatoday.in/mail-toda...ake-lca-tejas-top-priority-1189851-2018-03-15

Tejas yet to reach full speed production.

Once Tejas Mk2 operationalized by 2025-27 it will replace Mig-21 bis, Mig-27s & Tejas Mk1s and by 2040, M-2000 & Mig-29s & Jaguar DARIN II will be replaced by AMCA not by Tejas.

IAF needs to maintain minimum of 42 sq and by 2025 maximum possible is
Su-30 - 16 sq
Rafale - 2 sq
MRCA - 2 sq
Jaguar - 5 sq
MiG-29 - 3 + 1 sq
M-2000 - 3 sq
Tejas - 6 sq
i.e, 38 sq

https://idsa.in/issuebrief/the-indian-air-force-declining-squadron-strength_sbmaharaj_031117

I think you are right

The Indian Air Force recently placed an order of 83 advanced FOC aircraft of the LCA Tejas. Speaking about the order and the air force's future plan, Air Marshal BS Dhanoa said: "Not only will we have to induct the LCA Tejas MK II, we will, in the days ahead, replace the Jaguar, Mirage and MiG 29 fighter jets." The air chief added that "After that we will go ahead with the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft."

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/aer...-fighter-jet-formally-joins-air-force-1996893

I think you are right

The Indian Air Force recently placed an order of 83 advanced FOC aircraft of the LCA Tejas. Speaking about the order and the air force's future plan, Air Marshal BS Dhanoa said: "Not only will we have to induct the LCA Tejas MK II, we will, in the days ahead, replace the Jaguar, Mirage and MiG 29 fighter jets." The air chief added that "After that we will go ahead with the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft."

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/aer...-fighter-jet-formally-joins-air-force-1996893

Cheers, bro. Nothing about being right or wrong. Aircraft are flexible and can replace anything within the given constraints.

Maybe an entirely new aircraft will replace M-2000, Mig-29 and Jaguar.

Cheers, bro. Nothing about being right or wrong. Aircraft are flexible and can replace anything within the given constraints.

Maybe an entirely new aircraft will replace M-2000, Mig-29 and Jaguar.

I assumed AMCA suppose to replace twin engine fighters rather than single engine LCA.

I assumed AMCA suppose to replace twin engine fighters rather than single engine LCA.

It has more to do with the kind of missions that need to be performed than the number of engines.

LCA Mk2 is a much more mission capable than aircraft like Mig-29UPG and Jaguar due to its newer design while also being cheaper to operate and quicker to take to the air for QRA.

Back
Top Bottom