What's new

Tejas Mk2 Fighters Going The Rafale Way; Over Dozen Countries Interested But Debut Deal Eludes

Mk2 will be an all-rounder. All the goodies of Mirage 2000, Jaguar,most of the casualties of Mig 29 and many capabilities of MKI and Rafale packed in a single plane. It will be similar to Gripen NG but ahead of it in payload and weapon capabilities.
I am sure it will be.

But the most used word as of now is “Will be”. Tejas initial days isn’t doing any good to the reputation either.

I hope that these people deliver what has been promised on paper.

Even Tejas is good. But the integration and implementation was pathetic in the early birds. So much so that maintaining it was and still is a nightmare. MK I is much better. MK I A would be even more.

MK 2 is already a little behind timelines. That worries me. We can’t afford another Tejas like long term never ending plan. It is unlikely but worrisome.

Not made in India it is assembled in India with bought parts. Made is what Russia, China and US does. Just because you buy computer parts and assemble a computer doesn't mean you made the graphics card or CPU, you simply assembled it together which is a million times easier. Lets just be frank and not try to fool people

Not made in India it is assembled in India with bought parts.
Really?
You think that one can design and integrate a fighter from parts bought from the dark web?

Few critical technologies aren't available yet and are under development but generalising and saying that it is an assemble is a poor troll attempt.

first Of all Noones gonna buy this junk and even if some country does end up getting trapped into a deal, they ll not receive the aircrafts till 2040.

I am sure it will be.

But the most used word as of now is “Will be”. Tejas initial days isn’t doing any good to the reputation either.

I hope that these people deliver what has been promised on paper.

Even Tejas is good. But the integration and implementation was pathetic in the early birds. So much so that maintaining it was and still is a nightmare. MK I is much better. MK I A would be even more.

MK 2 is already a little behind timelines. That worries me. We can’t afford another Tejas like long term never ending plan. It is unlikely but worrisome.

Tejas was a "Will be" a decade back. We made it far better than what we had planned. Mk2 is zn upgrad version of Mk1. Design is freezed and it is being made. You can keep saying till it flies. We make best. We are not interested to building the stockpile of Junk inventory where we face a problem to hide it in a war. Ours is going to be a top class fighter comparable with Gripen NG only and better than it in many aspects.

India has been invaded 21 times in its history of which 19 were successful 🤣 surely many countries want such experience

We made it far better than what we had planned.
On paper yes. But there are servicing, maintenance and reliability issues even in IOC II variants. FOC variant addressed most of these issues and is flying very well.
But, by the time FOC came out, it had gone behind time in-terms of its capabilities and threat environment. Had it’s initial lot been good enough then time wasted in making FOC could have been spent on upgrading it to MK I A and MK IA would have been flying by now. Initial flight to IOC to FOC timelines are completely unacceptable. Not blaming anyone here. Everyone played their bit in this mess.

All this is water down the bridge now and future looks good.
Everyone including HAL, IAF and babus have learnt their lessons and government seems fully committed to make the domestic arms industry a success.

You're promoting a fighter with key ITAR inputs to countries who...

1. Either don't have good ties with the U.S.
2. Already have cheaper or more tested ITAR-heavy options (e.g., FA-50, Gripen, etc).

...and you're not getting any sales? I wonder why...

1667148237698.png

Just days after India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) was granted authorization to begin production of the LCA Mk 2 fighter jet, new reports indicate that several countries have expressed interest in the Indian light combat aircraft.

About 16 countries have approached India to seek details of the next-generation Tejas Mk2 fighter aircraft, News 18 reported citing unnamed government officials. The model of the aircraft was displayed at the Defense Expo 2022.

The report added that the government was also working on identifying other private agencies to increase the combat aircraft production rate amid heightened demand. Last month, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), which is led by the Prime Minister and the Defense Minister, gave its nod to the LCA Mk2 combat aircraft.

“There is a huge push from the central government on increasing the production rate of the aircraft with India already getting inquiries about the aircraft from 16 countries,” LCA Mk2 Project Director at Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) Dr. V Madhusudana Rao told News18 on the sidelines of the DefExpo-2022. “

The official said that the government has pushed for reducing the cost of the aircraft and rapid production to boost the export potential of the fighter. India has been looking to export its indigenously developed LCA Tejas, however, it has not been successful in its attempt so far despite negotiations in advanced stages with countries like Malaysia.

The ADA Chief also recently told News 18 that “HAL can meet the requirement of the Indian Armed Forces. HAL can be the lead integrator, responsible for putting together all major parts and systems and doing the flight testing and delivery.

But beyond that, the private partnership will be required.” The private partnership could give a much-needed fillip to aircraft manufacturing undertaken by HAL.

According to government estimates, the aircraft will be ready for roll-out by the end of December 2023, and the first prototype of the fighter will take to the skies a year later in 2024. Once the first flight is successful, three more prototypes will be subsequently produced.

Further, the initial set of key weapons will be, by design, integrated into the aircraft before concluding the complete flight testing, including the wing tip missile and two to four Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missiles.
Defence Expo 22 | LCA Mark-II | Program Director Dr Madhusudhan Rao
The ADA chief also said, “The long lead component manufacturing for the aircraft has begun. By December 2027, we will be completing the design and development of LCA Mark 2 with complete flight testing for all four prototypes and entering into the production of LCA Mark 2 for the IAF”.

On 18 July, Air Chief Vivek Ram Chaudhari said that the Indian Air Force has already committed to purchasing six squadrons of the Light Combat Aircraft Mark 2 (LCA M2). The phasing out of several fleets of the IAF once their operational cycle is over by 2035 was thoroughly detailed by the IAF chief earlier this month.

The Mk2 variant will replace the aging MiG-29, Mirage-2000s, and Jaguars in the Indian Air Force fleet through the next ten years.
LCA Tejas MK2

eurasiantimes LOL

Are India’s arms exports on ‘cusp of a revolution’?​

This week’s DefExpo highlighted the bold ambitions of India’s defense industry

As this biannual exhibition comes to a close on Saturday, the DefExpo can boast of the presence of 1,340 companies from the Indian defense industry, including 100 startups, plus others from 75 participating nations, resulting in the signing of at least 450 memoranda of understanding.

Inaugurating it on Tuesday, Modi spoke of India’s defense exports having increased by eight times in last eight years and India now exporting defense materials and equipment to more than 75 countries, leading him to set the target of US$5 billion worth of such exports annually by 2025.

Our defense minister in a significant statement asked HAL to reduce the cost of this fighter. Can anybody imagine an ultra modern fighter with top class features in 50 to 60 pc cost of their European counterpart? This can be a sensation in defense industry. When this plane will be equipped with 75/125 kn engine, it will rule the sky. Just less than one decade is to go.

I met came across someone who operates Tejas of latest standard. He told that it is everything that they wanted with very good reliability and also that the initial lot still have a lot of issues. Didn’t go into details, though I was very keen.

It indicates that the MK 1A would be a pretty sorted out machine. And MK II definitely leagues ahead.

Only worry is about the timelines as promised by HAL and ADA.
Manufacturing quality (not of HAL but local and some sourced suppliers) was a nightmare apparently. Desi Juggar and shortcuts to blame instead of design - unfortunately and also because it was a government organization buy you keep in mind that the suppliers are the lowest bidders.

The JF-17 wasn’t spared that initially either but 3-4 stoic individuals stood tall and saved it from a sea of supplier fraud and sharks.
Hopefully, the Tejas has similar men in IAF, HAL , suppliers and government bureaucrats.

Back
Top Bottom