What's new

HAL divestment plan gains speed

HAL will develop exclusive products to armed forces requirements if Armed forces provides the cost for development, just like DRDO, and that too with accountability!!!! How awesome right,
Sandy sir I think thats what this IPO is supposed to do. Raise money. Finally HAL can have enough money for the research work.

but guess how much money was given to HAL for LCA Mk2 Development???? As a matter of fact so will mahindra, tata, LT if MOD provides the money for development of tanks, mortars, ships, vehicles etc, etc etc, but guess where the research money goes, which results in importing handguns, 9mm ammunition and even ballistic vests???
I am sorry is HAL developing Mark-2 ??? I though its DRDO and HAL being production company. Its all about priorities and availability of resource. I guess soldiers cant wait till our PSUs come with a decent gun. Didnt you comment "disappointing" on that carbine ???
I think this is a golden opputunity to piss on all the efforts of engineers and managers who have dedicated their lives for PSU's.... starve a company with misguiding them as much as you can and then chop them up and sell them off to private entities? MoD deserves more Bofors, Tatra Vectra's and RADS....

It would be a good thing to dis invest HAL completely... atleast I wont have to defend half baked allegations on the forum henceforth....
HAL will never be privatise as you are thinking. The worst case scenario 49% that too if bailing them out goes out of reach of GOI.
Its about priorities too. Clearly GOI want HAL/DRDO for our forces and NOT forces for HAL/DRDO. They need to compliment each other. HAL as company might have their own goals and ambitions but that should not be over needs of forces.

PS. I am well know HAL/DRDO hater but I too wont support rooting them out.
Lets wait for the report of committee set up to impore DRDO and HAL

A simple Lean Mgmt tool called A3

Reason for Action
Initial state
Target State
Gap Analysis
Rapid experiments
Projects
Lessons learned
Results

Try filling out one for Prop trainer, Jet trainer, Light Fighter, medium fighter, Light transport, Heavy transport...

5 Bucks says HAL's projects will lineup and MoD's Actions wont....

Well the MoD has woefully mismanaged the whole defense research and production sector in the country for decades now...ADA is a shining example of said harebrained idiocy..I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry when the ADA director stated that when they started the project they did not even know what product life cycle costs meant...:hang3:

Sandy sir I think thats what this IPO is supposed to do. Raise money. Finally HAL can have enough money for the research work.

I am sorry is HAL developing Mark-2 ??? I though its DRDO and HAL being production company. Its all about priorities and availability of resource. I guess soldiers cant wait till our PSUs come with a decent gun. Didnt you comment "disappointing" on that carbine ???
I dont even want go there...
carbine- what else could I say....

HAL will never be privatise as you are thinking. The worst case scenario 49% that too if bailing them out goes out of reach of GOI.
Its about priorities too. Clearly GOI want HAL/DRDO for our forces and NOT forces for HAL/DRDO. They need to compliment each other. HAL as company might have their own goals and ambitions but that should not be over needs of forces.
Clearly GOI wants something? I am not sure if it is what you think it is? Now if start listing how MoD's actions dont match thier rhetoric, I will be up all night.... When OFB is made to sit on Bofor's design for 20 years without producing a gun, when 1700 T90's are ordered when Arjun has better potential, When no corrective actions are taken to develop small arms, when millions are poured into tatra-vectra when there are Auto Giants in the country, When the premier Avaition company which provides design input for freakin Isro's space program is kept out of developing LCA... I suspect MOD's actions dont line up with what you envisage of it

PS. I am well know HAL/DRDO hater but I too wont support rooting them out.
Lets wait for the report of committee set up to impore DRDO and HAL

mere bhai!... It's people like you and me who work/ed for HAL, DRDO, BHEL, BML, BHEL, OFB,and their frustrations are ten fold more than what you see in the forum....

We keep complaining about LCA, LCH, ALH, Trainers, not a peep comes out about the retard who sit in the south block.... every cent HAL spends on a project is under the scanner from the CVC and comptroller general.... do the same rule apply to south block?????

Well the MoD has woefully mismanaged the whole defense research and production sector in the country for decades now...ADA is a shining example of said harebrained idiocy..I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry when the ADA director stated that when they started the project they did not even know what product life cycle costs meant...:hang3:

This is where I bang my head.... we keep trying to fix the branches when the rot has set in the roots.... But then again what do I know.... MOD babus are right, we are wrong....

If I have to fight everyday on a defence forum to justify showing faith in the better knowledge of minds who run an organisation like HAL, imagine what the HAL management must go through in boardrooms in delhi.... leaders are a reflection of the people... if people are against trusting our own organisation then the actions of babus and leaders will lead to same fate....

Shortcut Zindabad!!!! if you cant beat them join them... so I say go ahead and ****ing sell all of them to highest bidders... No need for people to struggle anymore... sorry for getting philosophical, cant help it

Last edited:

Clearly GOI wants something? I am not sure if it is what you think it is? Now if start listing how MoD's actions dont match thier rhetoric, I will be up all night.... When OFB is made to sit on Bofor's design for 20 years without producing a gun, when 1700 T90's are ordered when Arjun has better potential, When no corrective actions are taken to develop small arms, when millions are poured into tatra-vectra when there are Auto Giants in the country, When the premier Avaition company which provides design input for freakin Isro's space program is kept out of developing LCA... I suspect MOD's actions dont line up with what you envisage of it

mere bhai!... It's people like you and me who work/ed for HAL, DRDO, BHEL, BML, BHEL, OFB,and their frustrations are ten fold more than what you see in the forum....

We keep complaining about LCA, LCH, ALH, Trainers, not a peep comes out about the retard who sit in the south block.... every cent HAL spends on a project is under the scanner from the CVC and comptroller general.... do the same rule apply to south block?????

This is where I bang my head.... we keep trying to fix the branches when the rot has set in the roots.... But then again what do I know.... MOD babus are right, we are wrong....

If I have to fight everyday on a defence forum to justify showing faith in the better knowledge of minds who run an organisation like HAL, imagine what the HAL management must go through in boardrooms in delhi.... leaders are a reflection of the people... if people are against trusting our own organisation then the actions of babus and leaders will lead to same fate....

Shortcut Zindabad!!!! if you cant beat them join them... so I say go ahead and ****ing sell all of them to highest bidders... No need for people to struggle anymore... sorry for getting philosophical, cant help it

Not to mention that many of our bigger private corporations have an extreme preference for screw driver giri and are not shy of endorsing backdoor imports- TATA being a very good example in many cases (although they have shown some good flare with ancillary projects involving TCS)..Yes random privatization will not help..not much will unless the MoD itself is "restructured" so to say..

That was a question indeed. I really am confused on that.

i don't know. You are a TTA small arms system ;) may be lets see how it works ;)
Ya I agree it look bad.

-Now GOI want results as expense is climbing and buy is becoming tough per year.
- a little correction MODs inactions. I think OFB is semi/ or autonomous. So nobody made them sit they choose to sit. Correct me if I am wrong.
- Arjun / T-90 issue has many dimensions right from corruption to ideology. Lets not go there here.
- let me be clear I am not defending GOI/MOD. They too are bunch of nut jobs and more likely to be corrupt.
- I was trying to point the main problem. DM changes for every term so is the Babu. And being democracy the guies there think (?) everything work like politics.

;)
I am hoping By south block you mean MOD. CAG did critisied MOD and IN for accepting US strings on "Jalashwa". Later Mod had to justify its decidsion in parliment.
Yes definatlry CVC & CAG scanner is for everybody. Even PMO isnt out of it. We actaully have a detailed CAG report presented every year in parliment.

You know what piss me about LCA project. DRDO make huge public claims then back off from it. Its not long that Saint Antony visited DRDO fro something and asked them to keep timeline drawn by themselves. Everything go good there and in 2 days Sarswat publicy said its not possible to keep it !!!! Then why the hell not deny Saint right there ???? And how come the new guy replacing him is managing timeline ??? Was Sarsvat inefficient or Mr. Chandar is better than him ???

Fault lies with all parties IAF including but nobody seem to have intrest in solving it.
About ADA - it was a mistake but HAL should have protested to MOD for giving them such import project and or helped ADA su moto. Lastly HAL is the one who has to produce so why not get involved right from start.

Last edited:
That was a question indeed. I really am confused on that.

i don't know. You are a TTA small arms system ;) may be lets see how it works ;)
Ya I agree it look bad.

-Now GOI want results as expense is climbing and buy is becoming tough per year.
- a little correction MODs inactions. I think OFB is semi/ or autonomous. So nobody made them sit they choose to sit. Correct me if I am wrong.
- Arjun / T-90 issue has many dimensions right from corruption to ideology. Lets not go there here.
- let me be clear I am not defending GOI/MOD. They too are bunch of nut jobs and more likely to be corrupt.
- I was trying to point the main problem. DM changes for every term so is the Babu. And being democracy the guies there think (?) everything work like politics.

;)

I am hoping By south block you mean MOD. CAG did critisied MOD and IN for accepting US strings on "Jalashwa". Later Mod had to justify its decidsion in parliment.
Yes definatlry CVC & CAG scanner is for everybody. Even PMO isnt out of it. We actaully have a detailed CAG report presented every year in parliment.

You know what piss me about LCA project. DRDO make huge public claims then back off from it. Its not long that Saint Antony visited DRDO fro something and asked them to keep timeline drawan by themselves. Everything go good there and in 2 days Sarswat publicy siad its not possible to keep it !!!! They why the hell not deny Saint it right there ???? And how come the new guy replacing him is managing timeline ??? Was Sarsvat inefficient or Mr. Chandar is better than him ???

Fault lies with all parties IAF including but nobody seem to have intrest in solving it.
About ADA - it was a mistake but HAL should have protested to MOD for giving them such import project and or helped ADA su moto.

OFB is NOT autonomous at all. It operates under the Department of Defence Production of the MoD, ergo one can and should hold the MoD (as the apex body) responsible for many things...including the OFB and its proclivities..not to mention that the MoD's policies and actions have made OFB what it is today (or rather what it isn't).

OFB is NOT autonomous at all. It operates under the Department of Defence Production of the MoD, ergo one can and should hold the MoD (as the apex body) responsible for many things...including the OFB and its proclivities..not to mention that the MoD's policies and actions have made OFB what it is today (or rather what it isn't).
Right and wrong at the same time. Thats why "semi" was there
OFB is Autonomous for day to day business , R&D and have own money to make prototype if not to produce. And I am 200% sure on that. Just don't ask why ;)

But you are right OFB need permission to start production.

OT...
5.56 x 30 mm for Msmc is going to be a sissy round.. with low velocity and lower terminal ballistics...
What happens when you cut down 5.56 x 45 (which already takes flak for being a weaker round) by 33%... with a 0.22" bullet diameter, you are relying on a pure higher velocity, now i remember Army calling for 5.56 forign vendor because OFB rounds were apparently not producing the intended velocity, god knows we will bungle up the 5.56 x 30

Right and wrong at the same time. Thats why "semi" was there
OFB is Autonomous for day to day business , R&D and have own money to make prototype if not to produce. And I am 200% sure on that. Just don't ask why ;)

But you are right OFB need permission to start production.

What R&D, 2-3 years back most of the OFB factories had no dedicated R&D branch and today a rare few do..which are yet to accrue research experience or trained manpower as such...who do you think frames their operational policies which dictate their day to day operations..:lol:

What R&D, 2-3 years back most of the OFB factories had no dedicated R&D branch and today a rare few do..which are yet to accrue research experience or trained manpower as such...who do you think frames their operational policies which dictate their day to day operations..:lol:
Where did I said anything about facilities :lol: I was talking about budget - money. Yes they do have "R&D" section in budget and allotted money .

MOD formulate the policies & set the targets NOT day to day business. If that would have been as ideal as you are saying Insas would have been a beast.

Day to day business is not the only Producing it include many things

Where did I said anything about facilities :lol: I was talking about budget - money. Yes they do have "R&D" section in budget and allotted money .

MOD formulate the policies & set the targets NOT day to day business. If that would have been as ideal as you are saying Insas would have been a beast.

Day to day business is not the only Producing it include many things

I am not disagreeing at all, budget provisions have long been provided for many things (albeit the absolute amount of money and resources provided has never been up to mark)..the point I am making is simple- that the OFB structure and apex management are under the MoD and ergo the macro level malaise which afflicts the OFB is the MoD's fault- while the poor shop floor level management is the specific factory staff and management's fault...

I am not disagreeing at all, budget provisions have long been provided for many things (albeit the absolute amount of money and resources provided has never been up to mark)..the point I am making is simple- that the OFB structure and apex management are under the MoD and ergo the macro level malaise which afflicts the OFB is the MoD's fault- while the poor shop floor level management is the specific factory staff and management's fault...
I am not disagreing either. All I want to say is the one sitting in his/her AC cabine in OFB is willing to see if the TOT he is sitting on works or not he doesnt not need persmission or money from MOD. Its all at his dispose. All he need is a willpower ;)

I am not disagreing either. All I want to say is the one sitting in his/her AC cabine in OFB is willing to see if the TOT he is sitting on works or not he doesnt not need persmission or money from MOD. Its all at his dispose. All he need is a willpower ;)

Yet he also has to tell the MoD where the money went and therein the MoD can happily intervene and stop the R&D cycle midway, after all when the concerned OFB factory submits its yearly account it would be in the middle of said R&D cycle (which can last for a couple of years), not to mention that the devil lies in the details- the R&D budget needs to provide for the necessary infra for said R&D and if not then the MoD needs to provide said infra..all of which escapes the MoD and its babus..its like handing over studs to a kid disabled from the waist down.

Not to mention that the MoD does keep tabs..the OFB folks are at the end of the day answerable and the MoD prefers to keep them constrained to scew-driver giri and nothing more.

The structural malaise first and then the rest, top down approach or else no enterprising OFB fellow will churn out anything no matter how gutsy he is.

In the perfect world Sancho !!! I do read your discussion with @Oscar. You have point but economics is not with you. Like it or not our forces will be the only major customer HAL will ever have.

I wouldn't mind that, since I want them to develop and build mainly for our forces of course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look to exports (small or big) to not only increase HALs profits, but to reduce unit and operational costs of LCA, Dhruv, LCH, LOH for example. The same reason why I would go for a partner country in the development of AMCA, instead doing it alone (which we can't) and only for our requirements.
However, marketing a made in India product is not easy and therefor a foreign partner with credibility and know how would be great to sell LCA but also to improve the general view of HAL in the aero field.

- HAL will not sell LCA under Israeli banner. More of a ego thing.

Hehe, but they don't have to. The product remains to be an Indian one and would be sold so, but having IAI for example as a partner, that would invest into the export version on the one side, but also gains from the profits on the other side would be a win win solution.

- If so , Israeli company doing "marketing" for HAL will be expecting befits and profits for them as well. Increase in cost.

You have an apple and try to sell it, but nobody buys it. Then I suggest to sell it to a friend of mine, with 25% of the profit for me. What's better, having 0 profit or 75% profit?

- Any country ( you mentioned in other thread ) will have very very small order.

Of course, HAL / India can only aim at countries with low budgets and requirements at the moment, especially at those that can't afford modern 4.5th gen fighters from other countries. Do you think we would have any chance in a competition against EADS, Dassault, LM, Boeing or Sukhoi? Not going to happen, so we have to find the niche, where cost advantages makes our products more interesting.
Another example could be Brazil currently, they want the Rafale as a fighter, but moreover the industrial and political advantages of the deal. However, at the current stage they might not be able to afford as many Rafales, as they might need to replace older fighters. That's where LCA MK2 with RBE 2 AESA, possibly the Damocles pod (produced by BEL), FSO-IT & Topsight HMS (produced by Samtel), in higher numbers and as a licence production in Brazil would come in handy. High commonality, between the fighters at lower unit and operational costs. They already use Derby and Python missiles, could integrate Rafales weapons if they want, although far more interesting for them and us, would be if they intgrate Brazilians weapons like A-Darter, MAR1...
If we would have fielded LCA MK2 we wouldn't had any chance, be it as a fighter, nor for political or industrial benefits. But the niche of being more cost-effective, while offering commonality to Rafale, or their currently available weapons and techs would be an interesting advantage.

- and major set back for Mark-1 is IAF saying it will never see combat duty. Why in world will any other airforce buy indian platform which indian airforce wont be using them-self ???

Says who? We have 2 squads on order, IAF insisted on flight and weapon tests (loaded flight tests) at high altitude areas, while these squads will be raised in the south, most likely for air policing and maritime attack roles. The idea that MK1 would not be capable enough, nor would not see combat duty is plain wrong, since we have other borders to protect than those to Pakistan and China, (although I would prefer if they would do the same under IN's control, but that's a different issue).

If you remember same arguments were made for Chinese planes. But I really don't know if they have succeed in selling any platform.

China is facing exactly the problems I meantioned, they have to join competitions, where Russians or US are offering fighters too, Myanmar, Serbia, maybe Egypt. So they have to compete not only on political level which they can, unlike us, but also on technical level, which they couldn't so far (J10A vs foreign counterparts). We would be as lost as they are, but that's where a foreign partner would make a huge difference in marketing, industrial and political advantages!
The best for LCA as a fighter would had been, if we had taken the chance and the offer of EADS, to develop and Advanced trainer of it, with the EJ 200 engine and jointly marketed. The whole fighter development would had been boosted, we would gain from PR and possible exports of the trainer, but also would have higher chances to sell LCA as a combat version. A huge chance that we missed there!

Anyway, the point was, there are other ways to gain money for HAL, than spreading shares around and there the aim must be to be more efficient anyway.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom