What's new

Gwadar Port has potential to turn Pakistan into ‘maritime power’

Another one of those day-dream projects.
These large scale projects don't just materialize over night, they can take decades to complete. Gwadar is on track, despite a few problems and delays.

Another one of those day-dream projects.

do you expect Karachi port to fulfill Pakistan's port needs when our import/export reach 200 billions
wise plan ahead while PTIers dream that problem will go away

I find it strange that some Pakistanis think that prosperity is achieved by building grand structures and projects all on their own. Metrobuses, x, y and z project. This will not suffice. When you take on a project, say the metrobus, you sit down, and ask the economic benefits and viability with budget, very first thing you consider, what will the metrobus bring apart from the novel idea of something new and exciting? Is it going to increase economic activity, efficiency? Will the local economy benefit? What is the opportunity cost, of both the money, time and other resources used in building, using and maintaining such a project. This is something I found, our politicians, no matter who they are can't seem to grasp, as if forcing down market prices to provide 'relief' to rather ridiculous demands will bring about actual, sustainable prosperity.

Every project we undertake must be done with a few things in mind, prosperity, profit, returns, viability and need. We can build billions of dollars worth of bullet trains between one village and the other. Does that fix our problems? Far from it, it's actually a massive waste of money and a waste of debt that the future consumer will have to pay off.

There are some terrible inefficiencies in projects, I know people always cite corruption, which is almost absolute destruction of funds, but inefficiency is harder spot and much, much harder to fix. I've always said, Pak politicians, even if their hearts were in the right place, they still would fail, they aren't competent in these matters. We have an accountant in charge of the exchequer, what kind of backward nation does that?

But on Gwadar, it's really what you make it, the Chinese wont fix underlying problems that might keep Gwadar from reaching it's full potential, throwing money at it, without real understanding won't fix anything either. This is something investors understand, so it's really no surprise that investors fled Pakistan as if it were a sinking ship.

Some very serious thought needs to be given to efficiency, sustainability, and optimum management of a such a simple economy. And yes, Pakistan's economic troubles aren't nearly as complicated as they seem, some very small steps, some very painful steps need to be taken to ensure prosperity in the long run. But nothing is happening, and the opposition gives me no hope either, clogging the capital for weeks on end, investors flee, markets react poorly, economic activity severely blocked, and then go on demanding some artificial and unsustainable form of relief for the poorest, that too to be paid off in debt.

It's a hopeless situation with such simple solutions.
No offense, and I'm being genuine here, I have no idea what your point is. Can you simplify it down please? Because your comment seems like you're all over the place.

No offense, and I'm being genuine here, I have no idea what your point is. Can you simplify it down please? Because your comment seems like you're all over the place.

It's an abstract thing I'm talking about. And yes I am all over the place. The main argument being made there is that Pakistanis and their representatives have the wrong idea on what it means to be prosperous and how to bring about economic prosperity.

We feel a great sense of entitlement as citizens but cannot pay our way for said entitlement as consumers. We expect prosperity to fall right out of the sky without the foundations on which it is built upon elsewhere. This mindset runs deep, and it's no wonder then that some politicians get the idea that announcing these grand projects actually change anything from the bottom up. As if prosperity will be achieved if one or two over the top projects are built with no prior sound evaluation as to their need, viability and general pros and cons.

Pakistanis need to elect and support visionaries who can see past these big named projects, and they need to be willing to make small but painful sacrifices for the sake of real economic prosperity and efficiency on which it is built upon.

It's an abstract thing I'm talking about. And yes I am all over the place. The main argument being made there is that Pakistanis and their representatives have the wrong idea on what it means to be prosperous and how to bring about economic prosperity.

We feel a great sense of entitlement as citizens but cannot pay our way for said entitlement as consumers. We expect prosperity to fall right out of the sky without the foundations on which it is built upon elsewhere. This mindset runs deep, and it's no wonder then that some politicians get the idea that announcing these grand projects actually change anything from the bottom up. As if prosperity will be achieved if one or two over the top projects are built with no prior sound evaluation as to their need, viability and general pros and cons.

Pakistanis need to elect and support visionaries who can see past these big named projects, and they need to be willing to make small but painful sacrifices for the sake of real economic prosperity and efficiency on which it is built upon.
I can agree with that, but I do have to say that it is easier said than done. To change the mind of a nation requires a great event, or a great leader, so far none neither has happened. Imran Khan was the closest we got, but it's clear that he will not be the one to bring about great change.

I can agree with that, but I do have to say that it is easier said than done. To change the mind of a nation requires a great event, or a great leader, so far none neither has happened. Imran Khan was the closest we got, but it's clear that he will not be the one to bring about great change.

I agree. Curing the ills of the Pakistani economy, or at least picking a starting point is no big task based solely on the technicality of what needs to be done.

But for us to produce people and leaders who can think in this way before we set off to achieve prosperity, that's exceedingly difficult. But one small start is to remove that accountant from his role in the exchequer, you need an economist, someone who has studied development economics too.

And I agree, IK is as close as we got, but I think PTI's message in this regard was only better because of the relative freedom and involvement of youth. Economics graduates in their ranks, some basic truths they accepted, and their ideas sound. But I have little hope for the leadership and any real change.

The biggest hurdle for Gwadar to ever becoming an international hub is rather unsolvable at the moment. Take the example of refueling the ships. Does Gwadar have an oil pipeline and an oil refinery for the job? Because the last I remember Pakistan cancelled Iranian offer of building an oil pipeline and refinery there (despite the fact that Gwadar is actually connected to Iran's national grid and not Pakistan's). Until you can not refuel the ships, how can you expect the ships to visit the port?

We also need to end this belief that our troubles will come to an end through some heroic messiah from a far-away land who with a snap of his fingers, will turn us into hard-working comrades prepared to toil away until our nation becomes a superpower. We can't keep waiting for a politician to pull us out of the swamp. We've got to do it ourselves. The upper or middle class could have a huge role in transforming this country by taking small steps to improve our system.

Pakistan must build its navy simple as that , Gwadar becoming a major port ,hub and this and that won't do jack unless you have a proper and decent size navy to protect it . " Protect your assists and your investors assists simple as that " want to do business then be able to show that you can safe guard it the right way simply. I wish PN and the gov't all the best in doing great things for Gwadar and for Pakistan it's time we put our mark on the map.

“China has pledged $52 billion for infrastructure projects in Pakistan, of which $32bn is to be spent exclusively on energy projects in the next five years. If this materialises, Pakistan will become one of the largest recipients of Chinese outbound investment,” said Mustafa Hyder Sayed, executive director of the Pakistan-China Institute, while presenting his paper titled “Pakistan and the Maritime Silk Route

Good news for pakistan seems to be really heavy investment by china . That is why we need china they have got money and they have got skill in development and plus they have got weapons ........pakistan enjoys its relationship with china ...:china::pakistan:

The biggest hurdle for Gwadar to ever becoming an international hub is rather unsolvable at the moment. Take the example of refueling the ships. Does Gwadar have an oil pipeline and an oil refinery for the job? Because the last I remember Pakistan cancelled Iranian offer of building an oil pipeline and refinery there (despite the fact that Gwadar is actually connected to Iran's national grid and not Pakistan's). Until you can not refuel the ships, how can you expect the ships to visit the port?

The Iranian offer would have been accepted if Iran wasn't under sanctions.

I think what he is saying is do not do anything and instead of providing jobs to some 500 families; in case of metro; distribute that money among people Like Benazir income fund, same with all mega projects and Gawadar port. I think he listened too much of Hasan Nisar and Sheikh Rasheed who would crap on everything without any constructive suggestions. What these anti mega project people dont understand is that in country where no foreign investors are willing to invest and local investor are also shying away not doing anything by the govt is not an option, We tried not doing anything in 5 years of PPP and that didnt work either.

Their other objection is that in a country where people are not getting education and health care should not spend money of these mega project on borrowed money and instead that borrowed money be used to provide education and healthcare. We have tried that too since 1970, Govt provided health care and education without any income generating project and now see what is the condition of those health care and education projects.

If all the projects including Gawadar and China Pakistan coridore becomes the reality on the borrowed USD 35 bilion, that will change the fate of this country. Or you can invest borrowed USD 35 billion and spend it on education and health care then 10 years from now we can borrow more.

When a man and woman marry and decide to create a family their first need is infrastructure, a house to live and some sort of wheels to travel to and from job, once that is secured now we can give our kids education and take him for doctors visit. Right now what people need is a house and means to travel so they can secure a living.

Gawadar needs Infrastructure as currently the only Connection of Gawadar to the rest of Pakistan is through Coastal Highway that reaches Karachi and then to rest of Pakistan. What is the point of having an highway which connects two Sea Ports because in the end of the day why would any Ship going to unload at Gawadar when they have Karachi port connected with rest of Pakistan by Road and by Rail both. That is why Gawadar is still not started Functioning and that need to change by hook or by crook either those Miscreants in Baluchistan want it or not. Following should be done first to get Gawadar Running:

1. Connect it with Multan(connect it at Sukker with Sukker-Khi road) and Quetta(connecting it to Sibi Point of Khi-Qta road) at least.

2. 3-5 years after Port started utilizing Sizable Capacity Railway lines should started laid down till Nearest Dry Port.

3. All those Roads need to be handed over to either Army or separate Force that should be built to protect Infrastructure.

Motorway M-8 will connect Gwader with rest of the Pakistan. After that Gwader port will finally be ''completed'' this year.

We also need to end this belief that our troubles will come to an end through some heroic messiah from a far-away land who with a snap of his fingers, will turn us into hard-working comrades prepared to toil away until our nation becomes a superpower. We can't keep waiting for a politician to pull us out of the swamp. We've got to do it ourselves. The upper or middle class could have a huge role in transforming this country by taking small steps to improve our system.
The upper and middle class are too busy fighting each other that in fact, Pakistan may end up needing some sort of knight in shining armor to take control of the situation. Mind you, I'm not taking about any sort of coup.

Back
Top Bottom