What's new

Gurkhas in the Indian Army - images and information

no, I'm pretty sure I have a clear idea of what Indians look like....

In ur case,pretty sure isnt sure enough.

These are gurkha troops who are people from Nepal and northern(north eastern) region of India.

They are of Mongoloid racial category so they have similar features like the chinese or other southeast asian ppl.

P.S:There were of rumours about indian gurkhas fighting pakistani army along with the Talibans spread in the pakistani media by conspiracy theorists who potrayed dead uzbek or hazara fighters as indian gurkhas since they share similar mongoloid facial attributes .

I've had the pleasure of meeting some of these fine men who have fought for the British army.

If anyone is doubt of there abilities a full company of Gurkhas is used to train potential British army officers acting as the enemy for all exercises.

i find that hard to believe

"no, I'm pretty sure I have a clear idea of what Indians look like...."

No. The fact that you asked the below question and the manner in which it was asked clearly indicated that you DON'T know what "Indians" look like-

"why does [sic] the soldiers in the pictures look like they are from Indonesia and Phillipines, are you sure they are from India..."

Rope yourself in newbie. At this point you're the outlier here with much to prove-most of all your credibility as a responsible poster. Right now that credibility is defining new horizons to the term "nil".

If you're attempting to find some provocative venue to display your "cultural awareness", do so elsewhere as you've already failed that test here. I've got to live with the B.S. YOU stir and I've no intention to do so.

Nepalese and Indian Ghurkas often display mongol features. Some don't. As for what an Indian looks like, well that you profess to know tells me you've no clue...

...so quit waving MY flag around and attaching MY nation to your patently malformed B.S.

May you live in interesting times...:angry:

No. The fact that you asked the below question and the manner in which it was asked clearly indicated that you DON'T know what "Indians" look like-

"why does [sic] the soldiers in the pictures look like they are from Indonesia and Phillipines, are you sure they are from India..."

Rope yourself in newbie. At this point you're the outlier here with much to prove-most of all your credibility as a responsible poster. Right now that credibility is defining new horizons to the term "nil".

If you're attempting to find some provocative venue to display your "cultural awareness", do so elsewhere as you've already failed that test here. I've got to live with the B.S. YOU stir and I've no intention to do so.

Nepalese and Indian Ghurkas often display mongol features. Some don't. As for what an Indian looks like, well that you profess to know tells me you've no clue...

...so quit waving MY flag around and attaching MY nation to your patently malformed B.S.

May you live in interesting times...

isnt it a chinese curse?

To Tyler.

India is a vast country often called a Sub continent. Its that big.

It borders China to the North and naturally Nepal.

Gurkhas have always served in the indian Army since the days of the british empire... Naturally they look oriental thats because they are from Nepal.

If you doubt they are indian just check the INSAS rifles they are are carrying which is indian.

Or google search Indian republic day parade. You will see Regiments from Gurkhas to Sikhs to Rajputs all looking distinctively different. They all form part of the largest professional (meaning non conscript) Army in the world.

"isnt it a chinese curse?"

So I've been told. Now it's an American curse as well.

no, I'm pretty sure I have a clear idea of what Indians look like....

Mr. Tyler world of seeing Indians is made of lots of gujaraties and AP (Andhra pradesh for Mr. tyler):D

and I shall live in interesting times, but for whatever reason you shall always find me under this flag, my dear chinese friend :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
Mr. Tyler world of seeing Indians is made of lots of gujaraties and AP (Andhra pradesh for Mr. tyler):D

To Tyler.

India is a vast country often called a Sub continent. Its that big.

It borders China to the North and naturally Nepal.

Gurkhas have always served in the indian Army since the days of the british empire... Naturally they look oriental thats because they are from Nepal.

If you doubt they are indian just check the INSAS rifles they are are carrying which is indian.

Or google search Indian republic day parade. You will see Regiments from Gurkhas to Sikhs to Rajputs all looking distinctively different. They all form part of the largest professional (meaning non conscript) Army in the world.

I fully appreciate your kindly answer, unlike other.....hostile, mocking replies:usflag:

Last edited:
ORIGIN:
Impressed by the fighting qualities displayed by the Gorkhas during the Gurkha War, Sir David Ochterlony was quick to realise the potential of the Gorkhas in the British Indian Army. Until then, Gorkha defectors were generally used as irregular forces. In April 1815, the first battalion of the Gorkha Regiment, was raised as the Nasiri regiment. This regiment later became the 1st King George’s Own Gurkha Rifles, and saw action at the Maulun fort under Lieutenant Lawtie.

They were instrumental in the expansion of the British East India Company throughout the subcontinent. The Gorkhas took part in the Anglo-Sikh wars, Afghan wars, and in suppressing the Indian Rebellion of 1857. Throughout these years, the British continued to recruit the Gorkhas and kept increasing the number of Gorkha regiments.

By the time First World War started, there were 11 Gorkha regiments under the British Indian Army. The Gorkha regiments played a vital role in the Commonwealth armies during both the World Wars seeing action everywhere from Monte Cassino in the west to Rangoon in the east, earning Battle Honours everywhere. As a testament to the psychological factors of the Gorkha regiments on the enemies, during the North African campaign, the German army were really fearful of the Gorkha's wielding their khukris during battles.

The pic @ post No 56 appears to that of Gurkhas of the Nepal Army, medals are not worn by the IA on combat dress, the medals shown are not of the IA either.

No they are gorkha war veterns of 9 gorkha regiment !!!

You sure ?

The formation sign worn on the left arm below the shoulder does not appear to be indian, neither do the metal shoulder titles on the epaulette.

Back
Top Bottom