What's new

Gurkhas in the Indian Army - images and information

You sure ?
The formation sign worn on the left arm below the shoulder does not appear to be indian, neither do the metal shoulder titles on the epaulette.
yupp... I remember seeing it somewhere !!! But you have made some good observations.

Great work beckham.

Gurkhas are truly the bravest of the brave. The British had famously said of the Gurkhas - " If a person has no fear, he could either be God or a Gurkha". No wonder the British still retain them in their army.

By the way this thread seems to have been taken quiet well by our Pakistani friends here (compared to their normal reaction to anything Indian). So why don't we introduce them to other infantry regiments of the Indian Army.

Last edited:
Great work beckham.
Gurkhas are truly the bravest of the brave. The British had famously said of the Gurkhas - " If a person has no fear, he could either be God or a Gurkha". No wonder the British still retain them in their army.
By the way this thread seems to have been taken quiet well by our Pakistani friends here (compared to their normal reaction to anything Indian. So why don't we introduce them to other infantry regiments of the Indian Army.
i would love to do that ,but our armed forces are notoriously photo shy... Its very hard to find some quality pictures !

And yet it is one of the most ancient civilization who has fallen under a country not even one tenth of its size for over one hundred years, and still one of the most ancient civilization that develop the notorious caste system, and it is one of the most ancient civilization again that has one third of its population not knowing how to read and the rest that live in poverty,

and you choose this one most ancient civilization to evidence my savageness and ignorance, bravo!!

but one thing I don't understand is that how is one simple, harmless question

"why does the soldiers in the pictures look like they are from Indonesia and Phillipines, are you sure they are from India"

arouse such anger

and how do you smoothly substitute your whole race to my comment and advice

"if you don't like it, maybe next time you will find the word "civilize" and "polite" handy"

that was specifically dedicated to Mr. gubbi

Mr. gubbi was searching for animosity and hostility, therefore I granted his wish

and you, my friend, had just proven what you have denied, your hidden barbaric nature despite you are a member of one the most ancient civilization

all I have to say is Bravo!!! :usflag:

even the No.1 Nation is also in their hands. dont forget JULY 4:enjoy::toast_sign:

I've had the pleasure of meeting some of these fine men who have fought for the British army.

If anyone is doubt of there abilities a full company of Gurkhas is used to train potential British army officers acting as the enemy for all exercises.

Interesting, I once read that Britain used a battalion or more of Gurkhas in the Falkland war against Argentina, and as soon as the Argentinian forces heard of this news (arrival of the Gurkhas) they fled and retreated and eventually surrendered.

Here is an interesting excerpt of Gurkha involvement in the Falkland war. I know it's not the Indian Army Gurkhas but sorry for going off topic...It's very interesting news.

"The Gurkhas’ action in the Falkland Island added another chapter to their legend. Perhaps the Gurkhas was raised by the Argentine press, which belittled them as a cross between dwarfs and mountain goats. Argentine troops guarding Port Stanley may have heard rumor about Khukuri decapitations of troop opposing the Gurkhas in other campaigns. For as the Gurkhas advanced on Argentina positions, the South America troops "tuned and field." according to a British news paper report. The BBC reported that "The Argentines dropped theirs rifles and abandoned mortars and machine guns"."

Source: Nepalese Khukuri House : The brave Gurkhas

"Under Brigadier Thompson (pictured below at an earlier stage in the campaign), 2 Para moved off along the Stanley road followed later by 3 Para; 42 Cdo shortly flew forward from Mount Harriet and marched towards Stanley; and 45 Cdo yomped from Two Sisters for Sapper Hill. By nightfall all of 3 Cdo Bde was close to the capital. With 5th Infantry, the Gurkhas were ready to make a daylight attack on Mount William, but the Argentines disappeared and D Coy moved onto the summit that morning without any opposition. Meanwhile the Welsh Guards were delayed by minefields on their way to Sapper Hill, but then flew in with A and C Coys 40 Cdo to face slight enemy resistance just as 45 Cdo showed up."

Source: Stanley, Wireless Ridge, Tumbledown, Mount William in Falklands War 1982

One hundred ninetyone recruits passed out from the Brigade of Guards Regimental Centre, Kamptee at a colourful and impressive passing-out parade.

Brig AK Chaudhary laying a wreath at the war memorial. The 57th raising day of 11 Gorkha Rifles Regimental Centre (GRRC)
attestation parade of jawans of 5 Gorkha Rifles (Frontier Force) and 8 Gorkha Rifles and the remaining 100 recruits belonged to
assam rifles

:mps:Changing of the Guard Ceremony :thinktank:

(copyright Husein.)

This time, of the Changing of the Guard Ceremony at India's Rashtrapati Bhavan (Presidential Palace), the official residence of the President of India. These pictures are rather recent, taken on Jan 4, 2008.

Steeped in Indian Military traditions from both ancient India as well as the Indian Army's colonial heritage, the Changing of the Guards ceremony dates back several hundred years. The ceremony features The President's Bodyguard, the Indian Army's oldest and senior most regiment, as well as India's Household Calvary regiment, raised in 1773 and with traditions dating back over a hundred years earlier, as well as soldiers from the Rajputana Rifles, India's senior most rifles regiment, raised in 1775.

Soldiers of the band and marching contingents are assigned from different regiments for duty over a short period of time in rotation. It is considered an especial honor for the regiment and is a matter of great pride. The following pictures of the ceremony, the Regimental Contingent features soldiers from the Assam Regiment , one of India's youngest but one of the most decorated infantry regiments, which was raised in 1941 and is composed of soldiers from and draws traditions from the India's northeast states.

The Changing of the Guards ceremony takes place every morning, but on Saturday mornings a larger traditional ceremony is held. At 0615, amid the sounds of martial music, the marching of footsteps and beating of hoofs arising from within the complex, the new Guard detachment comprising a contingent of an Indian Army Regiment (in this case, Assam Rifles), Rajputana Rifles and the mounted troops of The President's Bodyguard, accompanied by the regimental brass band, emerges on to Rajpath, marching to the strains of "Vijay Bharat," while the Old Guard marches off to "Sare Jahan Se Achha"

The two Guards meet and compliments are paid by the New Guard, who assumes charge. The Old Guard marches off along with the band playing "Amar Jawan."/B]

The marching out of the New Guard:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom