What's new

Guardian-India's shoot-to-kill policy on the Bangladesh border

integra

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Indian-Border-Security-Fo-007.jpg

An Indian border guard standing alert as a farmer leads her cow alongside fencing marking the India-Bangladesh border in the village of Jaypur, west of Agartala.
Brad Adams
Guardian.co.uk

Do good fences make good neighbours? Not along the India-Bangladesh border. Here, India has almost finished building a 2,000km fence. Where once people on both sides were part of a greater Bengal, now India has put up a "keep out" sign to stop illegal immigration, smuggling and infiltration by anti-government militants.

This might seem unexceptional in a world increasingly hostile to migration. But to police the border, India's Border Security Force (BSF), has carried out a shoot-to-kill policy – even on unarmed local villagers. The toll has been huge. Over the past 10 years Indian security forces have killed almost 1,000 people, mostly Bangladeshis, turning the border area into a south Asian killing fields. No one has been prosecuted for any of these killings, in spite of evidence in many cases that makes it clear the killings were in cold blood against unarmed and defenceless local residents.

Shockingly, some Indian officials endorse shooting people who attempt to cross the border illegally, even if they are unarmed. Almost as shocking is the lack of interest in these killings by foreign governments who claim to be concerned with human rights. A single killing by US law enforcement along the Mexican border makes headlines. The killing of large numbers of villagers by Indian forces has been almost entirely ignored.

The violence is routine and arbitrary. Alauddin Biswas described to Human Rights Watch the killing of his 24-year-old nephew, who was suspected of cattle rustling, by Indian border guards in March 2010. "The BSF had shot him while he was lying on his back. They shot him in the forehead. If he was running away, he would have been shot in the back. They just killed him." The BSF claimed self-defence, but no weapons were recovered.

Nazrul Islam, a Bangladeshi, was luckier. "At around 3am we decided to cross the Indian border," he said. He was headed to India to smuggle cows back to Bangladesh. "As soon as the BSF saw us, they started firing without warning." Islam was shot in his arm, but survived.

Some of the victims have been children. One father recounted how his sons were beaten by BSF officers. "The BSF personnel surrounded the boys and without giving any reason started beating them with rifle *****, kicking and slapping them. There were nine soldiers, and they beat my sons mercilessly. Even as the boys fell down, the BSF men continued to kick them ruthlessly on their chest and other sensitive organs."

The border has long been crossed routinely by local people for trade and commerce. It is also crossed by relatives and friends separated by a line arbitrarily drawn by the British during partition in 1947. As with the Mexican border in the United States, the border has become an emotive issue in Indian politics, as millions of Bangladeshis now live in India illegally. Many are exploited as cheap labour.

India has the right to impose border controls. But India does not have the right to use lethal force except where strictly necessary to protect life. Yet some Indian officials openly admit that unarmed civilians are being killed. The head of the BSF, Raman Srivastava, says that people should not feel sorry for the victims, claiming that since these individuals were illegally entering Indian territory, often at night, they were "not innocent" and therefore were a legitimate target.

Though India is a state with functional courts, he apparently believes the BSF can act as judge, jury and executioner. This approach also ignores the many victims, such as a 13-year-old named Abdur Rakib, who broke no law and was killed simply because he was near the fence. Sadly, Bangladeshi border officials have also suggested that such killings are acceptable if the victim was engaged in smuggling.

As the recent WikiLeaks report about endemic torture in Kashmir underscores, Indian soldiers and police routinely commit human rights violations without any consequences. Permission has to be granted by a senior Indian official for the police to even begin an investigation into a crime committed by a member of the security forces, such as the BSF. This rarely happens.

The response of various government officials to allegations of a shoot-to-kill policy has been confusing: we do shoot illegal border crossers since they are lawbreakers; we don't shoot border crossers; we only shoot in self-defence; we never shoot to kill.

But there is some reason for hope. Under pressure, senior Indian officials have expressed revulsion at the behaviour of the BSF and have promised to send new orders to end the shoot-to-kill policy. They have committed to use nonviolent means to apprehend illegal border crossers or smugglers where they pose no risk to life. The question is whether this will be translated into action on the ground. Similar promises of "zero tolerance" for abuses have been made in Kashmir and elsewhere but have not been fulfilled.

As India's economy has grown and foreign investors have flocked in, its human rights record has largely flown under the radar in recent years. But India is a growing world power with increasing influence. It should understand that its behaviour will come under increasing scrutiny. Routinely shooting poor, unarmed villagers is not how the world's largest democracy should behave.

Last edited:
electrifying sounds better than killing....though i dont understand why people after repeated warning of instent killing still go near the fence......
and apparently somebody got shot for lieing near the fence,its bad enough going near the fence but lying near it ?!?!?!

Nazrul Islam, a Bangladeshi, was luckier. "At around 3am we decided to cross the Indian border," he said. He was headed to India to smuggle cows back to Bangladesh. "As soon as the BSF saw us, they started firing without warning." Islam was shot in his arm, but survived.

so sad, he should've been treat with garland and given early breakfast.What BS of article is this from the Guardian of the left.

U guys will never understand...?
once again i'll explain simple logic..

Don't cross border...

Keep distance from the border as international rule says.....
Then u'll be safe and fine...

If u try to cross border and smuggle cattles,
The BSF has every right to shoot...

But the problem is every time BSF shoots,person gets killed....
I think BSF knows onlt to shoot to kill, not
shoot to dance

A single killing by US law enforcement along the Mexican border makes headlines. The killing of large numbers of villagers by Indian forces has been almost entirely ignored.

Now the 2 lines from the article make sense,that we should also ignore the news,meanwhile agree with desi jatt,first electrification,then shoot.:sniper:

Point to be noted is that despite all the risk of being shot dead without any chance of mercy, still B'deshis are taking this risk. What does that say?

To MODS:

I am not saying this because I am a Pakistani, but shouldn't people be reprimanded in some way, for so nonchalantly endorsing and celebrating the loss of human life?

Last edited:
To MODS:

I am not saying this because I am a Pakistani, but shouldn't people be reprimanded in some way, for so non nonchalantly endorsing and celebrating the loss of human life?

Nobody is endorsing loss of human life, but why will you go knowing very well that you may get shot?
I am sick of the complains, I expect BDR to jointly patrol border with BSF. Also pay for the fence, as it stops the narcotics and others smuggling from India as BD members suggest.

Nobody is endorsing loss of human life, but why will you go knowing very well that you may get shot?
I am sick of the complains, I expect BDR to jointly patrol border with BSF. Also pay for the fence, as it stops the narcotics and others smuggling from India as BD members suggest.

This is not the point pal. People murder,rape,rob,kidnap and commit many other crimes knowing very well that if caught, they will face severe consequences. The point is, is it justified to adopt a Shoot on Sight policy even for the unarmed civilians?

Pakistani and Indian fishermen regularly cross over into each others territories by mistake while fishing. What do you suggest we do to them? Shoot on Sight or continue with the sane and legal procedure that is to detain,verify and deport them back to their country of origin.

I sincerely hope that you and my other Indian friends are able to come out of their belligerent fetish, and see the brutality in just simply shooting a person, even a teenage girl tangled in barbed wire.

This is not the point pal. People murder,rape,rob,kidnap and commit many other crimes knowing very well that if caught, they will face severe consequences. The point is, is it justified to adopt a Shoot on Sight policy even for the unarmed civilians?

and for every crime there is a punishment. But when it comes to issues like international border, it makes sense to protect the nation from smugglers and terrorists trying to sneak in through the border...when someone tries to cross the border, illegally, he/she does not send a motification to BSF that thay are innocent citizens trying to illegally sneak in..so anyone trying to infiltrate faces equal consequences. Moreover, every nation has the right to protect its nation.I will not complain if BD does same with Indian trying to sneak in to BD through the same border.

Pakistani and Indian fishermen regularly cross over into each others territories by mistake while fishing. What do you suggest we do to them? Shoot on Sight or continue with the sane and legal procedure that is to detain,verify and deport them back to their country of origin.

crossing internation water by MISTAKE. is that what you are saying. well, then there is no intention of sneaking into one aother's country. this is a huge difference buddy.

I sincerely hope that you and my other Indian friends are able to come out of their belligerent fetish, and see the brutality in just simply shooting a person, even a teenage girl tangled in barbed wire.

its sad !! but I guess, its time, that BD takes some steps from its side to prevent its citizen from crossing over the international sensitive border...especially when India is already suffering from millions of illegal immigrants and the problem of over sized population.

I don't know why I keep getting shocked by their attitude. When you see this type of arrogant attitudes, you can easily understand why Indians have groups like Maoist, ULFA and what not who wants to get rid of them.
This type of attitudes welcomes the radical minded people to form and out throw your govt.

It is so brutal and insensitive guys. If the people are innocent they shouldn't be killed. If you look at them as individuals, they are just poor people trying to find a living, so desperate that they risk their lives to cross it.
But from the article, it looks like BDR also supports killing of smugglers. The only way forward is to workout a joint patrol system and using nonlethal arms.

Well because of this barbarians
our BDR went berserk for once
well I wud say only once 'cos others were skirmishes .....
and what happened?
16 Bsf fags were killed and they were screaming
that BDR commited war crimes and demanded trial.

Bunch of cowards, we just practice our patience
as any civilized country would. There are always illegals from india,myanmar who also comes in to smuggle stuffs and work. Sometimes they are captured and deported but never killed.
And this indians are cheer leading their pet BSF.
Can you guys tell me a single country in this forum
who actually likes you? Pathetic.........

(this post is not directed to the sensible
indians well if theres any left that is)

Back
Top Bottom