What's new

Growing up in Lahore

You people have lot of free time at your disposal.. :P

Who can forget the teen years of life. Especially when this time passed in city like Lahore

I spent 16 years of my life in Lahore..
After that I went to Canada!

I will tell you one of the most amusing story about me!

I was around 13 years old when I got to know the famous "phadda culture" of Lahore. At that time I was busy making "strong" friends and so on.
I remember the last say in Lahore before going to Canada when a guy called me saying that "ullu ka patha tujhe hum airport nahi janay dien ga...beta tu hamay janta nahi hai..hamari bahut strong back hai..tu model town mien retha hai na" the guy really had strong back political and police wise...
He somehow traced the home address which was on my sim card but the adress there was not mine...it was a fake address :)
Anyways, I called few people which were mutual friends and told him to "shut" his mouth....
At that time it was really amusing for me to get into that stuff. However, now I realize the mistakes I did in the past. "Phadda culture" there at that time was at all times high...
I hope that now people are more mentally literate than before!

People from every school i.e. Aitchison, LGS, Beaconhouse, FC etc
^^ I hope that students are more morally and socially active now!

Last edited:
there is the same "phuda culture" in Karachi too. Nothing new about it but i am now going to annoy everybody and say that no matter what Karachi is far far better than lahore. :flame::flame: :p:P
All Karachites out there unite!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Lahore too but spent most of my life in Jhang,,, ppl in every city have some "خوشفهمياں" about themselves,,,

Like Lahoris think they are better Phaday Baaz than others,,,Like, After a car accident I saw a person trying to intimidate other by bragging that he was from Lahore other person told him that he was also Lahoree... :bounce:,,, Completely wrong superiority complex,,, I have seen worst Phaddas in Jhang,, I myself have had couple of phaday with "پھوکے" Lahoriyays...

Also , Lahoris believe that they like eating more than others,,, I've seen more "کھابے" in Jhang than Lahore...!!!
(I'm mentioning Jhang just coz I don't have any other city's experience,,, NOT to talk BIG of Jhang!!!)

So all pakistan is more or less the same,,, All of us like to eat,,, all of us like to Rumble,,, All of us are lazy,,, Many of our women r overweight :woot: we r all equal...

Last edited:
I live in Lahore too but spent most of my life in Jhang,,, ppl in every city have some "خوشفهمياں" about themselves,,,

Like Lahoris think they are better Phaday Baaz than others,,,Like, After a car accident I saw a person trying to intimidate other by bragging that he was from Lahore other person told him that he was also Lahoree... :bounce:,,, Completely wrong superiority complex,,, I have seen worst Phaddas in Jhang,, I myself have had couple of phaday with "پھوکے" Lahoriyays...

Also , Lahoris believe that they like eating more than others,,, I've seen more "کھابے" in Jhang than Lahore...!!!
(I'm mentioning Jhang just coz I don't have any other city's experience,,, NOT to talk BIG of Jhang!!!)

So all pakistan is more or less the same,,, All of us like to eat,,, all of us like to Rumble,,, All of us are lazy,,, Many of our women r overweight :woot: we r all equal...

Please no offense. We heard all these comments from boarders who come from other cities.
They compare Lahore with their native cities and pour all types of criticizing stories on Lahore.

After graduation whether they get job or not in Lahore but hardly they leave Lahore.

No offense again, but it looks ......

There are many wonderful and socially sophisticated things about Lahore to talk about... the tangent these last few posts have taken is not unique to Lahore or any other city for that matter. This is just how immature people who don't have their hormones under control behave in any part of the world. Let's not make the discussion crude.

An evening watching Polo at the Aibak grounds, coffee shakes and engaging conversation at Nadia's cafe, watching Bram Stoker's Dracula at Alhamra Arts Council, checking out the latest oils and sculpture at the Galleries off MM Alam, riding at the Cavalry Grounds and basant in a haveli in the Walled City... now that's Lahore :-)

There are many wonderful and socially sophisticated things about Lahore to talk about... the tangent these last few posts have taken is not unique to Lahore or any other city for that matter. This is just how immature people who don't have their hormones under control behave in any part of the world. Let's not make the discussion crude.

An evening watching Polo at the Aibak grounds, coffee shakes and engaging conversation at Nadia's cafe, watching Bram Stoker's Dracula at Alhamra Arts Council, checking out the latest oils and sculpture at the Galleries off MM Alam, riding at the Cavalry Grounds and basant in a haveli in the Walled City... now that's Lahore :-)

Thats something i miss the most, i am extremely frustrated over the fact that Basant has been banned and no steps are being taken to remove this ban. Those days are still fresh in my mind when i would specially go to Mochi Darwaza and buy good quality of Dors and Kites. Skies filled with kites and music blasting from every house uplifts the spirit of our beloved city. The entire city was decorated and tourists from all around the world would visit our beloved city to get a taste of Basant. No matter where you would go, whether its Iqbal Town or Androon Shehr. Skies would be filled with kites and people celebrating in every corner of the city. I miss Basant :cry:

P.S. Phadas are part of Lahori culture :D, every Lahori goes through this phase but eventually it dies down as you get older.

Hey let's be all-inclusive and go a bit low on "sophistication" per se? Not everyone can share stories about drinks at a coffee place on M.M. Alam Road or the like.

Games one played on the streets in Lahore as a kid... anyone?

How did you forget to mention Cuckoo's Den?
;)

Never heard about Nadia's cafe!
:confused:

Please no offense. We heard all these comments from boarders who come from other cities.
They compare Lahore with their native cities and pour all types of criticizing stories on Lahore.

After graduation whether they get job or not in Lahore but hardly they leave Lahore.

No offense again, but it looks ......
Accidently stumbled upon this thread... :)
-

Hi Murshad,,, none taken buddy...
Ppl don't leave Lahore for other reasons,,, it's 2nd largest city & has many facilities that small cities don't. Contrary to developed countries where small cities have almost all facilities of large cities , in Pak ppl in Govt. concentrate mostlyon large cities.... In developed countries as one get rich they tend to move uptown or to small cities coz of serenity of life, while in Pak it's the opposite, ppl move from small cities to large ones....

Anybody remember one of the first boutiqe bakeries in Lahore? Pastry Shop on Jail Road right next to Kinnaird and Shamza Bakers?
Ammi was working in services (late 80s) & I was about 4ish. Every day was a treat either at Pastry Shop or that fantabulos halwa puri wala outside the gate of Mental Hospital. Can you people imagine in only 10/12 rupees I'd get a real fangled chicken burger/egg rolls/sandwiches/chicken patties and a pack of Frost with a scrumptious lemon tart. Somedays the bhais who owned PS would throw in a free eggroll or choc cake slice.
Abbu had his office on mall road and many times on Thursdays (weekend for most of my 27 years of existance) he would leave his car home and go by bus.
Ami would take me from Services/ pick me up from school (after a few years my younger brother too) & we would go pick Abu at lunch then go shopping in Anarkali or Shahalami etc. Followed by a lunch of either steam roast at Tabaq in Lakshmi or a shahslick from Ginos.
My teenage was unlike that of typical teenagers. I was 14 when I underwent major surgery for a diaphragmatic hernia.
15 I get diagnosed with Leaukemia whose treatment lasts for 4 years. So never got to do all that phaday, pranks, lovey dovey stuff as I was busy with studies & other higher stuff. On the flip side that did make sure I got straight As in my Os and As. BTW not Aitchisonian, but a Beaconhouse GTite (reputedly & reportedly the 2nd best for boys after Aitchison, but we like to differ).
Anyone remember the Megadrive/Genesis, SNES craze in the early-mid 90s. How the SNES guys would look down on Sega owners but would turn green with envy at their game cartridge collections (Megadrive games were cheaper than SNES) . I owned both but know the feeling now being the proud owner of 2 PS3s (a deceased phatty, new slim) and a grand total of 7 games, when I look at my 360 owner friends.

Back
Top Bottom