What's new

Growing up in Lahore

TechLahore

Reaction score
Wanted to share something with you that I wrote a while back. I am sure many of you will be able to relate to the following... would love to hear your views about growing up in Lahore or any other city. Did the city you spent your childhood in help build your character?

On Identity, growing up in Lahore and subjects off the beaten path | TechLahore

This post is not about the latest infrastructure project in Pakistan, or the newest startup out of Lahore. I am not going to be talking about the usual things I focus on here at Tech Lahore. Today, for some strange reason, I feel an urge to go a little bit deeper than usual and share with you some musings on identity. My identity. What it is to me, what it does for me and why it is the most important thing I have.

To start off, I am incredibly lucky. I was born to a privileged family in Lahore, Pakistan. I attended the best schools around (Yes, a proud Aitchisonian!) and was exposed to people from all parts of the world at a very early age. My parents were more focused on making sure their kids got the best of everything – including their own time – than on anything else. They always had time for us. My father would spend hours upon hours painstakingly explaining arcane concepts to me, narrating ancient history, telling us stories from the Quran or explaining mechanics, physics and math for which I really had no grounding. But because I asked, he humoured me. And I did pick things up. [Full Post]

Last edited:
Pakistan Pakistan Pakistan...

The most insane, crazy, awesome years of my entire life.

I was born in Lahore and moved to the United States before I could even walk. I spent my childhood in the USA, living amongst every religion, nationality, and color. Then when I just started my teenage life, my parents suddenly went nuts, going on and on about how the America school system was complete and utter bullshit. I never had any homework, most of the time all we ever did was color stuff and fill out simple worksheets or even just watch a 'classwork-related' movie. They were mad about how they teach us 'nothing' and waste valuable time.

Again, I was beginning my teenage years at this time, and I could really care less about what they were thinking. I had my own life that they knew nothing about. Islam was something I never understood, let alone religion, and I continued living my secret life. My parents thought I was some kind of 'goody-twoshoes' and was a very good boy who would never do anything bad. Little did they know, I was getting my first kiss from a girl I really liked. I was around 14[?] years old at this time. Slowly, my 'secret' life began to unfold and my parents started to get a glance of what kind of kid I really was. They once caught me throwing eggs at people's houses on Halloween night, and took it as if I was some kind of criminal. This was a contributing factor of my move to Pakistan.

My uncle from Canada had come to visit us in Virginia. I had no idea that one man's 'idea' would change my life forever. My dad told him what had been unfolding [there were other incidents, not only the Halloween one] and of the 'horrible' school system and decided it was time to take a move for my life. My uncle had suggested to my dad that the family should move to Pakistan. My dad took this suggestion seriously, and was crazy enough to actually do it. I had no idea what was coming for me when my dad had decided after my uncles depart that me, my brother, and my mom would be moving to Pakistan to get a 'better education.' My dad would stay in America and send money to us via the bank. [Great idea, eh?]

We began packing, my mother began crying, and I began wondering what it would be like. I did not have the slightest idea of what I was heading toward nor did I have any idea what I would be facing and what I would be suffering within a month. My other 'distant' cousins who lived very close to us told me that I would absolutely love it and I would love meeting the family I had never knew. I thought this was great until I heard the other side of the story. My best friend who was Pakistani and lived across the street from me, told me how the teachers beat children, how there was 'no' electricity and water, and how it constantly smelled like feces, ETC.

I was VERY confused at this point, and I said goodbye to my friends, every 83 of them. I decided that there was nothing that could stop this now and maintained a mindset that there is nothing to be afraid of.

Boy, was I wrong.

I still remember the first step I had made onto the Pakistani soil. It felt good and at the same time, scary.

The line for security was insanely long, and I remember how my dad was talking to someone who offered to 'get us through' faster for 30,000 rupees.

A couple of hours later, we stepped out of Allama Iqbal International Airport and the first thing I saw were ninjas. NINJAS! Ok, they weren't ninjas. They were just women dressed in Burkhas.

My mind was racing, ready to meet the family I never knew. I looked around expecting to see someone I would recognize. Amazingly, SOMEHOW, I guessed who my grandfather was among dozens of people in white beards. We embraced. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and people who I still don't know how we are related were there. About 50 people greeted us. I was thankful there were no ninjas among them. {Hey! I was like 13 or 14 at this time!}

to be continued... :pakistan:

"My childhood was, in many ways, absolutely amazing because it was so comfortable, stimulating and love-filled that I really never even dreamt about wanting to be in someone else’s shoes. And it was this feeling… of NOT wanting to be in anyone else’s shoes, the sense that I would never ever want to change who I was or where I came from, that was the seed of a sense of self, and a sense of identity that I have built myself, and my life around."

You are one lucky chap then :)

I am proud of who I am and no amount of CNN and BBC stories telling me what Pakistan is “really like” will ever make any difference to my self-worth and self-respect....
As for me, I take Lahore and Pakistan with me wherever I go. I carry the memories of my childhood in my heart, to be relived, one pleasant day at a time whenever the bitterness of the present compels me to do so.

:tup:

Wish more people felt the same...

Nice. You should try writing a book with more details. At least make a manuscript if you're into it.

Pakistan Pakistan Pakistan...

The most insane, crazy, awesome years of my entire life.

I was born in Lahore and moved to the United States before I could even walk. I spent my childhood in the USA, living amongst every religion, nationality, and color. Then when I just started my teenage life, my parents suddenly went nuts, going on and on about how the America school system was complete and utter bullshit. I never had any homework, most of the time all we ever did was color stuff and fill out simple worksheets or even just watch a 'classwork-related' movie. They were mad about how they teach us 'nothing' and waste valuable time.

Again, I was beginning my teenage years at this time, and I could really care less about what they were thinking. I had my own life that they knew nothing about. Islam was something I never understood, let alone religion, and I continued living my secret life. My parents thought I was some kind of 'goody-twoshoes' and was a very good boy who would never do anything bad. Little did they know, I was getting my first kiss from a girl I really liked. I was around 14[?] years old at this time. Slowly, my 'secret' life began to unfold and my parents started to get a glance of what kind of kid I really was. They once caught me throwing eggs at people's houses on Halloween night, and took it as if I was some kind of criminal. This was a contributing factor of my move to Pakistan.

My uncle from Canada had come to visit us in Virginia. I had no idea that one man's 'idea' would change my life forever. My dad told him what had been unfolding [there were other incidents, not only the Halloween one] and of the 'horrible' school system and decided it was time to take a move for my life. My uncle had suggested to my dad that the family should move to Pakistan. My dad took this suggestion seriously, and was crazy enough to actually do it. I had no idea what was coming for me when my dad had decided after my uncles depart that me, my brother, and my mom would be moving to Pakistan to get a 'better education.' My dad would stay in America and send money to us via the bank. [Great idea, eh?]

We began packing, my mother began crying, and I began wondering what it would be like. I did not have the slightest idea of what I was heading toward nor did I have any idea what I would be facing and what I would be suffering within a month. My other 'distant' cousins who lived very close to us told me that I would absolutely love it and I would love meeting the family I had never knew. I thought this was great until I heard the other side of the story. My best friend who was Pakistani and lived across the street from me, told me how the teachers beat children, how there was 'no' electricity and water, and how it constantly smelled like feces, ETC.

I was VERY confused at this point, and I said goodbye to my friends, every 83 of them. I decided that there was nothing that could stop this now and maintained a mindset that there is nothing to be afraid of.

Boy, was I wrong.

I still remember the first step I had made onto the Pakistani soil. It felt good and at the same time, scary.

The line for security was insanely long, and I remember how my dad was talking to someone who offered to 'get us through' faster for 30,000 rupees.

A couple of hours later, we stepped out of Allama Iqbal International Airport and the first thing I saw were ninjas. NINJAS! Ok, they weren't ninjas. They were just women dressed in Burkhas.

My mind was racing, ready to meet the family I never knew. I looked around expecting to see someone I would recognize. Amazingly, SOMEHOW, I guessed who my grandfather was among dozens of people in white beards. We embraced. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and people who I still don't know how we are related were there. About 50 people greeted us. I was thankful there were no ninjas among them. {Hey! I was like 13 or 14 at this time!}

to be continued... :pakistan:

Sweet. Very well put buddy :tup:. Looking forward to read the next part.

Cheers,Jalsa.

One of the best things I liked about Lahore was keeping a ton of pets.

Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, parrots, pigeons, chickens, monkeys, so on. There were times when we had like 10 dogs at one time :D. Whenever we went out, our army of dogs came along for our protection :D They were mostly rescued strays, but were very obedient and loyal.

A city of gardens, city of colleges, a cultural icon of Pakistan, a city that gave birth to almost all political movements, a city of artists, scholars and poets.

This city is known as Lahore

I used to think that my love for my city is just because I grew up in this city but there was definitely some “invisible thing” which resonated in the souls of its residents.

Even returning from some joy trip, we all friends, filled with the joyous moments of trip but as the bus crossed Ravi bridge those joyous moments were always replaced with strange sense. We always got off from PTDC bus, at that time it used to be among the best services, walked through whole Bhati area, ending up one the best haleem shop in Bhati chowk and then go home. If it was morning time having sri payee breakfast.
The fragrance of wet soil which came from water sprayed early morning in the streets was the best we ever felt.

From mall road to anakali chowk, there used be all old book shops on weekends. On weekend this area attracted many book lovers, one can find any thing from classic to “just published” , even books signed by their authors were also found some time. Union book stall an excellent source of “cheap text books” for university and medical students and who can forget Hero book shop ,where one can fish rare gems. It was like a Eid day for me when I got a very first published first volume of Sirat-un-Nabi.

Every thing, from railway timetable to Satanic Verses used to be available at those shops

Haha ok I will do it today. :)

EDIT: err.. not getting the time... maybe later

Last edited:
@TechLahore

I can so relate to your post my friend because i myself am a Lahori and a proud Aitchisonian. Although you are a lot older than me but i can see how our lives were soo similar, although Lahore has changed but the core values among Sherdil Lahoris are the same. I just miss my school days soo much, i dont think i can ever forget the time i experienced during my O and A Levels. The friendships i made, the professors that we used to annoy :D and the constant chill sessions are something i will always cherish for my life. I am just counting days when my semester is over so i can return back to my beloved city, just like you Lahore is a part of me and no matter where we are we always keep Lahore in our hearts.

@TechLahore

I can so relate to your post my friend because i myself am a Lahori and a proud Aitchisonian. Although you are a lot older than me but i can see how our lives were soo similar, although Lahore has changed but the core values among Sherdil Lahoris are the same. I just miss my school days soo much, i dont think i can ever forget the time i experienced during my O and A Levels. The friendships i made, the professors that we used to annoy :D and the constant chill sessions are something i will always cherish for my life. I am just counting days when my semester is over so i can return back to my beloved city, just like you Lahore is a part of me and no matter where we are we always keep Lahore in our hearts.

Glad to hear it! Lahore is a really magical place... hard to communicate this to folks unfamiliar with the city.

Back
Top Bottom