What's new

Ground breaking: PM to kick off Khi-Hyd motorway today

That is an issue of rule of law. Pakistan needs an agency like the IRS.
which again comes back down to lack of governance. When the ruling parties are going to be held accountable by laws they rather not implement them, the same goes for agricultural taxes. Why tax yourself when you have the power to write laws you never harm yourself. Visionaries and technocrats are needed to solve these problems otherwise every party will just save each other.

Taxes in Pakistan don't need to be based on "source of income". The taxes should (except for corporate) be based on one simple regime of fixed tax rate for every individual, "like zakat" that way it automatically broadens your tax base and takes into account that higher income earners pay more and lower income earners pay less.

Instead what we have is mess of a Tax Law that exempts like thousands sources of income and has loopholes to tax students.

Roads are needed but opportunity cost of roads is to be considered while making these decisions, which I don't think anybody considers in our country. And to top it these projects need to be headed by some experienced people, who have the relevant expertise and not by some drug addicted fool, who are made chairman just to compensate their defeat in election. Idiots.

Taxes in Pakistan don't need to be based on "source of income". The taxes should (except for corporate) be based on one simple regime of fixed tax rate for every individual, "like zakat" that way it automatically broadens your tax base and takes into account that higher income earners pay more and lower income earners pay less.
Even Zakat depends on the honesty of the zakat giver. Just cutting money directly from banks would greatly reduce the money kept in banks and would destabilize the banking sector as well. What is needed is a stricter rule of law and new taxes on agriculture and reforms to finish loopholes. It can be done if someone sincere comes to rule, but that someone has alluded us for decades now.

which again comes back down to lack of governance. When the ruling parties are going to be held accountable by laws they rather not implement them, the same goes for agricultural taxes. Why tax yourself when you have the power to write laws you never harm yourself. Visionaries and technocrats are needed to solve these problems otherwise every party will just save each other.

Nawaz Sharif is expanding the tax net, progress is being made. More and more Pakistanis are getting on the tax roll, that means larger government revenue and increase in GDP.

Nawaz Sharif is expanding the tax net, progress is being made. More and more Pakistanis are getting on the tax roll, that means larger government revenue and increase in GDP.
We are an agricultural based economy, I hope you studied the link I posted and tagged you in on this thread. Please remember that we need to tax the wealthier agriculturalist rather then subsidizing their electricity etc. If you know well of agriculturalists you will not disagree they are the biggest section of society that has not been taxed which is not fair to hard working honest people in cities. Tax net being expanded on paper and it actually being expanded is a different thing. When you tax the stock markets and government employees you need to do the same on agriculture. Plus the money spent on metros would be better served making dams and there is no argument to that.
Pakistan must add 35 MAF of water in 10 years to its current reserve or face a sever water shortage
please read this also

Even Zakat depends on the honesty of the zakat giver. Just cutting money directly from banks would greatly reduce the money kept in banks and would destabilize the banking sector as well. What is needed is a stricter rule of law and new taxes on agriculture and reforms to finish loopholes. It can be done if someone sincere comes to rule, but that someone has alluded us for decades now.

Law is there, but it needs drastic reforms. Application of tax laws is there (the tragedy is it makes things more difficult for existing tax payers, and does not thrive to broaden tax base). We also need to take care of leakages as you said. I have personally seen tax people quoting that "I did not pass Civil Services exams just to serve here, I have family to feed and better you support me to make things easy for you". The new law simply needs to exclude exemptions, it just simply needs to bring in one straight tax rate irrespective of your source of income.

Zakat and banking are two opposite extremes if you look at these from view point of Islam. The current banking system whatever name you give it is non Islamic, whether you call it Islamic banking or whatever.

Zakat and banking are two opposite extremes if you look at these from view point of Islam. The current banking system whatever name you give it is non Islamic, whether you call it Islamic banking or whatever.
I agree with you totally. Please read my posts on this thread I think we see things similarly, as for the Zakat issue it will take education and understanding to change that system, for now quicker solutions are listed in my opinion in my posts on this thread

Prove it. Give me references from Income Tax Ordinance 2001, quote me sections that seem like broadening the tax base? Give me reference that has abolished any tax exempt income and made it taxable?

Only if you (you must be young but people like you) were in General Zia Majlis e Shoora where they come up with this stupid decision. Why able people never make it to the right places?

Only if you (you must be young but people like you) were in General Zia Majlis e Shoora where they come up with this stupid decision. Why able people never make it to the right places?
I do not think I was born when these things happened. But hopefully we have better leaders one day InshaAllah who can correct things to make us prosperous again.

The deduction is only made from accounts that are
1-Remunerative.
2-With balance above the threshold.
3-CZ-50 not submitted.
And banks are not destabilized by the zakat deduction which hardly affects the liquidity since a lot of people now submit CZ-50 or maintain current account with the banks.

1102729596-1.jpg

At a time we need more dams we are making more roads. I hope they are useful next time floods reach Multan and river banks have to be blown up by the army to save cities. More roads let us just forget priorities.
For flooding the route through jehlam does really help because Punjab is not naturally suited for dams. The only solution is broadening the waterways and creating more and more link canals to be able to divert the flood waters over larger areas and hence reducing the intensity. the dams can be built on GB-KPK (Big ones in GB while small dam sites in KPK).

Law is there, but it needs drastic reforms. Application of tax laws is there (the tragedy is it makes things more difficult for existing tax payers, and does not thrive to broaden tax base). We also need to take care of leakages as you said. I have personally seen tax people quoting that "I did not pass Civil Services exams just to serve here, I have family to feed and better you support me to make things easy for you". The new law simply needs to exclude exemptions, it just simply needs to bring in one straight tax rate irrespective of your source of income.
Agricultural tax has become a provincial subject post 18th Amendment. The tax exemption on agriculture income is not available with FBR without proof of tax payment with provincial authorities. However, how much do the provinces tax agriculture, is another debate.

This moron is obsessed with highways. I wonder if his forefathers used to drive trucks on the highways or what. Highways are needed but hospitals and schools are also needed. What a moron.
Wrong priorities.
These politicians always look for shortcuts to win popularity.

At a time we need more dams we are making more roads. I hope they are useful next time floods reach Multan and river banks have to be blown up by the army to save cities. More roads let us just forget priorities.
I agree with you. Flood control is also very important. Our resources should be spent wisely between flood control and road building. Besides Lahore Karachi motorway should not be given priority but the trade corridor to Gwadar should be given priority. Once we start generating income from trade corridor, we can than build Lahore Karachi motorway.

This moron is obsessed with highways. I wonder if his forefathers used to drive trucks on the highways or what. Highways are needed but hospitals and schools are also needed. What a moron.

Some people don't pay attention. GoP is not wasting any federal budget or provincial budget on this motorway.

"FWO to undertake project on BOT basis"

Back
Top Bottom