What's new

Greek/Hellenic Armed Forces Thread - Pictures, News Articles and Discussions on all Greek/Hellenic Military Affairs.

On July 4, 2022, Greece’s arms treaty commission approved new weapons programs, one of which is the acquisition of at least 3 MQ-9B SeaGuardian with a budget of 330 million euros. The system is not unknown to Greece, nor is the decision to acquire this particular system a surprise.
On December 10, 2019, an official visit of the Greek military leadership and a briefing on the specific UAV was held at the 110th fighter air base in Larissa, and a few days later, on December 19, a corresponding flight demonstration.

In January 2021, GA-ASI announced that, in collaboration with Italy’s Leonardo, it will integrate the SeaSpray-7500E V2 surface search radar into the MQ-9B SeaGuardian. The radar will be integrated externally, in a spindle, on the suspension’s ventral pylon. The SeaSprey-7500E V2 is an AESA intelligence gathering, surveillance, and reconnaissance technology radar. It weighs 104 kg, operates in the “X” frequency band, and has a range of 320 nautical miles [593 km], the biggest range globally.

"The amendment would bar the United States to sell or transfer the jets to Turkey unless the administration certifies that doing so is essential to U.S. national security and included a description of concrete steps taken to ensure they are not used for repeated unauthorized overflights of Greece."

U.S. House backs measure that would restrict sale of F-16s to Turkey

Great documentary about the legendary Averof and depiction of the Battle of Elli

According to Ptisi,the Greek Army wants to buy Spike SR and LR2 and is interested in LORA ballistic missiles.

According to Ptisi,the Greek Army wants to buy Spike SR and LR2 and is interested in LORA ballistic missiles.

Hellenic military is on the move, man! Shades of the Egyptian modernization of the past 9 years and on a record breaking pace. Awesome.

Not a huge fan of the F-35 (for my own reasons) but no one can deny the remarkable wonders of US ingenuity in aircraft technology. Even with a basic understanding of aircraft build quality and stealth features, you can just look at the third & fourth pics in this batch and see the "Fiber Matting" technology infused in the skin of the paneling and how smooth it is. The complete lack of any panel seams or imperfections in that fuselage skin is really impressive. Amazing and there is no other aircraft with that level of finish.

Congratulations to the HAF on this great acquisition on top of the Rafales and the Viper upgrade along with the Mirage-2Ks and F-4 Phantoms, a powerhouse without a doubt and a major deterrent to any kind of belligerence in the Aegan Sea.

1658269188238.png

1658269207504.png

1658269234969.png

1658269262517.png

Last edited:
Hellenic military is on the move, man! Shades of the Egyptian modernization of the past 9 years and on a record breaking pace. Awesome.

Not a huge fan of the F-35 (for my own reasons) but no one can deny the remarkable wonders of US ingenuity in aircraft technology. Even with a basic understanding of aircraft build quality and stealth features, you can just look at the third & fourth pics in this batch and see the RAM coating and how smooth it is and the complete lack of any panel seams or imperfections in that fuselage skin. Amazing and there is no other aircraft with that level of finish.

Congratulations to the HAF on this great acquisition on top of the Rafales and the Viper upgrade along with the Mirage-2Ks and F-4 Phantoms, a powerhouse without a doubt and a major deterrent to any kind of belligerence in the Aegan Sea.

View attachment 863354

View attachment 863355

View attachment 863357

View attachment 863358
Oh nice pics,man!

The problem is that the first F-35s will arrive in 2027 or 2028.

Couldn't the Americans give us some 6 aircraft now? The ones that were not given to Turkey were 4. They had 4 aircraft ready. They could add some more and give us some aircraft now,but for some reason they don't wanna do that.

Oh nice pics,man!

The problem is that the first F-35s will arrive in 2027 or 2028.

Couldn't the Americans give us some 6 aircraft now? The ones that were not given to Turkey were 4. They had 4 aircraft ready. They could add some more and give us some aircraft now,but for some reason they don't wanna do that.

Yes, for sure! Seems like at the current production rate, they should be able to get them out there a bit sooner than that. But that is a drawback of intended and unintended consequences. Obviously marketing a "universal" aircraft, so to speak, that not only needs to equip the 3 US military branches but has deliberately pulled in allies to participate in not only the joint strike fighter program, but NATO members as well as some non-Nato ones. Once you commit to so many recipients, the waiting list ends up growing rapidly.

I corrected my previous post above about the smooth, silky finish on the F-35. It's not RAM like I originally suggested, but actually fiber matting infused panels made of carbon nanotube & epoxy composite which actually eliminated the need for the tedious, labor intensive and expensive upkeep of RAM. Still, there must be some phenomenal usage of paint products and techniques to get that impeccable, shiny & silky finish.

I corrected my previous post above about the smooth, silky finish on the F-35. It's not RAM like I originally suggested, but actually fiber matting infused panels made of carbon nanotube & epoxy composite which actually eliminated the need for the tedious, labor intensive and expensive upkeep of RAM. Still, there must be some phenomenal usage of paint products and techniques to get that impeccable, shiny & silky finish.
It looks incredible in photos!

ZUES - HELLENIC F-16blk 52 VIPER DEMO TEAM BEAST! Check out the deflection on those wings from all the Gs applied in that maneuver.

1658432784733.png

I saw the one of the pilots in an F-16 at Thessaloniki's parade a few years ago.

Yeah? Very cool. I wasn't too surprised when I met a couple of Blue Angels and Thunderbirds pilots also and how they were so down to earth and willing to talk about anything etc. As a matter of fact, back around 2010 or so, I met a USAF Thunderbird pilot and while I was chatting with him and asking him all sorts of question about the F-16, he asked me why I was so interested and I told him a little bit about my background etc. and when I mentioned interest in the EAF, he said "Oh man, we know many of those guys and flew together several times in Bright Star Egypt and other training exercises" and then he said "they're a bunch of great guys!" lol, I was surprised at the coincidence.

It was wild when chatting with him, I could easily notice the incredible discipline he had from the rigorous training they undergo that it's instilled in their character and behavior as well. Then when I asked to get a picture with him, he went right into 'at attention mode!' He stood straight up, put both hands behind his back and did his wide leg stance. I was like holy crap, here I am in my shorts, T-shirt, beach hat, backpack and lazy shades wearing flip flops looool. Definitely something to remember.

Yeah? Very cool. I wasn't too surprised when I met a couple of Blue Angels and Thunderbirds pilots also and how they were so down to earth and willing to talk about anything etc. As a matter of fact, back around 2010 or so, I met a USAF Thunderbird pilot and while I was chatting with him and asking him all sorts of question about the F-16, he asked me why I was so interested and I told him a little bit about my background etc. and when I mentioned interest in the EAF, he said "Oh man, we know many of those guys and flew together several times in Bright Star Egypt and other training exercises" and then he said "they're a bunch of great guys!" lol, I was surprised at the coincidence.

It was wild when chatting with him, I could easily notice the incredible discipline he had from the rigorous training they undergo that it's instilled in their character and behavior as well. Then when I asked to get a picture with him, he went right into 'at attention mode!' He stood straight up, put both hands behind his back and did his wide leg stance. I was like holy crap, here I am in my shorts, T-shirt, beach hat, backpack and lazy shades wearing flip flops looool. Definitely something to remember.
No actually I meant I saw the F-16 flying in Thessaloniki at the parade. The guy was flying low and fast over the people. And that loud sound! Lol! The F-16 is fantastic.

I also saw Apaches that day as well:

IMG_20191028_131136.jpg

No actually I meant I saw the F-16 flying in Thessaloniki at the parade. The guy was flying low and fast over the people. And that loud sound! Lol! The F-16 is fantastic.

I also saw Apaches that day as well:

Oh, lol. That's what you meant by "saw the pilot" I got it now hahaha.

Lynx in Greece for a two-day demonstration for the Hellenic Army.

@Gomig-21 @reflecthofgeismar @ZeGerman

PHOTO-2022-07-21-20-16-29.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

PHOTO-2022-07-21-20-32-49-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom