What's new

Greater China outnumbers German patents

Hongkong / Taiwan are not part of China.

I will acknowledge China's prowess in science and technology
the day china makes a car that sells for more than a BMW.

letz face it the only reason anybody has to buy anything chinese is cost..and that is also because of a govt which fixes itz currency as cheap as it can against rest of all currencies..

and we are to believe these guys are a super power..do as i say or else..im going to stop selling you toys..you are sanctioned..

guys currymuncher alert!

This is your only warning. Next time, I will contact a mod to have you censured in my thread.

This is a thread regarding patents and countries' competitiveness. If you want to rant or if you prefer Indian news, there is an Indian Defense forum next door.

I'm surprised that your mother didn't teach you any manners. Did you grow up in the wild?

I have no idea what "chin chin chaaun" means, but it sounds Indian. Why not go click on the adjacent Indian Defense forum and discuss the great performance of the Indian economy there? This thread is about patents. Learn to read thread titles.

Do you realize that you're the only troll here? Don't you feel lonely? Your compatriots are in the Indian Defense forum. Good luck to you and best wishes.

Last edited:
You must be living in on your own world!

Stop your ranting! Remember to use toilet paper when you use toilet!

If it's true that you know how to "spoof ip" then it is pointless for me to complain. Would it help if I apologized for my temporary lapse in laughing at the "currymunching" joke?

I know this is immoral, but can you go haunt someone else's thread? I promise not to laugh at any more strange-admixture curry jokes. I am sincerely sorry.

I am curious about what others have to say about patents. For example, TruthSeeker's normalized list really surprised me. I had no idea that Taiwan or anyone else had overtaken the US in patents per capita. It's always been understood that the US is the most creative in the world. I think that qualifies as making history and TruthSeeker noticed it first. I simply assumed that the Taiwanese per capita was close to, but below, US patents per capita. I should've crunched the numbers.

Last edited:
That's quite offensive to Pakistanis too, you know?

I apologize for any offense that I or my thread may have caused to anyone. It was not my intention.

I want to extend my congratulations to TruthSeeker for being the first person, that I am aware of, who normalized the list and showed all of us the astonishing result that Taiwan, on a per capita basis, has surpassed the most creative country in human history, the mighty US, that we all admire.

I thought I was pretty clever to notice that Greater China (i.e. China + Taiwan + Hong Kong) had overtaken Germany in the number of annual patents granted by the US Patent Office. However, I am willing to concede that TruthSeeker's insight is probably far more significant than mine.

TruthSeeker's insight raises important questions. Is the US losing interest in science and becoming less productive in the creativity process? Or are other nations like Taiwan simply stepping "up to the plate" and reaching their full potential by emulating the US? After all, most Taiwanese graduate students studied at US universities. Or could it be a combination of both?

While I ponder over these questions, I hope that more of you will share your opinions and insights regarding the patent tallies. Thank you.

Last edited:
You must be living in on your own world!

Stop your ranting! Remember to use toilet paper when you use toilet!

We don't use toilet paper Honor ..we use water and i don't see anything wrong with using water..

TruthSeeker's insight raises important questions. Is the US losing interest in science and becoming less productive in the creativity process? Or are other nations like Taiwan simply stepping "up to the plate" and reaching their full potential by emulating the US? After all, most Taiwanese graduate students studied at US universities. Or could it be a combination of both?

Martian2, thank you for the complement. I decided to see what happened if one normalized the numbers you posted, mainly because I thought the South Korean numbers would make them very high on the list.

As to the significance, remember this is just USA patents not all patents. Granted, USA patents may be the most important for two reasons (1) the USA is the biggest market for technical goods and (2) the USA is so litigious that patents are enforced and make or break companies all the time. So if you are a technical goods supplier, you probably need to sell in the USA to achieve volume and you need patents or licensing agreements to gain or maintain market access in the face of the USA patent system. I think that newly industrializing countries, like Taiwan and South Korea, have a very high patenting profile because they are trying to make their way into the world technical goods markets and need the bargaining power and the potential for innovative control offered by patents. Japan proceeded them and you can see Japan's high patenting activity also. So they may not be exceptionally innovative as compared to the USA or Germany but may have concluded that they must spend the financial and engineer's time resources to go after patents. A typical USA patent costs ~ $20K in legal services and fees to obtain and another $20K in fees to maintain over its 20 year life. So getting 50 patents per year is a $1 million expense for a company and then the patent portfolio continues to eat up money with maintenance fees.

As long as the USA market remain large and its patenting system is enforced by litigation, new market entrants, like China, will have to contend with competing for patent accessibility just as have Japan, South Korea and Taiwan in the recent past.

By the way, I am a retired USA patent agent. I used to write patents for a few of large US companies. I myself am an inventor of 45 US patents and have 8 additional applications in process. So I hope to reach the 50 mark by the time all of my inventions are examined.

Is this even real? I read the article and I'm stunned. Is our world at an inflection point? Things are changing faster than I expected. Perhaps I'm getting old. It looks like a new world out there.

This article reports on the chemistry patents filed with the Chinese patent office. It does not say the nationality of the filing inventors or assignees. I don't know the strength of the Chinese system. That is, how effectively inventions are examined or how well inventors rights are enforced by Chinese courts. However, now that China is in the WTO and is becoming such an important market, it may be that all chemical companies, worldwide, now file their inventions in China as well as the US, EU, Japan, SK and TW. It would make sense. If China really does enforce its own granted patents, then a USA company may be able to gain control over its inventions in China, against Chinese copycats, for a change!

Martian2, thank you for the complement. I decided to see what happened if one normalized the numbers you posted, mainly because I thought the South Korean numbers would make them very high on the list.

As to the significance, remember this is just USA patents not all patents. Granted, USA patents may be the most important for two reasons (1) the USA is the biggest market for technical goods and (2) the USA is so litigious that patents are enforced and make or break companies all the time. So if you are a technical goods supplier, you probably need to sell in the USA to achieve volume and you need patents or licensing agreements to gain or maintain market access in the face of the USA patent system. I think that newly industrializing countries, like Taiwan and South Korea, have a very high patenting profile because they are trying to make their way into the world technical goods markets and need the bargaining power and the potential for innovative control offered by patents. Japan proceeded them and you can see Japan's high patenting activity also. So they may not be exceptionally innovative as compared to the USA or Germany but may have concluded that they must spend the financial and engineer's time resources to go after patents. A typical USA patent costs ~ $20K in legal services and fees to obtain and another $20K in fees to maintain over its 20 year life. So getting 50 patents per year is a $1 million expense for a company and then the patent portfolio continues to eat up money with maintenance fees.

As long as the USA market remain large and its patenting system is enforced by litigation, new market entrants, like China, will have to contend with competing for patent accessibility just as have Japan, South Korea and Taiwan in the recent past.

By the way, I am a retired USA patent agent. I used to write patents for a few of large US companies. I myself am an inventor of 45 US patents and have 8 additional applications in process. So I hope to reach the 50 mark by the time all of my inventions are examined.

You're welcome. Credit should be acknowledged where it is due. As I read your post, I began to suspect that you are a patent expert.

By the way, more congratulations to you on your "45 US patents." I hope that you reach the milestone of 50 patents soon.

I hope no one asks me how many patent applications that I've sent in. I'm going to hit the science books right away.

This article reports on the chemistry patents filed with the Chinese patent office. It does not say the nationality of the filing inventors or assignees. I don't know the strength of the Chinese system. That is, how effectively inventions are examined or how well inventors rights are enforced by Chinese courts. However, now that China is in the WTO and is becoming such an important market, it may be that all chemical companies, worldwide, now file their inventions in China as well as the US, EU, Japan, SK and TW. It would make sense. If China really does enforce its own granted patents, then a USA company may be able to gain control over its inventions in China, against Chinese copycats, for a change!

Even if we do not know the "nationality of the filing inventors or assignees," the trend does seem unmistakable.

This was the part of the article that caught my eye.

"Meanwhile, Chinese invention applications increased by nearly 1,400 percent, with much of that growth taking place in the pharmaceutical sector. More than half of the Chinese patent applications during this period were from inventors within China, which surely indicates that Chinese scientists now also recognize the importance of monetizing research discoveries."

Is this even real? I read the article and I'm stunned. Is our world at an inflection point? Things are changing faster than I expected. Perhaps I'm getting old. It looks like a new world out there.

Real ! And the world is at a crutial turning point. Check this out :

China second only to US in research-Thomson Reuters

Mon Nov 2, 2009

WASHINGTON, Nov 2 (Reuters) - Chinese researchers have more than doubled their output of scientific papers and now are second only to the United States in terms of volume, according to a report from Thomson Reuters released on Monday.

The research is heavily focused on materials and technology and shows China is poised to dominate several areas of industry, the report finds.

"China's comparative growth is striking, far outstripping that of the rest of the world," reads the report, available here

"And the curve seems to be showing only marginal signs of slowing, still heading to overtake the USA itself within the next decade."

Chinese researchers published 20,000 research papers in 1998. This ballooned to nearly 112,000 in 2008, the report found, with China passing Japan, Britain and Germany in terms of annual output.

During the same time U.S. researchers increased output from 265,000 to 340,000 publications a year, a gain of around 30 percent.

Chinese research is concentrated in the physical sciences and technology, especially materials science, chemistry and physics.

"China's grip on innovative materials is likely to have far-reaching effects. It is difficult to see developments in industrial sectors that draw on these technologies that will not directly or indirectly depend on the knowledge coming out of China's research," the report reads.

"If China's research growth remains this rapid and substantial, European and North American institutions will want to be part of it," Jonathan Adams, director of research evaluation at Thomson Reuters, added in a statement.

The report, based on 10,500 journals monitored by Thomson Reuters, parent company of Reuters, notes that China has more than 1,700 standard institutions of higher education.

"Since the Chinese economic reform started in 1978, China has emerged from a poor developing country to become the second-largest economy in the world after the United States of America," the report reads.

"Already, more than half of the nation's technologies, including atomic energy, space science, high-energy physics, biology, computer science, and information technology, have reached or are close to a recognizable international level of achievement."

Other high-growth areas for China, according to the report, include agricultural sciences, immunology, microbiology, and molecular biology and genetics.

The United States is the biggest international collaborator with China, with 39,000 Chinese papers suggesting collaboration with U.S. researchers, or 8.9 percent of China's total. Japanese collaborations came next with 3 percent.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...46142320091102

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom