What's new

Govt appoints Brigadier (retd) Shuja Hassan as Pakistan Steel Mills CEO

Shah_Deu

Reaction score
Country
Germany
https://www.brecorder.com/news/4001...retd-shuja-hassan-as-pakistan-steel-mills-ceo

5f2d36617fab5.jpg

The government has appointed Brigadier (retd) Shuja Hassan as the Chief Executive Officer of Pakistan Steel Mills (PSM).

As per details, a notification has also been issued for the appointment of Shuja Hassan as CEO of the Steel Mills on Friday.

According to the notification, Brigadier (retd) Shuja Hassan has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Pakistan Steel Mills for one year and the appointment is subject to termination by both the parties on one month's notice.

Earlier, Business Recorder learned that the government's Pakistan Steel Mills (PSM) "disposed off" plan appears to be in the doldrums after recent seemingly strong observations of the Supreme Court of Pakistan (SC).

Informed sources told Business Recorder, the Ministry of Industries and Production (MoI&P), and Privatisation Commission (PC) which are leading the "disposal" in consultation with the Financial Advisors are now rethinking this strategy.

A retired military officer who I doubt would even be from the engineering corps to mange a corporate entity isn't a wise decision. the book says so.
A turned around was also done by a military person back in 2005 and converted the mill in profit.

It might be too late by now but mill need a strong administrator to use a danda on poliyical appointees who were a burden on the mill

To run the PSM, no rocket science is required. Only strong will to improve and basic administrative actions are required.

A turned around was also done by a military person back in 2005 and converted the mill in profit.

It might be too late by now but mill need a strong administrator to use a danda on poliyical appointees who were a burden on the mill

If this is the case then hire our village's pt teacher. He's always punctual and strict. And while we are at it just close down all business schools in the country

If this is the case then hire our village's pt teacher. He's always punctual and strict. And while we are at it just close down all business schools in the country
This is a childish argument. A teacher is administrator of student. Here is the profile of existing CEO who is professional but failed to deliver.

U need right medicine for the right disease. Disease of steel mill is more of political then technical or managerial. For managerial and technical there r already professionals in steel mills who spend whole life working there. My father and uncle both spend whole lufe in steel mill so believe me i know on ground facts much more than u.

There is a need of person who can resist political pressure of employee and officer union. (Yes steel mill do have a officer union as well) and these unions of elections officially on political basis i.e. there will be union with a name of ppp, pmln and mqm whereas ppp wins all the time.

To control these rascals u dont needs a science or management graduate but u need a danda with strong back.
Screenshot_20200807-173555_Chrome.jpg

@Mentee

Last edited:
Fair
This is a childish argument. A teacher is administrator of student. Here is the profile of existing CEO who is professional but failed to deliver.

U need right medicine for the right disease. Disease of steel mill is more of political then technical or managerial. For managerial and technical there r already professionals in steel mills who spend whole life working there. My father and uncle both spend whole lufe in steel mill so believe me i know on ground facts much more than u.

There is a need of person who can resist political pressure of employee and officer union. (Yes steel mill do have a officer union as well) and these unions of elections officially on political basis i.e. there will be union with a name of ppp, pmln and mqm whereas ppp wins all the time.

To control these rascals u dont needs a science or management graduate but u need a danda with strong back.
View attachment 659514
@Mentee

Faur enough but I still think it's not good for ex servicemen to head karobari idary

https://nation.com.pk/27-Jul-2020/pakistan-steel-mills-bod-recommends-three-names-for-post-of-ceo

Islamabad-The Board of Directors of PSM has recommended the government names of three shortlisted candidates for the post of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Pakistan Steel Mills with priority No.1 candidate having degrees in warfare and strategic studies. The Board of Director of PSM in 407th meeting concurred the recommendations of Board Human Resource Committee (BHRC) and resolved the criteria adopted for the appointment of CEO and shortlisted three candidates priority wise for the saidpost, official documents available with The Nation reveal.

Furthermore, the board finds candidate No.1 to be a better fit given the needs of the revival plan and the prevailing environment at the mill. The Board directed PSM management to forward the Ministry of Industries and Production for further action. The Board of PSM and the Government of Pakistan have designated a plan to attract private parties who can invest and operate under a concession agreement. This process of attracting and selecting a consortium is managed by the Privatisation Commission of Pakistan. PSM requires a transitory CEO who can fulfil the role of a strong administrator and guardian of the assets of PSM and help execute a plan of action to prepare the Mills for a public private partnership. The transition plan may last from one to two years. During this transition there will be no steel production and focus will be on maintaining all the assets and operating the non-core functions in the most professional and compliant manner, reduce expenses, generate non-core income and manage the late pool of employees with little productive work.

Keeping in view above aspects and in order to make further assessment through personal interviews of each short listed candidates made by BHRC in its earlier meeting held on 3 December 2019, a meeting of BHRC was called on 18th December, 2019 in the office of CEO-PSM / Additional Secretary ll, Ministry of Industries & Production and attended by the following: Chairman (BHRC) / Member BoD-PSM Asif Jabbar Khan, Aamir Mumtaz Member (BHRC) / Chairman (300), Capt. (Retd.) Sher Alam Mahsud Member (BHRC) / Add. Secy-ll MO|&P d) and Riaz Hussain Mangi Secretary (BHRC) ADGM Incharge (A&P).

As per the document, all five candidates who were found suitable were called to appear before the BHRC for interview and assessment of their suitability and further short listing as per their experience, previous service track record, personality evaluation as well as overall suitability for appointment against the position of Chief Executive Officer, Pakistan Steel against advertisement dated 03-11-2019. Out of total 5 candidates called for an interview before the BHRC, only 3 candidates have appeared before the committee beside two candidates did not appear before BHRC for interview which reflects their seriousness / interest for the post.

After holding detailed interviews and assessments of their suitability, BHRC has made short listing in accordance with their performance displayed by them during the course of interview and accordingly made recommendations. As per the decision of the BHRC, Brig (R) Shujah Hassan has been recommended for selection as top priority candidate. The qualification of the priority candidate is M.Sc (Hons) War Studies-2002, MSc (Hons) Defence and Strategic Studies-2006. The experience of the candidate includes “Experience in Army only Internal Posting Transfer in GHQ Corps HQ and Brigade HQ and Regimental Units”.

Giving its justification regarding the priority No.1 candidate, BHRC said that the nature of his assignments during his professional life with Pakistan Army and with a strategic organisation commensurate with the requirements for the Post. He also showed passion and commitment to handle the short term objectives of the post. Candidate demonstrated strong commitment to support the vision of the GoP and the BHRC to revive the Mill. He has deep administrative experience, passion to take on this difficult national cause, appears tough minded and pragmatic, good network of contacts in Karachi (by virtue of earlier stint with Rangers), not discouraged by the environment and wining to be resourceful and practical, Accepting of the short term nature of the project.

The candidate recommended by Board HR Committee on Priority No.2 is Muhammad Farooq Usman Siddiqui. The Candidate has MS (Metallurgical Engineering) with Hons, PHD (Metallurgical Engineering) from Japan in 1987 and PGD Business Administration 1981-82. As per the work experience, the recommended candidate has worked in Pakistan Steel from 1980-1993, GM Moscow of Metals Russia HK from 1993-96, SVP and Deputy Chairman of ISTIL (Ukraine) from 2000-2008, SVP of Donetsk MMZ from 2008-9, GM of ISTIL group from 2009-11, CEO of Rustavi Steel from 2011-15, and owner/director/President of Crescent Fesh Inc. from 2003 till now.

The candidate on priority No.3 is Tariq Ejaz Chaoudhry and his education qualification Mechanical Engeering in 1990, M.S Marketing 2005 and M.Sc in criminology and security studies (2016). The work experience of the candidate includes Marketing Manager and Product Development Kenlubes International Pakistan from 2001-2003, GM operation and Development Diamond Group, Pakistan from 2002-2003, GM Planning and Development in Lubrizol Pakistan from 2003-2007, Business Development Head/GM in Radius Middle East and Exap projects KFB Holding Group from March 2011 to December 2014, CEO(MP-I) Punjab BIO Energy Company limited January 2015 to March 2015, CEO(MP-I) Engineering Development Board (MoIP) March 2015 to March 2017, advisor and Consultant in different industrial Project from April 2017- till date.

Since the government wants to complete the privatisation process of PSM during the tenure of the next CEO, therefore experts believe the government’s next choice should be the candidate having experience in steel and international business.

I must say, qualifications-wise, the candidate 2 Muhammad Farooq Usman Siddiqui seemed excellent. We so critically need more people of such high calibre to work in our industry especially in field of metallurgy in the defence related industries, what @Bilal Khan (Quwa) so often mentions.

The preference seemed to be of Candidate 1 due to his administrative experience and strong contacts. Might be argued which one was better, but i think in present current circumstances, we need both, sort of like a carrot and stick approach.

The past political appointments and strong unions cant just be handled by a professional alone, danda has its own worth. But i only hope that we better start giving such qualified and experienced people their due respect and put their abilities to our full use if we are to develop our indeginous capabilities.

Last edited:
A retired military officer who I doubt would even be from the engineering corps to mange a corporate entity isn't a wise decision. the book says so.
Military retirees have been the most successful at running state-corporations, though.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom