What's new

‘Good news’ for nation in three weeks, announces PM Imran

I think you mentioned you work in oil and gas.... today whole of Pak media is doing bhangra over a "pressure kick" what does pressure kick mean in layman terms. Give me the cold hard facts please and thank you. I have to decide if I have to be cautiously optimistic or skeptical.

Doesn't mean much. You can get a pressure kick from an over pressurized aquifer or formation. You have to increase you mud weight by to maintain control.

However, if you have hydrocarbons in your mud returns then yes it's an indication that there is potential of oil and gas.

But what is really needed are results from the DST and Well Test buildup test. That is give you an idea of how much (oil and gas) there is. That is why Imran Khan said 3 weeks... He wants to make a comment after those results come in.

So in essence... Has Pakistan struck oil and gas?... Could be (nothing official from Exxon)

Do we know how much (reserves)???... No not yet. They will have to drill other delineation wells as part of a larger field development.

Last edited:
Honorable balixd,

Firstly it is equally possible that the good news is not about oil & gas but something else altogether.
Secondly, the only reliable news is that Exxon has suspended drilling. We do not know the real reason.

Anyone familiar with upstream oil operations would know that usually there are 3 reasons why a drilling company suspends drilling.

1- The clay samples from drilling thus far showed no indication of hydrocarbons. Thus no point in continuing with the drilling.

2- The drill bit broke as the rumors suggest. Main reasons why the drill bit breaks are drilling at the wrong speed (too fast or too slow) or you are drilling off center or too much vibration because the drill is loose in the chuck. Neither of this indicates anything and one must continue drilling before final conclusions are reached.

3- Blow out. A blowout in oil and gas well drilling operations is a dangerous thing. There is enormous pressure of the rock formations around an oil/gas reservoir. Oil/gas accumulates over a period of millions of years, during which all of the water is compressed and pressurized out of the carbon-based substance (normally life-forms of one type or another) by the layers of sediment that form on top of it. A blow-out underwater is especially dangerous and can result in loss of life as well as of the equipment.

However a blow-out does indicate the presence of hydrocarbons, but the drilling process needs to be restarted until the reservoir is reached before the size of the deposits can be estimated. To be certain of the size of the reservoir more than one exploratory wells need to be drilled.

Because of the lack of information, it is not possible to make an informed guess. And I have already stated that I don’t believe in pure speculation. Three weeks is not a long time. I would therefore wait & hear it from the horse’s mouth.

First it was point 2...

Now its point 3

In same meeting....Imran Khan has also said that ...it was wrong perception tht UAE had promised oil on deferred payment facility to Pak.... we had requested them for it but on day one....UAE told us....tht theres no such law in UAE which allows giving oil on deferred payments...

@Khafee Sir... your input and views needed now...

We don't have deep pockets like our neighbors, but we do have big hearts. InShaAllah khair.

My previous comment on this topic:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paki...-uae-oil-facility.608017/page-6#post-11277632

what's the good news? that nawaz sharif FINALLY popped an artery and went to hell in a hand basket once and for all?
What a naive and silly assertion may Allah give you guidance and you save you from his wrath.And protect you from the ill wishes of all those whom you have antagonised.

Recommended for my lovely Pakistanis around the world.

Heart is beating fast now, may God send his blessing to Pakistan with some extraordinary Good news.. Ameen

Finger crossed.

"Pressure kick" has been found in deep sea drilling. Gas reserves bigger than Sui reserves is expected to come to life soon.

"Pressure kick" has been found in deep sea drilling. Gas reserves bigger than Sui reserves is expected to come to life soon.

ENI is the operator of the block. If any statement shall come it shall come from ENI and not Exxon Mobil.

Recommended for my lovely Pakistanis around the world.

Heart is beating fast now, may God send his blessing to Pakistan with some extraordinary Good news.. Ameen

Finger crossed.

This is so wrong it's not even funny!

The supposed expert just stated that they drilled deep to the point the found "mud and a kick".

1. You don't find mud formation subsurface with such huge overburden. That is a stupid ignorant comment.
2. The mud is used as a fluid injected in along with your drill string. It is your well control that all wells use to maintain a hydrostatic pressure greater than any formation pressure.
3. A kick is not indicative of finding a significant source of trapped hydrocarbons

I think we should wait till the official statements come out instead of resorting to opinions of folks who don't really know what they talking about.

Last edited:
I have read someone mentioning ‘Dutch Disease’ in one of the posts elsewhere in the PDF. Since this relates to oil & gas and which happens to be my field, I would like to share my thoughts on the subject of getting "Rich quickly through finding huge deposits of oil and/or mineral resources" with fellow members.

In July 1959 the Slochteren -1 well discovered a gas field in the Groningen province of Holland with 100 tcf ( approx 16-billion bbl oil equivalent) of natural gas reserves. The bonanza of the sharp increase in revenue started pouring in from 1963 onwards. However, instead of increasing the economic development, Netherland experienced a decline in competitiveness resulting in a drastic decline in the economic growth in the immediately following years.

The above gave birth to a new economic term called ‘Dutch Disease’ which refers to the economic paradox where a windfall of revenues adversely affects the performance of the other sectors of the economy.

There can be no better example than the three countries blessed with immense natural resources.

Indonesia: In addition to 22-billion bbl. (oil equivalent) in crude & natural gas reserves, the country has 15 billion tons of proven and probable reserves of copper reserves. Is the 8th largest producer of gold in the world? Indonesia also has a 4.2 billion tons of proven bituminous coal reserves, and an additional 12.9 billion tons in inferred reserves. Having the world’s third-largest rain forest, it also has a large timber industry.

Nigeria: In addition to the 37-billion crude oil & about 190 tcf natural gas reserves; Nigeria also has substantial mineral resources.

Venezuela: On top of having the world’s largest petroleum reserves (300-billion bbl.), Venezuela has the 8th largest in the world in mineral resources. It is the It is one of the leading exporters of bauxite, coal, gold & iron.

Compare these countries with Austria. With a population of about 9-million, GDP of $461-billion, Austria it is the 15th richest country of the world in terms of GDP capita. Main sources of income are Services sector (70.3%), Industry (28.4%) with agriculture at a mere 1.3% of the economy. Austria does have mineral resources such as lignite iron ore & Magnesite; however annual mineral production worth is about $32-billion versus the service sector which contributes nearly $250-billion to the GDP.

Some might say that Austria is an extreme example, but we also have Singapore with a population of less than 6-million but with a GDP of $550-bilion. The economic base of Singapore comprises of financial service, electronics, chemicals, petroleum refining, ship repair, food & beverages.

It because of the highly qualified and skilled manpower that small & relatively natural resource-poor countries like Singapore & Austria are economically so strong but the natural resources rich countries are in such bad shape. The above proves beyond doubt that real wealth of any nation is her “Human Resource” and that windfall revenue from natural resources; though always welcome; is no guarantee for long term economic wellbeing and occasionally can even turn out to be a ‘Curse’!.

What I am trying to emphasize is that while we hope for the best from offshore drilling, neither a large find is an occasion for jumping with joy nor a dry hole would be a reason for despair. In my humble opinion, the primary goal of any developing nation should be to improve quality & productivity of her manpower which cannot be achieved by the culture of fake degrees and political patronage prevalent in Pakistan of today.

Last edited:
I have read someone mentioning ‘Dutch Disease’ in one of the posts elsewhere in the PDF. Since this relates to oil & gas and which happens to be my field, I would like to share my thoughts on the subject of getting "Rich quickly through finding huge deposits of oil and/or mineral resources" with fellow members.

In July 1959 the Slochteren -1 well discovered a gas field in the Groningen province of Holland with 100 tcf ( approx 16-billion bbl oil equivalent) of natural gas reserves. The bonanza of the sharp increase in revenue started pouring in from 1963 onwards. However, instead of increasing the economic development, Netherland experienced a decline in competitiveness resulting in a drastic decline in the economic growth in the immediately following years.

The above gave birth to a new economic term called ‘Dutch Disease’ which refers to the economic paradox where a windfall of revenues adversely affects the performance of the other sectors of the economy.

There can be no better example than the three countries blessed with immense natural resources.

Indonesia: In addition to 22-billion bbl. (oil equivalent) in crude & natural gas reserves, the country has 15 billion tons of proven and probable reserves of copper reserves. Is the 8th largest producer of gold in the world? Indonesia also has a 4.2 billion tons of proven bituminous coal reserves, and an additional 12.9 billion tons in inferred reserves. Having the world’s third-largest rain forest, it also has a large timber industry.

Nigeria: In addition to the 37-billion crude oil & about 190 tcf natural gas reserves; Nigeria also has substantial mineral resources.

Venezuela: On top of having the world’s largest petroleum reserves (300-billion bbl.), Venezuela has the 8th largest in the world in mineral resources. It is the It is one of the leading exporters of bauxite, coal, gold & iron.

Compare these countries with Austria. With a population of about 9-million, GDP of $461-billion, Austria it is the 15th richest country of the world in terms of GDP capita. Main sources of income are Services sector (70.3%), Industry (28.4%) with agriculture at a mere 1.3% of the economy. Austria does have mineral resources such as lignite iron ore & Magnesite; however annual mineral production worth is about $32-billion versus the service sector which contributes nearly $250-billion to the GDP.

Some might say that Austria is an extreme example, but we also have Singapore with a population of less than 6-million but with a GDP of $550-bilion. The economic base of Singapore comprises of financial service, electronics, chemicals, petroleum refining, ship repair, food & beverages.

It because of the highly qualified and skilled manpower that small & relatively natural resource-poor countries like Singapore & Austria are economically so strong but the natural resources rich countries are in such bad shape. The above proves beyond doubt that real wealth of any nation is her “Human Resource” and that windfall revenue from natural resources; though always welcome; is no guarantee for long term economic wellbeing and occasionally can even turn out to be a ‘Curse’!.

What I am trying to emphasize is that while we hope for the best from offshore drilling, neither a large find is an occasion for jumping with joy nor a dry hole would be a reason for despair. In my humble opinion, the primary goal of any developing nation should be to improve quality & productivity of her manpower which cannot be achieved by the culture of fake degrees and political patronage prevalent in Pakistan of today.

But bro, in my opinion we should jump with joy and thank Allah if we find huge resources of oil and gas cause we have only one solution now to save our country and that is oil and gas, think about it, we don't have good quality of education at this time so how can we have human resources? thousands and thousands of Pakistanis are praying to Allah because if the reserves are discovered, most of Pakistan's economic problems will be solved we will only success once we get out of dept, and we can only get out of dept once we have money and we have only one way left to earn the money and that is selling oil and gas to other countries.
If a country is suffering then of course its people will also suffer, first let the country prosper and then think about the nation, countries like Qatar, UAE and Saudi Arabia were very poor but got rich and famous due to oil and gas, Dubai is the richest city in the world because the oil was discovered in Dubai just over 50 years ago, look at Dubai of 1965.

If there's oil the way our p.m tells it, imma rename myself from chaudhry Mentee to

AlShaikh al chaudhry al Mentee al bakistani al indusvi rehmatullah Alayeh :smitten:

@Tps43 @Khafee @I.R.A

I will buy a flock and a herd of sheep and head towards mountains. Won't be able to breath living amongst so many Sheikhs :p:

IF so, then the F16 Blk70.....:whistle:

Pehley navy ki upgrade chahiye tel nikley to.
Get a couple of Subs on lease and a couple Destroyers with 4 - 5 fresh Frigates should help...
Secure the resource first before worrying about the skies, which are already doing fine.

We don't need a Navy that can go out and challenge NATO yet, but we do need a Navy that can make the Sea a nightmare for NATO and co if they do attempt venturing closer to our shores...

Back
Top Bottom