What's new

Gomal Zam dam in South Waziristan inaugurated

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
DERA ISMAIL KHAN: Minister for Water and Power Khwaja Muhammad Asif inaugurated the Gomal Zam Dam in South Waziristan’s militancy-ravaged Khajori Katch area on Thursday.

He was accompanied by US Ambassador Richard Olson, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Engineer Shaukatullah, Chairman of the Water and Power Development Authority Syed Raghib Shah, Minister of State Abid Sher Ali, MNA from North Waziristan Muhammad Nazir Khan, MNA from South Waziristan Ghalib Khan and senior officials.

Khwaja Asif expressed the hope that completion of the dam would bring about a ‘green revolution’ in South Waziristan, Tank and Dera Ismail Khan and pave the way for progress and prosperity in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

He said the project would produce 17.4 megawatts of electricity and also help develop the agriculture sector.

The minister said the government was giving priority to low-cost power projects.

He said the project would also protect South Waziristan, Tank and D.I. Khan from floods.

The US ambassador said that work was under way with the help of his country on various power projects in Pakistan. He said extension work on Satpara Dam, Guddu Barrage, Tarbela and Mangla would increase electricity production by 20,000MW. He also said that the US was playing its role in strengthening Pakistan.

Governor Shaukatullah said the completion of the project was a major achievement in efforts for economic revival in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas whose people cherished peace and democracy.

He said the project would give impetus to work on Kurram Tangi dam in North Waziristan and Munda dam in Mohmand Agency.

The nation, he said, was facing an energy crisis and seeking help from friends and well-wishers to resolve it. “If we overcome this problem we will definitely move towards economic stability.”

The governor praised the Frontier Works Organisation, Wapda and the local administration for the efforts put in and sacrifices rendered by them to complete the project.

Gomal Zam dam in South Waziristan inaugurated - DAWN.COM

Well 17 MW is basically peanuts. I am actually happier for the irrigation water that this damn will provide to the surrounding areas. Hundreds of villages around the damn will benefit from the 24/7 supply of sweet water for drinking, or irrigating their lands.

DERA ISMAIL KHAN: Minister for Water and Power Khwaja Muhammad Asif inaugurated the Gomal Zam Dam in South Waziristan’s militancy-ravaged Khajori Katch area on Thursday.

He was accompanied by US Ambassador Richard Olson, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Engineer Shaukatullah, Chairman of the Water and Power Development Authority Syed Raghib Shah, Minister of State Abid Sher Ali, MNA from North Waziristan Muhammad Nazir Khan, MNA from South Waziristan Ghalib Khan and senior officials.

Khwaja Asif expressed the hope that completion of the dam would bring about a ‘green revolution’ in South Waziristan, Tank and Dera Ismail Khan and pave the way for progress and prosperity in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

He said the project would produce 17.4 megawatts of electricity and also help develop the agriculture sector.

The minister said the government was giving priority to low-cost power projects.

He said the project would also protect South Waziristan, Tank and D.I. Khan from floods.

The US ambassador said that work was under way with the help of his country on various power projects in Pakistan. He said extension work on Satpara Dam, Guddu Barrage, Tarbela and Mangla would increase electricity production by 20,000MW. He also said that the US was playing its role in strengthening Pakistan.

Governor Shaukatullah said the completion of the project was a major achievement in efforts for economic revival in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas whose people cherished peace and democracy.

He said the project would give impetus to work on Kurram Tangi dam in North Waziristan and Munda dam in Mohmand Agency.

The nation, he said, was facing an energy crisis and seeking help from friends and well-wishers to resolve it. “If we overcome this problem we will definitely move towards economic stability.”

The governor praised the Frontier Works Organisation, Wapda and the local administration for the efforts put in and sacrifices rendered by them to complete the project.

Its electricity should be given to the local population nearby at cheaper rates.

Well 17 MW is basically peanuts. I am actually happier for the irrigation water that this damn will provide to the surrounding areas. Hundreds of villages around the damn will benefit from the 24/7 supply of sweet water for drinking, or irrigating their lands.

It will help eliminate/reduce poverty in the South Waziristan. I heard, previously they were irrigating banned crop in parts of South Waziristan. Later the Army told them to stop irrigating drugs and focus on wheat, rice etc. They asked for water and after years of hard work, now they will have no excuses but to irrigate legal crop. This will help them feed their families better and also improve the life of their families in the long run. I heard they were receiving free food from the Army since last couple of years... and now they should be able to irrigate barren land and fulfil their required demand by themselves.

Really happy to hear this news. Credit goes to PPP for completing this project

495520-GomalZamdamPHOTONNI-1358450716-883-640x480.jpg

gomal_zam_dam_500.jpg

url

5642660368_f11bca0257.jpg

slide-1.png

What about bhasha dam? is it true that it has been put on the back burner to please India?

It will help eliminate/reduce poverty in the South Waziristan. I heard, previously they were irrigating banned crop in parts of South Waziristan. Later the Army told them to stop irrigating drugs and focus on wheat, rice etc. They asked for water and after years of hard work, now they will have no excuses but to irrigate legal crop. This will help them feed their families better and also improve the life of their families in the long run. I heard they were receiving free food from the Army since last couple of years... and now they should be able to irrigate barren land and fulfil their required demand by themselves.

Really happy to hear this news. Credit goes to PPP for completing this project

Credit goes to USA.as they funded the project.this project was approved after more than 4 decades.
i had been to this DAM In jan 2012

Thats how you win hearts and minds. Thank you USA for helping us build a damn in such a crucial time.

I think the idiots at DAWN Newspaper don't know the difference between 2000 MW and 20,000 MW. The Extensions are as follows:

Tarbela Extension = 1410 MW
Mangla Extension = 120 MW
Guddu Barrage = 33 MW
Satpara = 17 MW

By my calculation, that is only an increase of 1680 MW. So how is Dawn Newspaper getting additional 20,000 MW from these projects.

This will add 17.4 megawatts to Pakistan's grid. However, by the end of 2013, around a total of 900 megawatts of electricity is expected to be added to the national grid from various American assisted programs.

Back
Top Bottom