What's new

Going to India

Hey guys we would love to take 10 years and travel all over India, but unfortunately we aren't made of money and we only have 5 weeks, which I had to beg for with my boss, but I am sure we will return, looking forward to it, leaving in 2.5 weeks or so, can;t wait.

Injai maadi, dodda Saheb-ru!

Hey guys we would love to take 10 years and travel all over India, but unfortunately we aren't made of money and we only have 5 weeks, which I had to beg for with my boss, but I am sure we will return, looking forward to it, leaving in 2.5 weeks or so, can;t wait.

Please come to India prepared for everything and expect the unexpected!!!...India is a country with billion plus population, so things will be rosy as well as nasty...come prepared!!! - I have traveled extensively in Europe and very well aware how things are in Europe and in my home country, once when you are adjusted to the way of Indian life then you will enjoy your stay...My humble advice don't go for cheep hotels and travel plan, all the major cities are connected by air and most of the air tickets will cost you from $60 to $150 economy class, if you planned to travel by Train go in the best , example for Mumbai - Delhi go by Rajdhani Express, which is fully Air Conditioned train with affordable price and is well maintained, and fare of Economy Class Rs.1495 ($28), 1st class Rs.2,185 ($40), Business Class - Rs.3,730 (68$) (all three time meal provided free) - also the distance traveled will be KM.1392 - in 16 hours you will reach Delhi form Mumbai.

Choosing your accommodation also go for decent hotels in the range of $50 to $100 per day, if you have big budget then you can go for 5 star hotels. Now there are many budget hotels with good accommodations such us the TATA group run Ginger Hotels there you will get good rooms at a price in the range of $20 to $40. Best Budget Hotels in India | Economy Hotels India | Ginger Hotels

Also please watch the below video from 2.45 seconds and you can hear it from a westerner how things and life are going to be in India...

Last edited by a moderator:
i think india should bring out a new law.... a law that will make sure india gets equal amount of tourist that we sending to other countries.... do u know what other country says to its people about india? Whenever a tourist says i want to go in india then they gets a advice.... They says dont go india u might get ill and India is f!Ith.... Well try to go mexico, south africa, brazil etc etc and come out alive.... Specially crime in mexico and south africa is so much that theres not many people come out of alive.... Yet no one says anything about them or gives any warnings. india should bring a law in which we should not send many tourists abroad until they send equal amount of tourists.... Look at china. We send far large amount of tourists while they dont.... While england is idiotic nation who says u go india and u are dead.... How pathetic.... Congress is black brits. They only knows how to disturb indians by corruption. Ram lila maidan incident i wont forget where they beaten innocent people and got away with it.... We need strong leaders who can smash idiotic nations who insult india....

Crime is there in Mexico but not in Yucatan peninsula which has Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Chichen Itza, Tulum and other tourist places. I just recommended Mexico to someone in my office today morning. In Cancun hotel zone, you can walk around with family even in the night and I have done that as well. And drive to Chichen Itza, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum is fun and safe.

It is like the situation in India where certain places are a no-no while many places are safe and a pleasure to visit.

We are going to be in India for 5 weeks in all, 2 days in Mumbai, then Kerala for 1 week, then back up to Delhi/Agra for a week and on to The Golden Triangle and then fly out of Delhi to Paris.

Kerala will be fun. Do not hesitate tasting local food and do not miss out on toddy with beef fry or Karimeen. And do not drive straight to Agra from Delhi. Take a detour and see Fatehpur Sikri. You can cover it in a day.

I only wish they could have done a little detour down the east coast passing through Pondicherry down to Chidambaram, exploring the incredible belt to the left as the road turns inland towards Tanjore, and finishing at Tanjore. But it would take a week, and obviously they don't have that much time. This is my favourite cultural tourism belt, and I keep visiting it as many times as I can.

I have taken that route several times. It is a beautiful drive from Chennai to Pondicherry on the East coast road. Have driven to Chidambaram, Seerkazhi and from there to Tanjore and to Trichy.

I owned an ambassador while my friends had Maruti but I had mine redone with TRAX suspension/seats/engine/Isuzu engine just for long drives and not so good roads.

I have taken that route several times. It is a beautiful drive from Chennai to Pondicherry on the East coast road. Have driven to Chidambaram, Seerkazhi and from there to Tanjore and to Trichy.

I owned an ambassador while my friends had Maruti but I had mine redone with TRAX suspension/seats/engine/Isuzu engine just for long drives and not so good roads.

That's interesting! Did it already have power steering? How was the bad road performance? I've beentryingtofigure out what to do for this kind of stuff, green-roaring, and just can't decide. You wouldn't like to open a thread in Members' Club to discuss this, would you?

Please come to India prepared for everything and expect the unexpected!!!...India is a country with billion plus population, so things will be rosy as well as nasty...come prepared!!! - I have traveled extensively in Europe and very well aware how things are in Europe and in my home country, once when you are adjusted to the way of Indian life then you will enjoy your stay...My humble advice don't go for cheep hotels and travel plan, all the major cities are connected by air and most of your air tickets will cost you from $60 to $150 economy class, if you planned to travel by Train go in the best , example Mumbai - Delhi go by Rajdhani Express, which is fully Air Conditioned train with affordable price and is well maintained, and fare of Economy Class Rs.1495 ($28), 1st class Rs.2,185 ($40), Business Class - Rs.3,730 (68$) (all three time meal provided free) - also the distance traveled will be KM.1392 - in 16 hours you will reach Delhi form Mumbai.

Choosing your accommodation also go for decent hotels in the range of $50 to $100 per day, if you have big budget then you can go for 5 star hotels. Now there are many budget hotels with good accommodations such us the TATA group run Ginger Hotels there you will get good rooms at a price in the range of $20 to $40. Best Budget Hotels in India | Economy Hotels India | Ginger Hotels

Also please watch the below video from 2.45 seconds and you can hear it from a westerner how things and life are going to be in India...

Macha! RT is anti-american propaganda, don't buy it :disagree:

Last edited by a moderator:
please do tell us how was your trip.....

dude seriously.........
Can't help it can you

Well, I can say that I was cheated in Udaypur and Agra and in Calcutta they tried to cheat me but I caught them. In Udaypur I bought an expensive souvenir and wanted them to parcel it to Delhi to my friend. They charged me for the parcel and assured it would take only 3 to 5 days. It never reached its destination.

In Agra, we took a package tour. We paid extra for AC bus, but the AC was not operating in the closed bus. We were forced to change our plan and went to Jaipur, instead of going back to Delhi. There was no refund.

They took us to a big souvenir shop not far from Agra and I bought a Taj Mohol miniature replica. It was a good looking one with stone works. When I opened the box containing Taj Mohol back home, it was in hundreds of pieces. To my dismay, they didn't give me the one I actually paid for. They changed it before packaging.

However, we got good service from photographer in Agra. We have nice memory of Taj Mohol in Moon Light. had to pay 200 Rs though for moon light.

That's interesting! Did it already have power steering? How was the bad road performance? I've beentryingtofigure out what to do for this kind of stuff, green-roaring, and just can't decide. You wouldn't like to open a thread in Members' Club to discuss this, would you?

Joe Sir - Sure I would. But I have to warn you that I had this done around 1997 (I moved to US in 1999 and visit India now and then). Having stated that, I can provide information on any specific questions you have. Also this is a common business in Chennai and Coimbatore as it is done by most garages.

As for the power steering I had it and the bad road performance was good as my father who rode with me mentioned he felt comfortable compared to the taxis what he would rent to visit his native place.

Joe Sir - Sure I would. But I have to warn you that I had this done around 1997 (I moved to US in 1999 and visit India now and then). Having stated that, I can provide information on any specific questions you have. Also this is a common business in Chennai and Coimbatore as it is done by most garages.
Actually as far as I think, he is genuinely asking you to start this thread....so that he and other members can have more info about it.....

Actually as far as I think, he is genuinely asking you to start this thread....so that he and other members can have more info about it.....

Mate - I know he was asking me to open this thread but I am just giving a prewarning that my memory is rusty but can help as much as I can. :)

And I am going to check with Vcheng who is into cars, whether a thread just for this one or if he has something to contribute, then cover hot rods as well.

Guys we are staying at good hotels as we have kids, although my kids aren't spoilt and would love to travel rough, but it's our first time in India and we thought it would be better for the kids to stay in good hotels. India is a country of great contradictions and in my research I have found out the good, the bad and the ugly, look at the end of the day India has a lot of problems, but I think in time things will get better.

India is basically a teenager, it is still a young country and is only 65 years old when you look at it, but it is a old and great civilization and of course things only can change slowly. Now that more Indians are traveling overseas and they see how Europe, USA, Australia etc do things they will learn and bring in fresh ideas into India and will change society peacefully and slowly, good things take time.

I know Indians love kids and a few people have told me that if you travel in India with kids, then you won't have problems finding help and just warm people wanting to talk to you etc. We are coming with an open mind, no judgements and no hate in our hearts, India will give to us what we give to India, and all you guys on here have been so helpful and tolerant of me. I know sometimes I bring things up that are uncomfortable for Indians to talk about openly, but you guys have been amazing in debating with me and giving me your sides of the story as well, thank you guys.

Mate - I know he was asking me to open this thread but I am just giving a prewarning that my memory is rusty but can help as much as I can. :)

And I am going to check with Vcheng who is into cars, whether a thread just for this one or if he has something to contribute, then cover hot rods as well.
HEHE...oops....cover Enfield along with it....

Back
Top Bottom