What's new

Gnawing issues in China-India relations

lhuang

Reaction score
Posting in full

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between India and China. Amid a series of exchanges of high-level congratulations and visits, news from the economic front is also exciting: The first two months of the year saw a 55 percent increase in bilateral trade as compared to 2009. All this seems to show that the relationship between the world's two most populous countries is faring well and will grow even stronger.

Behind this promising picture, however, a few gnawing issues are still standing in the way between the two titans. If not handled properly, the road ahead for them would not be as smooth as expected.
First, China and India share about 2,000 kilometers of border, and the boundary has never been formally delineated. The famous poet Robert Frost said in a well-known poem that "Good fences make good neighbors." Many confrontations between countries have been ignited by disputes in their border area. The two sides should quicken their steps on demarcation consultations that began in the 1980s.
Second, as China gains an increasing sphere of influence in the world arena, many Indians, including high-ranking officials, see China as a potential rival or even a threat to India. This may partly explain why India has yet to recognize China's market economy status, while over 60 countries have granted such status to China. Such anti-China sentiments will not help cultivate a friendly atmosphere for bilateral ties to grow, but rather sow the seeds of distrust between the two countries.

Third, India has always harbored a grudge over China's all-weather friendship with Pakistan. The China-Pakistan relationship is based on mutual trust and mutual support in nation building and international cooperation. To maintain a peaceful external environment, China also wants to build closer ties with India. If China could become a mutual friend to the two Asian rivals, it will contribute more to regional peace and stability. This will eventually serve India's interests as well.

To address these issues, the Indian side needs to show real sincerity in forging a more friendly relationship with China. An "Asia century" will remain only a dream until the two Asian giants can treat each other with mutual trust and respect.

Gnawing issues in China-India relations 

If you read the comments, it is interesting to see that Indians and Chinese are agreeing on many things, yet our countries are still not as friendly as I would like us to be.

Posting in full

Gnawing issues in China-India relations*

If you read the comments, it is interesting to see that Indians and Chinese are agreeing on many things, yet our countries are still not as friendly as I would like us to be.

You are right friend..but its not so easy to solve all those issues..typing letters on keyboard is much easier task than solving problems on a table..Even am also in favour of strong INDO-CHINA relations which can counter the west allys
:cheers:

Everything else can be settled in due course

Third, India has always harbored a grudge over China's all-weather friendship with Pakistan. The China-Pakistan relationship is based on mutual trust and mutual support in nation building and international cooperation. To maintain a peaceful external environment, China also wants to build closer ties with India. If China could become a mutual friend to the two Asian rivals, it will contribute more to regional peace and stability. This will eventually serve India's interests as well.

My only real issue with China

You want to be friends with Pakistan , go ahead. We may not like it , we can live with it.

But don't try to be the mediator between India and Pak

There is also the issue of Tibet, UNSC, NE insurgency, you forget, my friend.

I think that the issues can be countered with pragmatic decision making by both sides, not in the short term though!!! However the first and foremost thing to do would be to resolve the boundary issue fast. The second thing is to make clear to chinese that we are not us stooges (which is somewhat difficult and which is the second most imp factor in their anti india policies). However in the near near future it is not impossible that the two countries would come together on issues not only effecting bilaterally (on intl stage) but also strategic ones. Then we would have the asian show on the world stage for true. :cheers:

I am the biggest supported of India china friendship.
Although India should try to have strong friendship with all nation,actually we have but should try to make them stronger.

I’m a staunch supporter of Sino-India friendship.

As I always said, territorial dispute and Dalai Lama issue are the two huge showstoppers. But, I remember I saw an analysis on the Sino-India animosity: those two issues are perhaps still superficial. The deeper factors lie in the mentality of the two people.

The Chinese never acknowledge whatever imperialist did, including UK. The Indians consider themselves the heir of colonist UK, and must do according to what UK did, including the political system. Because, after many hundred year’s UK control, they completely believe UK system is far superior to any of their local/native systems.

This kind of mentality also causes Indian politicians to believe that their system must be superior to Chinese system and therefore they must, and naturally will, out perform China.

In front of the sharp contrast, given by cruel and iron realities of the two countries, envy becomes hatred, hope mutates into animosity.

Anybody who watched the CD about Sino-India 1962 conflict must remember one comment (roughly like): the Indians, being devastated, enslaved and ashamed for several hundred years under foreigners’ hoof, are longing desperately to demonstrate that they are finally the master of the country. They need a chance to wash away the shame. To show to the world of that, they need an enemy to beat. But very unfortunately, they pick China.

So far, I think there is only one thing that India indeed beats China: political freedom.

India does not beat China in politican freedom. You can't even say "I hate sonia gandhi" without being arrested. The politicians buy their votes. There is nothing india does that is higher than China other than poverty.

Despite its internal problems India-China alliance is still possible. We've dealt with far worse dictatorships before.

There is also the issue of Tibet, UNSC, NE insurgency, you forget, my friend.

can soemone tell me what exactly is india's(their government that is) issue with tibet?

whats the NE insurgency have to do with china?

can soemone tell me what exactly is india's(their government that is) issue with tibet?

India%20Tibet%20Protests.jpg

Watch Real Scene Of Protest Againist Chinese Rule, Near Tibet. Online - VideoSurf Video Search

whats the NE insurgency have to do with china?

Pakistan:Taliban::India:LTTE::China:ULFA/NSCN

Last edited:
India does not beat China in politican freedom. You can't even say "I hate sonia gandhi" without being arrested. The politicians buy their votes. There is nothing india does that is higher than China other than poverty.

Your eloquent verse is at best unsubstantiated BS.

Despite its internal problems India-China alliance is still possible. We've dealt with far worse dictatorships before.

If you work with whoever throws money at you, does that make you better or worse than any prostitute working off the streets?

Look, some of my relatives who live in China, were and are (sort of) democracy supporters, my parents were too. Over the years, the PRC has become freer, they wanted to immigrate with my parents, but after time passed they decided it wasn't worth it. Nobody is claiming China is perfect, but India had no problem being friends with the Communist USSR, why can't it be friends with Communist China?

I’m a staunch supporter of Sino-India friendship.

As I always said, territorial dispute and Dalai Lama issue are the two huge showstoppers. But, I remember I saw an analysis on the Sino-India animosity: those two issues are perhaps still superficial. The deeper factors lie in the mentality of the two people.

The Chinese never acknowledge whatever imperialist did, including UK. The Indians consider themselves the heir of colonist UK, and must do according to what UK did, including the political system. Because, after many hundred year’s UK control, they completely believe UK system is far superior to any of their local/native systems.

This kind of mentality also causes Indian politicians to believe that their system must be superior to Chinese system and therefore they must, and naturally will, out perform China.

In front of the sharp contrast, given by cruel and iron realities of the two countries, envy becomes hatred, hope mutates into animosity.

Anybody who watched the CD about Sino-India 1962 conflict must remember one comment (roughly like): the Indians, being devastated, enslaved and ashamed for several hundred years under foreigners’ hoof, are longing desperately to demonstrate that they are finally the master of the country. They need a chance to wash away the shame. To show to the world of that, they need an enemy to beat. But very unfortunately, they pick China.

So far, I think there is only one thing that India indeed beats China: political freedom.

Initially I thought you are right.
But after reading underlined part, I know you are not correct. :blah:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom