What's new

German Government To Cancel Saudi Tank Deal

I still don't get their reasoning to cancelling the deal? Is it really about Israel?

I still don't get their reasoning to cancelling the deal? Is it really about Israel?

In disguise most likely...because they germans don't see the atrocities, the bulldozing and throwing out of people from their homes and the massive human rights violation by israel, germany gifting them a couple of free Submarines as well yet they finger point at KSA. In the end who care KSA has the money it would get the best things out their according to its need I also suspect Typhoon next buy could be dumped in favor or either F-35s or something else they Germans will pay the price and all UK, Spain Italy would be just ready to dump Germany out of consortium...we just hope.

In disguise most likely...because they germans don't see the atrocities, the bulldozing and throwing out of people from their homes and the massive human rights violation by israel, germany gifting them a couple of free Submarines as well yet they finger point at KSA. In the end who care KSA has the money it would get the best things out their according to its need I also suspect Typhoon next buy could be dumped in favor or either F-35s or something else they Germans will pay the price and all UK, Spain Italy would be just ready to dump Germany out of consortium...we just hope.

Still makes me wonder if it's in disguise what's the real reason? Maybe it is about Israel?

Still makes me wonder if it's in disguise what's the real reason? Maybe it is about Israel?

It is all about israel...tell me if germany is so concerned about the use of tanks than they should stop building tanks to install peace in the world...stupid german logic. If germany is willing to lose billions for israel than so be it someone else is going to pocket that Saudi money:cheers:.

It is all about israel...tell me if germany is so concerned about the use of tanks than they should stop building tanks to install peace in the world...stupid german logic. If germany is willing to lose billions for israel than so be it someone else is going to pocket that Saudi money:cheers:.

A lot of things these days are about Israel and it's mysterious, I just don't understand it.

German Government To Cancel Saudi Tank Deal

BERLINThe German government will not approve a reported deal to sell up to 800 battle tanks to Saudi Arabia, a German Sunday newspaper said, citing government sources.

The sale of the Leopard-2 tanks was billed as one of the biggest deals for the German armaments industry, Bild reported.

But Economy Minister Sigmar Gabriel, a Social Democrat in the left-right “grand coalition,” has “positioned himself against a tanks delivery to the autocratic royal house,” it said, citing government sources.

“Without agreement from the economy minister, the deal has no chance,” Bild said.

The report said the deal was not sent for approval to the German national security council, which counts Chancellor Angela Merkel among its members.

In 2012 Bild am Sonntag reported that Saudi Arabia wanted to buy 600-800 Leopard battle tanks from Germany, more than twice as many as originally envisaged.

Its latest report Sunday said Saudi Arabia was chasing the German tanks for years and had budgeted nearly €18 billion ($25 billion) for them.

The Leopard-2 tanks, Germany’s main battle tank, is also produced under license in Spain.

Germany declined to sell heavy weapons to Saudi Arabia for decades because of concerns over human rights and fears for Israel’s security.

Contacted by AFP, an economy ministry spokeswoman said the government did not give information about “individual procedural stages of possible approvals for export of munitions.”

Better to go for JV with Germany....

Mobility you just can't field heavy weight tanks all across in wars specially to arab-african regions, there are tactics as well. I don't think US has any problem with supplying spares and anything holding other technology for KSA's M1s and for any future orders since M1s are the most modern tanks and fulfills the need why would KSA want to switch to another platform and build ground up infrastructure. KSA is not distancing itself from US military tech since the news of Germans delaying the deal a year already completed...Saudi Arabia ordered some tanks from US and upgrading all in US/Saudi Arabia....By the way the real order number of tanks from Germany was around 270 if the deal goes though and later more to have been expected but germans just destroyed their deal...Although KSA is looking to replace older tanks like amx-30 and some M60s thus more M1A2S could be expected in coming years probably once the upgrades are completed specially in place of M60s for AMX-30 I believe another platform would be chosen whatever that would be.
I will respond tommorow. Im going to sleep now.

KSA already has a superior M1s

M1 with KSA are not superior to Leopard or Challenger. Export version of M1 lacks depleted Uranium Armor and Gas turbine Engine. Export version of M1 is Under-Armored and Under-powered version of American M1A2 Abrahms.

If I were a Saudi policy-maker, I would go for the JF-17, and AK2 MBT. :-)

Are you planning to change your strategy in favour of Massed Armored charges?

M1 with KSA are not superior to Leopard or Challenger. Export version of M1 lacks depleted Uranium Armor and Gas turbine Engine. Export version of M1 is Under-Armored and Under-powered version of American M1A2 Abrahms.

Are you planning to change your strategy in favour of Massed Armored charges?

Any source for claim?

The new Saudi Arabia upgrades of the M1A2 is uranium armored with AGT 1500 gas turbine engine installed.

Any source for claim?

US Army M1A1/2 tank is powered by Avco Lyncoming AGT1500C gas turbine (export versions are powered by conventional diesel engine). Our set contains detailed power plant with complete compartment including covers and other small details in the rear of M1A.

CMK Kits ESHOP

I could not find link ATM but AFAIK US does not offer DU Armor in standard export version.

Not only that, US does not export DU APFSDS, instead it exports Titanium APFSDS.

200 Abrams M1A1 SA for Royal Moroccan Army

Back
Top Bottom