What's new

General Elections 1970

Karla M

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi everyone, well im a mexican girl...trying to write my bachelor's thesis about Pakistan... and there's this one part (among many others) where im kind of stuck...

So, let’s see I got this:

The very first General Elections held in Pakistan were in December 07, 1970… where the Awami League won in East Pakistan and the PPP won in West Pakistan…. unfortunately for Bhutto, East Pakistan was more populated than the West side, and since General Yahya Khan had stated that “one man, one vote” … this meant that Mujibur (leader of Awami League) could claim his right to form a Government… which of course, was rejected by West Pakistan leaders, since Mujibur had demanded for greater autonomy for East Pakistan and the creation of its own militia…

What I found a bit unclear is when ZA Bhutto flew to East to ask for a deal …
was it the idea of having two Prime Ministers? Bhutto in West and Muji in East??

Because right after Bhutto went back to West and stating “by the Grace of God, Pakistan has at last been saved!” then Operation Searchlight carried on…

Hi everyone, well im a mexican girl...trying to write my bachelor's thesis about Pakistan... and there's this one part (among many others) where im kind of stuck...

The very first General Elections held in Pakistan were in December 07, 1970… where the Awami League won in East Pakistan and the PPP won in West Pakistan…. unfortunately for Bhutto, East Pakistan was more populated than the West side, and since General Yahya Khan had stated that “one man, one vote” … this meant that Mujibur (leader of Awami League) could claim his right to form a Government… which of course, was rejected by West Pakistan leaders, since Mujibur had demanded for greater autonomy for East Pakistan and the creation of its own militia…

was it the idea of having two Prime Ministers? Bhutto in West and Muji in East??

Because right after Bhutto went back to West and stating “by the Grace of God, Pakistan has at last been saved!” then Operation Searchlight carried on…

Read Mujib's six point agenda.

and Bhutto only wanted power(he was ambitious to lead the Islamic world), he failed to convince Mujeeb, who was rightful to rule Pakistan(East & West both), therefore, bhutto's collusion with Military establishment and Bureaucracy(which was dominated by punjabi ethnic group (West Pakistan) and also didnt want the Bengali ethnic group(East Pakistan) to rule) led the nation to no point of return, hence India took advantage of the situation when military operation started, and used mukti bani militants to their advantage..

Sir @asad71 may explain you better and in detail. he is ex-military officer from that era :)

Thank you so much @Leader

Was it true that also General Yahya was also unwilling to give Mujeebur the power...? and also i read that Yahya used to do whatever Bhutto told him to... ¿?

Thank you so much @Leader

Was it true that also General Yahya was also unwilling to give Mujeebur the power...? and also i read that Yahya used to do whatever Bhutto told him to... ¿?

Yes, he didnt want Mujeeb to rule, Yahya wanted a ruler from West Pakistan, as military and bureaucracy establishment comprised from wes Pakistan, they didnt like the idea of having a East Pakistan's guy ruling over them, as you know our system was federal and presidential at that time.

and no, its not exactly true that General Yahya did whatever Bhutto wanted, but they were partners in it. General Yahya wanted Bhutto to rule the country, despite Mujeeb winning the General Elections..

p.s. the name is Mujeeb-ur-Rehman, spelled and spoken as mujeeb or mujeeb-ur-rehman. just saw you spell abit wrong...

there are plenty of learned members here, who are well versed on the subject. one of the best man around, I already mentioned.. hope you will do great in your thesis... any question please ask... @Spring Onion @Azlan Haider @BDforever are few others who can answer your questions.

ohh thanks for the correction.... !!! I had only read it as Mujibur Rahman... you know how western authors just dont mind about spelling...

ooh ok... I'll just start writing and then asking :D
thanks a lot

Mujib wanted two governing body for two pakistani parts, only remain 1 flag, 1 currency and 1 army thats it.
Bhutto flew to Bangladesh after the war which was too late.

rare video of western media during that time, telling the discrimination to East Pakistan by West Pakistan

Last edited:
Yes, he didnt want Mujeeb to rule, Yahya wanted a ruler from West Pakistan, as military and bureaucracy establishment comprised from wes Pakistan, they didnt like the idea of having a East Pakistan's guy ruling over them, as you know our system was federal and presidential at that time.

and no, its not exactly true that General Yahya did whatever Bhutto wanted, but they were partners in it. General Yahya wanted Bhutto to rule the country, despite Mujeeb winning the General Elections..

p.s. the name is Mujeeb-ur-Rehman, spelled and spoken as mujeeb or mujeeb-ur-rehman. just saw you spell abit wrong...

there are plenty of learned members here, who are well versed on the subject. one of the best man around, I already mentioned.. hope you will do great in your thesis... any question please ask... @Spring Onion @Azlan Haider @BDforever are few others who can answer your questions.
:raise: you missed @Armstrong

Mujib wanted two governing body for two pakistani parts, only remain 1 flag, 1 currency and 1 army thats it.
Bhutto flew to Bangladesh after the war which was too late.

rare video of western media during that time, telling the discrimination to East Pakistan by West Pakistan

thanks for posting the video! i am watching...
but
wait wait....
I had understood that Mujeeb wanted a separate militia for the East and he wanted a different currency ...

also that Bhutto flew to cut a deal before the military operation .... :O

thanks for posting the video! i am watching...
but
wait wait....
I had understood that Mujeeb wanted a separate militia for the East and he wanted a different currency ...

also that Bhutto flew to cut a deal before the military operation .... :O
totally opposite what you heard LOL
military operation held without any provocation, it has nothing to do with deal, bhutto wanted deal after liberation war.

ooooh if it was already independent.. why did he go?

ahhh haha ....

omg now i dont know... i have already written on my thesis that Bhutto went back to West and the Operation started... it just sounded like the last scene of The Godfather

Back
Top Bottom