What's new

Gen Raheel gets 90 Acre for agriculture

http://www.dawn.com/news/1310568/gen-raheel-gets-90-acres-for-agriculture

LAHORE: The allotment of 90 acres of prime land here to former army chief Gen Raheel Sharif sparks a lot of debate despite security establishment’s explanation that there was nothing out of the ordinary about it.

The land in the Bedian Road area has been in focus since rumours first appeared about Gen Raheel being awarded the 90 acres. These were followed by news reports questioning the logic behind the grant of land.

On Tuesday a security establishment official told Dawn there was nothing unusual about the allotment. Over the last few years, the Bedian Road stretch, around where Gen Raheel’s land is located, has turned into a favourite haunt of the moneyed people looking for a privileged farm-house living away from the humdrum of the city. This has sent prices skyrocketing there.

It is believed the entry of an ex-army chief like Gen Raheel Sharif, who had previously donated a plot meant for residential purposes to the army’s martyrs, will enhance the profile of the locality.

As per rules, such allotments to army officials are decided at the General Headquarters (GHQ) and conveyed to the Border Area Committee concerned.

The official said there was “nothing unusual’ about the land allotment. Gen Raheel Sharif was allotted the land “in accordance with the existing rules and purely on merit,” he said.

“It is agricultural land and will be used for this purpose alone. It will not be used for commercial purpose as is the impression being created by some,” the official said in an obvious reference to the stories carried in the media.

The commercial value does not affect the case of Gen Raheel’s land since, as the security establishment officials insist, this agricultural land cannot be transferred.

Every army chief gets a similar volume of agricultural land on retirement,” the official said, adding the land allotted to Gen Raheel was located some 5km from Lahore’s border area.

About the timing of the allotment of the land to the former army chief that is December 2014, he said: “The process of the allotment of agricultural land begins during the tenure of an army chief and he is given possession upon his retirement.”

The Punjab government’s role in it is minimal. All it does in such cases is register the allotment of property in its revenue record.

“It is the Border Area Committee which secures the land in the radius of 5km of the border and it is allotted to the army martyrs and officials. The Border Area Committee allocates land in collaboration with the General Headquarters (GHQ). The Revenue department of the provincial government maintains its record,” Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah told Dawn.

“It is not the discretion of the Punjab government to allot this land to any one,” he added.

Published in Dawn January 25th, 2017

Why should a retired coas have to given so much land? You can give them one acre land instead as the land is very valuable (rs.100 cror ) .culture need to change pampering army instead focus on other civil servant too.

If you providing so much facilities to armed forces any young generation ambition will be serving armed forces not for mother land but personal gain.

Well 90 acres is a LOT of land to be given to a government officer. I wonder whether an NCO or other ranks get similar parcels. Bad precedent and encourages corruption and nepotism in the long run.

I believe there's no good reason for such hand-outs in any self-respecting country. I'm against extra privileges to any employee who is not forced into employment (such as a conscript). An officer joins as a professional, gets professional pay and is expected to deliver the goods. I see this mindset in India a lot - questioning the unending basket of goodies for the forces is politically incorrect - and everybody competes with each other to give freebies - all at taxpayer expense, of course.

And salary of Major General in PA is around Rs120-140k ($1,200-$1,400) per month. I have no issues with them being given land and a home at their retirement.

Why should a retired coas have to given so much land? You can give them one acre land instead as the land is very valuable (rs.100 cror ) .culture need to change pampering army instead focus on other civil servant too.

If you providing so much facilities to armed forces any young generation ambition will be serving armed forces not for mother land but personal gain.

What personal gains!? They risk their lives for the country! And it's not a walk in the park getting in the PA and serving for 3 decades going up from cadet to General! You think it's an easy life!?

Congradulatuons should have attained 100 acrea

100% deserved

90 acre land in return for his services are much less.
For all dump indians here, he donated his 8 crore worth retirement package to army shuhada fund.
Salute to this gentlemen Gen Raheel
What does he did extraordinary,we trained him from a teem to a soldier and paid well for his training throughout his career,he wasn't serving in charity,he even failed to do for what he was paid.

90 acre land in return for his services are much less.
For all dump indians here, he donated his 8 crore worth retirement package to army shuhada fund.
Salute to this gentlemen Gen Raheel
Because 1 billion worth land was already allocated to him in December 2014. 8 Crore donation looks peanuts . If you can question to imran khan & nawaz sharif for land & big properties , army officer is not exception. We should not allocate more than 5 canal for high rank officer, It doesn't happen anywhere in the world unless you have dictatorship , Man this is 90 acres of land from tax payer money

Because 1 billion worth land was already allocated to him in December 2014. 8 Crore donation looks peanuts . If you can question to imran khan & nawaz sharif for land & big properties , army officer is not exception. We should not allocate more than 5 canal for high rank officer, It doesn't happen anywhere in the world unless you have dictatorship , Man this is 90 acres of land from tax payer money

90 Acres is tooo much, what can one person do with that? (Other than to sell some of it for a profit)

I think that person doesnt recognise how much 90 is actually is, its big enough to be a town on its own.

Especially its located in prime area, where schools or hospitals could be built instead.

Dude, don't consider him a typical general. I agree with you about 5 canal for a typical general but he is not a typical general. He lead Pakistan from front in one of the most difficult times Pakistan ever faced.

90 acre land doesn't worth more than 100 million Rs and if he has donated his 8 crore retirement package to army shahuda fund than this 90 acre land doesn't matter at all.

No country in the world had successfully completed 90% of an operation against terrorists like Zarb e Azb which he started, architect-ed and completed (96%).

What does he did extraordinary,we trained him from a teem to a soldier and paid well for his training throughout his career,he wasn't serving in charity,he even failed to do for what he was paid.

He didn't failed to do for what he was paid. You don't quote me because I am not interested in responding to an ignorant like you. I mean, only an ignorant can say what you said.

What's wrong with a Nation awarding her Son, Sons like this isn't born every day, I am a conservative with a BIG "C" and I think 90 acres isn't even close to what this man deserves, he made us all proud, he took on enemy that didn't wear uniform and won that takes guts that his predecessor didn't have and for that I thank him from the bottom of my heart

He has donated his most valuable plots to shuhda fund. And this 90 acre land worth hardly 8 to 9 crores. He deserve that at least.

And salary of Major General in PA is around Rs120-140k ($1,200-$1,400) per month. I have no issues with them being given land and a home at their retirement.

What personal gains!? They risk their lives for the country! And it's not a walk in the park getting in the PA and serving for 3 decades going up from cadet to General! You think it's an easy life!?

Its may be not easy to get into PA but they didn't serve without benefit they were provide with monetary benefit. A retired armed force officer should be granted enough facility but the size seems excessive .

What's wrong with a Nation awarding her Son, Sons like this isn't born every day, I am a conservative with a BIG "C" and I think 90 acres isn't even close to what this man deserves, he made us all proud, he took on enemy that didn't wear uniform and won that takes guts that his predecessor didn't have and for that I thank him from the bottom of my heart

He did what a COAS should do it was his responsibility to wipe out terrorism which he did successfully and surly nation thanks him but again for a retired general/COAS benefit seems excessive . btw how you will provide retirement benefit to police chief who and his forces giving 24 hours security to all over Pakistan not just in border .

He has donated his most valuable plots to shuhda fund. And this 90 acre land worth hardly 8 to 9 crores. He deserve that at least.

90 acre land cost 100 crores in the report .

90 Acres is tooo much, what can one person do with that? (Other than to sell some of it for a profit)
3 Ferrari cars 2016 version+ 2 Bugatti version 2016 model +2 Yamaha sports bike new model, 3 Honda civic turbo , 6 canal furnished house. :D

Back
Top Bottom