What's new

Gandhi Jayanti - A tribute to 'Father of the Nation'

Why do you want to bring Politics to remember the Father of Nation...........
Or you feel that he should not be remembered...............
But don't forget the Support Anna got from all over India for his PEACEFUL fight against GOI.........

Pls don't forget how Congress dealt with him first. They called him everything short of being an ISI agent and imprisoned him in jail and all this was done a Govt led by a party which prides itself in its non-violent struggle against British. They thought by confusing Indians they could do another 'Baba Ramdev' on Anna Hazare. Anna Hazare was just lucky to live in an internet age where information is very hard to suppress.

I heard a story about Ho Chi Minh, the father of Modern Vietnam. A journalist once asked him why he is going for violent methods to confront French (he was fighting French at that time) but should rather adopt Gandhian methods of non -violent protests. He answered that if Gandhi had faced French instead of British, he would have shut his Satyagraha shop in a week.

So, I don't believe that his methods are practical in this world. India which got independence through non-violence is now home to the 4th largest Armed Forces...Why?Because unlike us our neighbours don't believe in non-violence but rather 'might is right' for them.The greatest example of that stupidity was in 1962, when our Armed forces was found to be no match for PLA..The reason, our first PM Nehru thought that Army is unnecessary for a country found on non-violent principles. In a way thank God for '1962', otherwise Nehru would have severely weakened or disbanded IA altogether.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

India is home to the 4th largest Armed Forces. Why don't we just disband it and post Gandhain volunteers at the borders. Lets see how they fare against our neighbour's bullets.

I agree with you. British people are bit less brutal then other colonial occupier. french, protugies, spain they changed entire language, religion. Look at africa and south america. in mexico language is Spanish, brazil it is protugise .

Subash chandra bose is right

both are right in their own ways.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Gandhi jayanti: Indian community abroad pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi

GENEVA/LONDON: President Pratibha Patil today led the Indian community abroad in paying homage to the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 142nd birth anniversary.

Patil, who is in Geneva on a State Visit to Switzerland, offered flowers at the statute, where a group of Indian children sang 'Ram dhun'.

In the UK, leading dignitaries, including the Mayor of Camden Councillor Abdul Quadir, gathered at Tavistock Square in central London to mark the day, also celebrated globally as the International Non-violence Day.

After garlanding the bust of Mahatma Gandhi, Quadir referred to the outstanding achievements of the Mahatma and said "he came to moralise politicians".

Acting High Commissioner Rajesh Prasad said, "Gandhiji's message of Non-Violence is relevant even today."

He noted that the United Nations General Assembly announced on June 15, 2007 that October 2 would be celebrated as the International day of Non-Violence.

Devotional songs were sung at the function organised by India League.

In Moscow, Indian Ambassador to Russia Ajai Malhotra and the local Indian community paid floral tributes to the Father of the nation.

In spite of chilly autumn morning the members of the community gathered at Gandhi monument at the Indian Embassy compound.

The students of Embassy School sang Gandhiji's favourite bhajans advocating the harmony of various faiths.

In Nepal, top leaders of the country, including Maoist chief Prachanda and former Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, stressed on the need to follow the foot steps of Mahatma Gandhi in order to take forward the stalled peace process and complete the task of drafting a new Constitution in the country.

Link

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Pakistani makes Gandhi's portrait with blood

It was a rare event to see a Pakistani draw a portrait of Mahatma Gandhi and, that too, with his blood. Abdul Waseel presented one such creation of his on Sunday - the birth anniversary of Gandhi - at the Gandhi Darshan in Delhi.

"I think this is the best way to tell people of both the countries that its time we forget hostility, and live together. I know Mahatma Gandhi professed non-violence, but my blood to pay him tribute means no more blood sheds should be there on any side of the border,” said Lahore-based Waseel, who had come here to pay his respects to Gandhi.

"People have been giving mixed response to my way of paying the tribute. I hope this melts hearts,” Waseel added.

Popularly known as 'Painter Babu' in Lahore, Waseel owns a small shop on Allama Iqbal Road. The calligrapher made the portrait back in 2009 by drawing blood from his veins with a syringe.

"I had the Mahatma's image sketched in my mind. I wanted to bring it on canvas,” Waseel said, adding that he also has drawn portraits of former Pakistan prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela with blood.

He presented Gandhi's portrait to Tara Gandhi Bhattacharjee, the granddaughter of the Mahatma and vice-chairperson of Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti near the Rajghat.

"Somewhere we have lacked in carrying forward what the Father of the Nation left for us. The two minute silence is a call to look inside and know how violent we are,” Tara Gandhi said before the two-minute silence, titled 'moment of introspection', was observed at 12 noon at the memorial.

Born this day in 1869 at Porbandar in Gujarat, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi is celebrated as Gandhi Jayanti across the country. It is also marked as the International Day of Non-Violence. He was assassinated on January 30, 1948.

Link

The thing is, there are weaklings even amongst us who wish to live in denial and not accept reality so that they can continue to fence-sit in national matters. And then there are those who know that coward's reality very well. His distortion of truths and his sidekicks playing with the nation will always be remembered as tragic and his followers as traitors and slaves of colonial mentality.

Are you out of your ******* mind?

Thank You Mr Gandhi partition would have not been possible without your sage wisdom, :pakistan:

Thank You Mr Gandhi partition would have not been possible without your sage wisdom, :pakistan:

I'm not sure if Gandhi was responsible for partition(but then again you're pretty good at history! :lol:), but if he was, my admiration for him would manifold! Because of him we got rid of trouble making tribal groups and prosper freely!

Now please don't cite your persian heritage, the English girl you have, your brother's sikh girlfriend and how you dated many-a-fair lady as rebuttal! :P

I agree with you. British people are bit less brutal then other colonial occupier. french, protugies, spain they changed entire language, religion. Look at africa and south america. in mexico language is Spanish, brazil it is protugise .
The Belgians cut off the hands of Congolese who failed to collect their required quota of rubber sap. So, yes the British was brutal but not so brutal as other colonial powers. Somewhere I read that Gandhi was more welcome to British as his non-violent means meant British Govt was able to commit only less resources to counter it. Suppose this was an insurgency, imagine the police , army and other resources that Britian had to commit so as to counter it.

The Belgians cut off the hands of Congolese who failed to collect their required quota of rubber sap. So, yes the British was brutal but not so brutal as other colonial powers. Somewhere I read that Gandhi was more welcome to British as his non-violent means meant British Govt was able to commit only less resources to counter it. Suppose this was an insurgency, imagine the police , army and other resources that Britian had to commit so as to counter it.

There were several armed groups fighting for freedom in Bengal, Punjab, Maharastra etc. Didn't bother the British a bit. Remember they were the sole superpower of their time and technologically lightyears ahead of Indians.

I'm not sure if Gandhi was responsible for partition(but then again you're pretty good at history! :lol:), but if he was, my admiration for him would manifold! Because of him we got rid of trouble making tribal groups and prosper freely!

Now please don't cite your persian heritage, the English girl you have, your brother's sikh girlfriend and how you dated many-a-fair lady as rebuttal! :P

We can agree, that Gandhi was a wise man, and helped the birth of two independent countries :)

There were several armed groups fighting for freedom in Bengal, Punjab, Maharastra etc. Didn't bother the British a bit. Remember they were the sole superpower of their time and technologically lightyears ahead of Indians.

Sorry never heard of it or may be I am weak in history but lets face it rather than occasional assassination of a British Commander, if our freedom struggle was that of the Maoists today British would had a hard time containing it

All I can say is, 'Bacche ki le li' :lol:

You're one sick child molester. :lol:

Why do you want to bring Politics to remember the Father of Nation...........
Or you feel that he should not be remembered...............
But don't forget the Support Anna got from all over India for his PEACEFUL fight against GOI.........

Anna ji's fight against CORRUPTION was peaceful because he doesn't want his country to get into chaos with revolt against this government. WTF was happening when Brits were ruling? The country was ALREADY occupied. The idea was to free it from them; not to fight against corruption under their rule. If you didn't know, Anna Hazare ji has also been a warrior in his prime. He was a part of the Indian Army and fought valiantly in 65. He has proven himself.

What has Gandhi got to his credit? Fighting and killing Boer soldiers in their own land and support occupation? Murder Bhagat Singh by refusing to sign his freedom? Promising Brits of handing Neta ji over if captured? Urging thousands of Indian soldiers to fight and die for British in WW2; a fight that was not even ours? Causing more violence than all the bullcrap "Ahimsa" that he preached?

You tell me what credit does he have?

Here's the thing for you:

Invaders are not to be fought with hunger strikes and placards; it has never happened in the history of mankind. Nor it will ever. Enemy is not fought by appeasing him and bleeding your own. He is conquered only through war. War is the duty when injustice is spread against people.

Father of nation my foot. Our nation is too ancient and has borne too many true selfless valiant heros for a coward to be called "father".

I don't worship a coward treacherous whimsical old geezer who tore the nation apart and appeased enemies sending thousands of Indian soldiers to fight for our occupiers. That worshipping might be your sign and weakness is clearly visible there.

Pls don't forget how Congress dealt with him first. They called him everything short of being an ISI agent and imprisoned him in jail and all this was done a Govt led by a party which prides itself in its non-violent struggle against British. They thought by confusing Indians they could do another 'Baba Ramdev' on Anna Hazare. Anna Hazare was just lucky to live in an internet age where information is very hard to suppress.

I din,t read or hear any such news.......
Don,t compare Baba with Anna........The ordinary man of India is not a fool.
Its better to say GOI rather than Congress....They underestimated the power of satyagraha
What about JP........

Even the Indians are divided in their admiration for Gandhi :rolleyes:

To me, based on what I've read, he's a great man as a person. Whether his methods are practical in today's world, that's a whole different topic.

Just because you see some 'internet Indians' saying these things, doesn't mean a lot of people in India hates Gandhi. Not even 5%. His title of 'father of the nation' isn't challenged there for a reason.

I din,t read or hear any such news.......
Don,t compare Baba with Anna........The ordinary man of India is not a fool.
Its better to say GOI rather than Congress....They underestimated they power of satyagraha
What about JP........

Man don't be fooled that satyagraha got us independence. It is other factor mainly due to world war 2 and other rebellions.

If it is not the case why all countries got independance more or less at that time period.

Back
Top Bottom