What's new

[Gallery] Everyday Life in Iran

"Reasonable"... lol no.

Well, he has his perspective and incentives and we have ours. IMO his points are supported by reasoning. I might not agree with those reasoning but that is another question :)

Thanks. I consider myself a learner who just tries to understand what is going on. I do have my fair share of prejudice so I don't think also that I am that reasonable. We could perhaps talk later in a different thread as I don't want to get way off topic.

That is what I figured. Yes it sounds good! Next time there is a thread with political agenda on ME-conflicts then I will make sure to tag you.

Next time there is a thread with political agenda on ME-conflicts then I will make sure to tag you.
I'm sure he will tell you all about how all Iranians are Zartoshti or Atheist racists and have no reason at all to dislike Saudi Arabia other than the ethnicity of its citizens. After he should know, he talked to loads of Iranians in California! (Or was it Canada)

I'm sure he will tell you all about how all Iranians are Zartoshti or Atheist racists and have no reason at all to dislike Saudi Arabia other than the ethnicity of its citizens. After he should know, he talked to loads of Iranians in California! (Or was it Canada)
If that would be the case then it would be a short lived discussion :)

Well, he has his perspective and incentives and we have ours. IMO his points are supported by reasoning. I might not agree with those reasoning but that is another question :)

That is what I figured. Yes it sounds good! Next time there is a thread with political agenda on ME-conflicts then I will make sure to tag you.

Kool.

I didn't say, and I have never said that all Iranians are Zoroastrians or atheists. There is a small number of real Zoroastrians, and also a small number of the so called "Zoroastrian reverts". There are also folks who pretend to have some affinity with Zoroastrianism by wearing Farvahars but they aren't generally serious, and almost no nothing about real Zoroastrianism. In my opinion, most Iranians are nominal Shia with nearly %20 -%30 of the population that can be described as religious. There are however sizable communities of atheists, desits, agnostics, and also the very indifferent group of people. Racism is real in Iran, just like it is real all over the ME. Most Iranians are racist not just against Arabs, but against themselves. They may make fun of Azeris and call them Khars, they stereotype Shirazis as lazy, Isfahanis as cheap and greedy, Rashtis and other Shomali people as "gherat-free". Hardly any Iranian gets surprised, or uncomfortable if someone states the racial slurs "tazi", "soosmar-khor", or "malakh-khor" over a dinner table. They would hardly remember the fact that it was said (2 minutes later). It is not an exaggeration to say that being an anti-arab is something that everyone sees as a patriotic act in Iran. Arabs are just as racist and obnoxious when it comes to Iranians, but Iran only comes in mind when poltics or conflict brings it into the headlines. At the time of peace and stability, Iran is hardly part of any conversation.

@Sina-1

I didn't say, and I have never said that all Iranians are Zoroastrians or atheists. There is a small number of real Zoroastrians, and also a small number of the so called "Zoroastrian reverts". There are also folks who pretend to have some affinity with Zoroastrianism by wearing Farvahars but they aren't generally serious, and almost no nothing about real Zoroastrianism. In my opinion, most Iranians are nominal Shia with nearly %20 -%30 of the population that can be described as religious. There are however sizable communities of atheists, desits, agnostics, and also the very indifferent group of people. Racism is real in Iran, just like it is real all over the ME. Most Iranians are racist not just against Arabs, but against themselves. They may make fun of Azeris and call them Khars, they stereotype Shirazis as lazy, Isfahanis as cheap and greedy, Rashtis and other Shomali people as "gherat-free". Hardly any Iranian gets surprised, or uncomfortable if someone states the racial slurs "tazi", "soosmar-khor", or "malakh-khor" over a dinner table. They would hardly remember the fact that it was said (2 minutes later). It is not an exaggeration to say that being an anti-arab is something that everyone sees as a patriotic act in Iran. Arabs are just as racist and obnoxious when it comes to Iranians, but Iran only comes in mind when poltics or conflict brings it into the headlines. At the time of peace and stability, Iran is hardly part of any conversation.

@Sina-1

As expected, you exaggerated almost everything about the state of racism and religion. Iranians racist against each other holding the current state of affairs for hundreds and hundreds of years. I was going to say you obviously have never set foot in Iran, but I doubt that would make a difference.

And Iranians have much, much more reasons to hate Saudi than ethnicity. If I have to spell it out for you, it's the Saudi regime's cesspit of actions worldwide.

@Sina-1

BS made from reading internet forums.

@Sina-1

This is what happens when you gather all your info from Internet, trying to act like an expert and impress others with some special words and issues you learned on a website or a blog.

It may sound interesting to a foreigner, but for an Iranian, what you wrote is more of a comical script written by someone who has no idea about the issue except using Internet as his only source. Believe me, you know nothing, you are scratching the surface, but you know nothing.

The same way we don't embarrass ourselves by talking about jokes the Nejdis make on the dinner table, trying to impress others, I suggest you do the same too.

As expected, you exaggerated almost everything about the state of racism and religion. Iranians racist against each other holding the current state of affairs for hundreds and hundreds of years. I was going to say you obviously have never set foot in Iran, but I doubt that would make a difference.

And Iranians have much, much more reasons to hate Saudi than ethnicity. If I have to spell it out for you, it's the Saudi regime's cesspit of actions worldwide.

Amir, I don't blame Iranians if they hate Saudis. That's a normal thing, and how can they not hate us if we have been looking to harm them ever since the 1979 revolution? Race is part of it, but it is not everything. What I object to is your denial that Iranians are anti-Arabs in general when it is just obvious (especially Peninsula Arabs). I am not in denial about my own people's prejudice but you seem to be. As for religion, this has been my observation for the last 13 years. Being from KSA, I have been seeing all types of Muslims from all backgrounds inside KSA and out, and I could again be still wrong and I am willing to learn. But, the amount of grudge and hatred of Islam I saw among Iranians or ex-Muslims Iranians was more than what I encountered from any other race or group. That said, as I mentioned in my post, most Iranians are still nominal Shia with about quarter of them who are practicing. The number of non-believers is relatively high for a Muslim country.
This is what happens when you gather all your info from Internet, trying to act like an expert and impress others with some special words and issues you learned on a website or a blog.

It may sound interesting to a foreigner, but for an Iranian, what you wrote is more of a comical script written by someone who has no idea about the issue except using Internet as his only source. Believe me, you know nothing, you are scratching the surface, but you know nothing.

The same way we don't embarrass ourselves by talking about jokes the Nejdis make on the dinner table, trying to impress others, I suggest you do the same too.

Instead of blindly trying to discredit what I have said, get into details and refute the incorrect facts one by one. The blanket denial thing was clear from your post.

I think @AmirPatriot & @Serpentine went a bit harsh on you @Full Moon. That's an Iranian trait btw blunt and no sugar coating :)

You had a lot of different claims. I will adress them one by one.

Racism is real in Iran, just like it is real all over the ME.

Sure. Racism is real all over the world even. We all have prejudice, some more and some less.

There are however sizable communities of atheists, desits, agnostics, and also the very indifferent group of people.

I don't know about that. Non-practitioners is not the same as non-believers. Also do not extrapolate the stories you hear form us Iranians living abroad, on all of Iran. We do not represent Iranians living in Iran. Our views is not mono-iranic anymore.

Most Iranians are racist not just against Arabs, but against themselves. They may make fun of Azeris and call them Khars, they stereotype Shirazis as lazy, Isfahanis as cheap and greedy, Rashtis and other Shomali people as "gherat-free".

This doesn't say anything about the level racism. In Sweden we have the same lingo where we call e.g. people from småland cheap, people from örebro for whining etc etc For the record, I am azari and I constantly use the phrase torke khar. And I have cracked 1000s of torke khar jokes to my azari relatives and they love it. Keep in mind, I am not saying that this means that we are not racist, but it neither constitutes a reason that we are.

Hardly any Iranian gets surprised, or uncomfortable if someone states the racial slurs "tazi", "soosmar-khor", or "malakh-khor" over a dinner table. They would hardly remember the fact that it was said (2 minutes later).

It is not an exaggeration to say that being an anti-arab is something that everyone sees as a patriotic act in Iran.

Actually it is rather large exaggeration. You are painting with a large brush here, we need to break it down. I cannot recall any instance that an Iranian has been anti-Iraqi or Syrian or Lebanese. Actually I remember even during the war with Iraq we never said Iraqis, we always said Saddam, keeping apart the real enemy from the people. That being said, we are extremely bothered with a lot of the PG-Arab states, thats for sure. SA with salafist and wahabist ideology export. UAE whining about the islands they claim are theirs. Qatar which until recently have invested a lot to topple Assad etc. However this does not constitute us being anti-arab. We are anti-everything which is anti-Iran.

What I object to is your denial that Iranians are anti-Arabs in general when it is just obvious (especially Peninsula Arabs).

read above.

ut, the amount of grudge and hatred of Islam I saw among Iranians or ex-Muslims Iranians was more than what I encountered from any other race or group.

As I said earlier you really have to be careful who's views you are collecting. A lot of Iranians living abroad have an unhealthy hate for mullahs. Everything related to mullahs is evil. You cannot have a logical conversation with these people because everything just goes back to the evil plan of mullahs and that everything they do is to destroy Iran, even what is perceived as good is only a plot for a worse coming. Their views does not necessarily reflect Iranians in Iran.

I think @AmirPatriot & @Serpentine went a bit harsh on you @Full Moon. That's an Iranian trait btw blunt and no sugar coating :)

Sure. Racism is real all over the world even. We all have prejudice, some more and some less.

I don't know about that. Non-practitioners is not the same as non-believers. Also do not extrapolate the stories you hear form us Iranians living abroad, on all of Iran. We do not represent Iranians living in Iran. Our views is not mono-iranic anymore.

This doesn't say anything about the level racism. In Sweden we have the same lingo where we call e.g. people from småland cheap, people from örebro for whining etc etc For the record, I am azari and I constantly use the phrase torke khar. And I have cracked 1000s of torke khar jokes to my azari relatives and they love it. Keep in mind, I am not saying that this means that we are not racist, but it neither constitutes a reason that we are.

Actually it is rather large exaggeration. You are painting with a large brush here, we need to break it down. I cannot recall any instance that an Iranian has been anti-Iraqi or Syrian or Lebanese. Actually I remember even during the war with Iraq we never said Iraqis, we always said Saddam, keeping apart the real enemy from the people. That being said, we are extremely bothered with a lot of the PG-Arab states, thats for sure. SA with salafist and wahabist ideology export. UAE whining about the islands they claim are theirs. Qatar which until recently have invested a lot to topple Assad etc. However this does not constitute us being anti-arab. We are anti-everything which is anti-Iran.

read above.

As I said earlier you really have to be careful who's views you are collecting. A lot of Iranians living abroad have an unhealthy hate for mullahs. Everything related to mullahs is evil. You cannot have a logical conversation with these people because everything just goes back to the evil plan of mullahs and that everything they do is to destroy Iran, even what is perceived as good is only a plot for a worse coming. Their views does not necessarily reflect Iranians in Iran.

Thanks. The religiosity of Iranians, their racism, or the lack of both aren't of a big concern to me. I sometimes write my observations here and there in an attempt to understand the geopolitics that "very much rules me". @AmirPatriot accused me of being overly biased and I had therefore to respond. Back to the subject, I don't just get my information from Iranians living abroad. I could be wrong, but I always felt that Iranians generally are not in total peace with their faith, due to many factors, including the Pahlavi Era's mass-secularization and adoption of utopian type of Persian nationalism. Added to this, is the general disappointment with the Islamic Revolution's management of the country after 1979.

Also, one must add to it, the fact that the Persian psych is still (knowingly and unknowingly) in a deep hurt of what it perceives as adhering to a faith carried to them by inferior nomadic people (as they say). It is hard to just understand how paradoxical Iranians can get. Their core religious belief is that Imam Ali should have been the World's first leader right after the prophet. However, his leadership should not have extended to Iran which should have remained saved and cleansed from his rule (though he actually ruled Iran for 5 years and 3 months). Why? b/c another core-belief in Persian nationalism makes the fall of the Sassanian dynasty as the World's most horrendous disaster. Go figure.

Thanks. The religiosity of Iranians, their racism, or the lack of both aren't of a big concern to me. I sometimes write my observations here and there in an attempt to understand the geopolitics that "very much rules me". @AmirPatriot accused me of being overly biased and I had therefore to respond. Back to the subject, I don't just get my information from Iranians living abroad. I could be wrong, but I always felt that Iranians generally are not in total peace with their faith, due to many factors, including the Pahlavi Era's mass-secularization and adoption of utopian type of Persian nationalism. Added to this, is the general disappointment with the Islamic Revolution's management of the country after 1979.

Also, one must add to it, the fact that the Persian psych is still (knowingly and unknowingly) in a deep hurt of what it perceives as adhering to a faith carried to them by inferior nomadic people (as they say). It is hard to just understand how paradoxical Iranians can get. Their core religious belief is that Imam Ali should have been the World's first leader right after the prophet. However, his leadership should not have extended to Iran which should have remained saved and cleansed from his rule (though he actually ruled Iran for 5 years and 3 months). Why? b/c another core-belief in Persian nationalism makes the fall of the Sassanian dynasty as the World's most horrendous disaster. Go figure.

Sorry akhi but you are constantly shooting made up BS.

No one in Iran cares about some Sassanian grand persian empire. lol. You have no idea of Iranian society do you ? The Iran that you see today is not Persia or descendant of some Aryan Persian dynasty from BC times. You have become so obsessed with the word Persian that you have literally started to count it as some ethnic identity with preserved DNA from ancient times of Xerxes the great, which it is not. Like any other group on earth, its more of a lingual community then anything (same case is with arabs). Modern day Iran is a melting pot of central asian and middle eastern identities. Majorly Turkic-Iranic identities (they both overlap massively btw). Descent wise its Persian, Scythian, Turkic, Turan, Semite at the same time. I am an Azeri Turk with Turanid eyes but my country is Iran, makes sense? my pseudo mongoloid turk ancestors must have collided with isfahanis or khorosanis in medieval times but we are here as one nation now. Thats what time does to any nation. German americans don't have grudges against British or French Americans. They are all americans now. A significant number of iranians probably were not even inside Iran when Achamenids, Parthians or Sassanids were ruling entire Middle Central area for centuries after centuries. To me as an Iranian person, Islam is just a religion which I identify with Muhammad, Quran etc. I dont identify it as an arab religion. No one does in non arab islamic countries. I can give a very clear example of people who own this forum, lets keep that in the vault for a while.

You are a saudi right, descendant of semite peninsulan identity, which I respect but do you know if your ancestors actually opposed or supported Muhammad by choice ? were they even inside peninsula at that time ? may be they were massacred by islamic militia or converted by force, if thats the case should you not hold grudge against the very same religion that you are accusing Iranians of hating ? descendants of early most arab converts and the people they cut heads of in local wars at times of Muhammad, both live in Saudia arabia as saudi arabians now right. Would they hold grudges against each other ? Modern day identities are as synthetic as past ones were. You as a saudi, should you not hold grudge against Medieval nomadic barbarian Turks or Ancient Iranians because they both at some time attacked, annexed, played you as their vassal for centuries ? I am not trying to mock you I am asking you to open your eyes and try to see the world beyond your hatred.

and btw no one in iran sees saudis as "inferior nomadic people".

read above.

Kul att se en till Iranier ifrån Sverige här :)
Jag är inte online mycket nu för tiden, men jag brukar läsa trådarna här ibland.

Iaf, Ta honom med en nypa salt. Mycket utav det han säger är skitsnack, och han håller på såhär med flit,han trollar mycket och är rätt sjuk i huvudet, som dom flesta utav hands landsmän här är.

Om du undrar varför folk är så hårda mot han så är det för att dom inte har bra erfarenheter med honom.
Kollar du hans historia här på forumet så kan du bland annat se hur många gånger han bokstavligen skrivit att han hatar Iran,Iranier/Perser och har sagt att han är väldigt anti-Iranier/Perser. Etc.

Iranians are the least racist people I know.
They dont like the backwardness of he Arabs.... but then again, no one likes the Arabs.... not even the Arabs like Arabs....but Iranians are indeference towards Arabs... simply because Arabs havent achieved anything to talk about.

As for racisem againt other Iranians.....it has to be mentioned that Azaris, shirazis and Esphanis are Arians just like all other Iranians.... there are ofcourse jokes made about different people in different cities... but thats certainly not racism. Actually this kind of thing exists in all countries.

You can see how non racist Iranians are by how well they treat foreigners in Iran and how well they integorte in foreign countries. Very much unlike Arabs.

@Full Moon, first of you got a really good answer from @drmeson. IMO all of his points are balanced and spot on.

The religiosity of Iranians, their racism, or the lack of both aren't of a big concern to me.

Cool!

I sometimes write my observations here and there in an attempt to understand the geopolitics that "very much rules me".

The more views you gather the better understanding you will have. So your approach is sound. However I would strongly suggest you to actually visit Iran. First hand information (Iranians) in the correct context (Iran) is key for good understanding.

I could be wrong, but I always felt that Iranians generally are not in total peace with their faith, due to many factors, including the Pahlavi Era's mass-secularization and adoption of utopian type of Persian nationalism. Added to this, is the general disappointment with the Islamic Revolution's management of the country after 1979.

Iranians not being in peace with their religion is IMO a too big of a generalisation. I get your point because I have met individuals that, as you describe, are not at peace with themselves and their religion. However there are large portion of the population who are believers and in total peace with themselves. Personally I prefer the Iranians who are true muslims compared to many other Iranians, especially the culture-less-LA-wannabe-nose-surgery-fakes. Mind you I am not a practicing muslim myself.

Also, one must add to it, the fact that the Persian psych is still (knowingly and unknowingly) in a deep hurt of what it perceives as adhering to a faith carried to them by inferior nomadic people (as they say).

You having met many Iranians probably know that we have no abundance of self confidence. Iran has been run over by many different nationalities. All of them are inferior to us lol
Joking aside. Personally I think the strength of Iran is the fact that it is such a melting pot with so many influence. I embrace them all, from Greek to Roman to Byzantine to Arab to Mongol to Ottoman. Fact of the matter is that we have influenced all of the invaders so that they themselves carry parts of our culture with them.

Specifically regarding the Sassanian down fall. It was for the best. Iran was exhausted from a 600 years of war with the Roman and then the Byzantine empires. At the time there was a devastating civil war as well.

It is hard to just understand how paradoxical Iranians can get. Their core religious belief is that Imam Ali should have been the World's first leader right after the prophet. However, his leadership should not have extended to Iran which should have remained saved and cleansed from his rule (though he actually ruled Iran for 5 years and 3 months). Why? b/c another core-belief in Persian nationalism makes the fall of the Sassanian dynasty as the World's most horrendous disaster. Go figure.

Let's agree to disagree. I really don't see Iranians core-belief being that the fall of Sassanian dynasty being the most horrendous disaster.

Kul att se en till Iranier ifrån Sverige här :)
Jag är inte online mycket nu för tiden, men jag brukar läsa trådarna här ibland.

Iaf, Ta honom med en nypa salt. Mycket utav det han säger är skitsnack, och han håller på såhär med flit,han trollar mycket och är rätt sjuk i huvudet, som dom flesta utav hands landsmän här är.

Om du undrar varför folk är så hårda mot han så är det för att dom inte har bra erfarenheter med honom.
Kollar du hans historia här på forumet så kan du bland annat se hur många gånger han bokstavligen skrivit att han hatar Iran,Iranier/Perser och har sagt att han är väldigt anti-Iranier/Perser. Etc.

Kul att se en till iranier-svensk här!

Tack för förklaringen! Jag tycker ändå att han håller god ton. Alltså, de andra medlemmarna från SA är helt från vettet, dem kan man inte ens ha en logisk konversation med. Sen tycker jag att det är kul med lite motstånd. Det kan bli lite för mycket ryggdunkningar i det här forumet ibland :)

Back
Top Bottom