What's new

Fully Automated Strategic Command and Control Support System (SCCSS)

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In multi-tube cruise missile Hatf-VII Babur’s test, National Command Authority’s fully automated Strategic Command and Control Support System (SCCSS) was once again employed. It enables robust command and control capability of all strategic assets with round the clock situational awareness in a digitised network centric environment to decision makers at National Command Centre (NCC).
The system has the added capability of real-time remote monitoring of missile flight path. The test consolidates and strengthens Pakistan’s deterrence capability and national security.
The successful test has also been appreciated by the President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf and chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, who congratulated the scientists and engineers on their success.

Pakistan test fires nuclear-capable Hatf-VII Babur – The Express Tribune

Whenever it is said that the SCCSS was employed during a test launch, I think that a possible cold-test of the missile's nuclear warhead design was also conducted. Because test verification of functionality of nuclear warhead electronics (for successful detonation mechanism) is the thing which can also be easily used to test the robustness of the Command and Control System.

Obviously NCC, PALs and ESDs are not required for conventional weapon testing.

may be testing variable yeild mechanism?
Because those steategic warheads can be adjusted for different yeilds according to the target..
So Pakistan is working on miniature nuclear weapons....a 1960's technology.

Whenever it is said that the SCCSS was employed during a test launch, I think that a possible cold-test of the missile's nuclear warhead design was also conducted. Because test verification of functionality of nuclear warhead electronics (for successful detonation mechanism) is the thing which can also be easily used to test the robustness of the Command and Control System. Obviously NCC, PALs and ESDs are not required for conventional weapon testing.

Cold test of nuclear warhead electronics in a command and control system!

The desired attributes could be tested via separate system environment, where the data is transferred for appropriate analysis. However, such a possibility in a command and control system environment, to me, does seem remote. Could you please elaborate a bit, me being a novice may not have complete understanding.

may be testing variable yeild mechanism?
Because those steategic warheads can be adjusted for different yeilds according to the target..
So Pakistan is working on miniature nuclear weapons....a 1960's technology.

No, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Pakistan doesn't has the luxury of thousands of nuclear weapons, so that some are the variable-yield (WE.177 type). Also, developing those might involve a lot of technical complications.
Yes. In recent past, all the new nuclear delivery weapons introduced have pretty small warheads (mass + dimensions).

Cold test of nuclear warhead electronics in a command and control system!

The desired attributes could be tested via separate system environment, where the data is transferred for appropriate analysis. However, such a possibility in a command and control system environment, to me, does seem remote.

No, I said that it is possible, that both the SCCSS-employment and cold-test were conducted simultaneously.

The cold-test for verifying functionality of warhead electronics (that they will perform perfectly after a stressive boosted launch and ~half-an hour's flight). And the SCCSS for practicing the protocol of authorization of use of nuclear weapons (Two-man rule, PALs, ESDs etc), both specifically for Babur GLCM, as it is a new system.

Agreed, but an almost-fully functional nuclear device test, through a weapon platform can provide the perfect oppurtunity.

No, I said that it is possible, that both the SCCSS-employment and cold-test were conducted simultaneously.

The cold-test for verifying functionality of warhead electronics (that they will perform perfectly after a stressive boosted launch and ~half-an hour's flight). And the SCCSS for practicing the protocol of authorization of use of nuclear weapons (Two-man rule, PALs, ESDs etc).

Agreed, but an almost-fully functional nuclear device test, through a weapon platform can provide the perfect oppurtunity.

Yes, a simultaneous conduct of such a test is certainly possible. And a confirmation to such an effect can almost in near real time may be given to the command and control system, if it indeed needs such a confirmation.

Through high speed data transfer, the data can be transferred to different systems simultaneously for working of different algorithms in order to provide desired out put.

There is no word anywhere on Pakistan's miniature nuclear weapons.
It was complicated technology in 1960,isnt anymore.

then try to build self- nuclear energy plant that could help i guess

^^ Try to read the difference between controlled/contained and uncontrolled/uncontained nuclear reactions.

Please educate me, how can a nuclear weapon be of "mulitple yield" ??

There is X amount of fissile material in the war head, to be fused with Y amount to go critical. Once that happens there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of controlling how much of X actually fuses with Y.

As for controlled / moderated reactions ... there are a lot of control systems that go behind that. You can not package that into a warhead.

This is why, making a bomb is much more easier than making a reactor.

coming back to the topic. I will be very interested to know what was "äutomated" in the SCSS ?

I referred to the "dial-a-yield" system in B61 Gravity Bombs (but I was mistaken since they are thermonuclear, not boosted fission). The correct example in this case would be the British WE.177A, which weighed 272 kg (600 lb), and had a variable yield of 10 kt or 0.5 kt. Of course we have boosted fission warheads, but IMO they have fixed yields, because the process adds to the complexity of the design.

Please educate me, how can a nuclear weapon be of "mulitple yield" ??

There is X amount of fissile material in the war head, to be fused with Y amount to go critical. Once that happens there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of controlling how much of X actually fuses with Y.

As for controlled / moderated reactions ... there are a lot of control systems that go behind that. You can not package that into a warhead.

This is why, making a bomb is much more easier than making a reactor.

coming back to the topic. I will be very interested to know what was "äutomated" in the SCSS ?

Not multiple, rather "Variable Yield".

You are talking about the gun-type fission weapon design. Here, a boosted implosion-type weapon design is being discussed, in which variable amounts of tritium can be introduced to change the yield.

Here is an example:
WE.177 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most variable yield nuclear weapon designs are two-stage, thermonuclear ones:
Variable yield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the minimum yield is also results in an uncontrollable chain reaction. Variable yield provides an advantage of full spectrum deployment.

Maybe something on the lines of US NCC, with authorized launch orders being issued through a highly survivable communications setup. So that clear orders to launch/abort can be given in real time.
Or perhaps testing of a Pakistani version of the Nuclear Football.

what stops pakistan from persuing fusion weapons?
Much more efficient they are.

Maybe something on the lines of US NCC, with authorized launch orders being issued through a highly survivable communications setup. So that clear orders to launch/abort can be given in real time.
Or perhaps testing of a Pakistani version of the Nuclear Football.

My question remains, what was AUTOMATED and to what degree.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom