CENTCOM

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fulbright Alum Helps Islamabad Street Kids Find a Better Future
By U.S. Dept of State

130107_guitar.jpg

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (January 2, 2013) — Jawaid is a four-year-old trash picker. He wants to be a tree when he grows up.

At least, that's what he tells his teacher during an art class sponsored by the LettuceBee Kids project in Islamabad, Pakistan.

"But you are not a tree," the teacher tells him. "If you don't like where you are, you can move."
That's the idea behind the LettuceBee initiative, which helps street kids like Jawaid move beyond a life of begging and trash picking, and re-integrate back into society through art, music, and mentorship.
The brainchild of Sarah Adeel, a Fulbright alumna and graduate of Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), the idea for LettuceBee Kids came about when she was in Pakistan in 2008 conducting research for her master's thesis on child welfare in South Asia.

"I was doing a comparative analysis between orphanages and foster-care homes, and these were some of the most abysmal places you could imagine," Adeel explains. "I spent hours getting to know the children. One day, I asked them to write letters to whomever they missed the most, and most of the letters were addressed to God. When I saw them having nobody but God to write to, I knew I wanted to help these kids who, by the luck of the draw, were born on the roadsides."

After graduating from RISD in 2009, Adeel returned to her native Pakistan to launch the LettuceBee Kids non-profit organization with fellow alums Jabbar Bangash, a Global UGRAD alum who earned his degree from Carleton University, Mohsin Ali Afzal, a Fulbright alum and graduate of UC Berkeley, and Zainab Feroz Kapadia, a Fulbright alum and graduate of Columbia University. The United States invests more in the Fulbright Program in Pakistan than in any other country in the world and supports numerous other exchange programs that together have resulted in a Pakistan-U.S. Alumni Network of more than 12,000 registered members.

An estimated 1.2 million children are on the streets of Pakistan's major cities, according to the Asian Human Rights Commission. Many survive by scavenging at garbage dumps or taking on menial jobs. Others resort to stealing and prostitution. The team behind LettuceBee Kids wants to help these children find a better future.

With the aid of a $5,000 Alumni Small Grant from U.S. Embassy Islamabad in 2012, LettuceBee Kids piloted its art therapy program, "LettuceBee Design," offering regular art classes to the street kids of Islamabad. So far, seven classes have been held, at locations ranging from local parks to schools, and even the zoo. The Embassy's Alumni Small Grants program helps exchange program participants contribute to their communities on their return to Pakistan.

"The LettuceBee project is changing these children's lives and their community," says Assistant Cultural Affairs Officer Laura Brown. "It's a great example of how a Small Alumni Grant can help make a big difference."

An art exhibit is slated for February 2013 in Islamabad, and the long term plan is to transform the children's artwork into a greeting card line, in order to generate revenue and make the program self-sustaining.

Next up for LettuceBee Kids are a community garden project, and the launch of the LettuceBee Band program, which offers music classes to the street kids.

Boston-based bluegrass group Della Mae, which is touring Central Asia with the State Department's American Music Abroad, was one of the first bands to offer a class for the LettuceBee kids during a tour stop in Islamabad last November.

"We played a few songs for them and then taught them how to sing 'This Little Light of Mine' in English," writes band member Courtney Hartman. "...I passed my guitar around to the girls, and to see their surprise and excitement as they strummed a guitar for the first time in their life was priceless."

For Adeel and the LettuceBee team, ultimately the goal is to help kids like Jawaid get off the street, find their light, and let it shine. We can't afford not to, she says, because these children are Pakistan's future.

"Pakistan has the potential to become an economic power in South Asia," Adeel concludes. "If nurtured, educated and trained properly, these children can be turned into a massive productive force and progressive citizens of Pakistan."

Abdul Quddus
DET-United States Central Command
U.S. Central Command

Trash pickers are poor Afghan refuges.

^^^^
Another wasted effort on PR while those policies of said country can drive an old, sick, homeless man sitting in a coma on a wheelchair with every bone in his body missing and wrinkled flabby skin into terrorism.

So you think making up Muslim names is funny? I am Mr Pinto? Or how about Abdul Quddus?... Woah... sounds like some real Wahabi terrorist from Saudi Arabia. There must be a lot of fun in the centcom office by the way during the naming process...

which name is the best?
Soldier a) Bin Laden
Soldier b) Mullah Umar
Sarge: Stop it guys it can't be a terrorist.
Soldier d) How about Abdul Quddus.
Sarge: Perfect

Those messages you post are either not genuine words of a person of Muslim background or they are basically something given down from the top. People notice these things. Please no more joking around. Spend half as much time correcting your policy and no one will complain. :lol:

This would be pretty nice if it wasn't being used as another failed Public relations effort. Thanks for the development. Focus on policies would be much better. This is just re-compensation for our massive losses.

^^^^
Another wasted effort on PR while those policies of said country can drive an old, sick, homeless man sitting in a coma on a wheelchair with every bone in his body missing and wrinkled flabby skin into terrorism.

So you think making up Muslim names is funny? I am Mr Pinto? Or how about Abdul Quddus?... Woah... sounds like some real Wahabi terrorist from Saudi Arabia. There must be a lot of fun in the centcom office by the way during the naming process...

which name is the best?
Soldier a) Bin Laden
Soldier b) Mullah Umar
Sarge: Stop it guys it can't be a terrorist.
Soldier d) How about Abdul Quddus.
Sarge: Perfect

Those messages you post are either not genuine words of a person of Muslim background or they are basically something given down from the top. People notice these things. Please no more joking around. Spend half as much time correcting your policy and no one will complain. :lol:

Dear haviZsultan,

I guess no one told you that the United States of America is home to some seven or so million Muslims. Many have lived here for generations so it should not be surprising to you if you come across people with Muslim names who work for the United States government. I am one of them. I am a first generation Muslim who chooses to work for his government. I love my work and believe in the CENTCOM mission. I do not understand what you meant when you wrote, “those messages you post are either not genuine words of a person of Muslim background.” I have never said anything anti-Muslim on this or any other forums we engage. I believe my country gives me the freedom of religion which never comes in question or interferes with the work that I do here. On this thread all I wanted to do was give this forum’s readers a story of hope in these dark days or terrorism and hurt. I feel you missed the point.

Abdul Quddus
U.S. Central Command

Dear haviZsultan,

I guess no one told you that the United States of America is home to some seven or so million Muslims. Many have lived here for generations so it should not be surprising to you if you come across people with Muslim names who work for the United States government. I am one of them. I am a first generation Muslim who chooses to work for his government. I love my work and believe in the CENTCOM mission. I do not understand what you meant when you wrote, “those messages you post are either not genuine words of a person of Muslim background.” I have never said anything anti-Muslim on this or any other forums we engage. I believe my country gives me the freedom of religion which never comes in question or interferes with the work that I do here. On this thread all I wanted to do was give this forum’s readers a story of hope in these dark days or terrorism and hurt. I feel you missed the point.

Abdul Quddus
U.S. Central Command

I personally do not really believe that.

I have never stated that I felt Muslims have been offended. But with that comment my dear fellow you have proven that instead of Mr Abdul Quddus a Mr Pinto or even someone from amongst Indian allies like Raj Malhotra may be sitting there. :lol:

Those who feel offended at little things unfortunately are the Wahabi Mullahs and Islamists like cousin @Zarvan you have been supporting in my land, which is the land of Sufi practices, Pir Roshan and the Din E Elahi all of which are highly influenced by secularism. Our National poet Iqbal supported Ataturk and his secularization. Do not try to make the claim my butt hurts each time you provoke fanatics you created with 3-4 Billion dollars of aid to Zia Ul Haq for his pathetic Jihad against the Soviets.

I personally refuse to believe that Abdul Quddus may actually not be your real name which I stated earlier.

You might feel there exists here a sense of distrust for the United States. Perhaps you are absolutely right. But maybe you can ask yourselves the vital question how your foreign policy has been against the Pakistani state for decades while this same state has historically been aligned with the United States.

This initiative that is being harped as a USAID campaign is a service to humanity but its message is being lost-especially the moment it is linked to the hegemonic US war machine.

Pakistan's losses in the War on Terror have reached $80 Billion, this is just re-imbursement the way we see it and it doesn't cover the whole cost if you look at the fact that the maximum amount of aid we may have received is $10-17 Billion.

If by doling out money here and there wars could be won there would be no problems for a country like the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:
By U.S. Dept of State

130107_guitar.jpg

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (January 2, 2013) — Jawaid is a four-year-old trash picker. He wants to be a tree when he grows up.

At least, that's what he tells his teacher during an art class sponsored by the LettuceBee Kids project in Islamabad, Pakistan.

"But you are not a tree," the teacher tells him. "

Crushing the poor kid's dream, he wanted to be a tree, let him

What beautiful propaganda!

Man, I can do a better job, hire me!

People of Muslim origin very easily recognize these things. Those messages are either coming from higher ups and the role of Abdul Quddus is no more of a keyboard warrior :D or Abdul Quddus does not in reality exist.

I will also give a very simple example that should largely settle the matter. The total population of Muslims in the US armed forces 10,000-20,000 as a whole and many estimates suggest there are more Wiccans (practitioners of witchcraft) than Muslims in the armed forces. The total US armed forces make up 3 Million in total, active and reserve personnel. The muslims are barely .006% here. Its a surprise one is working for CENTCOM.

Basically the Americans will deny this because it will cause a loss of face to accept strategic and policy blunders they have committed in the past.

By U.S. Dept of State

130107_guitar.jpg

"But you are not a tree," the teacher tells him. "If you don't like where you are, you can move."
That's the idea behind the LettuceBee initiative, which helps street kids like Jawaid move beyond a life of begging and trash picking, and re-integrate back into society through art, music, and mentorship.
The brainchild of Sarah Adeel, a Fulbright alumna and graduate of Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), the idea for LettuceBee Kids came about when she was in Pakistan in 2008 conducting research for her master's thesis on child welfare in South Asia.

"I was doing a comparative analysis between orphanages and foster-care homes, and these were some of the most abysmal places you could imagine," Adeel explains. "I spent hours getting to know the children. One day, I asked them to write letters to whomever they missed the most, and most of the letters were addressed to God. When I saw them having nobody but God to write to, I knew I wanted to help these kids who, by the luck of the draw, were born on the roadsides."

After graduating from RISD in 2009, Adeel returned to her native Pakistan to launch the LettuceBee Kids non-profit organization with fellow alums Jabbar Bangash, a Global UGRAD alum who earned his degree from Carleton University, Mohsin Ali Afzal, a Fulbright alum and graduate of UC Berkeley, and Zainab Feroz Kapadia, a Fulbright alum and graduate of Columbia University. The United States invests more in the Fulbright Program in Pakistan than in any other country in the world and supports numerous other exchange programs that together have resulted in a Pakistan-U.S. Alumni Network of more than 12,000 registered members.

An estimated 1.2 million children are on the streets of Pakistan's major cities, according to the Asian Human Rights Commission. Many survive by scavenging at garbage dumps or taking on menial jobs. Others resort to stealing and prostitution. The team behind LettuceBee Kids wants to help these children find a better future.

With the aid of a $5,000 Alumni Small Grant from U.S. Embassy Islamabad in 2012, LettuceBee Kids piloted its art therapy program, "LettuceBee Design," offering regular art classes to the street kids of Islamabad. So far, seven classes have been held, at locations ranging from local parks to schools, and even the zoo. The Embassy's Alumni Small Grants program helps exchange program participants contribute to their communities on their return to Pakistan.

"The LettuceBee project is changing these children's lives and their community," says Assistant Cultural Affairs Officer Laura Brown. "It's a great example of how a Small Alumni Grant can help make a big difference."

An art exhibit is slated for February 2013 in Islamabad, and the long term plan is to transform the children's artwork into a greeting card line, in order to generate revenue and make the program self-sustaining.

Next up for LettuceBee Kids are a community garden project, and the launch of the LettuceBee Band program, which offers music classes to the street kids.

Boston-based bluegrass group Della Mae, which is touring Central Asia with the State Department's American Music Abroad, was one of the first bands to offer a class for the LettuceBee kids during a tour stop in Islamabad last November.

"We played a few songs for them and then taught them how to sing 'This Little Light of Mine' in English," writes band member Courtney Hartman. "...I passed my guitar around to the girls, and to see their surprise and excitement as they strummed a guitar for the first time in their life was priceless."

For Adeel and the LettuceBee team, ultimately the goal is to help kids like Jawaid get off the street, find their light, and let it shine. We can't afford not to, she says, because these children are Pakistan's future.

"Pakistan has the potential to become an economic power in South Asia," Adeel concludes. "If nurtured, educated and trained properly, these children can be turned into a massive productive force and progressive citizens of Pakistan."

Abdul Quddus
U.S. Central Command

What a load of BS. Is this the carrot before the stick? Focus on your policies about Pakistan instead of this nonsense! Drone just killed 16 people today, two were kids.... What about those kids?

I personally do not really believe that.

I have never stated that I felt Muslims have been offended. But with that comment my dear fellow you have proven that instead of Mr Abdul Quddus a Mr Pinto or even someone from amongst Indian allies like Raj Malhotra may be sitting there. :lol:

Those who feel offended at little things unfortunately are the Wahabi Mullahs and Islamists like cousin @Zarvan you have been supporting in my land, which is the land of Sufi practices, Pir Roshan and the Din E Elahi all of which are highly influenced by secularism. Our National poet Iqbal supported Ataturk and his secularization. Do not try to make the claim my butt hurts each time you provoke fanatics you created with 3-4 Billion dollars of aid to Zia Ul Haq for his pathetic Jihad against the Soviets.

I personally refuse to believe that Abdul Quddus may actually not be your real name which I stated earlier.

You might feel there exists here a sense of distrust for the United States. Perhaps you are absolutely right. But maybe you can ask yourselves the vital question how your foreign policy has been against the Pakistani state for decades while this same state has historically been aligned with the United States.

This initiative that is being harped as a USAID campaign is a service to humanity but its message is being lost-especially the moment it is linked to the hegemonic US war machine.

Pakistan's losses in the War on Terror have reached $80 Billion, this is just re-imbursement the way we see it and it doesn't cover the whole cost if you look at the fact that the maximum amount of aid we may have received is $10-17 Billion.

If by doling out money here and there wars could be won there would be no problems for a country like the United States.
USA terrorists don't support anything until and unless it destroys our values and cultures liberals jerks have become slaves of USA that even if they USA abuse their family and kill them they feel proud because USA did that no body is here smarter than ALLAH and his PROPHET SAW and they have clearly said in the Quran and Sunnah that Kafirs will be never happy with you until and unless you become one of them

You assholes are psycho, US groups do a lot of charity work not just in Pakistan but in the world. You may not agree with US foreign policy heck half the time I don't but that doesn't' mean you should dismiss the good being done by people who are just like you and me. Oh yeah and @haviZsultan why cannot this rep be a Muslim? Both my cousins have been in the US military and one still is. My brother plans on joining and I plan on joining the navy after my bachelor's so it is not such a stretch. Stop looking for conspiracies everywhere.

You assholes are psycho, US groups do a lot of charity work not just in Pakistan but in the world. You may not agree with US foreign policy heck half the time I don't but that doesn't' mean you should dismiss the good being done by people who are just like you and me. Oh yeah and @haviZsultan why cannot this rep be a Muslim? Both my cousins have been in the US military and one still is. My brother plans on joining and I plan on joining the navy after my bachelor's so it is not such a stretch. Stop looking for conspiracies everywhere.

No conspiracy, his style of writing is suspect. That article lacks any compassion, whatsoever, it's a generic newspaper piece that Fox News can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom