What's new

From secular to communal in under 3 minutes

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France

NEW DELHI: At a time when India is discussing communal politics and its probable impact, a short film on the same subject has gone viral on social media. The three-minute movie shows how humankind can go from being secular to communal in moments.

The video that has got over 1.7 lakh views in less than two weeks, portrays the gullibility of the human mind and how our faiths hang by a thread.

Titled 'Bombay Mirror', the film directed by Shlok Sharma, is a satire on the unpredictability of human nature.

The film is about a Hindu barber and a Muslim man, who has come to his salon for a quick shave before an important job interview. As the barber readies his blade, they witness a young man being brutally beaten by a mob wearing skull caps.

The two men, who were earlier indulging in a friendly banter, can now be seen staring at each other with hatred and fear.

What happens next leaves the audience numb.

Sharma, who loves studying human behaviour, says, "It is actually a dig on fanaticism. Sometimes the way we behave under a particular circumstance, catches even us by surprise. And these behavioural patterns exist without any bars of social pressures, upbringing, economic status, educational backgrounds, genders - they exist because we exist."

The film, shot in 2010, was never officially released. "I honestly have no idea why it never got released. There were five of us who had made films on various subjects, as part of one single campaign by UTV and Aircel," says Shlok, who is humbled by the response the film has received.

"The others went ahead and uploaded theirs a while back. I am actually the last one to do so. Films are made for an audience," he adds.

Shlok Sharma is currently working on his first feature film, Haraamkhor, starring Nawazzuddin Siddiqui. He has earlier been associated with films like Gangs of Wasseypur, Omkara, Dev D to name a few.

Viral video: From secular to communal in under 3 minutes - The Times of India

A very nice Film, The scene outside the barber is depicting the politics and media portrayal of exaggerated threats and the Barber as the ordinary citizen who got excited because of propaganda.

There is no need to get disturbed and destroy the harmony and peace of the society just because some one did communal politics for votes.

And that is the middle name for propaganda! Always show Muslims bad and make life tough for them...

Was the white caps necessary for the director?

Communalism sprouts when we discuss it... Stop discussing about it... Only then it will fade out... There are number of issues in our country that need to be addressed...:lazy:

I beg to disagree. It has to be spoken about, the more people speak about it the more we will be able to spread a modicum of awareness. Saffronisation or Islamisation are evils that need to combated by taking the bull by its horns.

Of a different note however, its rather interesting that one of the most communal members on Defence.pk, @MBI Munshi comes about preaching about communalism.

How the world comes around. ... "Main karu to sala, character dheela hai!" :-):-)

And that is the middle name for propaganda! Always show Muslims bad and make life tough for them...

No one is depicting muslims as bad , In the film a Hindu also killed the muslim the similar way ..... :cheers:

This video is all about cooling down the Indian society now that they got votes ............. It is like taking people back to normal after elections.

No one is depicting muslims as bad , In the film a Hindu also killed the muslim the similar way ..... :cheers:

This video is all about cooling down the Indian society now that they got votes ............. It is like taking people back to normal after election heat.
So its all based on revenge?!

this is exactly whats wrong with muslim mentality you didnt get the video instead you somehow make yourself look like a victim you failed to notice how the hindu guy killed the muslim stop with that double standards

So its all based on revenge?!

The film depicts an ordinary citizen getting excited based on religious feelings and what he saw on the road .... He switched to revenge mentality after watching what happened outside ...... common human psychology which is being exploited by politicians since ages.

The film is a message to not to do communal riots because of politics done by politicians.

this is exactly whats wrong with muslim mentality you didnt get the video instead you somehow make yourself look like a victim you failed to notice how the hindu guy killed the muslim stop with that double standards
No you with your mentality didnt get what I pointed out...

You see something happening on your street and you take matters in your own hands? Even one who you know soo well that you even know the mother?

You mentality failed you from seeing that! Nice

Was it not the white cap the only clue the barber had?

That is what I said but you spoke your mentality so what can I say! Because in your head whatever a Muslim says its to make himself look like a victim! :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

Talking about double standards ...look in the mirror that is what the video asked you to do also!

The film depicts an ordinary citizen getting excited based on religious feelings and what he saw on the road .... He switched to revenge mentality after watching what happened outside ...... common human psychology which is being exploited by politicians since ages.

The film is a message to not to do communal riots because of politics done by politicians.
That is what I asked....

It was a movie shooting where the director depicted a Muslim (based on his white cap) to be the killer...

All the barber saw was the white hat ...without thinking whom he was killing was an individual who he knows....yet he killed him...

The video also showed how media plays an important role in exploiting this psychology! That is what I am pointing out based on the fact that the video was based on a "movie shooting" ...

Hence I talked about the media...

Back
Top Bottom